IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Orange Early Upgrade
Views: 29,491
# 1
Lauzlou
Old 26-12-2011, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Orange Early Upgrade

Has anyone tried this?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
grumbler
Old 26-12-2011, 11:59 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

You seem to be really desperate...
Will you keep starting new threads every 15 minutes until you get a reply?
We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
.definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
should have, NOT should of
.....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
# 3
stclair
Old 26-12-2011, 6:13 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lauzlou View Post
Has anyone tried this?
You can normally upgrade 3 months before your current contract ends then the remaining months are added onto your next contract.

I think you can buy yourself out of your contract now at a discounted rate should you want to upgrade earlier.
I Work For NatWest
However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
# 4
robbies_gal
Old 26-12-2011, 6:40 PM

this is the new one right they charge you a percentage of what remains on your contract to get a new phone i think

dont know anyone whos done it yet
What goes around - comes around
# 5
stclair
Old 26-12-2011, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabbyevs View Post
this is the new one right they charge you a percentage of what remains on your contract to get a new phone i think

dont know anyone whos done it yet
Yeah im with orange and wanted to upgrade my phone early and they said I could make a one off payment to buy myself out the rest of the contract. I would recommend you call them up and ask them what your options are that would i did then it was mentioned then.
I Work For NatWest

Last edited by stclair; 26-12-2011 at 6:47 PM.
# 6
robbies_gal
Old 26-12-2011, 6:48 PM

how much did they charge you for an early upgrade then or did you just leave
# 7
stclair
Old 26-12-2011, 6:51 PM

Quote:
how much did they charge you for an early upgrade then or did you just leave
I did not do it in the end as I had 5 months remaining of my contract and you can upgrade anyway when you have 3 months left of your contract so it wasnt worth it. I was just being impatient as I wanted the iphone 4s.
I Work For NatWest
# 8
robbies_gal
Old 26-12-2011, 8:20 PM

oh so you paid to leave? or you waiting for the 3 months now

mine is up end of jan
# 9
daleski75
Old 28-12-2011, 11:03 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you can upgrade 3 months early does that mean if you pay off the 3 months then when you renew it's back to a 18/24 month contract and doesn't become a 21/27 month contract?

Or do you have to pay off the full 6 months to make sure you only renew on a 18/24 month agreement?
# 10
robbies_gal
Old 02-01-2012, 7:01 PM

just bumping this as would also like to know if you get to start a new contract or it jsut gets added on
# 11
Tony5101
Old 02-01-2012, 7:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you upgrade early, Orange simply add the remaining amount of your current minimum term onto the end of your new term. Eg upgrading 3 months early means your new minimum term is then set to either 21 or 27 months based on 18/24 month contracts.
You can't shorten your commitment by upgrading early.
# 12
robbies_gal
Old 02-01-2012, 7:53 PM

actually just found this:-

Early Upgrade terms and conditions
If you are a SIM Only customer on an 12 or 18 month contract or a pay monthly customer on any other type of plan, and are more than 6 months into your contract with more than 3 months to go before the end of your minimum term, we will let you upgrade onto a new pay monthly price plan with new phone if you pay your Early Upgrade Fee. You can’t upgrade to a 30 day SIM Only plan. Your new price plan will have a new minimum term and you might have to pay to get the phone you want.
You won’t be eligible for Early Upgrade if you pay by direct debit or cheque and have outstanding debt on your account. Early Upgrade is not available for mobile broadband or business customers.
The Early Upgrade Fee will be calculated as a lump sum equal to the total monthly line rental due for the remaining period of your minimum term (on a pro rata basis if you are part way through a monthly billing cycle). We’ll then apply a discount to that amount to get to your final Early Upgrade Fee. You’ll need to pay your Early Upgrade Fee straightaway unless we advise you otherwise.
If your monthly line rental already has a promotional discount we might use that lower amount to calculate your Early Upgrade Fee and your promotional discount may continue to apply to your new price plan. However, this is not always the case, so please ask instore for details.
You can either keep your own Orange phone or trade it in for cash using our Recycle and Reward scheme. You can read the full Recycle & Reward terms and conditions here: http://www.orangerecycle.co.uk/infor...rms-conditions
You can decide to cancel your Early Upgrade by telling us within 14 days. You will need to return your new phone. We’ll then put you back on your original price plan and at the same point in your minimum term, and either pay you the Early Upgrade Fee or credit it to your account. Because we can’t get your old phone back, the 14 day cancellation policy does not apply if you have chosen to recycle your old phone with Recycle and Reward.
# 13
one hot minute
Old 02-01-2012, 8:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I broke my phone and was getting charged £140 from apple for a replacement iPhone 4. Orange let me upgrade to the 4s 7 months early by paying £150. It was just after the news of their price increases broke but they allowed me to sign up to a cheaper contract too. It was only £2 cheaper but it was something. Plus I was able to keep my broken phone which sold for £210 on eBay.
The Following User Says Thank You to one hot minute For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Tony5101
Old 02-01-2012, 8:04 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
actually just found this:-

Early Upgrade terms and conditions
If you are a SIM Only customer on an 12 or 18 month contract or a pay monthly customer on any other type of plan, and are more than 6 months into your contract with more than 3 months to go before the end of your minimum term, we will let you upgrade onto a new pay monthly price plan with new phone if you pay your Early Upgrade Fee. You can’t upgrade to a 30 day SIM Only plan. Your new price plan will have a new minimum term and you might have to pay to get the phone you want.
You won’t be eligible for Early Upgrade if you pay by direct debit or cheque and have outstanding debt on your account. Early Upgrade is not available for mobile broadband or business customers.
The Early Upgrade Fee will be calculated as a lump sum equal to the total monthly line rental due for the remaining period of your minimum term (on a pro rata basis if you are part way through a monthly billing cycle). We’ll then apply a discount to that amount to get to your final Early Upgrade Fee. You’ll need to pay your Early Upgrade Fee straightaway unless we advise you otherwise.
If your monthly line rental already has a promotional discount we might use that lower amount to calculate your Early Upgrade Fee and your promotional discount may continue to apply to your new price plan. However, this is not always the case, so please ask instore for details.
You can either keep your own Orange phone or trade it in for cash using our Recycle and Reward scheme. You can read the full Recycle & Reward terms and conditions here: http://www.orangerecycle.co.uk/infor...rms-conditions
You can decide to cancel your Early Upgrade by telling us within 14 days. You will need to return your new phone. We’ll then put you back on your original price plan and at the same point in your minimum term, and either pay you the Early Upgrade Fee or credit it to your account. Because we can’t get your old phone back, the 14 day cancellation policy does not apply if you have chosen to recycle your old phone with Recycle and Reward.
Ok, so all that tells you is that you can upgrade early outside of the normal upgrade window, by paying up your remaining months minimum commitment. If you take this route, then there would be no additional term, as you've already wasted probably quite a bit of money paying for service that you won't receive.
Your choice I guess.
# 15
robbies_gal
Old 02-01-2012, 8:20 PM

im not saying i would do it just that it answers the question if its added on or not
# 16
Tony5101
Old 02-01-2012, 8:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Ahh...I see. I thought you were looking to actually do it.
# 17
richardvc
Old 02-01-2012, 8:56 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Without being boring why would you want to upgrade with Orange ?

The company are shysters - upping the costs of millions of their contract customers in the middle of those contracts.

Who would really want to stay with a company that cannot be trusted ?
Pre June 2005 - Money Waster
Fervent MSE'r and have reclaimed charges back from AMEX and A&L - approx 2.5k
June 25th 2005 - Lightbulb Moment & 37k in debt
June 23rd 2010 - I am totally debt free and it feels great !!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richardvc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
robbies_gal
Old 02-01-2012, 9:02 PM

didnt vodafone do it aswell though

its up tothe individual who they want to pay money to
# 19
jasonwatkins
Old 02-01-2012, 11:18 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony5101 View Post
Ok, so all that tells you is that you can upgrade early outside of the normal upgrade window, by paying up your remaining months minimum commitment
With a discount on top as well -not sure if it's a fixed discount or applied based on length of time with orange ?
# 20
wandos
Old 03-01-2012, 2:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwatkins View Post
With a discount on top as well -not sure if it's a fixed discount or applied based on length of time with orange ?
The guy in the local Orange shop told me it was calculated as

(Monthly line rental x months remaining) - VAT

Then a 33% discount applied as a "loyalty bonus"
The Following User Says Thank You to wandos For This Useful Post: Show me >>