Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

    Overhead power line compensation.
    • #1
    • 25th Dec 11, 10:20 PM
    Overhead power line compensation. 25th Dec 11 at 10:20 PM
    Hi All,

    I had a letter a few days ago regarding compensation for power lines that cross over my house.

    This was from a company called PCC who claimed to have been acting for the previous owner and been very close to the end of the claim after the previous owner had an offer.

    I have since moved in around 3 months ago and they advise that I am entitled to this payment.

    First I phoned up the electric company direct who confirmed this was the case and after numerous callback I spoke to the man who was handiling the case and he advised the power company had offered 4173.

    He did advise that I would have an easement with the electric company and they would then have permission to run the power lines over the house he also added that the likly hood of getting the moved or removed was next to none.

    I then phoned PCC who advisd that they would charge 1000 for there services so I would get 3173 but the man at the electric compnay did advise I can apoint my own solicitor and they would pay reasonable costs meaning I would get the full amount.

    So my question is has anyone on here heard off or done this before and if yes what restrictions adds to your property.
Page 6
    • jinx19
    • By jinx19 10th Mar 17, 7:59 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Help I have just recieved a card through the door ref power lines over my house
    Is there anyone currently going through this at mo? I have a LV ? Cable going over the roof of my property. Please can anyone of companies to go through or do you instruct a solicester? Any advice I would be grateful for

    Thanks )
    • Suffolkpixie
    • By Suffolkpixie 11th Mar 17, 3:39 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Yes we are the same, have posted on here but no replies or answers as yet. Thinking about just doing it myself.
    • cloudberry45
    • By cloudberry45 12th Mar 17, 7:34 PM
    • 305 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    We have had letters from PCC with regards to compensation. We have 2 poles across our land, cables going over our outbuildings. We have had to allow access for maintenance recently (the pole does supply our electricity so we would always allow it).

    Purchased our house for 475k 18 months ago but is worth much more now and valued a lot higher due to being grade listed. Our letter from PCC estimates 2k payment which is no where near the 2-3% value of property but I understand every case is different.

    Im not keen on the 20% + VAT they want to take. Have looked at Thomson Broadbent but they take the same. The Powerline Company take 12% and no VAT from what I can see but are only taking on new cases if they are the EHV pylon types.

    Does anyone know of any other companies? I guess it may be worth waiting for TPC to take on new cases in the future as the difference in fees is very high. Or does anyone know if you can negotiate the fees?
    baby boy born 01/01/2012 my New Years Day Boy
    • sharon6264
    • By sharon6264 10th Apr 17, 11:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Overhead Power Lines Compensation
    Hi there - I have also received a letter re getting compensation for power lines - I have wooden poles (HV) on my land. I'm thinking about trying to claim myself to avoid paying out 20%. Anyone done this? If I find out anything I will post here.
    • 44polo
    • By 44polo 20th Apr 17, 10:32 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Do it yourself, claim companies take 20% for nothing and also get paid by the utility company for their trouble as well!
    • 44polo
    • By 44polo 20th Apr 17, 11:22 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Feel free to ask any questions and I will be able to help
    • Suffolkpixie
    • By Suffolkpixie 20th Apr 17, 2:02 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    How do I go about doing this on my own? Can any solicitor help me with this or do they have to specialise in this field?
    • 44polo
    • By 44polo 26th Apr 17, 3:26 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Simply contact your DNO which will be the likes of SSE, WPD, UKPN for example (dependant where you live and which network you fall under). Say you wish to submit an injurious affection claim and they are obliged to tell you who and where to send your claim to. Simple as that - unless you want to give an agent 20%. Agents can typically take between 1,000 and 10,000 for a land registry search and phone call so it is worth spending half an hour and doing it yourself as it is not difficult.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,772Posts Today

6,503Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

  • Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

  • Ugh another one trying it! Beware

  • Follow Martin