Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    taffy056
    Diesel Particulate Filter
    • 24th Dec 11, 4:57 PM
    Diesel Particulate Filter 24th Dec 11 at 4:57 PM
    Hiya guys,

I have a Mazda 6 turbo diesel and the DPF light and management light has come on, its a high miler 85k on a 57 plate, I have run over it 2000 rpm for quite a few miles and its not cleared with regeneration, and was wondering my next step with this.

I was thinking of having it taken out and the ecu reprogrammed , but its expensive at about £500 , there are quite a few people selling snakeoil that claims all sort of things. The garages are saying thousands to replace the thing.

Anyone got an alternative ? Thanks and Happy Christmas
Page 1
  • Trebor16
    • 24th Dec 11, 5:28 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 5:28 PM
    Have they said that the DPF needs replacing? If so your options are to have it replaced, which won't be cheap, or to have it removed and the management system reprogrammed. Although this is coming in at £500 it is far cheaper than a new DPF.

Are you a member of any Mazda forums? If not it might be worth looking for them to see if other owners have had the same issues and how they sorted it out.

A quick Google search showed this:-

http://www.sinspeed.co.uk/blog/tag/mazda-6-dpf-problems/
    Last edited by Trebor16; 24-12-2011 at 5:36 PM.
    • flashg67
    • By flashg67 24th Dec 11, 5:37 PM
    • 2,261 Posts
    • 1,490 Thanks
    flashg67
    • 24th Dec 11, 5:37 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 5:37 PM
    DPFs can be cleaned out but that's still around £400 - I've seen it done successfully on some of the fleet cars at work
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 24th Dec 11, 5:42 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 5,558 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 24th Dec 11, 5:42 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 5:42 PM
    Your next step is to get rid of the car asap. The Mazda DPF system is a joke, they get round this by warning you in the handbook to check things, do this, do that etc. Get the oil level checked now. If it is diluted or above max there is danger of the car running on and blowing itself up.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 24th Dec 11, 6:47 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    • 24th Dec 11, 6:47 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 6:47 PM
    Daveyjp is spot on, the best view of one of these cars is from the rear with a new owner (who didn't research first either) driving away whilst it's still running.
  • Trebor16
    • 24th Dec 11, 7:11 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 7:11 PM
    Daveyjp is spot on, the best view of one of these cars is from the rear with a new owner (who didn't research first either) driving away whilst it's still running.
    Originally posted by gilbert and sullivan
    The trouble is more and more diesels are being fitted with them.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 24th Dec 11, 8:05 PM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 5,558 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 24th Dec 11, 8:05 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 8:05 PM
    Which is why my current car has a simple petrol engine. Diesels are now for those who don't pick up the tab when it all goes wrong.
  • taffy056
    • 24th Dec 11, 8:13 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 8:13 PM
    Can't get rid of it I am afraid so I am stuck with it, it has been serviced regularly by mazda and the next one is in 2500 miles, the oil is fine and not diluted in any way, guess I will have to get the thing removed to solve the problem, the car is perfect by the way I love mazdas and have never had any problems with them, well until now!
    • SCO
    • By SCO 24th Dec 11, 10:00 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    • 24th Dec 11, 10:00 PM
    • 24th Dec 11, 10:00 PM
    Can't get rid of it I am afraid so I am stuck with it, it has been serviced regularly by mazda and the next one is in 2500 miles, the oil is fine and not diluted in any way, guess I will have to get the thing removed to solve the problem, the car is perfect by the way I love mazdas and have never had any problems with them, well until now!
    Originally posted by taffy056
    Have heard with the vauxhall's if you take it out and jet wash it does the job.

maybe would work for you.

worth a try before spending £500.
    • SCO
    • By SCO 24th Dec 11, 10:02 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    SCO
    Originally posted by Trebor16
    All new diesels have them now.
    • atrixblue.-MFR-.
    • By atrixblue.-MFR-. 24th Dec 11, 10:27 PM
    • 6,463 Posts
    • 4,488 Thanks
    atrixblue.-MFR-.
    if your handy with a set of spanners, and have a pressure washer handy, and a dry garage or car port get it up on axle stands, take the thing off, (disconnect battery) and wash it out. usually you have to top up with elloys fluid, these usually a filler funnel in or around the rear arches (tyre removal required) top it back up. put all back together and do a 30 min long run for the ecu to relurn. EML should stay off.

then save up get the EGR valve,DPF removed AND ecu reprogramed
    I make spelling mistakes, its not intentional, its a condition I have please afford people who have these conditions some respect and not single out their posts for correcting mistakes.
    • gilbert and sullivan
    • By gilbert and sullivan 25th Dec 11, 12:39 AM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,140 Thanks
    gilbert and sullivan
    Originally posted by Trebor16
    Indeed but not everyone elses system fills the sump with fuel causing diluted engine oil to rise in level causing only rapid engine bearing wear if you're lucky, and a completely destroyed engine of you're not, and the best bit is it's the owners fault...nice one.

I've had at least one Diesel in my stable since the early 80's, when one of my current cars which is Diesel reaches the end of its useful life it is most unlikely it will be replaced with another unless its an oldie...then you have the worry did the previous owner decide to run it on home brew muck and thats now on its last legs too...
  • flyingscotno1
    Certainly I've had few problems with my cars DPF, granted I use the motorway for a spell on my commute.

The technology is certainly not ideal but I have heard of more issues online with Mazdas than any other make.

I remember seeing on the M77 a car- not sure what make as couldn't see it, on the hard shoulder white smoke everywhere drifting across the road. I was down to 5 mph crawling past! It seemed very much like a diesel munching on its own oil to me.
  • Weird Nev
    I remember seeing on the M77 a car- not sure what make as couldn't see it, on the hard shoulder white smoke everywhere drifting across the road. I was down to 5 mph crawling past! It seemed very much like a diesel munching on its own oil to me.
    Originally posted by flyingscotno1
    TO be fair, that could be any one of a number of failures, not many of which are down to DPFs

But the more I read about DPF's, the more scared I am of them! Looks like petrol will be the way forwards for second hand cars in my future. Just a sahme 90% of everything are diesels now, as everyones been ocnvinced that they MUST have a diesel.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Dec 11, 2:43 AM
    • 13,102 Posts
    • 17,318 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    There is no need to be afraid of DPF's, just do your research. If you do a low mileage, lots of short trips or drive like a granny, buy a petrol engined car.

The model of car I have has been fitted with a DPF since its introduction in 2006. I'm a member of quite an active international owners's forum and I have yet to see anyone having any problems at all with the DPF, even on the older cars.

The thing just does its job and regenerates when necessary, I assume. I say assume because if it has regenerated I've never been aware of it. The bonus is absolutely no nasty, greasy, soot out the tailpipe and a no diesel smell at all. It smells more like the exhaust from a gas central heating boiler.
    • tripled
    • By tripled 25th Dec 11, 3:02 AM
    • 2,441 Posts
    • 1,098 Thanks
    tripled
    When the DPF blew in my car, I was advised by the mechanic to have a new one as "you're not supposed to take them out". A bit of digging proved him correct as on one forum someone has posted a reply from Vosa saying you can't remove them as it is against Construction and Use (it may increase emissions) even where the ECU is reprogrammed (sorry I didn't keep the link).

However, not being able to get hold of one from a scrappy, and at 600 notes for a new one plus fitting, a return trip to the mechanic resulted in a more reasonable amount of cash changing hands (20 quid) for which he took out the core and welded the unit back together. Apparently he will also get a few quid for the core as it was made from precious metals. As for the C&U stuff? For 600 nicker I'll take the chance. They aren't likely to find out.
  • Trebor16
    When the DPF blew in my car, I was advised by the mechanic to have a new one as "you're not supposed to take them out". A bit of digging proved him correct as on one forum someone has posted a reply from Vosa saying you can't remove them as it is against Construction and Use (it may increase emissions) even where the ECU is reprogrammed (sorry I didn't keep the link).

However, not being able to get hold of one from a scrappy, and at 600 notes for a new one plus fitting, a return trip to the mechanic resulted in a more reasonable amount of cash changing hands (20 quid) for which he took out the core and welded the unit back together. Apparently he will also get a few quid for the core as it was made from precious metals. As for the C&U stuff? For 600 nicker I'll take the chance. They aren't likely to find out.
    Originally posted by tripled
    I think you did you digging in the wrong location as a DPF can be removed without any legal problems.
    • andrew-the-cat
    • By andrew-the-cat 25th Dec 11, 1:46 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    andrew-the-cat
    As far as I know diesel engined cars do not require a DPF or catalytic converter by law. Manufacturers just fit them for emissions reasons - at the end of the day you end up paying less tax on the car, which makes it more appealing to potential buyers.

I had the catalytic converter removed from my old diesel Peugeot, and a straight piece of exhaust pipe welded in its place. It went through 2 MOT's fine like that.

Petrol cars after 1993(?) I believe must have a catalytic converter.

My current car has a DPF too, it hasn't been into regeneration yet but I am advised that the best thing to do when it is, is to take it up the dual carriageway at 70mph in 4th gear for a bit to clear it.
  • taffy056
    Thanks for the advice guys, its booked back into the garage tomorrow, so will go from there
  • Flyboy152
    Hiya guys,

I have a Mazda 6 turbo diesel and the DPF light and management light has come on, its a high miler 85k on a 57 plate, I have run over it 2000 rpm for quite a few miles and its not cleared with regeneration, and was wondering my next step with this.

I was thinking of having it taken out and the ecu reprogrammed , but its expensive at about £500 , there are quite a few people selling snakeoil that claims all sort of things. The garages are saying thousands to replace the thing.

Anyone got an alternative ? Thanks and Happy Christmas
    Originally posted by taffy056
    But a new DPF would only cost you about four hundred pounds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,730Users online

Martin's Twitter