IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
how old is my boiler?
Closed Thread
Views: 5,081
# 1
just_looking
Old 16-12-2011, 9:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default how old is my boiler?

Is there a way of working out how old my glow worm ultimate cf50 boiler is? It's on the blink, has been for a while, boiler engineer says its getting old and I need a new one, but I've no idea how old it is. Is there any information on it- serial numbers or anything that indicate how old it actually is?
# 2
mr_vampy
Old 16-12-2011, 11:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Do you have any log book or registration details to say when it was installed? From looking at google it says from 1993, but I'm not 100% certain.
# 3
karl-123
Old 17-12-2011, 10:46 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default boiler

the older the boiler " the better the boiler "

cast iron, wall mounted, and floor standing boilers, last for

decades, fifty years minimum............

parts are available or should be kept in stock,

and they are easy to repair.............bye.......

The Following User Says Thank You to karl-123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
cepheus
Old 17-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I have a glow worm spacesaver 22-30 which is 30 years old at least. Gas engineer tried to get me to replace it with a condensing one, although it would have meant a lot of work due to location issues.

He said it might last another few years, that was 5-6 years ago. Still no problems.

Parts suppler for 50 CF MKll here
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Last edited by cepheus; 17-12-2011 at 11:03 AM.
# 5
SailorSam
Old 17-12-2011, 11:00 AM

The older boilers are less efficient, so the newer ones should be more economical to run.
Bur i'm beginning to wonder if that's true, my combi is broken at the moment and they're saying it might need renewing even though it's only 8yrs old. Is it more economical to have a more efficient boiler if they last less than 10yrs.
Now that i'm what you could describe as an older person i've stopped eating health foods.
I need all the preservatives i can get.

# 6
just_looking
Old 17-12-2011, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_vampy View Post
Do you have any log book or registration details to say when it was installed? From looking at google it says from 1993, but I'm not 100% certain.
Got nothing, I checked Google and 93 seemed to crop up. It's Donald ducked according to boiler man, making a right racket, 'wear and tear' 'getting on a bit' etc etc ' keep it on minimum to stop noise' 'should see you through the winter' 'best of luck' etc. bust wondered how old it was to justify possible replacement. And god knows how much that'll cost!
# 7
cepheus
Old 17-12-2011, 12:47 PM

Do you live in a hard water area? My boiler was making an awful noise before they serviced it. I think the heat exchanger just needed descaling. Have you tried using an additive in the heating water? Make sure it is the right type to actually get rid of scale then put in the type to prevent it building up. It still kettles a bit on start up of the flame, but relatively quiet after a minute.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. Edmund Burke

Last edited by cepheus; 17-12-2011 at 12:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cepheus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
dan23uk
Old 17-12-2011, 1:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Glowworm ultimate 50cf ceased production in 2001, so it's at least 10 years old. Parts are still readily available though.

Dan
The Following User Says Thank You to dan23uk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
gas4you
Old 17-12-2011, 4:25 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Not much to go on one of these.

What sort of noise is it giving?
# 10
just_looking
Old 17-12-2011, 4:49 PM
MoneySaving Convert

It's making random bang noises, popping noises, and last Sunday night it sounded like an aeroplane taking off in the airing cupboard, I thought it was about to blow the doors off! I had to leg it downstairs and turn the power off
# 11
cepheus
Old 17-12-2011, 4:55 PM

Quote:
Noisy boiler or heating pipes

If your boiler or heating pipes are making hissing or banging noises, you should address the problem immediately. Ignore it and you might find yourself needing expensive repairs or even a new boiler.

Don't imagine that fixing a noisy boiler is as simple as wielding a spanner yourself. The majority of boiler problems require the skills of a Gas Safe Register approved heating engineer. But there are a few checks that you can perform – which won't endanger lives and could help you give an engineer more information about the nature of the problem.

Scale in the heating system

The build up of scale can cause 'hot spots', which produce steam bubbles that make a loud bang. The problem can be treated with a chemical descaler, found at most DIY stores.

This will involve:
  1. Shutting down the system
  2. Adding the product to the feed and expansion tank
  3. Leaving it to work for a few days
  4. Draining, flushing through and refilling the system
Boiler thermostat is set too high or is faulty

First, try lowering the boiler thermostat. Unfortunately, while this may stop the noise, it might also lower the radiator temperatures. If the boiler thermostat is faulty it will need to be replaced by a Gas Safe Register approved engineer.

Insufficient water flow to the boiler

There are a number of possible reasons why there isn't enough water getting through to your boiler, so you should check the following:
  • Water flow rate
    With modern, wall-hung, light-weight gas boilers, water flow rate is particularly important. Check that the mains water is on. If it is, check your feed and expansion tank (if you have them, they're usually found in the loft).
  • Float valve
    1. First, shut down your central heating boiler.
    2. Locate the tanks and double check that the float valve isn't stuck. If it is, you'll have to move its metal arm to release it.
    3. Check that the open safety-vent pipe is correctly installed. If not, air can get into the system, causing noise in the boiler. If this is the case, you'll need to enlist the help of a professional heating engineer.
  • Frozen water supply pipe
    If this doesn't work and it's currently very cold outside, then it's possible your water supply pipe may have frozen.
Lack of water pressure in your boiler

If the problem is a lack of water pressure, the pressure indicator on your central heating boiler will usually indicate that it needs to be increased
http://www.homeserve.com/help-advice...-heating-pipes

Last edited by cepheus; 17-12-2011 at 5:00 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cepheus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
just_looking
Old 17-12-2011, 5:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes, we were told to turn thermostat down, but also the pump was on 1 so that's gone up to circulate more water, but chap said its just old, he's not the first to say its on It's last legs! I know there's sludge in it, when I moved in 6 years ago there was a blockage shortly after, and British gas tried the power flushing line, but so did my independent round the corner guy!
# 13
cepheus
Old 17-12-2011, 9:28 PM

This may be of interest,

How old should your boiler be before you replace it?

it provides a link to a database which lists the efficiency of boilers, even discontinued ones!

it is easier to go to 'view boiler database' then 'gas boilers' then 'refine search' before entering your search term.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cepheus For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
karl-123
Old 18-12-2011, 10:11 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default kettling

it sounds to me like your boiler is " kettling "

or local boiling

sludge and scale trapped in the heat exchanger bottom,
is causing local boiling,

the air is not free to boil in water,it is boiling in pockets of
scale/sludge,

clean your system, put fernox f3 in for a week,
shut off all rads bar one

drain and refill and drain with clean water,
add fernox f1
The Following User Says Thank You to karl-123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
just_looking
Old 18-12-2011, 12:07 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Problem being I can't turn the downstairs radiators- they're stuck on!
# 16
Gloomendoom
Old 18-12-2011, 1:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam View Post
The older boilers are less efficient, so the newer ones should be more economical to run.
Bur i'm beginning to wonder if that's true, my combi is broken at the moment and they're saying it might need renewing even though it's only 8yrs old. Is it more economical to have a more efficient boiler if they last less than 10yrs.
No, it's another green con. In the long term the modern "high efficiency" boiler costs more than a traditional boiler and uses more of the world's valuable resources.

I will only replace my 37 year old Potterton when I am forced to. I'd buy another if I could.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gloomendoom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
missprice
Old 18-12-2011, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloomendoom View Post
No, it's another green con. In the long term the modern "high efficiency" boiler costs more than a traditional boiler and uses more of the world's valuable resources.

I will only replace my 37 year old Potterton when I am forced to. I'd buy another if I could.
thank you
I am of the same opinion that its a con. my very old (30+ years) boiler is still going strong and in the time I have lived here it has needed 2 valves at around £70 each (just to add been here 15 years)
would tell you what make but cant remember and with nasty kidney infection back I wont leg it up the stairs to have a look..
its in a cupboard upstairs and nicely dries four towels or pairs of jeans overnight, and saves me the bother of using the dryer for several hours in winter, so it may well use a little more gas than a new all singing and dancing condesing boiler but it saves me hours of electirc drying time
and as a bonus it keeps the upstairs a bit warmer, cos I have no rads up there.

cant help OP but can say the valve that broke did make a awful clattering noise when the heating kicked in, which is how I realised it was broken
Aim to win £2014 of prizes in 2014.
Won a book a tesco voucher, hamper,dremel mutitool.higgidy popchips
So far £184.98
118 mortgage payments to go.

Last edited by missprice; 18-12-2011 at 5:38 PM. Reason: spelling
# 18
cepheus
Old 18-12-2011, 5:54 PM

I have hung off for various reasons, but to be fair, I think many new technologies have teething troubles and the problems were due to inexperienced fitters and servicers as much as the boilers themselves.

There are numerous reports that the German brands such as Bosch and Valiant are reliable. As might be expected they have been doing this for decades and would consider expelling almost a third of your energy up the exhaust then moaning about gas bills as ludricous.

See this thread from 2006-2011

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=310812

This report from 2005 seems to confirm this as well

Quote:
Mr Cooper says his firm has avoided problems by limiting their list of recommended suppliers. His maintenance offshoot, which looks after 10,000 domestic boilers, limits itself to just one supplier - the German firm Worcester Bosch. He says he is considering including another German firm, Vaillant, on his list. "We are looking at it at the moment. I have to say the German brands are ahead of the British machines by a mile."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2005...s.jobsandmoney

Last edited by cepheus; 18-12-2011 at 6:17 PM.
Closed Thread