Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DamInc
    • By DamInc 16th Dec 11, 9:05 AM
    • 15Posts
    • 8Thanks
    DamInc
    Egg Card PPI Claim - Where To Send?
    • 16th Dec 11, 9:05 AM
    Egg Card PPI Claim - Where To Send? 16th Dec 11 at 9:05 AM
    Hi all,

I'm in the process of making a claim against Egg for PPI on a credit card I opened in 2003. What with the move to Barclaycard though, I'm a little confused about who and where I should be sending my questionnaire.

Should I be sending directly to Egg:

Egg Card
    Riverside Road
    Pride Park
    Derby
    DE99 3GG

Or Barclaycard? Has anyone been through the PPI process with Egg lately and can confirm where to send the form?

Thanks in advance all!
    Competition wins so far:

July 2010 - VIP night for 4 at Chicago Rock Cafe Walsall

Page 2
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 31st Jan 17, 2:36 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,330 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    would they hold information though if its on an old card/loan from over 10 years ago? Like I said I do have 1 account number which i think is from the Credit Card.
    Originally posted by steve_swift
    Only way you will find out is if you ask, nobody else knows. Some keep older records, some don't. If your account was closed before Egg was sold it's possible they wouldn't transfer them

By the way PPI usually did cover self-employed people, it's a claims company myth that it didn't. It's only a miss-sale if they didn't cover you or the conditions were so onerous that you couldn't claim without say dissolving the business which the FOS don't like
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 31st Jan 17, 7:56 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    If you have no details, send a SAR to egg/canada square operations....
    Originally posted by -taff
    Excuse my lack of understanding but what is DSAR and SAR? Is there a template letter I can use?
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 31st Jan 17, 8:47 PM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,330 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Excuse my lack of understanding but what is DSAR and SAR? Is there a template letter I can use?
    Originally posted by Jb_1982
    DSAR is a Data Subject Access Request - it's a request for a copy of all the records they still hold on you. It costs £10 and there is no guarantee they will still hold any. I saw a recent post on here that indicated Citibank (Canada Square) no longer charge for them.

There is a sample template here

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1475553
    • Jb_1982
    • By Jb_1982 31st Jan 17, 10:03 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    Jb_1982
    It looks as though a SAR is something I won't need to do by the looks of things. My barclaycard account is still open, so what's my next step?
    • -taff
    • By -taff 1st Feb 17, 6:22 AM
    • 7,354 Posts
    • 4,784 Thanks
    -taff
    Complain to barclaycard.

Then the loan goes to citibank
    • steve_swift
    • By steve_swift 1st Feb 17, 10:01 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steve_swift
    misold
    how can you prove you was misold the ppi if it was an online application. I have looked at an application form and its asking questions to prove you was misold. During the pre credit crisis I was one of the people that fell foul of overspending on credit and had various cards and loans all that contained PPI. Out of all them I did not ever read or realise about the protection. I think the credit cards sold it to me as insurance and not as PPI so not sure if that is the same thing? I do remember Natwest selling me PPI on a large loan which I paid off 4 years early in full but then took another loan out with them a year later which they went into great detail about PPI and said it would not cover me and offered me income protection instead. Are these two related?

Sorry for all the questions just reading some of the success stories I feel its about time I got round to putting in a claim as I have ignored for the last 8 or so years keep saying Il do it one day!

Thanks
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 1st Feb 17, 10:07 AM
    • 4,179 Posts
    • 2,330 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    how can you prove you was misold the ppi if it was an online application. I have looked at an application form and its asking questions to prove you was misold. During the pre credit crisis I was one of the people that fell foul of overspending on credit and had various cards and loans all that contained PPI. Out of all them I did not ever read or realise about the protection. I think the credit cards sold it to me as insurance and not as PPI so not sure if that is the same thing? I do remember Natwest selling me PPI on a large loan which I paid off 4 years early in full but then took another loan out with them a year later which they went into great detail about PPI and said it would not cover me and offered me income protection instead. Are these two related?

Sorry for all the questions just reading some of the success stories I feel its about time I got round to putting in a claim as I have ignored for the last 8 or so years keep saying Il do it one day!

Thanks
    If PPI was ordered online then there are only 2 reasons why it would be miss-sold:

1) Pre-ticked box (where you had to opt out of it) - the banks that did this and the time periods they did it for are well known so you have to be sure this applies to you, you can't just it as a blanket reason
    2) If the wording of the application appears to lean towards being "advised" - phrases like "we strongly recommend you take this policy"

If the wording of the application simply explained the policy benefits and was opt-in (i.e. you ticked the box to request it) you are highly unlikely to get a miss-sale upheld as it's considered "miss-bought"
    • steve_swift
    • By steve_swift 1st Feb 17, 11:28 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    steve_swift
    Im pretty sure it was worded on the sites to say that it would be in your best interests to take out insurance on the card in case you were ill etc. As it was so long ago its almost impossible to remember what wording was on there. And not having any paperwork other than the account number I feel i might be just wasting my time
    • Placida
    • By Placida 1st Feb 17, 11:48 AM
    • 183 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Placida
    Im pretty sure it was worded on the sites to say that it would be in your best interests to take out insurance on the card in case you were ill etc. As it was so long ago its almost impossible to remember what wording was on there. And not having any paperwork other than the account number I feel i might be just wasting my time
    The FOS have upheld complaints where a ppi policy was added to an Egg credit card account when the applicant applied online and was self-employed.

You might find these links useful.

“I’ve decided to uphold Mr O’s complaint because I don’t think Egg gave him clear enough information about the policy. I say this because Mr O has said he was self-employed at the time of sale. And the policy contained conditions that made it more difficult for self-employed people to claim the unemployment benefit.”

http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=87168

Or

“I’ve decided to uphold Miss C’s complaint because she was self-employed when she took out the policy. I think the wording on the policy makes it more difficult for self-employed workers to claim unemployment. So, I think this means that it’s unlikely Miss C could’ve used one of the main benefits from the policy. And I haven’t seen anything to show that Egg gave Miss C clear enough information about this when she took out the policy. I don’t think she would’ve bought the policy if she’d had more information about it. So, I think Miss C has lost out because of what Egg did wrong”

http://www.ombudsman-decisions.org.uk/viewPDF.aspx?FileID=77309
    Last edited by Placida; 01-02-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: omission
    • ennis
    • By ennis 1st Feb 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ennis
    Egg Loans in DMP
    Hi I see you were dealing with PPI on an Egg Loan account that is now in DMP from 2003, did you manage to process the claim successfully?

I tried claiming through the Financial Services Compensation Scheme and they responded with this

"You cannot apply for compensation at this time...
    • FSCS is currently not accepting applications for the specified firm.
    • The product you are claiming compensation for was unregulated at the time you were given the advice to buy it"
    • Aros
    • By Aros 9th Sep 17, 9:05 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Aros
    Did you have your account number when you did this? I have nothing other than a few emails from egg, which don't have my account details. I have all my old addresses, obviously addresses, name and d.o.b, but nothing more really.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 9th Sep 17, 9:07 PM
    • 19,307 Posts
    • 9,417 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Thread is from 2011, so you're unlikely to get a response.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

310Posts Today

3,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @iiSteveJonesii: @MartinSLewis After watching you talk this morning about me burning £300 I got on a comparison site tonight & sure enou?

• In or near York? This Wed the @itvmlshow Roadshow" will be at the York Food & Drink Festival - do come and say hi; St Sampsons Square 11-4.

• It's the subtle poetry and lyricism of tweets like this that I find so endearing https://t.co/XhSKBCGyXe

• Follow Martin