Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 13th Dec 11, 12:57 PM
    • 1,219Posts
    • 3,554Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    New power of attorney guide
    • 13th Dec 11, 12:57 PM
    New power of attorney guide 13th Dec 11 at 12:57 PM

Hi, we've written a new Power of Attorney guide to help people plan ahead, and we'd love your feedback.

If you've set up power of attorney, what are your practical tips? If you're already an attorney for someone else, what advice do you have for others? What else would you add?

for your help!

MSE Jenny

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 21-12-2011 at 2:19 PM.
Page 23
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 11th Mar 18, 8:52 AM
    • 7,269 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    You need to keep it as clear and simple as possible or the application may get rejected. I dont think theres such a thing as a conditional LPA that banks and authorities will accept. Living a distance away to manage someones finances is possible today as so much is online. Ive done it. The only detail to sort is getting cash transactions done, for which you can make small and frequent transfers to the less responsible party who doesnt have an LPA.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 12th Mar 18, 7:03 PM
    • 4,883 Posts
    • 49,098 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    Making LPAs and Certifying Copies
    I got the original paperwork to do Enduring Powers of Attorney years ago for myself after both my parents became incapacitated and their affairs were a nightmare to sort out when they became very ill. My partner and I aren't married, and I wanted to make sure he could make decisions on my behalf if necessary, rather than my brothers, neither of whom are trustworthy. The paperwork was so complicated I put them in the filing cabinet for 15 years and worried about the situation rather than doing anything about it.

Last year I hauled out the paperwork, tried to understand it, gave up, read MSE Martin's advice and found this thread - thank goodness. One of the reasons LPAs are rejected is because people use out of date forms - first lesson learned, mine were a decade out of date.

Following all of the excellent information on here I made out my Finance and Property LPA and appointed OH as my Attorney and two other people as Replacements, in case anything happens to both of us at the same time. That one is registered and now that I'm relatively confident I know what's needed I'm doing the Health and Welfare one. It's slightly more complicated because I had to draw up a Living Will for one of my Replacements because he said he wouldn't be willing to act for me unless he knew exactly what my wishes were if I were unable to communcicate.

I went to Stap13s and had a stamp made which gives the wording for self-certifying copies, and got the original validated LPA photocopied at the library five times. I've certified all five of them so that in the event of either OH or the Replacements needing valid paperwork it's all ready to roll in my filing cabinet with spares for emergencies.

When I've got my Health and Welfare one registered and certified I'm going to help OH do both of his so that we're both covered.

Because I'm cash-poor I got the reduced registration rate. Overall, the whole exercise, including postage, will have cost me roughly £100, which is a darn sight cheaper than the solicitors' quotes I've seen on here at £600, or unqualified salesmen working for legal agencies who charge £180 for the two. (I had someone quote that figure to me and during our discussion it became clear that he didn't actually know as much as I'd discovered about some of the aspects of registration!) I understand the whole process a lot better having done it for myself and I thoroughly recommend it to everyone.

Thank you so much to everyone who's ever contributed to this thread, because without it I'd have really struggled to understand the ramifications of some of the decisions I needed to take when drawing up the documentation.

I heartily recommend doing it.
    Keeping it AF
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 12th Mar 18, 7:07 PM
    • 7,269 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    Job centres will certify copies of LPAs and other things for free - you donít have to be unemployed.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 12th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 7,943 Posts
    • 27,937 Thanks
    Yes, it's a helpful thread. I completed the forms for myself and my husband and got them registered but did find the exercise a little overwhelming because if you read all the notes, you worry whether any specific expressed wishes may be rejected as being out of order.
    They're now locked away in our filing cabinet and certified copies have been given to our attorneys.

I must confess I have more peace of mind now the exercise has been completed, especially having heard of two examples in our circle of acquaintances where nothings has been done and dementia and ill health are now causing families severe stress and difficulties.

Don't forget, when you've got this exercise completed, to keep a written record of all your bank accounts, etc with account numbers, addresses, phone numbers, . + NHS numbers, National Insurance number, Life insurance policies, etc. and store them with your PoA paperwork so that if needed, your attorneys have access to everything they need.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

61Posts Today

2,477Users online

Martin's Twitter