Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zenmaster
    • By zenmaster 10th Dec 11, 1:19 AM
    • 3,065Posts
    • 3,273Thanks
    zenmaster
    0 WOW
    Tesco Finest British Ham On The Bone -Was 16, Now 8
    • 10th Dec 11, 1:19 AM
    0 WOW
    Tesco Finest British Ham On The Bone -Was 16, Now 8 10th Dec 11 at 1:19 AM
    As the title says.

1.5k cooked ham on the bone (that's a lot of ham!).

Mine has a use by of 27th December so good for Christmas but I couldn't wait that long.

Sadly I forgot we are away this weekend so we are binge eating it at the moment.
    You gotta ac-cen-tuate the positive.

El-im-inate the negative

And don't mess with Mr. In-Between.
Page 1
    • izzeyb
    • By izzeyb 10th Dec 11, 6:38 AM
    • 3,470 Posts
    • 72,539 Thanks
    izzeyb
    • 10th Dec 11, 6:38 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 6:38 AM
    As the title says.

Mine has a use by of 27th December so good for Christmas but I couldn't wait that long.

Sadly I forgot we are away this weekend so we are binge eating it at the moment.
    Originally posted by zenmaster
    Was this pre-packed or off the deli counter please? TIA
    • jaimai
    • By jaimai 10th Dec 11, 7:48 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    jaimai
    • 10th Dec 11, 7:48 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 7:48 AM
    They are down the meat isle.
    • nic2075
    • By nic2075 10th Dec 11, 7:58 AM
    • 2,600 Posts
    • 15,093 Thanks
    nic2075
    • 10th Dec 11, 7:58 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 7:58 AM
    Think this is the same as the one we got last year. It was only 7 though. It was delicious and a great buy. It did us on Christmas day ( along side the turkey) then loads of sandwiches over the next few days.
  • shandypants5
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:02 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:02 AM
    Would this be ok to cut up and freeze in portions?

Only me likes ham in this house..
    Careful. We don't want to learn from this.

• diluvsdiscounts
    • By diluvsdiscounts 10th Dec 11, 8:17 AM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 16,505 Thanks
    diluvsdiscounts
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:17 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:17 AM
    Would this be ok to cut up and freeze in portions?

Only me likes ham in this house..
    Originally posted by shandypants5
    It would but I find that ham and bacon tend to be quite salty once they have been frozen.
    Life is a journey not a destination!

SPC 9 # 517 target 365

56lb to lose in 2016
    • FloFlo
    • By FloFlo 10th Dec 11, 8:21 AM
    • 32,139 Posts
    • 210,997 Thanks
    FloFlo
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:21 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:21 AM
    Was this pre-packed or off the deli counter please? TIA
    Originally posted by izzeyb
    If its the one I'm thinking of it isn't sliced already it's still on the bone for you to carve at home. It's pre packed and usually near the pre packed cooked meats or with Xmas chilled foods.
  • Malaga0034
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:41 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:41 AM
    Yes on the bone I've just picked 1 up
    All 27 Dec dates
    Is it worth 16 
    Is it worth 8 
    Get Appletv2 & XBMC in and thank me later
  • loobylou232
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:43 AM
    • 10th Dec 11, 8:43 AM
    So is it worth 8?
  • toffeeapple
    My store had them dated 02 Jan so even better, just be careful as my one had a lot of bone!!! Sounds stupid I know but didn't get a lot of meat off it!! Lovely meat though.

The one I get for boxing day will be boneless!
    A small Thank You can make a BIG difference
  • loobylou232
    My store had them dated 02 Jan so even better, just be careful as my one had a lot of bone!!! Sounds stupid I know but didn't get a lot of meat off it!! Lovely meat though.

The one I get for boxing day will be boneless!
    Originally posted by toffeeapple
    Hmm. Could you tell how much bone there was from looking at it or was the sticking out bit of bone quite narrow? Sounds even more rididculous than your post but important! I'm tempted at 8 but might just do the boneless joint I always do.
  • toffeeapple
    Its like a triangular bone so hard to judge loubyloo, you should be able to feel how close to the surface the bone is! Ones that are soft all the way round will have the most meat on! The harder ones will have more bone!
    A small Thank You can make a BIG difference
    • redfox
    • By redfox 10th Dec 11, 8:57 AM
    • 10,457 Posts
    • 30,797 Thanks
    redfox
    I got one of these last year and I was disappointed as there was almost more bone than meat! I'd expected a lot more meat for that money.

I find it's best to get a boneless ham joint and cook it yourself, at least that way you know how much meat you are getting, and the boneless ham joints are at some pretty good prices in most supermarkets just now.
    • sinw
    • By sinw 10th Dec 11, 8:57 AM
    • 7,046 Posts
    • 39,737 Thanks
    sinw
    I had two these last year but no way were they 8, i think 6 or even less.............. 18 is just dreamland price...... Was really nice though.......

pre-packed end isle
    • rebeccaj
    • By rebeccaj 10th Dec 11, 9:04 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rebeccaj
    the price of 16 is another one of Tesco's cons! These were 7 last year with no silly 'usual price of xx', just a straight 7. But to be honest it wasn't worth even 7 for the amount of decent meat on it. Far too much bone in there and impossible to tell before purchase just how much of it was bone.

I'll not be buying one this year. Once bitten, twice shy Tesco
    • rebeccaj
    • By rebeccaj 10th Dec 11, 9:05 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rebeccaj
    Originally posted by zenmaster

but you certainly don't get 1.5k of meat! Most of that is the weight of the bone.

Tesco are master con artists, no mistake!
  • Possession
    Wasn't this 7 last year and 6 the year before? Think we might need to worry more about hyper-inflation that the collapse of the euro. They were nice though.
    • sinw
    • By sinw 10th Dec 11, 9:13 AM
    • 7,046 Posts
    • 39,737 Thanks
    sinw
    the price of 16 is another one of Tesco's cons! These were 7 last year with no silly 'usual price of xx', just a straight 7. But to be honest it wasn't worth even 7 for the amount of decent meat on it. Far too much bone in there and impossible to tell before purchase just how much of it was bone.

I'll not be buying one this year. Once bitten, twice shy Tesco
    Originally posted by rebeccaj
    what u gonna buy? any alternative, i lookin for some good ham at a reasonable price for xmas xx
  • Possession
    what u gonna buy? any alternative, i lookin for some good ham at a reasonable price for xmas xx
    Originally posted by sinw
    Last weekend I roasted one of the gammon on the bones which are on offer in Tesco. Mine was 15-ish I think, but massive. Just roasted with foil over it, didn't boil. It was gorgeous. I bought another, might do that in the slow cooker.
    • rebeccaj
    • By rebeccaj 10th Dec 11, 9:17 AM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    rebeccaj
    Originally posted by sinw
    I bought an uncooked Wiltshire Cure ham joint in Tesco yesterday. They are currently reduced from 9.99 a kilo to 4.99 a kilo, and I got one about 1.9 kilos. These are off the bone so that is all meat. It was about 9.50 but I then used the 2 off Christmas ham joints that I had from some Tesco booklet I'd picked up in store at some point so it came to 7.50.

But for that I know I've got a gorgeous ham joint that will be all meat and no waste

But they also have lots of other different small and large uncooked ham joints at very good prices at the moment so go have a browse
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,218Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Leicester win the DOUBLE... the Premier League and the World Snooker Championship. Everyone's a fox tonight!

• You do wonder if anyone has told Mark Selby yet... (the jester from leicester)

• RT @MCFC: Congratulations to @LCFC on winning the Barclays @premierleague title. Well deserved. #mcfc

• Follow Martin