Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    doodoot
    Housing Benefit - 13 week protection rule?
    • 8th Dec 11, 1:29 PM
    Housing Benefit - 13 week protection rule? 8th Dec 11 at 1:29 PM
    Hi guys, am asking a question on behalf of a friend...I know someone here will know the answer.

She has lived in private rented accommodation for 2 years, paid the rent herself but wasn't aware during that time that she was entitled to HB and CTB.

She applied a couple of months ago and has been awarded both benefits.

Her letter states that her payments will drop in January because of the 13 week protection rule.

When she called the BO she was told that this is due to her paying her rent before the claim, and having not claimed in the last 52 weeks.

However, she wasn't given a reason for this rule being in place and the guy on the phone had no idea.

Luckily she is very MSE and the benefits will make life easier for her, but I'm surprised at this rule...am sure it would be a trial for those who have fallen on hard times and get less money after 13 weeks.

TIA.
    Stone walls do not a prison make, nor iron bars a cage.
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

2,728Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Thanks to @CBBC_Hacker for sending us our own Hacker, baby MSE is smitten. Altight cocker. http://t.co/mdVVz56YHD

• RT @MoneySavingExp: Hi folks - the site will be down from 10pm tonight until 8am tomorrow while we re-charge the batteries with some behind?

• Uk dominating world long jump.Who'd have thought it. Kathy Cook's British 200m record about to go I think. #Beijing2015

• Follow Martin