Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 2nd Feb 07, 2:12 PM
    • 7,256 Posts
    • 8,306 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 2nd Feb 07, 2:12 PM
    • 2nd Feb 07, 2:12 PM
    I tried to speak to someone in Epson about this, but got fed up being on hold

I know that a lot of companies won't take them as they can't recycle them, but I don't know why!

Sorry!
  • thriftyjo
    • 2nd Feb 07, 2:16 PM
    • 2nd Feb 07, 2:16 PM
    www.eco-office-supplies.co.uk they recycle all cartridges and any profit is given to the charity SENSE Epson cartridges can't be recycled as in remanufactured but they can be broken down into their basic parts as much as possible to be recycled - problem is there is no profit in this! If you email them I'm sure they will send you some of their freepost recycling bags as they have done for other people on here.
  • Amberdarcy
    • 2nd Feb 07, 5:05 PM
    • 2nd Feb 07, 5:05 PM
    Thank you, I've emailed them.
    • Graham_Devon
    • By Graham_Devon 2nd Feb 07, 6:29 PM
    • 52,455 Posts
    • 111,878 Thanks
    Graham_Devon
    • 2nd Feb 07, 6:29 PM
    • 2nd Feb 07, 6:29 PM
    Epson and certain other cartridges cannot be recycled because they are just a plastic tank. The ones that can be recycled normally have an inbuilt printhead. Therefore, can be refilled and sold again, after the printhead has been tested and cleaned up etc.

It's also the reason as to why epsons are so cheap to manufacture and sell.
    • HugoSP
    • By HugoSP 2nd Feb 07, 7:50 PM
    • 2,415 Posts
    • 1,450 Thanks
    HugoSP
    • 2nd Feb 07, 7:50 PM
    • 2nd Feb 07, 7:50 PM
    I have an Epson Photo Stylus with a 5 colour print cartrige. Are their any 5 colour kits out there?

If we can't recycle them we may as well refill them.
    Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
    £2 savings jar - now at £3.42
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 2nd Feb 07, 9:16 PM
    • 22,927 Posts
    • 10,347 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 2nd Feb 07, 9:16 PM
    • 2nd Feb 07, 9:16 PM
    I have sent our old Epson cartridges via the plastic bags you can get in Tesco. To be honest I never checked to see if they accepted Epson ones!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
  • Amberdarcy
    • 3rd Feb 07, 6:52 PM
    • 3rd Feb 07, 6:52 PM
    I emailed Eco-Office Supplies and they said they recycle any cartridge and are sending me some bags to send my used Epson cartridges back in. All they ask is that I consider them when next buying cartridges. The compatible Epson R800 cartridges are £1.95 each.
  • thriftyjo
    • 5th Feb 07, 1:40 PM
    • 5th Feb 07, 1:40 PM
    I have an Epson Photo Stylus with a 5 colour print cartrige. Are their any 5 colour kits out there?

If we can't recycle them we may as well refill them.
    by HugoSP

I tried this a few years ago, got mine from a computer market - think they saw me coming ... when I got home couldn't put the thing together - then one of my friedns told me that there were major bits missing! I hasd spent a small fortune (anything with a £ is a fortune to me)

But as you say if they can't be recycled it is probably worth trying to get them refilled. Think I will ask about this when I next need ink,
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Feb 07, 9:14 PM
    • 36,620 Posts
    • 32,801 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Cartridge World are very good at re-filling cartridges for you. I don't DIM since a nasty accident with black ink and my favourite pink trousers ...
    I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    Still knitting! 1st cardigan done, abandoned another, knitting baby bootees instead ...
  • thriftyjo
    Cartridge World are very good at re-filling cartridges for you. I don't DIM since a nasty accident with black ink and my favourite pink trousers ...
    by Savvy_Sue
    LOL sounds like we have had a simialr experience only mine ended up being carpet!

Do they refill Epson cartridges ? I'm sure I was told they don't ....
    Last edited by thriftyjo; 07-02-2007 at 9:57 AM.
    • Charis
    • By Charis 10th Feb 07, 12:47 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 11,349 Thanks
    Charis
    Epson cartridges can be refilled but you need to buy a gadget to reset the chip which counts the number of times the cartridge has been used, which then declares it 'dead' whether there is still ink in it or not. I had a magenta cartridge which failed to register as full and I had to 'recharge' it many times before the printer acknowledged its existence. The chip had been counting away and the thing was declared empty when it was still half full. My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead.
  • welshrich
    Recycling Epson Cartridges
    According to the website cartridges4charity.co.uk, Epson themselves have a facility for recycling as much as possible of their old cartridges - it's just not publicized! All you have to do is send them to the following address (please note that this is not FREEPOST and you will need to pay for postage):
    Service Materials Management (SMM)
    EPSON Telford Ltd.
    Hortonwood 40
    Telford
    Shropshire
    TF1 7YD

So it's not exactly a moneysaver but if it makes you feel happier ethically, you may be in a better frame of mind to save some money elsewhere!
    I say what I like, I like what I say!
    • Jonesya
    • By Jonesya 12th Aug 07, 7:36 PM
    • 1,127 Posts
    • 692 Thanks
    Jonesya
    I have sent our old Epson cartridges via the plastic bags you can get in Tesco. To be honest I never checked to see if they accepted Epson ones!
    Originally posted by ejones999
    They accept and recycle all ink jet cartridges but you only get clubcard points for the cartridges with the built in print heads - HP, Lexmark, Canon etc.

Plus it's a FREEPOST address!
  • Paolo99
    Recycling
    please see this link for Epson recycling
    http://content.epson-europe.com/environment/collectandrecycle/en/
    • Abbafan1972
    • By Abbafan1972 4th Nov 09, 12:09 PM
    • 4,969 Posts
    • 163,927 Thanks
    Abbafan1972
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have an Epson Stylus SX515W and am looking for some way to recycle the cartridges instead of just throwing them in the bin. :confused:

The link in the last post, just seems to take me round the houses and I get nowhere! I tried to register for the postal system and my printer isn't listed at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Total weight loss since 01/08/2015 - 6st 4lbs
    Weight left to lose - 1st 3lbs

• FergusRossFerrier
    Abbafan1972, I believe that's probably just an oversight on Epson's part, and I think you can safely choose a different printer model [probably any one you like], as all they'll do is send you out some pre-paid recycling envelopes, which you can send any Epson inkjets in.

Cartridges4Charity.co.uk/Ink/Alternatives/ lists some other ideas if that doesn't work out for you, or if you end up with other cartridges you can't recycle.
    • top_drawer
    • By top_drawer 9th Jan 10, 12:00 AM
    • 2,460 Posts
    • 3,825 Thanks
    top_drawer
    Epson cartridges can be refilled but you need to buy a gadget to reset the chip which counts the number of times the cartridge has been used, which then declares it 'dead' whether there is still ink in it or not. I had a magenta cartridge which failed to register as full and I had to 'recharge' it many times before the printer acknowledged its existence. The chip had been counting away and the thing was declared empty when it was still half full. My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead.
    Originally posted by Charis
    Hi,

Where would I buy one of these? I have an Epson D120 and it has often decided that it has No Ink when I KNOW that I have only just put the new carteridge in....

Jen
    Last edited by top_drawer; 09-01-2010 at 7:06 PM.
  • negg
    My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead
    Be careful with chip resetters. I would advise if you reset the cartridge, refill it at the same time.

The reason is simple. When the ink gets towards the bottom, it starts to push air through the printhead. When air goes through the printhead, it breaks. When it breaks on an Epson it generally means one thing. Printer in the bin. This is why Epson cartridges don't use up all the ink supplied - to protect the printer from damage.

If you reset and refill at the same time, it should hopefully stop printing when the ink is low (but not empty).
  • Trinny
    Hi All

Not sure if you have solved the Epson problem yet - but there are boxes in WH Smiths where you can post in your used printer cartridges. I think they have to be genuine famous make ones not generic ( eg tesco/wilko compatible ones)

Thought it might help

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,152Posts Today

8,423Users online

Martin's Twitter