IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Recycling Epson Cartridges
Closed Thread
Views: 30,948
# 1
Amberdarcy
Old 02-02-2007, 10:38 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Recycling Epson Cartridges

Does anyone know where I could recycle Epson cartridges (Epson Photo R800)? All the freepost bags I've seen exclude Epson.
# 2
arkonite_babe
Old 02-02-2007, 2:12 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I tried to speak to someone in Epson about this, but got fed up being on hold

I know that a lot of companies won't take them as they can't recycle them, but I don't know why!

Sorry!
# 3
thriftyjo
Old 02-02-2007, 2:16 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

www.eco-office-supplies.co.uk they recycle all cartridges and any profit is given to the charity SENSE Epson cartridges can't be recycled as in remanufactured but they can be broken down into their basic parts as much as possible to be recycled - problem is there is no profit in this! If you email them I'm sure they will send you some of their freepost recycling bags as they have done for other people on here.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to thriftyjo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Amberdarcy
Old 02-02-2007, 5:05 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thank you, I've emailed them.
# 5
Graham_Devon
Old 02-02-2007, 6:29 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Epson and certain other cartridges cannot be recycled because they are just a plastic tank. The ones that can be recycled normally have an inbuilt printhead. Therefore, can be refilled and sold again, after the printhead has been tested and cleaned up etc.

It's also the reason as to why epsons are so cheap to manufacture and sell.
# 6
HugoSP
Old 02-02-2007, 7:50 PM

I have an Epson Photo Stylus with a 5 colour print cartrige. Are their any 5 colour kits out there?

If we can't recycle them we may as well refill them.
Behind every great man is a good woman

Beside this ordinary man is a great woman
2 savings jar - now at 3.42
# 7
jonesMUFCforever
Old 02-02-2007, 9:16 PM

I have sent our old Epson cartridges via the plastic bags you can get in Tesco. To be honest I never checked to see if they accepted Epson ones!
What goes around - comes around
give lots and you will always receive lots
# 8
Amberdarcy
Old 03-02-2007, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I emailed Eco-Office Supplies and they said they recycle any cartridge and are sending me some bags to send my used Epson cartridges back in. All they ask is that I consider them when next buying cartridges. The compatible Epson R800 cartridges are 1.95 each.
The Following User Says Thank You to Amberdarcy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
thriftyjo
Old 05-02-2007, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HugoSP
I have an Epson Photo Stylus with a 5 colour print cartrige. Are their any 5 colour kits out there?

If we can't recycle them we may as well refill them.

I tried this a few years ago, got mine from a computer market - think they saw me coming ... when I got home couldn't put the thing together - then one of my friedns told me that there were major bits missing! I hasd spent a small fortune (anything with a is a fortune to me)

But as you say if they can't be recycled it is probably worth trying to get them refilled. Think I will ask about this when I next need ink,
# 10
Savvy_Sue
Old 06-02-2007, 9:14 PM

Cartridge World are very good at re-filling cartridges for you. I don't DIM since a nasty accident with black ink and my favourite pink trousers ...
I'm a Board Guide on the Cutting Tax; Charities; Small Biz & Charity Organisers; and Silver Savers boards, which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. However, do remember, Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts.

Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com

New to the Forum? Why not watch the Guide?

The Isle of Man is not as warm as the Canary Islands!
# 11
thriftyjo
Old 06-02-2007, 10:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy_Sue
Cartridge World are very good at re-filling cartridges for you. I don't DIM since a nasty accident with black ink and my favourite pink trousers ...
LOL sounds like we have had a simialr experience only mine ended up being carpet!

Do they refill Epson cartridges ? I'm sure I was told they don't ....

Last edited by thriftyjo; 07-02-2007 at 9:57 AM.
# 12
Charis
Old 10-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Epson cartridges can be refilled but you need to buy a gadget to reset the chip which counts the number of times the cartridge has been used, which then declares it 'dead' whether there is still ink in it or not. I had a magenta cartridge which failed to register as full and I had to 'recharge' it many times before the printer acknowledged its existence. The chip had been counting away and the thing was declared empty when it was still half full. My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Charis For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
welshrich
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Recycling Epson Cartridges

According to the website cartridges4charity.co.uk, Epson themselves have a facility for recycling as much as possible of their old cartridges - it's just not publicized! All you have to do is send them to the following address (please note that this is not FREEPOST and you will need to pay for postage):
Service Materials Management (SMM)
EPSON Telford Ltd.
Hortonwood 40
Telford
Shropshire
TF1 7YD

So it's not exactly a moneysaver but if it makes you feel happier ethically, you may be in a better frame of mind to save some money elsewhere!
I say what I like, I like what I say!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to welshrich For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Jonesya
Old 12-08-2007, 7:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejones999 View Post
I have sent our old Epson cartridges via the plastic bags you can get in Tesco. To be honest I never checked to see if they accepted Epson ones!
They accept and recycle all ink jet cartridges but you only get clubcard points for the cartridges with the built in print heads - HP, Lexmark, Canon etc.

Plus it's a FREEPOST address!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jonesya For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Paolo99
Old 17-11-2008, 1:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Recycling

please see this link for Epson recycling
http://content.epson-europe.com/envi...andrecycle/en/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paolo99 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Abbafan1972
Old 04-11-2009, 12:09 PM

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I have an Epson Stylus SX515W and am looking for some way to recycle the cartridges instead of just throwing them in the bin. :confused:

The link in the last post, just seems to take me round the houses and I get nowhere! I tried to register for the postal system and my printer isn't listed at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Wins for 2012:- DVD, 100 Cheque, Adidas Toiletries, Nintendo 3DS & 2 Games, Smartphone gloves, Leee John book & CD, Pure Sensia Connect Radio
Wins for 2013:- 20 M&S Voucher, Gremlins Blu Ray, 100 ASDA gift card.
Wins for 2014:- BHS 20 Gift Card, W**k sock Village candle melts
The Following User Says Thank You to Abbafan1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
FergusRossFerrier
Old 27-12-2009, 3:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Abbafan1972, I believe that's probably just an oversight on Epson's part, and I think you can safely choose a different printer model [probably any one you like], as all they'll do is send you out some pre-paid recycling envelopes, which you can send any Epson inkjets in.

Cartridges4Charity.co.uk/Ink/Alternatives/ lists some other ideas if that doesn't work out for you, or if you end up with other cartridges you can't recycle.
# 18
top_drawer
Old 09-01-2010, 12:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to top_drawer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
Epson cartridges can be refilled but you need to buy a gadget to reset the chip which counts the number of times the cartridge has been used, which then declares it 'dead' whether there is still ink in it or not. I had a magenta cartridge which failed to register as full and I had to 'recharge' it many times before the printer acknowledged its existence. The chip had been counting away and the thing was declared empty when it was still half full. My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead.
Hi,

Where would I buy one of these? I have an Epson D120 and it has often decided that it has No Ink when I KNOW that I have only just put the new carteridge in....

Jen

Last edited by top_drawer; 09-01-2010 at 7:06 PM.
# 19
negg
Old 24-01-2010, 7:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
My C84 will not function if any of the 4 cartridges is considered dead
Be careful with chip resetters. I would advise if you reset the cartridge, refill it at the same time.

The reason is simple. When the ink gets towards the bottom, it starts to push air through the printhead. When air goes through the printhead, it breaks. When it breaks on an Epson it generally means one thing. Printer in the bin. This is why Epson cartridges don't use up all the ink supplied - to protect the printer from damage.

If you reset and refill at the same time, it should hopefully stop printing when the ink is low (but not empty).
# 20
Trinny
Old 10-02-2010, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi All

Not sure if you have solved the Epson problem yet - but there are boxes in WH Smiths where you can post in your used printer cartridges. I think they have to be genuine famous make ones not generic ( eg tesco/wilko compatible ones)

Thought it might help

Trin
"Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
GC - May 39.47/55. June 47.20/50. July 38.44/50
NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
Closed Thread