Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Consumer Rights > PointShop cancel & block any payments? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
PointShop cancel & block any payments?
Views: 4,921
# 1
Sammyantha
Old 05-12-2011, 3:24 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default PointShop cancel & block any payments?

My 12 year old has recently signed up for a subscription service called PointShop without my knowledge. I know this because i just got a confirmation email to tell me so

I immediately looked them up on google to see what they are all about and found warning after warning about them taking £45 from bank accounts, sometimes even months later after the account has been cancelled. I have looked all over the website for cancellation information and it says you cannot cancel before 24 hours is up, so i will do that tomorrow, although i have read horror stories about users being unable to cancel through the site. I also emailed the support email. The only telephone number is foreign and i believe they are in poland.

Is there a way to block my bank from allowing them to take any payments out?

Please let me know if you have any experience of this company. Everything i have read has made me extremely worried

Thank you
The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyantha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
arcon5
Old 05-12-2011, 8:43 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Cancel your card may suffice.
The Following User Says Thank You to arcon5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
burnlyf
Old 05-12-2011, 6:17 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hi, he must of signed up to the VIP service to get the free gift. I think it's £1 for the first 14 days then £45 a month after that.

If you unsubscribe before the 14 days are up they shouldn't take any more money out.

It tells you how to cancel VIP here http://www.pointshop.co.uk/helpdesk/...P%20membership

HTH.
The Following User Says Thank You to burnlyf For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Sammyantha
Old 06-12-2011, 6:41 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thank you both. I have cancelled the VIP service on the website and had a confirmation email to say they will refund. However I am still worried since i read that others have done exactly this, and yet still been charged again, sometimes as far as 7 months down the line! I will speak to my bank tomorrow about changing the card and hope that does the trick.

Thank you
The only thing we know for sure, is that we know nothing
The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyantha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
phayward1963
Old 07-12-2011, 12:33 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default point shop

has the site gone down?
The Following User Says Thank You to phayward1963 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
jeccymail
Old 07-12-2011, 1:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Oh dear

I think I've been scammed again - signed up for the angry birds offer on Monday and now can't get back onto the site to cancel. best get onto the bank. How can I be so gullible???
The Following User Says Thank You to jeccymail For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
jeccymail
Old 07-12-2011, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just found out I can't cancel through my bank as its a guaranteed payment. What a joke! Have cancelled my card and they've given me a phone no to call - 004598116450 which goes through to a german recorded message.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeccymail For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
TadleyBaggie
Old 07-12-2011, 3:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeccymail View Post
004598116450 which goes through to a german recorded message.
I suspect it's Danish, based on the country code.
The Following User Says Thank You to TadleyBaggie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
johnburge
Old 12-02-2012, 8:25 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I responded to a TESCO offer on facebook offering a Braun electric toothbrush for £1 in return for responding to a market research questionaire. Then without warning I discovered that Pointshop had seemingly taken over the site and I had unwittingly committed myself to paying them £45 per month. This must be illegal by any stretch of the imagination. I've now got to wait for 24hrs before I can hopefully unsubscribe on line.

Incidentally, I have notified TESCO that their site or name is being used in this scam, or, perhaps they are part of it !!

Last edited by johnburge; 12-02-2012 at 8:28 AM. Reason: Add further information
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to johnburge For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
*Scottish*Lass*
Old 14-02-2012, 9:04 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just had this same thing happen! It's left me with no money in my account had to run down to my friends this morning to borrow money for the bus to work!! Going to phone my bank at lunchtime and see what they say
:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:• Scottish & proud of it! :*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•..•:*¨¨*:•
The Following User Says Thank You to *Scottish*Lass* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Rokkchic
Old 15-02-2012, 11:39 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Unhappy Pointshop Pain

I've also been stung by Pointshop's unfair "membership" scheme. Please all if you are considering going on this website, PLEASE make sure that you unsubscribe immediately after getting what you want.

I went on the site to see what it was all about. I'm in a few points websites and all are great - I use them to do tasks and surveys and try and buy presents for people as I have little cash. I went on Pointshop, had a look around over a couple of days I think and decided I didn't like it, that it wasn't for me and didn't ever go back on it again. I have bought nothing from Point shop, not logged on, nor collected points - have been "paying" without knowledge for absolutely nothing.

That was November time and I'd forgotten that it existed to be honest. HOWEVER Today my card was declined on an account that holds my emergency funds and direct debits. I don't use this account anymore and therefore had no reason to be monitoring it. The same DD's go out monthly and I occasionally use it for topping up my mobile. That's it. It held my savings. They've bled me dry to the tune of £180ish.

I don't even remember filling in my card details - I'm fairly trusting and have never been ripped off before. Pointshop presented as an established company with slick advertising, promotions and good website.

This kind of "membership ploy" is very alien to me. If I purchase things on the internet I am used to companies being transparent and honest - using baskets and pressing "confirm" with the money amounts on the screen and companies being absolutely clear what I am buying and how much for. This is honest trading. I'm used to getting reciepts for payments, emails confirming your orders etc and all these things ensure you have a good internet trading experience.

This company use your card details as a POS transaction until you decided to tell them to stop!!!!!! . If you didn't realise what they were going to do, and aren't checking your bank accounts then the company can keep taking money until you notice what is going on. You have no email notifications of withdrawals made, and as such it is conducted very sneakily.

I've cancelled my card - went on the account tonight and cancelled the membership and complained. They don't care - even though they can see that I haven't used the account. They just told me it was all in writing and all the links they put in the email don't work.

Am going through my bank's fraud team and the disputes. I doubt I'll get anywhere as the company are clearly counting on people like me forgetting to unsubscribe or trusting people not to charge you for things that you aren't using or haven't asked for. I'll be much more careful in future.

I am sharing my woes not for sympathy or any of those horrid "serves you right for being stupid" comments, but to warn all out there not to make the same mistake that I did.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Rokkchic For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
wealdroam
Old 15-02-2012, 11:59 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkchic View Post
I am sharing my woes not for sympathy or any of those horrid "serves you right for being stupid" comments, but to warn all out there not to make the same mistake that I did.

AVOID AVOID AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
In which case, you have posted on the wrong board.

Should be on the Warnings board.
The Following User Says Thank You to wealdroam For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
ex-homelessdude
Old 28-02-2012, 11:30 AM
MoneySaving Convert

ive just signed up for the toothbrush for £1 offer and all when i log in it said i have 0 points...do i have to earn point before i can order the toothbrush? or it it automaticly sent out? as it doesnt say anything about it on my account.
The Following User Says Thank You to ex-homelessdude For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Penrose
Old 14-03-2012, 11:49 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Pointshop Scam

Best thing to do is to cancel your subscription immediately and contact your bank/credit card and get payments stopped. Because it is a subscription it is unlikely that you will be able to get a refund.

However, it may be worth complaining about this company to the Office of Fair Trading, as if it appears that many people are unwittingly subscribing and costs are not being made clear, they may have grounds to intervene.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Penrose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
jimbo0072
Old 25-07-2012, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default reported to police for fraud

The same thing happened to me and I reported it to the police as fraud, and I'm still following up. I would like to gather a collection of people scammed by this company, and am also currently setting up a website to warn others and gather a large group of people to take this on, and to share information about what happened, the process followed, and how to get money back, etc. This should be ready in a couple of months. Please reply here if you have been scammed by this company, thanks.
# 16
pjh1939
Old 27-07-2012, 5:42 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Pointshop.co.uk

I am prepared to join any group that are willing to expose and take on these fraudsters!
# 17
rebeccauk
Old 23-08-2012, 9:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have also been victim to this.

I have unsubscribed using the VIP area and it says this has successfully been done but then it still says my VIP subscription ends in 8 days....I'm confused...is there such a thing as a non-VIP subscription which is still chargeable?
# 18
themull1
Old 25-08-2012, 8:49 AM

Am i missing something here? why would a 12 year old have access to your bank account details?
# 19
antrobus
Old 25-08-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themull1 View Post
Am i missing something here? why would a 12 year old have access to your bank account details?
Presumably the 12 year old lives in the same house, knows where the OP keeps their wallet/purse, takes card out ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokkchic View Post
.... This is honest trading. I'm used to getting reciepts for payments, emails confirming your orders etc ...
You missed the confirmation email then. Probably went to your spam folder. See the OP:-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyantha View Post
My 12 year old has recently signed up for a subscription service called PointShop without my knowledge. I know this because i just got a confirmation email to tell me so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammyantha View Post
The only telephone number is foreign and i believe they are in poland.
Denmark actually. Not that it matters. They're both in the EU and are perfectly respectable countries. (At least, neither of the two are Greece.)
# 20
George Michael
Old 25-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by themull1 View Post
The 12 year old may well be a 13 year old by now!