Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Work & Benefits > Boost Your Income > I need ways to make 50 quickly! (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
I need ways to make 50 quickly!
Closed Thread
Views: 9,931
# 1
HKitten
Old 30-11-2011, 11:32 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Default I need ways to make 50 quickly!

I'm in a bad way this month - my partner got laid off with no warning (he was doing agency work) and his claim for jobseekers hasn't kicked in yet. Help!

Ideally, I need 10 ways to make 50 as quickly as possible. I'm going to do a car boot sale this weekend so that's one!

Any other suggestions? I'm also doing Avon but only broke even on my first order as I had to pay the joining fee and buy samples/books etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to HKitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
NeverInDebt
Old 30-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Sell on ebay what you dont need. Part time job maybe might be some xmas work around
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeverInDebt For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
soolin
Old 30-11-2011, 11:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I agree, get some stuff up on ebay it has to be worth a try
I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move posts there. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
New to Forum? Guide
The Following User Says Thank You to soolin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Superheavy
Old 30-11-2011, 12:03 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via Yahoo to Superheavy

Are you musically talented?

My nephew makes a fair bit busking on a weekend in the town centre. He finds it pays better than his part time job.

Have you looked at freelancing websites? If you can work quickly and the employer is satisfied you can get paid pretty quickly.
DFW - DEBT FREEEEEE!

Total - 10762/10762

Every silver lining has its cloud.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superheavy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Maz
Old 30-11-2011, 12:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

As well as eBay, you can also advertise your stuff for free on Gumtree, Viva Street etc. I'd try them all personally to maximise your chances of selling stuff fast!

The online version of our local paper allows you to place free ads for stuff as long as the asking price is below a certain amount, might be worth checking that out too.
'The only thing that helps me keep my slender grip on reality is the friendship I have with my collection of singing potatoes'

Sleepy J.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
lovetoearn
Old 30-11-2011, 12:50 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thumbs up

If you good at writing...get into Blog writing (Write blog posts that are polished and not overly personal)

i agree Freelancers and small businesses desperately need help running their businesses, you should definitely give this a shot!

Moreover, you can try Amazon Web Services...its pretty awesome!
The Following User Says Thank You to lovetoearn For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
CBH88
Old 30-11-2011, 12:56 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Amazon is also a good place to sell books quickly
The Following User Says Thank You to CBH88 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
TimBear
Old 30-11-2011, 1:36 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

There are loads of facebook groups for my local area for people selling unwanted things. The great thing about this for me is people can collect the items (I tend to arrange to meet nearby rather than at my house so people don't know where I live).

People are selling ALL SORTS on the ones near me, so that might be worth a look if you're on facebook?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TimBear For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
tommyknocker
Old 02-12-2011, 10:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Try fiverr.com. Look around there to give yourself an idea of what it's all about. If you come up with something unique and good, you could make a lot more than 50, and it could be a small stream of income for you in the long term as well.

Good luck
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyknocker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
marywooyeah
Old 02-12-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superheavy View Post
Are you musically talented?

My nephew makes a fair bit busking on a weekend in the town centre. He finds it pays better than his part time job.
pretty sure you need a licence to do this - not saying your nephew doesn't have one, just that should OP decide to do it he would need one!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marywooyeah For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Maysie
Old 02-12-2011, 11:05 PM

With the avon have you tried mentioning it to friends (asking them to share your info with others local) on facebook? Put on your order forms or a little note if you miss me you can always email me orders last minute and i will confirm your order and send email when i am due to deliver. That particular tip worked a treat with a good customer of mine who used to order quite big but was quite forgetful on putting book out. Offer to do parties with it. All you need is a few samples and something to raffle and maybe party games let google be your friend. I only did one but it took over a hundred in orders a couple of years back. I cheated and bought a huge job lot of decent bath fizzers on ebay worked out something like 20p each then offered one free with every order that month. That was a good month for low outlay. I was using said star shaped fizzers for they next few years mind they were lovely. I have recently seen avon ladies advertising to drop off books in certain areas on facebook local selling pages have you got any of those near you? Might get you an extra customer or two.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maysie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
breadlinebetty
Old 02-12-2011, 11:59 PM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetoearn View Post
If you good at writing...get into Blog writing (Write blog posts that are polished and not overly personal)

i agree Freelancers and small businesses desperately need help running their businesses, you should definitely give this a shot!

Moreover, you can try Amazon Web Services...its pretty awesome!

I thought blogs were like online diaries? How can you make money from writing blogs please?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to breadlinebetty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Ilona
Old 03-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi betty. You are right, blogging is an online diary, but some add links to adverts to make money. You can't make money overnight with a blog, it takes a while, and lots of work. I have been blogging for almost three years, but I chose not to monetise mine, it's purely a hobby.
Here is a link to read up about it.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...light=blogging
Ilona
First of all see if you can get it free, then see if you can make it. If you can't can you get it at a car boot sale, or a charity shop, and only as a last resort, go to a shop.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilona For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
stardrops42
Old 04-12-2011, 8:53 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If it was me I would ask family and friends if they needed a pre christmas house clean for x amount of money. I bet some of them would jump at the chance
GC Feb 325/0
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stardrops42 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
sexymouse
Old 04-12-2011, 10:51 AM

Babysitting? I earnt 20 last night. Loads of parents will be going out to Christmas dos at this time of year, so worth popping an advert in your local newsagents etc.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things.
I married Moon 8th April 2011, 1st baby boy born 26th September 2012

J(167) + F (110) +M(80) + A (350) +M(50) +J (50) +J (60) + A (120) + S (50) + N(97.40) =1134.40/2012 challenge (member 154)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sexymouse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
CornishGemz
Old 04-12-2011, 12:16 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Amazon trade in for any text books or video games you may have
2012 Mission - Save,win,collect as much as possible

Progress so far: 350+ beauty goodies won,10 rail voucher(complaint),Amazon Vouchers(73),eBay selling (100+),5 Paypal voucher
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CornishGemz For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
breadlinebetty
Old 09-12-2011, 10:40 AM
PPR
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilona View Post
Hi betty. You are right, blogging is an online diary, but some add links to adverts to make money. You can't make money overnight with a blog, it takes a while, and lots of work. I have been blogging for almost three years, but I chose not to monetise mine, it's purely a hobby.
Here is a link to read up about it.
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...light=blogging
Ilona

Thanks for that link!

Can I ask how much you can earn from blogging?
# 18
Happylittlecomper
Old 09-12-2011, 11:13 AM
MoneySaving Convert

50 cannot be made from a brand new blog over night, it took me months to get paid for writing blog posts. It's a good thing to start, but it could take years to develop into something that can provide a small income :]
# 19
JennyJewell
Old 09-12-2011, 6:31 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello
I earned 85 this week giving Kleeneze catalogues to neighbours I re-joined after a 7 year break because we are in a similar position and I only joined because we can now join for free - if I had had to pay for a kit I really couldn't have done it because we are extremely skint right now. This has become our saving grace to be honest
Good luck - I really do understand where you are coming from x
Jenny x
Everything happens for a reason
# 20
SeW50
Old 09-12-2011, 10:11 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverInDebt View Post
Sell on ebay what you dont need. Part time job maybe might be some xmas work around
Quoted for double the importance!

Good luck!
Closed Thread