Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning > Are there any Holiday parks like Center Parcs? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Are there any Holiday parks like Center Parcs?
Closed Thread
Views: 34,060
# 1
WOW Factor 0
thunderbird
Old 30-01-2007, 7:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question Are there any Holiday parks like Center Parcs?

I've been looking for a nice holiday park in the UK. I would like something a bit like Center Parcs, lots of activities, but still fairly quiet and low-key. Not somewhere with loads of evening entertainments and staff dressed up as animals etc.. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if such a place exists?

Thanks
# 2
Rachie B
Old 30-01-2007, 7:20 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

why not center parcs itself ? lol

get a code from this forum
# 3
thunderbird
Old 31-01-2007, 3:13 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In school holidays they are hideously expensive!

Obviously I'm in a minority wanting a holiday like this then?
# 4
Kitikat
Old 31-01-2007, 4:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I have not been here myself, but a friend of mine has and she highly recommends it. http://www.ribbyhall.co.uk/
The Following User Says Thank You to Kitikat For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
miss bargainmad
Old 31-01-2007, 8:28 PM
MoneySaving Convert

That was going to be my answer - I've never stayed but had a look round and it looks really nice. It will probably have reviews on trip advisor as I've seen other "parks" reviewed on there.
# 6
recovering spendaholic
Old 31-01-2007, 8:41 PM

You could have a look at Sandy Balls in the New Forest - it is really lovely - I think the site is www.sandy-balls.co.uk, but just google Sandy Balls and you should find it. It is a log cabin type affair but really nice, much nicer and more reasonably priced than Centreparcs IMO.
Jane

May grocery challenge £275 - failed!
June grocery challenge £300
# 7
Rachie B
Old 31-01-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recovering spendaholic
You could have a look at Sandy Balls in the New Forest - it is really lovely - I think the site is www.sandy-balls.co.uk, but just google Sandy Balls and you should find it. It is a log cabin type affair but really nice, much nicer and more reasonably priced than Centreparcs IMO.
<giggles childishly>

and on a serious note ,it looks lovely
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rachie B For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
IClaudius
Old 01-02-2007, 8:18 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by recovering spendaholic
You could have a look at Sandy Balls in the New Forest

What a fantastic name for a holiday park. Who on earth, thought that up? Still, I for one, won't forget it so it's done its job .

To OP, if you fancy further afield what about www.duinrel.nl in The Netherlands or all the Roompot parks in The Netherlands. We have stayed at quite a few of these and most have free access to a nice pool, often with slides, and the accomodation is second to none and half the price of Centerparcs.
"Sumptus censum ne superet"

Mental blocks are just hurdles to overcome in life.

Yeah..whatever :rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to IClaudius For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
NafUk
Old 01-02-2007, 9:16 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have been pricing various holiday parks such as centra parcs, Forestry Commisssion, sandy balls, haven etc, etc. I have found that a rule of thumb is that UK prices are twice French, Dutch prices and the facilities, weather etc. are much poorer. So, one week in the UK will get you two weeks in France. In our case it will get three weeks since we go before June 12th and get 3 weeks for the price of 2 with Siblu (Eurocamp, Canvas etc. also run this offer). Our 3 week holiday, self catering in a mobile in the Dordogne cost £670 plus £200 in petrol (2 adults + 3 children). Lovely site, only 200 pitches but 4 pools + slide pool. Good value restaurant, kids clubs plus the parks entertainment in one of the most beautiful areas of France. Guaranteed nice weather (perhaps a few days of rain in May), no crowds, no yobs, and no stupid extras like £5 extra-car parking per night (Forestry commission, even for booking an 8 person chalet costing around £800 per week!!!). Oh yes, and the French roads are fantastic, especially at this time of the year. Been the last 5 years and no road works worth mentioning. We would like to holiday in the UK but can't afford it.
# 10
oramgepekoe
Old 01-02-2007, 10:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

How about Kelling Heath only a couple of miles from the coast in North Norfolk.

http://www.kellingheath.co.uk/home.php
# 11
bluenose1
Old 01-02-2007, 10:54 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Going to Centerparcs in July, however if I had seen this for Ribby hall I would have considered there as it is nearly half the price.
Money SPENDING Expert

# 12
Dumyat
Old 01-02-2007, 11:12 AM

hoseason's brochure features a lot of quieter holiday parks.
I would suggest looking only...book direct. its much cheaper.
x x x
# 13
thunderbird
Old 01-02-2007, 9:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thanks for all the suggestions

I will have a good look around. Going abroad would be a long drive for us, plus we'd have to get 3 new passports which would add quite a bit on!
# 14
TryingHard2Save
Old 01-02-2007, 11:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

My sister recommends this:

www.manorhousehotel.co.uk
# 15
jackieblue
Old 13-02-2007, 1:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Centerparcs in Belgium

We went last year to Centreparcs in Belgium. They have two sites and even adding in the the ferry fare including car (all part of the fun), this didn't come to anything like the price of Longleat for example. I'm just trying to book again now for Easter. When we went last year at half term it wasn't the Belgian halft term so it was even better.
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
altyfc
Old 13-02-2007, 3:50 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Check out Park Resorts.
# 17
dora37
Old 13-02-2007, 4:20 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitikat
I have not been here myself, but a friend of mine has and she highly recommends it. http://www.ribbyhall.co.uk/
We went to Ribby Hall for a weekend last July.

Now I must warn you I do have high standards - so take what you want from my comments.

IMHO the site wasn't as good as the website, though it wasn't dire - I would say OK.

We paid for superior deluxe accomodation and though it was lovely to be around the fishing lake, the accomodation was certainly not deluxe - it was average and dated.

Facilities were average too! I wouldn't rush back there for the amount it cost!

We have been a few times to a low key park with facilities in North Wales called Brynteg:

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/productSi...peName=UKParks

We usually go for a long weekend and book a lodge with a hot tub.

There is a well kept pool (not flumes etc), gym, soft play area, sports hall, tennis courts and timetabled activities eg trampolining, fencing,mountain biking, 5 a side etc.

It is in a beautiful setting.

Roll on Easter

Last edited by dora37; 13-02-2007 at 4:26 PM.
# 18
tiff
Old 13-02-2007, 5:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dora37
We went to Ribby Hall for a weekend last July.

Now I must warn you I do have high standards - so take what you want from my comments.

IMHO the site wasn't as good as the website, though it wasn't dire - I would say OK.

We paid for superior deluxe accomodation and though it was lovely to be around the fishing lake, the accomodation was certainly not deluxe - it was average and dated.

Facilities were average too! I wouldn't rush back there for the amount it cost!

We have been a few times to a low key park with facilities in North Wales called Brynteg:

http://www.hoseasons.co.uk/productSi...peName=UKParks

We usually go for a long weekend and book a lodge with a hot tub.

There is a well kept pool (not flumes etc), gym, soft play area, sports hall, tennis courts and timetabled activities eg trampolining, fencing,mountain biking, 5 a side etc.

It is in a beautiful setting.

Roll on Easter
We're looking for a week at Whitsun and my DH is very fussy. Took one look at that link and have spent the last hour looking at different sites. Brynteg is too far for us but some of the mid Wales sites look fantastic. Will hopefully be booking this week as my sister is paying some of it as she wants us to take her son away while she is on honeymoon. I thought the prices were reasonable too.
“A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went.” - Dave Ramsey
# 19
ZoeP
Old 23-11-2010, 2:34 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Retallack Resort and Spa

Hi,
I know it was a while ago that you posted this thread but I have just read it and wanted to respond in case anybody was asking themselves the same question.
Retallack Resort and Spa in Cornwall is similar to centre parcs in the way it is laid out, however, Retallack is 5* and ever expanding. Just by visiting their website you can see the standards they set are extremely high.
Retallack is set within the Cornish Countryside and is a short drive away from Padstow, Newquay and Wadebridge.
Retallack is home to the UK's only outdoor Flowrider - you can find videos of this on you tube.
In the Summer months/school holidays they have a kids academy, they have 2 spa treatment rooms, a bar/coffee shop and a restaurant. Their health club facilities, which include an indoor heated swimming pool and 2 all weather tennis courts, are open all year round.

I hope this helps.
Closed Thread