Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Page 1
    • Nile
    • By Nile 27th Nov 11, 1:05 AM
    • 13,906 Posts
    • 13,676 Thanks
    • 27th Nov 11, 1:05 AM
    • 27th Nov 11, 1:05 AM
    Hi, Martinís asked me to post this in these circumstances: Iíve asked Board Guides to move threads if theyíll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of

Watch the New to Forum? Guide

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
  • AppleTurnover
    • 27th Nov 11, 8:20 AM
    • 27th Nov 11, 8:20 AM
    How much are you looking to spend HAMMIEHOO?
    You can't have everything.........where would you put it?
    • kjmtidea
    • By kjmtidea 27th Nov 11, 9:30 AM
    • 1,349 Posts
    • 3,386 Thanks
    • 27th Nov 11, 9:30 AM
    • 27th Nov 11, 9:30 AM
    This is what I have got for my 10 year old son this year if it is any help:
    Skylanders add on
    Lego board game small
    Game of life
    Lego board game big
    Xbox points
    Pictureka Flipper
    Ball Puzzle
    Guiness Records book
    Gangsta Granny book
    Billionaire boy book
    Wimpy kids book
    Mp3 player

• sablade
    • 27th Nov 11, 1:49 PM
    • 27th Nov 11, 1:49 PM
    how about

amazon voucher
    dart board £10 sports direct
    radio controlled submarine £15 maplin
    Mathmos Lava lamp
    If you dont ask for discount you don't get discount
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 27th Nov 11, 2:36 PM
    • 13,099 Posts
    • 15,897 Thanks
    • 27th Nov 11, 2:36 PM
    • 27th Nov 11, 2:36 PM
    I have a friend with a 10 year old he is getting a build it yourself remote control car which cost me about £8 he is into building things so previously have bought mecano and lego type gifts.
    NEW to the Forum? I'm the Board Guide on
    Debt-Free Wannabe

I can move and change posts but I don't have time to read everything. If you spot a reportable post please use the button below.

Any views are mine and not the official line of
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange
  • madhatter3
    • 27th Nov 11, 2:51 PM
    • 27th Nov 11, 2:51 PM
    I have a 11yr old son, so far he is getting a ipad touch, (main present)
    then a box of marbles (old fashioned box he loves marbles), a table tennis set (to be used on our dining room table), dart board, loads of science museum stuff (all 3 4 2 in whsmith), a electric buzz wire game from sainsburys, a stylophone (rolf harris one, from sainsburys), loads of nanjago lego, and some micheal murpurgo books.
    also picked up some wooden make your own car/dinosaur from wilkinsons.
    • Lunar Eclipse
    • By Lunar Eclipse 27th Nov 11, 4:11 PM
    • 2,773 Posts
    • 5,213 Thanks
    Lunar Eclipse
    • 27th Nov 11, 4:11 PM
    • 27th Nov 11, 4:11 PM
    As well as personality traits, I think a lot depends on whether it's a Y6 or Y7 boy: there's typically a gulf between them.

iTunes voucher, mobile phone, Harry Potter final DVD, books according to interest, hair wax & smellies & something from Sports Direct or Superdry, depending on brand preference! BMX bike/accessories? Several 10 & 11 year old boys I know have joined the gym at our sports centre and work out during special sessions designed for their age group.
    Mortgage Jan 2004 - £252k / Jan 2008 - £207k / April 08 - £150k / May 08 - £115k / July 08 - £114k / Sept 08 - £110k / Dec 08 - £107k / 2009 - 117k / Dec 09 - 115k
  • MooBaah
    • 27th Nov 11, 4:34 PM
    • 27th Nov 11, 4:34 PM
    Unless he's already got one .. an X Box 360?..... I know its a biggish outlay but my 11 year old just loves his. On cold, dark rainy nights, he 'meets up' with his friends through XBox live, they play, chat and have a whale of a time!
  • teacherandmum
    My 12 year old nephew is getting a Game voucher (voucher as i didnt know what game to get for his Wii), sweets, deodorant, money box (he saves his leftover money that he hasnt used to buy his school dinner), and a top gear annual.
    Many thanks to everyone who posted there are some great suggestions there. We need to do a massive clear out before Christmas just to make sure we don't get something he already has.
    It is pretty much a case of what does he not have or has not had in the past? We are running out of things to get him, ashamed to say, he is an only child and I think we overcompensate slightly at Christmas hence the dilemma. Perhaps the post should have been What do you get an 11 year old that doesn't need anything?
  • ada1988
    a Roller skates or a iPod?
    I think they are both fine.
    • Berni888
    • By Berni888 28th Nov 11, 4:21 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    £2.49 Amazon

Or another lovely animated movie for Christmas is

Or perhaps a moneybox or start him off a savings account...
  • nikkiuk
    My 11 year old has asked for a kindle. He is a big reader though-going through 4 or 5 books a week. He gets most of them from the library but this is a way for him to get books cheaper than they are in the shops.
    I have the same difficulties for my 12 year old, my son loves my home made gifts, I was making up candy bouquets but in Christmas mug and my son ohhhh and arrreddd over it, so he will receive one of those........ for a main present ITunes vouchers, game vouchers? I have gifted a movie box for a 12 yr old brought a cinema or blockbuster rental voucher and added popcorn etc, drinks and personalised it into a hamper........
    DFW 1108 Proud to be dealing with my debts

2014Is Going to be the Year...for love...
  • baxterdo
    What about a real archery set. I was thinking of getting one for my niece as well as an adult size one for her dad. I think they'll both really enjoy that.
    • hogshead
    • By hogshead 3rd Dec 11, 9:35 AM
    • 2,196 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    A nice filler is 20?. They are just £4.99 in TRU at the moment & a great little quiz/puzzle. My children have them & are amazed at how often the 'computer' guesses their answers.
    Good luck as our children are also very fortunate so it can be quite a dilemma. Have you asked him to make a list at all?
    • ladymarmalade
    • By ladymarmalade 3rd Dec 11, 5:15 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Does he have a bicycle?
    • mandco
    • By mandco 3rd Dec 11, 7:50 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 7,172 Thanks
    its hard when you get to the point that they've pretty much got/had everything.

rather than material items maybe consider activity based gifts
    cinema vouchers
    activity days
    you can even get driving lessons from 11yrs
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 3rd Dec 11, 9:32 PM
    • 18,277 Posts
    • 28,655 Thanks
    I've got an 11yo son (yr 7) and I'm struggling this year for him. Either he's already got it or he's not interested in it (eg he has no interest in clothes). Mine is getting skating lessons from my mum. He also likes anything science related. Books I am getting him the latest Rick Riordan book (author who wrote Percy Jackson series) and the latest Wimpy kid book. Other than that it will be new games for his xbox.
    I have done reading too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,378Posts Today

6,386Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @StigAbell: Protestors today shouting "no more wars". It would be lovely if life were as simple as that.

• RT @Stressed_Eric72: @MartinSLewis Well on that basis you'll end the series on a high note.

• The times TV page has given my coming help to buy ISA show a 2/10. I felt that harsh until I realised it was 2nd episode of 10 part series!

• Follow Martin