Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 26th Nov 11, 9:07 AM
    • 2,070Posts
    • 5,975Thanks
    Munchin
    Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy
    • 26th Nov 11, 9:07 AM
    Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy 26th Nov 11 at 9:07 AM
    Hi everyone

I'm not new to MSE and have had a debt free diary before but it's time to start afresh and hide behind a new user name

My last diary helped me clear my debts which were about £10,000. However as you can see my debts have creeped back up but are manageable.

Firstly, I will tell you a bit about myself. I still live at home with my Mum (I'm 37!!) and have a lovely BF of 4 1/2 years. I split my time between home and his house and if a sparkler doesn't appear next year there will be words.

I'm in recover from bulimia. You have no idea how wonderful it is to say that I'm finally in recovery after 11 long horrible years of this illness. I never mentioned this on my last diary and I've never told family or friends. However I have been seeing a lovely councillor and it was actually a website that gave me the encouragement to start and stick with recovery. It's early days but I feel that this community is so supportive that it's important to be as honest as I can in this new diary.

Now where did the debts come from. In my last diary I was paying off - double glazing; the world's crappiest car and all it's repairs and a credit card bill that had decided to shoot for the sky at over £5000. i plugged away and cleared them all earlier this year. However, the bottom less pit of a car needed more repairs and it just wasn't worth putting anymore money into it. I got a second hand car and took out a loan at £6000 + interest = £6600 and am paying that off over 2 years at £275 a month (I have £4400 still to pay). The repayments are ok but I want the debt gone quickly.

I've also got £1,093.55 on my tesco credit card and have set up a dd for £100 a month. If I can add to that I will.

Finally my next store card is sitting at £114.75. As part of my recovery I've gone up a dress size and rather than torturing myself squeezing into too small clothes I bought some new ones.

I also have a cash back card which I use monthly for diesel and groceries. I need to reign this card in as I've started adding things onto it that I don't need.

So total in debts I have £5608.30

I've cleared it before and I'll do it again. I'm going to join a couple of challenges and the next thing I need to do is a an SOA

Last edited by Munchin; 26-11-2011 at 1:13 PM.
    PAYDBX 2017 - #12Pd £4450/£10,000 (Car - £2966 & CC £1484). Slowly but surely

EF #13:£50/£20,000(.25%)

PAD started 09 Oct 2017 Total PAD £18.71
    Debt Free Date - May 2018

Page 61
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 22nd Jan 17, 3:59 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 4,877 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Fantastic news on the promotion! . Lovely pay rise as well!

Good idea on the de- cluttering of clothes as well! I still have smaller size clothes under the bed waiting for the new svelte me! I am now adamant that if nothing changes by the end of this year weight wise, they will go!

And I do hope your brother is recovering
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 30th Jan 17, 8:06 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks INOD & Seaside - kind of excited now.

I have a lot of the dark depressing clothes recycled and anything that is faded and shapeless is away. I got details of where I'm going and who I should report to but don't actually know what the role involves.

I'm on nights tonight and have just done a walk round the buildings and it is very bitter & cold out there. It's a quiet night as students are saving their pennies for a big night out during the week.

I'm on a sort of wind down as everyone now knows I'm going but I don't see the work slackening off at all. I've had a few enquiries about my current post and everyone seems to think that because it is in the country that it is a nice easy post - aren't they going to get their eyes opened.

Money front - thank goodness for payday. I've opened a new bank account to take advantage of the money to switch offer.

All good so far and life is ticking along nicely.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Feb 17, 6:46 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

We are into a new month and a new renewed start .

I'm on a half day today as OH has a medical this afternoon & I have to go with him. I'm going to the gym at 6 this evening - I prefer mornings but needs must.

Money front - my savings outweigh my debt - yeah. I could take all savings and clear my debt but I would have nothing put away for holiday, emergency & other worries.

Update - Savings goal- Feb

Birthdays & family events - £400/£1500 (18%)

Holiday - £500/£1000 (40%)

Xmas 2017 - £150/£600 (20%)

Wedding £00/£1500 (0%)

February Spends

1st -
    2nd -
    Last edited by Munchin; 08-02-2017 at 9:09 PM.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 8th Feb 17, 9:08 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

Confession time - I fell of the spending fast wagon recently but I'm back on it again. I didn't go nuts but just wasn't careful about frittering. I honestly haven't had an NSD in February but I have time to catch up.

OHs brother was diagnosed with aggressive cancer last week and we have been knocked for 6 - that isn't an excuse but I've been doing more wee shops while OH helps out at his brothers house and business.

Money front - is still positive. I did a night shift last night which should help the coffers and it might have been my last night shift but I'm not sure just yet as the next timetable to the end of Feb isn't out.

I'm still getting excited about my new job and was speaking to my line manager yesterday. I have no clue if it will be a fit for me but I will not know unless I try it.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 8th Feb 17, 9:11 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    February Spends

1st to 08th - dang.
    9th-
    10th-
    11th-
    12th
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 19th Feb 17, 12:10 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

I'm not doing too good a job at keeping my spends updated on my diary
    . I've been very busy the last few weeks and I can't see it slowing down for another few weeks.

I start my new job next Monday and I'm excited and nervous. It has really hit me this weekend how much work I have to do before I finish. I'm out for lunch most days which is wonderful and thoughtful of my colleagues/friends but isn't helping getting things sorted. I'm having a lunch on Friday and that will be me finished but I will keep in touch with some colleagues and it's only a stone's throw away from home.

Spending front - as always I could do better but I put 26% of my salary into savings each month and I have other pots set up for eventualities so I'm really not doing too badly. I'm determined to pay of my car debt to OH within a year.....or year + 1/2 and I'm keeping those repayments quite high. Frittering is a problem and immediate gratification is still lurking

Sister & nephew have had a falling out so we now have a teenager in residence and boy they can eat. Thankfully they don't venture of their room until 12/1pm so I have house to myself as OH is away to his brothers this morning.

Today's plan was to tidy the house which I've done and then sit down and "read myself" into my new job. New manager sent me some paperwork to read if I get a chance. I want to strangle OH because now that I've finally bit the bullet to do the reading he has tidied it away and I can't find it.

Eating front - bit of a blip but coming out other side

Hope all is well with everyone.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 19th Feb 17, 12:12 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    February Spends

1st to 19th - dang.

20th-NSD
    21st-£5 lunch
    22th-£10.21 groceries
    23st-NSD
    23rd-NSD
    24th-£8.94 groceries
    25th-
    Last edited by Munchin; 25-02-2017 at 7:53 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 22nd Feb 17, 7:02 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

Last night shift done . I'm quite tired as rabbits were circling my brain... so much to do with so little time.

Money front - I spent £5 yesterday for lunch. My friend took sick so planned lunch with her scrapped & spent money on something tasteless & quick. I need to eat more fruit as feel bloated & horrible but not sure if that is ED or me.

Got to run & cram a weeks work into a day
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Feb 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

Yesterday was my last day in a job which I loved but at the same time I'm excited and looking forward to my promotion. Did I mention I am absolutely exhausted....... I need a snoring smiley.

So yesterday was the big leaving day and I went to lunch with my team and a few spares. I didn't eat much as I had a bun party in the afternoon and knew I would have to say a few words. I'm not sure if the nerves were from the speech or trying not to sob hysterically.

It was a perfect send off and there was a big turn out which was really special..or they just wanted the buns. The speech my boss gave me was lovely and I managed to say a few words which were not jibberish. I got a big bouquet of flowers, a beautiful bracelet, and £250 cash.

My head was pounding last night from the long hours this week and the stress of yesterday and even this morning I can feel it sitting behind my eyes.

I need to hit the road in about 30 mins as I'm volunteering at a race. Kind of wish I had said no, but I didn't and I will enjoy it. My sister and niece are home tomorrow from England for a week and I'm really looking forward to seeing them. I think we're going to have a girly pampering day this week so some of my pressie will go to that.

Spends have been brilliant as everyone bought be lunch almost every day

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 18th Mar 17, 6:05 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

Oh it's been a wee while and I've been mad busy. I started my new job and everyone is so lovely but I have no clue what I'm doing. It is a different Dept and a 'policy' job which is difficult as I have always been operational. I will get there but it has been stressful but I expected that. Eating and spends have been out the window but that was also kind of to be expected as well. I've put on the big brave shoes and am managing to go back to normality.

I had my first major ED blip due to the stress and although it was just panic feelings and thoughts I was a step away from action. I have that back under control and I need to put myself back into the no 1 spot. I made the mistake of weighing myself and have another 1/2 stone on which didn't help matters, so I' m temporarily back with my counsellor to get things under control.

Spending has been a bit fritterer to say the least - I didn't plan lunches etc and although I am getting lots of freebies from the shops at the train station I was also spending money unnecessarily. I did spend £400 on car insurance yesterday but that was planned and I've been saving each month for it.

OH brother has been diagnosed with an aggressive form of cancer and OH has gone to pieces which is understandable. However it's been difficult with me starting a new job and fighting ED and then also listening to his worries. I'm know I sound like a moo cow but OH has just come out of a long period of depression and I was exhausted at the end of that and I am worried how I will support him again if he goes back into depression.

I'm sorry for being a miserable moo cow but I've pulled on my big brave pants and I have to try and keep my diary up to date with spends and work with my counsellor to kick ED butt

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 18th Mar 17, 6:14 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Update - Savings goal- March

Birthdays & family events - £516/£1500 (34%)

Holiday - £600/£1000 (60%)

Xmas 2017 - £200/£600 (20%)

Wedding £104/£1500 (6%)

March Spends

1st - 17th - not recorded
    18th - £25.48 (Amazon - fit bit charger, Groceries, Nephew & birthday card)
    19th -
    Last edited by Munchin; 19-03-2017 at 8:12 AM.

• stepuptothepl8
    • By stepuptothepl8 18th Mar 17, 7:21 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 3,554 Thanks
    stepuptothepl8
    Hi Munchin
    Didn't want to read and run.. You've got a lot going on. But however your OH is feeling, you can't help him unless you're at full strength yourself.. It's like they say on planes, fit your own oxygen mask on first. Take care of you.
    LBM 1st Feb 2015 £8789 to go
    my diary: time to step up to the plate. SPC#503
    2017 challenges:
    March - Bath Half Marathon DONE!!
    July - trailwalker 100km walk for Oxfam & the Ghurka trust DONE!!
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 18th Mar 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,649 Posts
    • 26,118 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Wise words above, you should take heed. Change is always stressful and can bring up bad habits but you've recognised that and are addressing it. Hang in there, you're doing good.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £79,993.50, target £75,000 by 31/12/17 Offset fund today £4,035.43 target £5,500 by 31/12/17
    Emergency fund £5k/5.5k & £90/200 cash.
    Current weight loss 6/34 by 28 feb 2018
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 19th Mar 17, 8:11 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks Stepup & INOD,

It is very frustrating how quickly I can revert to stress behaviours which are not helpful but at least I'm coming out the other end . I hope you are both doing well.

Yesterday I had a few spends - £7.99 in total on Amazon - I can't find my fit bit charger and now that I have ordered a replacement it is guaranteed to turn up. Nephew no 1 rang as he was dying of starvation - well that's what it sounded like so I met him and got him lunch and a few groceries for myself & gave him money for chippy later on. I can't believe how much he has grown in the last few months and is now towering over me. I also ordered a birthday card for brother but I have 2 nieces cards to buy as well. Total spends - £25.48.

Yesterday I downloaded a free trial of Amazon Prime - which will be cancelled within 30 days and I got to watch the new series of Top gear. I felt like Friday & Saturday I just wanted to curl up in a ball and be left alone but today I'm starting to feel like me. I have 4 days in work this week and then I'm on leave Fri & Mon and will be spending the long weekend celebrating my brother's birthday and hopefully relaxing.

Plans this week- nothing out of the ordinary.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Mar 17, 9:31 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

Beautiful weekend and I'm back in better form

My account is looking a wee bit squeaky clean at the moment and I need pay day to roll on quickly. I paid out a bit of money yesterday - 3 x birthdays + £1200 on an annual travel card but I should get most of the travel card back from work.

I'm having work problems - absolutely nothing wrong with the job or the travel but we outsource our HR services and I've fallen into a black hole somewhere between the 2 Depts, so it means that I will not get my increase in salary this month or possibly next but I will get it. My excess fares can't be approved as there is no record that I've been sitting in my new job since Feb. Of course 2 sides are disagreeing to who made the mistake and I'm left in limbo while they argue it out. If it carries on I will raise an official complaint but at least I will get a nice lump sum come the end of May....hopefully.

My gifts & birthdays account is now empty but I have money set aside for flights to do with celebrations so I'm going to combine the 2 budgets on my YNAB. It is a chance to look at plans I made on Xmas Eve.

Plans for 2017

Spends - Birthdays & events
    • General £200
    • Brother (40) - Hotel + Pressie - £250 - paid (this weekend )
    • Sister visit - Hotel - £200 - was a tiny bit less than this but paid and was a fabulous event.
    • Sister baby - Hotel + flight - £350
    • Nephew (16) - £50
    • OH birthday - £250
    • 2 x communions - £100
    • 1 x confirmation - £20
    • 1 x baptism - £20
    Total - £1440

* all estimates

Savings Goals

Birthdays & family events - £1500 (v v v spendy year)
    Holiday - £1000
    Xmas 2017 - £600
    Originally posted by Munchin
    I think that for the rest of the year I would need to set aside £900 for Birthdays & family events. I have £600 saved towards the £1000 holiday budget but OH is so upset about his brother that there will be no holiday until we know he is on the mend. The Xmas savings are ticking along automatically .

Plans today - meet with sisters & families and go for a nice walk and feed the ducks and then after that meet all the clan for brothers birthday. Plans tomorrow, run, mass & lunch with sisters & family before I take them back to the airport & then rest rest rest

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 29th Mar 17, 5:44 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

I've been awake 1/2 the night with sickness/sore throat etc - not a good start to my day. I think I need to spend money on lockets to get me through the day.

Pay day today so hopefully will stick to my budget in April and very little frittering. Still no sign in increase in salary or that I've moved to my new place.

I have 35 mins to get ready for the train so I better get a scoot on.

Plans

Work
    Bed (exciting I know)
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 9th Apr 17, 3:28 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Afternoon all,

I still have a cold which is sitting in my chest & ears but apart from that, all is good.

Work related - I got an email on Tues from HR confirming I have moved departments which should mean I get my new salary & arrears. Still no word on excess fares but at least that will gather up.

Health - I did a 5k run this morning and I loved it but my bad chest really didn't help. Eating is a bit pants & I so wish I didn't obsess so much but that is a hangover of my ED.

Money - I have plans again - I always have plans but don't always stick to them. Savings going well & I read a baby steps savings plan recently. 1) £1,000 emergency fund (done); 2) clear debts - (in progress); 3) 3 - 6 months expenses saved - £9,000 to find - can't remember 4 but the first 3 & a 1 month buffer is enough to keep me busy .

I'm on leave good Friday & Monday + tues and in total I only have 7 working days left in April
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

I was away in Dublin this weekend with my voluntary org (all expenses paid). I also found it really informative and will help with my progress in the org.

I'v been tweaking the budgets this morning and thank goodness it is pay day tomorrow. I am ok with my budgets but I want to get my buffer (1 month salary) in place and that will take a while to get established.

I'm on leave this week but I have so many things in diary that I'm not sure if I can class it as a relaxing break but I'm fortunate enough to have a good job with lots of leave to use up . I'm taking my Mum and her friends to Dublin in the early hours of tomorrow morning. I will drop her off about 4am and then drive straight back up to Belfast - it will be all picture no sound tomorrow.

My plans today are to go to the gym later on, voluntary meeting this evening and I'm almost out of dog food so I will have to pop to pet shop.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 25th Apr 17, 8:57 AM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    April Budget update

Groceries & Eating out - £51.46 (left)

T 25 April - £11.45 (Sainsbury)
    W 26 April - £23 (dinner out)
    Th 27 April - NSD
    F 28 April - £5.45 (butter & coffee)
    Sa 29 April - £
    Su 30 April - £

Total - £16.90
    Last edited by Munchin; 28-04-2017 at 8:30 AM.

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 27th May 17, 2:56 PM
    • 2,070 Posts
    • 5,975 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all

A bit missing in action this last month or 2 but life just gets in the way . I've been busy with work & family and hopefully it's all back on an even keel again.

Sister in England had a baby so making plans to go visit her & I'm away next weekend with my cousins so I guess things haven't quite settled yet.

Work ...what can I say...still bored to tears but hey ho not much I can do without a government so I've put myself down for loads of courses to fill my time. I had the opportunity of going to lunch and having a tour of Parliament Buildings (Stormont) last week which was really interesting (yes I'm a nerd ).

Money front - ok - still frittering. I know that because I have the money I can spend it as I can always 'borrow' from another pot. I have to stop doing that and try to live one month in advance.

June Spends

Thurs 1st - £
    Fri 2nd - £
    Sat 3rd - £
    Sun 4th - £
    Mon 5th - £
    Tues 6th - £
    Wed 7th - £

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,169Posts Today

7,769Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin