Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 26th Nov 11, 9:07 AM
    • 1,885Posts
    • 5,430Thanks
    Munchin
    Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy
    • 26th Nov 11, 9:07 AM
    Muchin's diary of recover; becoming debt free and being happy 26th Nov 11 at 9:07 AM
    Hi everyone

I'm not new to MSE and have had a debt free diary before but it's time to start afresh and hide behind a new user name

My last diary helped me clear my debts which were about £10,000. However as you can see my debts have creeped back up but are manageable.

Firstly, I will tell you a bit about myself. I still live at home with my Mum (I'm 37!!) and have a lovely BF of 4 1/2 years. I split my time between home and his house and if a sparkler doesn't appear next year there will be words.

I'm in recover from bulimia. You have no idea how wonderful it is to say that I'm finally in recovery after 11 long horrible years of this illness. I never mentioned this on my last diary and I've never told family or friends. However I have been seeing a lovely councillor and it was actually a website that gave me the encouragement to start and stick with recovery. It's early days but I feel that this community is so supportive that it's important to be as honest as I can in this new diary.

Now where did the debts come from. In my last diary I was paying off - double glazing; the world's crappiest car and all it's repairs and a credit card bill that had decided to shoot for the sky at over £5000. i plugged away and cleared them all earlier this year. However, the bottom less pit of a car needed more repairs and it just wasn't worth putting anymore money into it. I got a second hand car and took out a loan at £6000 + interest = £6600 and am paying that off over 2 years at £275 a month (I have £4400 still to pay). The repayments are ok but I want the debt gone quickly.

I've also got £1,093.55 on my tesco credit card and have set up a dd for £100 a month. If I can add to that I will.

Finally my next store card is sitting at £114.75. As part of my recovery I've gone up a dress size and rather than torturing myself squeezing into too small clothes I bought some new ones.

I also have a cash back card which I use monthly for diesel and groceries. I need to reign this card in as I've started adding things onto it that I don't need.

So total in debts I have £5608.30

I've cleared it before and I'll do it again. I'm going to join a couple of challenges and the next thing I need to do is a an SOA

Last edited by Munchin; 26-11-2011 at 1:13 PM.
    Debt (Car) -£ 9,000/£8,300 (7% paid);
    1 debt vs 100 days part 24 - Target: £1100/£700; NSDs - 8/10;

EF
    #13:£1550/£10,000 (15%),
    Holiday -£300. Xmas savings - £51.
    Total savings = £1901

Page 57
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 16th Aug 16, 7:01 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

I was a wee bit worried about talk talk broadband speed but it seems to be fine this morning.

I don't have a lot of plans today but it consists of work, Pilates & cinema .

Spends- mum & sis taking 6 nephews/nieces to beach so I'm given them £10 - it could be worse - I could have gone.

We have a large event in work today so I better get in early.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 17th Aug 16, 7:54 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning

I saw Ghostbusters last night & it was ok but not amazing but the popcorn was good.

OH promises to stop at travel agents today - every suggestion I came up with he vetoed so told him to go book something - it might not have been my best idea.

Money front - not good - I have £53 to last me to end of month . Not touching savings so I will have to be super frugal.

Budget - £53

We'd - £

Total - £0/£53
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 17th Aug 16, 8:04 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    You can do it. As for ghostbusters, glad to hear your feedback. I can't bring myself to go see it as the original was such a big part of my two's childhood. Some toys are still kicking around.
    Mortgage at 01.01.14 £119,481.83 today £86,391.14 yr1 target met 11.57% cleared
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Emergency fund £3.8k & £200 cash. Mortgage offset fund £6237.54.
    determined to stop defining myself by my mistakes.
    Progress not perfection.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 17th Aug 16, 7:25 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Thanks INOD - yeah the original ghostbusters was the best. I read they were doing remakes of Dirty dancing & Beaches - so so wrong.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 22nd Aug 16, 6:19 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all, tired today - yesterday was a 4am wake up and today was 5am . I was involved in planning a charity event yesterday so all the worries were coming out at night time. The event went so well and at the moment we have raised £7000 but we have more money to come in . I have a lot of registrations to sort out this morning and returning items I borrowed but once that is done then I'm all sorted.

Money front - tight but good. Didn't get chance to spend as I was so busy but now the pressure has eased off I wonder if it will affect my spending.£28 to last me to payday - yikes.

Binge free streak took a dip simply because I was stressing and not planning my meals or eating the 3 meals and 3 snacks. It's not a major thing and I will just get back on that wagon but it was nice having a clear streak .
    I have meetings tomorrow and Wed but I'm going to see if I can get Friday on leave and have a duvet day and hopefully catch u p on all my sleep.

Budget - £53

Wed - NSD
    Thurs - NSD
    Fri - £5 wine
    Sat - £20 Asda
    Sun - NSD
    Mon - ?

Total - £25/£53

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 26th Aug 16, 6:31 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Day 49 spending fast
    Morning all

Yeah I did 3 hours overtime last night which should be an extra £50 which will come in handy.

Confession - I had a few blips on spending fast but I did what I always do & went a bit gung ho at it which is good but inevitability leads to the "sod it" mindset. I'm now giving myself a treat allowance so that I don't feel guilty for spending.

I was updating YNAB last night - yeah to payday - and once I start nights my plan was to put this extra money into savings but that has changed slightly. I'm going to leave money in my current account until I have the equal to my salary so that I'm not living from pay check to pay check but will have 1 month salary buffer. Hope that makes sense.

Plans ahead - OH went to England to work this week & will be home tonight. Tomorrow we are booking a holiday - no idea where yet but I like the look of Cyprus. I'm headed to Tayto park next Wednesday & we have a bank holiday on monday.

Have fun today
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 28th Aug 16, 8:05 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

We booked a holiday yesterday - after months of procrastination on OH part we have a holiday to Cyprus booked at the end of Sept. We ended up going into Thomas Cook for advice on where to go in Cyprus that wasn't a nightclub or a back water. Obviously holiday fund is now empty but at least that is what it was there for. I think I have everything I need for a holiday apart from sun cream.

Yesterday was quiet apart from the travel agents. We went to Lidl for our weekly shop and got enough fish on discount to last ages. Now that OH isn't on shift work after 20 odd years he's finally embraced the planning ahead and buying with more than 1 meal in mind. I've told him that is what most people have been doing for years.

Today is another quiet day as OHs brother isn't well so he will go to visit him and I shall do some exciting ironing and maybe venture into the garden to do some weeding.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 29th Aug 16, 8:09 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

I had a lovely day yesterday. After OH visited his brother we went for a drive and ended up going round the coast from Carnlough to Ballycastle and we stopped at Murlough bay which we have visited for years but we found out yesterday it had been used for Game of Thrones so there were a lot more tourists than normal.

N Ireland is a gorgeous country when the sun shines and the beaches are amazing ....when the sun shines, it is just a shame we get 300 days of rain. OH even bought me an ice cream on our travels.

Now that we have booked our holiday I can go into work and confirm my holiday dates and let the Premises officer know what nights I can work.

Money front- yeah for payday. I'm hoping that I really don't need to buy anything for my holidays apart from sun cream and a few kindle downloads. The free books are a bit hit and miss so I will try the charity shop for some recent cast offs.
    Last edited by Munchin; 17-09-2016 at 8:03 AM.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 11th Sep 16, 2:01 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all,

MIA again . Sitting on sofa with a hot water bottle on the side of my belly. I have stomach issues which haven't been about for a while but have had a big flare up since Tuesday. I'm going to go back to my doctor to see if he has any new suggestions.

Positive front - 10 days until my holiday & I'm counting down the days. I still have to go through my summer clothes but I'm still pretty sure I don't need anything.

Money - still plugging away at savings but I would love to win the lottery.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 11th Sep 16, 8:37 PM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    We head off on 20th and I'm on a countdown. I'm not normally a sun seeker but this summer just seems to have been so dismal.
    Current target pay £26,805.30 by 31.12.2016. more than £14660.82 54.69% paid to date

Progress not perfection.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 15th Sep 16, 6:45 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi INOD - we go on 21st but isn't it typical we're now getting sunshine. Have a fantastic time.

So only 2 days of work left & it's so busy. I had to meet my boss yesterday in one of or further away locations which rang a wee alarm bell as he is my work today. So after much waffle I got told that I was taking on another managers work as well as my own. I kind of knew it was a possibility as the other manager has created world war 3 and has 3 cases pending against him. What can I say - it will be a challenge - + no extra pay. Didn't sleep well last night & I will be on holiday when news breaks.....

Money front - blah - could do better. I want new winter boots just because . Car passed MOT - so that is another year of keeping it on the road .

Ok lots of required today.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 17th Sep 16, 7:56 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

So close to my holiday and I need to seriously get sorted and print of all the bits and bobs I need. Check holiday clothes and wash & iron it all. I'm going to pop into charity shop today and get a few fluffy reads if they have them (3 x £1). I have my kindle but sometimes I like the old fashioned book.

Yesterday was manic and I'm kind of thinking that I have forgotten something in work but I've got 2 weeks leave and I'm going to enjoy every day. I'm still not sleeping just with rabbits chasing each other in my head but a few days away from work should sort that out.

OH forgot to mention that we are invited to his sisters birthday "do" at 3 today. I always like a wee bit of notice about these things and if I had known I could have got her a gorgeous bunch of flowers from work. I know I can buy them in the shop but the work ones are stunning.

My old grammar school have started a Facebook page and they added an old video on You Tube of pupils at the school wandering round the playground and classrooms from the year I left (not saying as it's a bit long ago). I thought I hated school but got really sentimental when I saw it. I think I recognised people but not sure.

Confession time - I've started saving up to buy a new to me car as the old one is getting on with enough miles to have travelled to the moon. I've been looking with OH for the past few months. I have enough saved up for 2 tyres and then thankfully my car passed its MOT this week and I planned to get another year out of it. I saw a car I really like when I was supposedly just nosying and OH & I were talking last night and he suggested that I should sell my car now as it has been MOT'd. With his redundancy he could lend me the money so it would be interest free. I'm going to think about it while I'm on holiday as I'm so tempted. It gives me a debt but in my head a good debt - I have something to show for it. Sorry for long post but I'm so tempted. Once I start night work I should be able to pay in back in a year. OH isn't fussed when I would pay him back but I would be. If only I didn't like shiny things .

On other money front - things are fine. I'm squirreling away savings and I have my euros for my holiday though OH insists he will pay for any additional meals when we are away. I start my overtime the first week in Oct .

Food front - haven't binged in ages and dare I say I could class myself as fully recovered.....I hope so. Still have the usual bleurgh days but I think that is part of life.

Time to get showered and dive into the holiday washing - fun.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 19th Sep 16, 7:55 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

Monday again and I'm on leave.

I went to the 'do' on Saturday and had a lovely time. I took 2 painkillers before I went as my stomach hasn't been the best for a few weeks and my ear was sore. I had a great time and we were home at a reasonable time and in bed by 10pm. Well at 4.30am the stomach cramps started and I was up sick until about 8am and then back to bed for a bit. I feel semi ok today but it's typical that when I finally take leave and have a holiday booked I take sick. Feeling semi ok now and hopefully it's over and it could have been worse it could have been at the airport on way to holibobs.

I have 2 different volunteer things on today so my first one is at 12.30 and the 2nd one is at 7pm. It kind of mucks up your day but at least I escape it all next week.

I still haven't packed yet but I promise it will be done today. I'm going to spend a wee bit of time reading about the resort and that should get me in the holiday mood.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Oct 16, 8:20 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

I'm back from my holidays and had a fantastic time. The sun shone everyday and the hotel was just perfect. We were both relaxed (most important thing) and really enjoyed ourselves and we didn't spend that much additional money so all good. The only downside was that I was violently sick on the plane on way over which isn't good when you can't crawl into your own bed and you are aware that people need the loo on the plane. I have to book an appointment with the doctor to sort out my stomach problems but I'm not sure if the sickness wass related my general health issues or was just a bug (I drank tea at airport bar so can't blame alcohol either).

OH suggested last night we give up drink for October. I think it will be no bother for me as I only drink a few glasses of wine at the weekend whereas OH would drink every other day. I think it's a good thing and am kind of interested to see how he gets on.

My friend texted about her Hen night in Nov so I've given her £20 deposit for the hotel which is £80 in total and includes b&b and evening meal + entrance to the hotel nightclub. I'm sure in total it will be at least £200 for the weekend. I'm really looking forward to it but have only set aside £80 in total in my budget. I guess I know where my night work money is going this month. Her wedding is in December and I am going to wear a dress I already have but need a handbag and a wedding gift. December is always expensive but this time it is going to be super expensive.

Car front - I'm going looking at cars today with OH and he is going to lend me the money. I hate car show rooms but OH loves them so I will trail behind him.

Money front - Pay day . My budget for October is £45 a week on groceries and general. I did a big enough shop yesterday to do us a while so hopefully the budget is doable. However we are probably going to have a take out tonight - so not so MSE.

I'm away to hoover out my car, clean the kitchen, make lunch and visit car dealers.
    Last edited by Munchin; 01-10-2016 at 12:12 PM.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 1st Oct 16, 12:13 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Money - £45 a week challenge.

Sun -
    Mon -
    Tues -
    Wed -
    Thurs -
    Fri -
    Sat -

Total = £xx/£45
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 7th Oct 16, 6:54 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all,

Oh dear - went back to work on Monday and it has been manic all week. I've inherited a lot more staff and work than I thought I would due to an incompetent manager and senior bosses trying to sweep issues under the carpet. It will keep me on my toes.

Money front - I need to update my spends but all good so far. I did my first night duty which was fine but I was knackered the next day. I think I've earned £100 after tax. I have 2 more nights next week.

Popping out at lunchtime for physio & then the weekend starts
    • in need of direction
    • By in need of direction 7th Oct 16, 8:05 AM
    • 4,063 Posts
    • 22,747 Thanks
    in need of direction
    Know those feelings so well. TGIF

Progress not perfection.
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 9th Oct 16, 4:09 PM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi all

INOD - staff are trying to come up with a new name for my section and so far they have "waifs and strays inherited from a c**p manager". I don't think it would fit on my business card. I've already found that in a week my workload has doubled and heaven knows when I will get it all done. I'm working tonight at 8pm - at least I won't get that Monday morning feeling.

I know I shouldn't mention that C word ... hint but I've just booked 2 tickets to the Ulster Orchestra in December for their "5 Gold Rings" concert - basically a night of Xmas carols. We went 2 years ago with freebie tickets and last year we went to see Handel Messiah - much preferred the Xmas carols. I like having things ahead of me to look forward to. I've already got 2 Xmas night outs booked in.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 15th Oct 16, 8:36 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Morning all

A week skips by again and I couldn't tell you where it went. I had 2 night shifts this week and was totally knackered yesterday so I was in bed by 9pm. I was a wee bit miffed as the night team I joined are making plans for a night out at Xmas but I haven't been invited. I know I've only joined the team but it's not nice to feel excluded. It could just be an oversight but I have to pretend I'm not aware of the do - I'm sure I left the playground a long time ago .

I was out 1 night with ex colleagues and it was so nice to catch up and to also realise that I'm in a happier place than my ex colleagues. I also spoke to a good friend who is coming home from England in 2 weeks so I made plans to go out for lunch. It's going to get so busy over the next month as I have nights out and a hen night but really looking forward to it.

Spending has been ok but the frittering is creeping back in again. I've not bought clothes and only smellies when they run out. I have to go buy tights as the old ones have a big hole in them - justifiable spend.

Eating front - I had a big wobble but picked myself up again. The basis of my ED recovery is to eat regularly and space meals out about 3 hours apart. Also dieting was the cause of the problem so it can't be part of the solution. Guess what I thought I could do - go on a "healthy eating plan"....diet...hmmmmm it took maybe 2 days for the panic and binge to set in and it took 1 day for me to wise up and go back to what works for me. I'm jotting it down to remind myself that others can diet but I can't. 6 small meals work for me and stick with it.

I'm off to yoga in an hour so i better grab some breakfast and try and look presentable. I need to buy a few wee groceries for the weekend and OH and I are back to looking at cars.

EF
    Total savings = £1901

• Munchin
    • By Munchin 15th Oct 16, 9:04 AM
    • 1,885 Posts
    • 5,430 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi again,

I try and do a £40 a week challenge but for rest of the October I have £284 to cover everything...should be interesting .

Money - £284 October

Sat 15 - £36.14 (groceries)
    Sun 16 - NSD
    Mon 17- NSD
    Tues 18 - £3.03 (dinner at work/night shift)
    Wed 19 - NSD
    Thurs 20 - NSD
    Fri 21 - £6.99 wine

Sat 22 - £25 beauticians

Total = £284/£212.57
    Last edited by Munchin; 22-10-2016 at 4:20 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,149Posts Today

7,687Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • MSE weekly email: Soap&Glory, Urgent 2YR cheap energy, free Tesco pts, cheap Easyjet, free TSB £100, £52 Ray-Bans https://t.co/bS4J70hBbx

• Today's twitter poll: Is it acceptable to use bad grammar in tweets in order to reduce character length?

• RT @danny_murphoo: @MartinSLewis Just switched to Flow energy. Saving £340 a year!! So easy, thanks a million!!

• Follow Martin