Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Caroline_a
    • By Caroline_a 24th Nov 11, 1:56 PM
    • 3,870 Posts
    • 10,654 Thanks
    Caroline_a
    • 24th Nov 11, 1:56 PM
    • 24th Nov 11, 1:56 PM
    Sorry can't help you with where to buy, but hopefully in such a tiny space you've got very tolerant neighbours! I lived briefly next to a family with one of these, and summer evenings were totally spoilt with kids screaming and bouncing whilst looking over the fence (which was 6 foot). Then followed by father and his slightly inebriated mates. Privacy was zero...
    • **Juice**
    • By **Juice** 24th Nov 11, 2:07 PM
    • 479 Posts
    • 297 Thanks
    **Juice**
    • 24th Nov 11, 2:07 PM
    • 24th Nov 11, 2:07 PM
    Oh god I was going to say the same as the poster above - our neighbours have one and I hate it, all I can hear is the creaking springs and shrieking from when I get home in the summer followed by heads popping over the fence. I'm very much a tolerant neighbour but this drives me absolutely mental as I feel like I can't relax. At one point they were going on it at like 7am before school and also on weekends - we kind of had to say something then, working all week to be woken up by that was a bit much.
  • the cows udders
    • 24th Nov 11, 2:48 PM
    • 24th Nov 11, 2:48 PM
    Neighbours either side don't use their gardens. Both are overgrown messes (but that's a whole new rant!) He's a timid little thing so I don't think he would scream on it and he won't be on it at anti-social times.

Thought it would do him good getting him out in the fresh air and doing exercise to be honest as he likes playing on the ones in the soft play.
    • jungle jane
    • By jungle jane 24th Nov 11, 2:54 PM
    • 579 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    jungle jane
    • 24th Nov 11, 2:54 PM
    • 24th Nov 11, 2:54 PM
    We have one next door and it goes really mouldy and nasty over winter. as a result the little girls won't play on it...

i have to say i also really hate it - its a major eyesore:-)
  • the cows udders
    • 24th Nov 11, 4:33 PM
    • 24th Nov 11, 4:33 PM
    Thanks but I was after buying information and not a discussion on why people hate neighbours trampolines
    • jess1974
    • By jess1974 24th Nov 11, 4:35 PM
    • 982 Posts
    • 1,135 Thanks
    jess1974
    • 24th Nov 11, 4:35 PM
    • 24th Nov 11, 4:35 PM
    We had one for a few years, it broke and fell apart so hubby took it to the tip, the kids were'nt bothered and we no longer have a big ugly eyesore in the garden.....
    • cte1111
    • By cte1111 24th Nov 11, 4:40 PM
    • 7,158 Posts
    • 375,471 Thanks
    cte1111
    • 24th Nov 11, 4:40 PM
    I think with a small garde, you'd be better off with a small trampoline like this one:
    http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3676008/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CToys+and+games%7C14417629/c_2/2%7C14417629%7CTrampolines+and+enclosures%7C144194 79/Trail/searchtext%3ETRAMPOLINE.htm

We've had a couple of these (first one was worn out by my daughter playing with it over a few years). Bit of a nightmare to put together - my OH put the first one together in the lounge then discovered he couldn't get it out of the doorway LOL! Well not at the time but maybe now.

If you get anything bigger, then you can't really use the garden for anything else. They can get lots of exercise on the little ones I found, also good counting practice to see how many jumps you can do in one go.
    • Bean Counter
    • By Bean Counter 24th Nov 11, 4:40 PM
    • 1,467 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    Bean Counter
    Must admit we use our a lot and are on our second one as the first fell apart after too much use. My only advice would be to make sure that the blue bit that covers the springs is on the outside of the safety net so that it can not be jumped on. This was the first bit to fall apart for our first one and is also probably safer, if that all makes sense.
    Today is the first day of the rest of your life
    • peaceandfreedom
    • By peaceandfreedom 24th Nov 11, 4:47 PM
    • 1,960 Posts
    • 8,452 Thanks
    peaceandfreedom
    I'm going round in circles looking at trampolines and wondering what is the best deal. It's a present for a 5 year old, but want something that will last a few years until it's outgrown, and would like a package that included the safety net and a ladder.

We only have a tiny garden so I've been looking at oval and rectangular ones, that would fit in a 12ft x 9ft space.

Has anyone got an oval or rectangular trampoline and which brands would you recommend? If anyone knows of any good deals, I would appreciate it
    Originally posted by the cows udders
    It's going to be tricky to find a decent trampoline to fit into such a tiny garden space. The biggest you can squeeze in would be a 6ft round trampoline. I can't imagine an oval one fitting in - oval trampolines tend to be quite large. Remember also that even a small trampoline can be quite tall, so it will dominate your garden completely. It will also kill off any grass underneath after a while.

We have a large (12ft) trampoline in our garden, but the garden is fairly big and surrounded by hedges. The children have knocked great fun out of it over the years and have put it to all kinds of uses. Ours is a Supertramp, it's a good brand and is in very good condition despite a great deal of use.

There is a buying guide here - it's quite long-winded but useful information:
    http://www.eurocosm.com/application/products/super-tramp/trampoline-tipsgb.asp

What I would advise is:
    a) Choose the best brand you can afford - I have seen so many trashed trampolines because they were cheap and only lasted one summer. You are wasting your money if you buy a cheap one.

b) When looking at enclosures, choose one that is kind of 'sewn in' at the bottom and attached in one place at the top - like this one
    not one that slots over the tube with a plastic casing like this. With the latter type, the net just gets ripped off the casing in no time at all. Also the child can end up bouncing onto the pad which can jolt them.

c) A 6ft trampoline is really quite small - it'd be a good idea to find somewhere that has trampolines set up (or visit friends who have one) so you can judge the size. Also measure your garden to make sure it'll fit in, and that there aren't any overhanging branches in the way.

There are a number of good brands - Supertramp, Jumpking being the better ones. Atlantic also look good. The range on offer at 6ft is rather small though and I'm not sure if these brands do 6ft ones.

Good luck with finding one. Our trampoline has been fab for the kids and has come in useful in all kinds of ways. It makes a great spot for reading the Sunday papers in the summer.

Getting things done is more useful than making things perfect.
    >>>Click here for my Debt-free diary<<<
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 24th Nov 11, 4:47 PM
    • 12,906 Posts
    • 17,088 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Nasty, dangerous things...

Parents ignore trampoline safety

• the cows udders
    Thanks. I think the little one would be a bit too baby-ish. He's got his heart set on a big one with a net round.

The garden is in the shade all day so it's not nice sitting out there. It's only really used for playing it so I don't mind a big trampoline filling it!
    • peaceandfreedom
    • By peaceandfreedom 24th Nov 11, 5:00 PM
    • 1,960 Posts
    • 8,452 Thanks
    peaceandfreedom
    Thanks but I was after buying information and not a discussion on why people hate neighbours trampolines
    Indeed. Also don't worry too much about the safety statistics, you just have to use a bit of common sense. Lots of things are far more dangerous - such as riding a bike.

It is likely your son will be on his own on the trampoline a lot of the time, but if he has a friend on with him, you will have to be careful to supervise them. Most accidents occur either when there is no enclosure and the child falls off, or if there is more than one child on the trampoline. Be especially careful if one child is a lot bigger than the other - the smaller one will get squashed.

The thing is, all the advice says to only have one child at a time, but they all have such tremendous fun when there's a few of them on there. They have all kinds of games they play. OK, it might be a bit loud for the neighbours but a garden full of kids will be loud whatever they're doing. Such is life.

• peaceandfreedom
    • By peaceandfreedom 24th Nov 11, 5:01 PM
    • 1,960 Posts
    • 8,452 Thanks
    peaceandfreedom
    Thanks. I think the little one would be a bit too baby-ish. He's got his heart set on a big one with a net round.

The garden is in the shade all day so it's not nice sitting out there. It's only really used for playing it so I don't mind a big trampoline filling it!
    Yes, the 6ft ones are a bit tiny. Would you be able to get a bigger one in - or perhaps your garden is a little bigger than you thought.

• peaceandfreedom
    • By peaceandfreedom 24th Nov 11, 5:04 PM
    • 1,960 Posts
    • 8,452 Thanks
    peaceandfreedom
    We have one next door and it goes really mouldy and nasty over winter. as a result the little girls won't play on it...

i have to say i also really hate it - its a major eyesore:-)
    Originally posted by jungle jane
    They are not pretty things, it must be said, though if they start getting a bit tatty they look even worse. Over the winter, it won't be used so much so you could unhook the netting at the top and cover the main part of the trampoline with a cover until Spring has sprung. Keeps the worst of the green slimy stuff off.

• the cows udders
    Yes, the 6ft ones are a bit tiny. Would you be able to get a bigger one in - or perhaps your garden is a little bigger than you thought.
    Originally posted by peaceandfreedom
    I'll have a measure tomorrow as it's dark now!

Thanks for all your help
  • Caroline73
    I bought an 8ft Leapfrog trampoline on eBay from 'sofa-company' a few months ago. They were cheap but the trampoline and enclosure are great.

They trade online at WWW.trampoline-warehouse.co.uk but were cheaper on eBay. I paid less than £100 including delivery.
    Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.
    • pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 24th Nov 11, 5:20 PM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 23,054 Thanks
    pulliptears
    When I worked in an independent toy shop TP were renowned for being the hardest wearing trampolines, of course this also made them more expensive, but if you want a trampoline to last for the kids entire childhood then thats probably amongst the better makes: http://www.tptoys.com/

Make sure you cover it over winter and you should be fine.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• pulliptears
    • By pulliptears 24th Nov 11, 5:25 PM
    • 13,554 Posts
    • 23,054 Thanks
    pulliptears
    Incidentally, please do make 100% sure you can fit one in..... When I bought DD one I was certain a 10ft would easily fit on the bottom lawn. I'd purchased it cheaply when Index Catalogues went bust on the high street, I think I paid about £55 for trampoline and enclosure so I wasn't going to argue at that price. Anyway, the space I wanted it in looked a lot bigger than it actually was and well....

Needless to say (if you have managed to spot it!) its secured with iron rods sunk into concrete and is amazingly still completely level after 5 years. Bit scary bouncing on a precipice but one hell of a view from up there. LMAO.
    OH was less than impressed with me I can assure you.
    "Gggggrrrrrr Rrrraaaahhh Rrrrrrggghhhhnn" - Chewbacca (The Empire Strikes Back)

• toffifee
    • By toffifee 24th Nov 11, 5:35 PM
    • 229 Posts
    • 269 Thanks
    toffifee
    If you're anywhere near Maidenhead/Reading there's a brilliant place where you can go and see/try out lots of different trampolines. They deliver and can recommend a couple of lads to put it up for you. Will try to remember the name and post when it comes back to me....

Found it: http://www.justoutdoortoys.co.uk/
    Last edited by toffifee; 25-11-2011 at 9:55 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

257Posts Today

1,177Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin