Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jacobsdaduk
    • By jacobsdaduk 23rd Nov 11, 4:25 PM
    • 163Posts
    • 57Thanks
    jacobsdaduk
    1&1 internet persuing me via debt collection agency Arvato
    • 23rd Nov 11, 4:25 PM
    1&1 internet persuing me via debt collection agency Arvato 23rd Nov 11 at 4:25 PM
    Not sure where to post this - hope this is the right place...

About 18 months ago I bought a domain name and basic hosting package from 1&1 internet. It got to the end of the year and I had no intention of continuing with the service so let it expire.

Around this time, I got an email from 1&1 telling me that they had tried to take monies for the next year but my debit card had been declined for around £70. I emailed them back within 30 minutes of the email saying that I didn't want the service anymore. Annoyingly, I got an auto response telling that the email address concerned didn't accept incoming email so I had to go on their website and send a message.

A few days later they replied telling me I have to go online to cancel my account which I did immediately and received a cancellation email.

That was the end of it….or so I thought.

Recently I got an email from a company called Arvato who are instructed by 1&1 to pursue me for the “debt” (they had to email me as I have moved address). I explained to them that I cancelled the domain, supplied them with lots of emails to show I had acted in good faith and also a copy of the confirmation of cancellation.

Today they have replied to say “Unfortunately, your cancellation was processed after the date that your invoice was raised. 1&1 Internet Ltd’s terms and conditions stipulate that cancellations must be processed at least fourteen days prior to the renewal date which has not been the case with your account” and asked me to pay.

I’m not aware of any agreement that said I would allow repeat billing and I certainly didn’t sign a credit agreement. I did act in good faith as soon as I saw that I had been invoiced and I did take all steps to cancel the service as soon as I realised I was being billed for it.

I think it’s grossly unfair that I am now being pursued for this given that it was never made clear to me and I would like to know who/where I can turn to next. Would this be a matter for the FOS? Should I let them issue proceedings and then show the court what I did? Are there any documents I can request to help my case?

Any advice would be gratefully received. This has now become a matter of principal for me and I’m not prepared to have my credit record blighted by 1&1’s sneaky business practices! Have I got any rights?
    Happy with my advice? The please use the 'thanks' button vvvvvvvvvvvvv
Page 2
    • Sampong
    • By Sampong 21st Apr 12, 4:23 PM
    • 832 Posts
    • 1,465 Thanks
    Sampong
    What I did was send a letter both to 1 & 1 AND Avarato. I can't remember exactly what he content was but I basically told them in no uncertain terms that I was going to report them to trading standards and the media, and made it quite clear I was prepared to take the matter as far as it would go.

The letter above by Bargepole for example is pure gold; http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=50529975&postcount=5

When I sent the letter, I received a reply within a day saying the matter is now closed. They want to screw people and get them to pay up, but they don't want hassle or exposure.........
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 21st Apr 12, 6:32 PM
    • 9,885 Posts
    • 2,872 Thanks
    chanz4
    They are bad at this, got to admit they tried to catch me out on this. However they do send emails:

This is a reminder about the forthcoming automatic domain
    renewal for the following listed domain (s) within your contract
    000000 that are due to expire
    in 6 weeks on 25 May 2012

domain.co.uk

1&1 automatically renews your domains for you so you never have
    to worry about an interruption to your domain ownership until
    you tell us not to.

1&1 auto-renewal is an important service provided with all
    1&1 registered domains. At 1&1, we know that all domains are
    valuable and we are pleased to offer domain services that protect
    your domain.

For more information about auto-renewal and other 1&1 domain
    services, please reference the following FAQ articles:

What are the domain renewal costs?
    http://faq.1and1.co.uk/search/go.php?t=e728146

How do I disable auto-renew for a domain?
    http://faq.1and1.co.uk/search/go.php?t=e768408

How do I cancel a domain and/or additional items from my package?
    http://faq.1and1.co.uk/search/go.php?t=e623833

Please make sure that your payment information is up-to-date
    for your upcoming renewal. To verify your current payment details,
    password at:
    https://my.1and1.co.uk/xml/config/ChangeCCDataPrep

We offer PayPal and Direct Debit payment methods as alternatives to
    credit/debit
    cards.

The registration/billing cycle for .uk domains is 2 years. For
    all other domains, the billing cycle is 1 year. Your account will
    be automatically charged at the beginning of each registration/billing
    cycle, for the entire cycle.

1&1 is committed to offering the most competitive prices and best
    services in the domain environment and we hope we shall continue
    to meet and surpass your service expectations.

If you have any queries, please don't hesitate to contact our
    Support Services http://1and1.co.uk/contact

Thank you for choosing 1&1 as your trusted domain provider.

Best regards,

Your 1&1 Internet Team
    1&1 Internet Ltd.
    www.1and1.co.uk
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
    • cjabingham
    • By cjabingham 2nd May 12, 9:43 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    cjabingham
    just delete their emails
    best thing to do. They don't send me postal letters as I don't live at the address I gave 1&1 any longer. Well they might but I don't get them!
  • ianknight69
    Also remember (having fallen foul of 1&1 and Arvato as well) is that if you use the Cancellation Control Panel on the 1&1 website and don't get an eMail confirming the cancellation - then as far as 1&1 are concerned, you still owe them money. I ended up paying up just to keep Arvato quiet and 1&1 from ringing up chasing £45! If I'd had more patience I would have argued the toss more - the 'touching' thing was, the kid I spoke to at Arvato had never even seen the 1&1 Cancellation Control so didn't understand what I was saying!

Personally I wouldn't touch 1&1 with a bargepole and I actively discourage friends from using them - I've had much much better service from Evo Hosting who are UK based and enjoy having customers.
  • Esarbe
    Well I sent everything off to Sheffield Trading Standards two weeks ago asking their advice but haven't heard anything from them either!! 1&1 won't talk to me and Avarto just keep asking me to pay (they just keep extending the deadline when I don't).
  • chesterfield
    Im currently having a really fun time with 1and1 internet.

I have for 3 years had a virtual server package costing £29.99 per month. All was going well until May of this year when I received a message stating that the latest invoice could not be taken from my paypal account.

The reason being, that the latest invoice was for £2,833.74.

Yes, thats two thousand, eight hundred pounds.

In April, the server stopped responding for a couple of days - I couldnt connect to the control panel either. Upon connecting via a terminal connection, I could see that the software had become corrupt. So, I raised a support ticket, and while waiting for it to be fixed, just installed a couple of missing files that were corrupt and fixed it myself.

It seems that this corruption also corrupted the data usage logs too.

Upon inspection of why they had levvied this invoice, it appears that contrary to our usual 5 (five) gigabytes of usage per day on the server, on the two days when the server was corrupt and unresponsive, it somehow lodged usage statistics of 3,808 GB in that 48 hour period. 2,400 of that in one 24 hour period.

Yes, rather than usage of 5 (five) Gigabytes in a 24 hour period. 1and1 internet are saying my server which was used to host a small car club forum, used over 2,400 GB (2.4 Terrabytes) in 24 hours. Over 4.1 terrabytes in the month. and they are of course charging me £1+vat for each Gigabyte over the 2000 per month I was allowed (even though the package is now sold as unlimited too!)

Now heres the rub....

the server has a 100mb network connection. It is physically impossible for a 100mb network connection to transmit more than 1008 GB in a 24 hour period, even if we had caused this usage, which we havent.

All attempts to advise 1and1 of this physical fact, and advise thenm that this is an error on their records have so far failed. I even have screen shots showing that the 1and1 usage statistics for the single client (website) installed on this server show a usual 5GB per day other than those two days when the server was offline and it shows next to nothing.

So, its now in Arvatos hands too. To be very fair, the people I have spoken to at Arvato seem to actually grasp the issue and can see my point that the invoice cant be right (although they cant say that of course), but they have to take it back to the idiots at 1and1 internet who seemingly have no understanding what so ever of the issue, and cant see past "computer says so"...
    • jacobsdaduk
    • By jacobsdaduk 5th Jul 12, 2:16 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    jacobsdaduk
    I haven't heard from 1and1 since the time I wrote on this thread, or Arvato. It's gone very quiet.............
  • Esarbe
    I had a letter from HL Legal giving me seven days to respond or face court action. I didn't respond as it wouldn't bother me if it went before a county court judge. That was dated 17th May and I have heard nothing since.

I did get an email from 1&1 asking me to complete a survey regarding my recent query with their billing department on 7th July (I haven't made any queries) - so I guess that someone somewhere is querying my account!
    • jacobsdaduk
    • By jacobsdaduk 10th Jul 12, 12:08 PM
    • 163 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    jacobsdaduk
    I had a letter from HL Legal giving me seven days to respond or face court action. I didn't respond as it wouldn't bother me if it went before a county court judge. That was dated 17th May and I have heard nothing since.
    Originally posted by Esarbe
    I got one of those in February but only found out yesterday as they wrote to my old address - they haven't written again since.

They can take me to County Court for all I care - if I lose I'll just have to pay £5 a month until it's paid off, but I suspect that a decent counter argument will get it thrown out of court anyway. Their behaviour is dubious at best!
    Last edited by jacobsdaduk; 10-07-2012 at 12:11 PM.
  • lordsalisbury
    I'm so happy I found this thread - I have been receiving vaguely threatening emails from these people - at first I thought it was a scam, their mails were designated 'spam' by my gmail account (I only found one by chance), I assumed they were just fishing around, hoping to intimidate people into giving them money.

I have no debts (apart from student loan), but I did have a couple of websites with 1 & 1, years ago, so it must be that.

I don't know what I "owe" them, it must be 20 quid, at most.

I've moved a couple of times since then, and I don't actually live in the UK anymore, this arvato lot don't even seem to know my name - they address the emails to the name in my email address, not my actual name (but fyi, if you respond to me on these forums, it is correct that you address me as 'your lordship' ).

I was wondering if anyone has been 'taken all the way' by this company, or do they eventually back down when their bullying tactics don't work?

Is there anything normal bods like me can do to stop 1&1 and arvato doing this? Complain to Trading Standards? Or the FOS? It annoys me when companies act in bad faith in this way, and I don't think it should be allowed.
    Last edited by lordsalisbury; 20-08-2012 at 10:15 AM.
  • just me in the garden
    My letter appeared last week from Arvato at my address a huge £14,94 !
    I am amazed at this as I cancelled ALL services with 1&1 December 2011 (domain name, email server), when I called to complain to 1&1, all the lady said was "for security reasons she can't tell me if the account was closed, and I need to log in" but of course I can't log in as the email (one of the cancelled services) no longer works ! She then repeated the same thing ?!? Then very kindly cut me off.... Arvato say they can't do anything and if I don't pay all costs will increase and I should contact 1&1 !

It really annoys me they can just do this... I have contacted trading standards but no reply, so I guess a recorded delivery letter to 1&1 will be next... crazy waste of time !
    • Bedsit Bob
    • By Bedsit Bob 20th Sep 12, 3:57 PM
    • 9,833 Posts
    • 51,598 Thanks
    Bedsit Bob
    I telephoned Arvarto and spoke with a person who said that as I was unable to prove that I had sent the letters to 1&1 then they effectively didn’t exist
    Originally posted by Esarbe
    I'm pretty sure that's bulls**t.

Mail is considered to have been sent, when it is posted.

That it didn't arrive does not mean it "effectively didn’t exist".
    My job is Top Secret. Even I don't know what I'm doing.

Amount I have so far denied the BBC - £1161
  • NuclearPhotoShot
    I've also had issues with 1&1 but with more bizarre circumstances.

I had a dedicated server with them which was costing about £60 Inc VAT per month on a rolling 30 day contract which I was using as a temporary storage pool. Then came the time that I no longer needed the server so I attempted to cancel. The issue I had was that when I logged into the control panel, my contract didn't display anything in the Control Panel. Anyhow I managed to cancel after making several complaints which probably cost me nearly £30 in Phone Calls and my time to do so. However they continued to charge me a further 2 invoices for £120 Inc VAT. I contested this immediately and they tried to say that I had never cancelled. But they were willing to refund half of 1 invoice. (Cheek!) I declined and said that I'd rather dispute this as an unauthorised transaction with my bank. Which I duly did. After I had spoken with my Bank (Halifax for my sins) They logged it as a debit card dispute and contacted 1&1 on my behalf. The bank contacted me a week later when I was on holiday abroad and seemed delighted to tell me that they'd won the case and that both transactions were to re-appear in my account within the next 24 hours (Actually it took less than 5 minutes! )

Anyhow, a few months later 1&1 sent me another invoice demanding £60 odd because my card details had declined. I contacted them and explained why I didn't owe this money because I had made a dispute with my bank and if I wasn't entitled to be refunded then why did you authorise my bank to refund me? They replied saying that "Basically the invoice is valid and must be paid" To which I said, Good Luck with that and put the phone down. The reason they know longer have my card details is that Halifax ordered them to delete them as part of the dispute (They say this is standard procedure no matter the outcome of the dispute. But I don't have this in writing!)

Anyhow I received and e-mail from Arvato around Mid July asking me to make contact. I did owe another company funds around that time that I had genuinely overlooked after some initial confusion with an invoice (2 Invoice numbers that were almost identical but 2 numbers were in a different order and being slightly dyslexic I didn't spot it! ), So my thinking was that it was regarding this. I made contact immediately to explain the situation. I supplied my address for security. It was wrong. Hmmm Odd, so I gave my previous address (Which I had lived in for over 2 years) Wrong again... Weird, Turned out it was my address before that where I had lived for 8 months. Well I had updated my address with 1&1 to my previous address and clearly that hadn't administered this properly (Clearly their computer systems are THAT bad as this has happened twice so far!)

So I explained the situation to Arvato and the chap I spoke to was polite and professional (Which I wasn't expecting from a DRA) and seemed confident that if I supplied a letter from my bank regarding the dispute, that the case would be closed and also said and I quote "We have no interest in pursuing it if you're not going to pay it". So I contacted my bank and asked for a letter regarding the dispute and they supplied me one which arrived just before I went away to a conference. In the vein hope to get rid of these moronic imbeciles I took the letter with me to scan and e-mail in a PDF to Arvato, Who confirmed it's receipt (They take forever to answer e-mails too).

Unfortunately it is still an ongoing matter. I received further correspondence from them asking for my cancellation e-mail. E-Mail Yea right! I replied 'in a nutshell' saying that an e-mail should never be used as an official communication notice because they can be intercepted and/or manipulated without anyone knowing (I work in IT and I know exact how possible and in some cases easy this is to do)

The next problem I have is that even if I wanted to send them the cancellation e-mail, the simple truth is that I no longer have it. Around June the server where my e-mails were stored suffered a rather unpleasant Mailbox Database Corruption which wasn't abundantly clear was developing until one evening when I restarted the server and Exchange wouldn't mount the Mailbox Database. This meant that the corruption was present in the regular 6 hourly server backups also. The real problem was the corruption started in January that year after a the servers power supply unit popped, So I lost nearly 6 months worth of e-mail (The majority was just Facebook and Twitter Updates trash anyway, apart from a few invoices I had hard copies of or were available from the cloud again anyway!)

But in all truths, I don't recall receiving such an e-mail anyway and as another user said, It probably ended in my Junk. But lets face it, If they can't get my address right when I change it TWICE, they probably can't send an e-mail either.

Since then I have received 2 e-mails asking me to make contact to discuss a matter of mutual importance, both of which I have ignored. Delivery Receipts are turned off on my server, So I have a leg to stand on if I deny ever receiving them. (Not that I would)

It has been most tempting to create a Transport Rule in Exchange that if they e-mail again will reply:

Error 5.7.666: I cannot deliver this message to the aforementioned address because I have decided that you lack sufficiently rated skills to be worthy of communicating with the user mailbox that I maintain. Good Day! *Note: You will shortly be invoiced for £90 (The amount you are attempting to claim off of my client) for wasting my time and requesting I make this decision. Delivering e-mails to Exchange 2010 Mailboxes and iPhones when I am a Windows Based Program is highly expensive and takes a lot of effort you know... But you already knew that! *

But I won't. In all seriousness though, Does anyone have any idea as to what I should do in my situation? I am happy to keep ignoring them. Do you think I should send a similar letter to that of Bargepole?

Many Thanks NPN
  • scammedandangry
    avoid this dodgy company , a fraud , a con , a scam , read the thousands ripped off search for 1 and 1 review on the web
  • cjmuller
    Yet another weary victim of 1 & 1 & their crude business practice.
    Thanks go to Bargepole and everyone else who contributed to this forum. Like most others on here we are law abiding people so my wife is very scared that we are about to have some low-life knocking on our door, she thinks I should pay just to get rid of them. After having read this thread and others of a similar nature I say we don't settle.

We have received a FORMAL NOTICE OF ACTION from Arvato asking for £50.86 and this harassment has been going on from Avarto for about 8 months. I have, in the past, contacted 1&1, Arvato and the man who advised me to use this hosting service. I gave them a written record of all my proceedings from 24th December 2010 - when I paid £53.29 for what is called a Beginner's deal. I will leave out a lot of the detail because it just duplicates the numerous posts in this thread.

I contacted the Financial Ombudsman Service in writing on the 3rd April 2012 seeking 'closure'. They replied 10 weeks later saying they could not help but I should go to Ofcom. I did not spend the time doing this but perhaps I should have done - the reply from the Ombudsman somewhat deflated me.

So what now? I'm not going to stop, I'm not going to pay, so I will check out with Ofcom and our Citizens Advice Bureau. No doubt I will then be sending the Bargepole letter (not sure about the Lord Lucan bit though!). I will also check with my local police station to check if there are grounds for stopping the threatening emails and letters. According to Honest John in the D.Tel. there is well established law on harassment.

So thanks again to all of you for all the ideas & wordings and if I ever find a clear-cut solution I will post on here for the sake of all to read in the future.
    • silverbanana
    • By silverbanana 28th Nov 12, 12:49 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    silverbanana
    Hey all,

Interesting thread that I just found doing a bit of digging! I too received the following email this morning:-

Dear Stuart Dessler,

We have attempted to contact you prior to this email to discuss a matter of mutual importance.

Could you please call us on 0870-1258809 quoting your reference number 935849822268 or alternatively, reply to this email acknowledging its receipt and provide us with a contact number so we may speak with you directly.

Yours faithfully,

The Collections Team
    Finance Services
    ----------------------------------------
    arvato UK
    Block 2, Willerby Business Park
    Willerby
    HU10 6FE
    United Kingdom

collections@arvato.co.uk
    They do say what comes around goes around.. You will be pleased to know though, I have plenty of time and patience to pursue them myself and will go after them (all the way! with my own solicitor.

Will update you on my progress. I think it's important someone actually takes this seriously as god forbid how many others have become victim by these shameless tactics. Although after 2 years I would've hoped one of you would've had energy and cash to invest in it yourself..
  • rousler62
    I'm glad I found this thread. thanks to everyone for sharing your experiences. I too fell foul of the automatic renewal but am also being chased for payment for Norton Anti-Virus which I never ordered in the first place. I am more than happy to be taken to court and have my defence already drafted though I will now add something about unfair contract terms. I'll keep you posted.
  • SSTSparkz
    Hi Guys I wanted to add to this that I am also having some problems trying to cancel a contract with them which I believe I was mis-sold the package due to misrepresenting.

I Will explain...

I wanted a domain plus webhost who would be able to provide me with Cpanel now some of you may know what Cpanel is and other might not. Cpanel is a bit of software which in my eyes helps me work my web space because I am formila with the controls and it grants me easy access to things like fantastico and mysql.

Adverts on there website at the time of buying had a lot of just go to your Cpanel and do this and that. so I decided to purchase. one I got set up as it take about 24 hours I noticed that there wasn't Cpanel or a way to access it. so I contacted technical support after a few emails trying to get the to understand it wasn't until I called them that I got the answer that they do not support it. so on the phone I advised I wanted to cancel the contract as it wasn't what I wanted.

The guy on the phone told me to go online and cancel through my account, so I did and I thought that was the end of it as when I looked back there was nothing on my account.

a few weeks later I get an email saying they cannot take money from my paypal and I though well that's funny because I haven't got anything you should be charing me for. I even looked back to see if this was correct and again under the the control panel it states I have no packages as both where cancelled.

a few days later I get a dept notice wanting money and this is where I decided to call them, when I contacted the they state that I did no cancel the contract correctly that i needed to call them and told them that they had clearly mis-informed me how to cancel then. and spending 45 mins on the phone got the dept wipe clear and one of the contract cancelled, I have no idea why I had 2? but when trying to cancel what they called the business package they said that I was stuck in a years contract and that they could not cancel it. I advised them that I wouldnt not be using the service or paying them and they lead me on to complains. which after a few emails they are just stating sorry but we cannot cancel.

where do I stand with this? I cancelled in what I believe is a reasonable amount of time the service is of no good and was mis-sold in some respects when I first purchased the package. can anyone help?
    • jacobsdaduk
    • By jacobsdaduk 4th Jan 13, 10:16 AM
    • 163 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    jacobsdaduk
    I told Avarto to sue me and told them what counter defence I intended to use. That was back in September 2012 and I haven't heard from them since. Maybe they're putting together a huge file on me
  • Hilti28
    I just received an email from them but it didn't mention 1&1 but I have used them but did search for arvato and found this thread and sent them the message someone previously posted...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,379Posts Today

8,171Users online

Martin's Twitter