IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Asda Price Guarantee
Views: 4,021
# 1
WOW Factor 0
Beenie
Old 21-11-2011, 10:40 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default Asda Price Guarantee

I tried this for the first time last week and found that you must have at least 8 different items (i.e. wine, chocs, magazines, fruit etc.) for this to work.

I spent over 60 on wine, cat food and cat litter but couldn't do 'PriceGuarantee' as it was classed as 3 items only.

Just wanted to alert others to be sure to pick up a couple of cheap items in order to reach the magic 8.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Beenie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
sarah1972
Old 21-11-2011, 2:36 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

be careful if you pick up cheap things as they always come up as non comparible!

ie I bought smartprice bacon and Tesco has no alternative (I thought they would compare it to Tesco Value but they dont)

Here are a few more from my recent receipt;

1 x Big & British Extra Large Eggs (6) 1.00 N/A
1 x ASDA Minced Steak & Onion Slices (2x165g)1.00 N/A
2 x ASDA Beef & Tomato Noodle Snack (93g)1.00 N/A
1 x ASDA Shallots (450g)1.00 N/A
4 x ASDA Brisket Pot Roast Large by Weight (100g)22.00 N/A
2 x ASDA Spicy Curry Noodle Snack (90g)1.00N/A
2 x ASDA Smartprice Caramel Wafers (5 per pack - 85g)0.80 N/A
1 x ASDA Seasonal Vegetable Medley (320g)1.65N/A
2 x ASDA Meat Feast Pasta Bake (800g)4.00 N/A
1 x ASDA Spinach & Feta Parcels (6 per pack - 180g)1.50 N/A
1 x ASDA Chilli Beef Pasta Bake (1.5Kg)4.95 N/A
1 x Natural Selection American Cranberry (170g)1.00 N/A
2 x Heinz Chopped Tomatoes in Tomato Juice (4x400g)3.00N/A
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

New to MSE? http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/sit...oduction-guide

Last edited by sarah1972; 21-11-2011 at 2:41 PM.
# 3
VfM4meplse
Old 01-12-2011, 3:12 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Is it just the difference refunded (in which case it's not worth it), or double? I'm following prices on mysupermaket.com but tbh it feels like a bit of a waste of time for pennies.
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!
# 4
sarah1972
Old 02-12-2011, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfM4meplse View Post
Is it just the difference refunded (in which case it's not worth it), or double? I'm following prices on mysupermaket.com but tbh it feels like a bit of a waste of time for pennies.
Asda guarentee to be 10% cheaper otherwise they refund the difference only but i you spend 40 with Asda and then do the price guarentee you also get a 5 voucher to spend on your next shop.

Details here http://shop.asda.com/asda-price-guar...ist-bannerHead
I'm a Board Guide on the Freebies and Freebies (Low Spend) Board, discount codes 'n' vouchers and music moneysaving boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The Following User Says Thank You to sarah1972 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
jolfc
Old 02-12-2011, 5:20 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah1972 View Post
Asda guarentee to be 10% cheaper otherwise they refund the difference only but i you spend 40 with Asda and then do the price guarentee you also get a 5 voucher to spend on your next shop.

Details here http://shop.asda.com/asda-price-guar...ist-bannerHead
is it 5 everytime you spend 40, as i have one 5 voucher now so could i collect say 3 and use them on my big christmas shop does anyone know,
The Following User Says Thank You to jolfc For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
sarah1972
Old 02-12-2011, 7:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolfc View Post
is it 5 everytime you spend 40, as i have one 5 voucher now so could i collect say 3 and use them on my big christmas shop does anyone know,
not sure of the expiry dates on them, I dont think they have a long date on them so check that before you store them up if that makes sense?

Good point though, could be worth a call to clarify.

# 7
shione
Old 02-12-2011, 11:37 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolfc View Post
You can only use one 5 voucher per transaction. If u have more than one 5 voucher and have a lot of shopping, ask the cashier to tell you when your total comes to 40, Pay for it and then carry on until the next 40 and use another 5 voucher.
Not sure if u would get another apg 5 bonus doing the shopping this way.
# 8
magenta22
Old 02-12-2011, 12:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think this is brilliant if this is your usual shop.

Only do the weekly shop so haven't tried it for few items but wines are not always comparable as they all stock different ones - plus Asda tend to do the 3 for 10 deal.

I got almost 3 back this week plus my 5 voucher - it's not much but it helps and if they are cheaper anyway I don;t mind
# 9
james_joyce
Old 03-12-2011, 12:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned before. If your Asda shopping includes promotional items, this obviously makes it cheaper, ie more likely to be 10% cheaper than elsewhere, so you're less likely to get the extra voucher. The solution is to put all those promotional items through as one transaction, then put all your other shopping in another transaction which you can use for the price guarantee (if it's over 40).
# 10
calisto
Old 15-12-2011, 8:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hmm... this ASDA price guarantee - I'm confused.

I have recently become addicted to St. Agur Creme blue cheese. It used to be 1.59 then 1.69 in ASDA a tub, but I was shocked to see it jump up to 2.00 a tub. I can't justify that for this little luxury even in this miserable inflationary age.

Checking mysupermarket.com it's 1.59 in 3 of the big 5 supermarkets, and only ASDA has the insanity price of 2.00.

So methinks, I remember this 10% guarantee malarky, so I bought my 2.00 tub along with a french stick and some beer as a nice take out snack, knowing I will get my 10% guarantee the following morning...

NOT!!

I didn't buy "8 items" that qualify.... So if I bought 8 x 2 tubs would I qualify? I think not, as it appears you need 8 *different* items, but they have to be "qualifying items". How the !!!! am I meant to know what qualifies?

Also, as much as I love this blue cream cheese stuff, I really don't want to buy 8 of them anyway, but getting 'em for 16p per tub cheaper than the other supermarkets would mean 4 of them would suit. I can easily polish them off before the sell by dates.

Also, is the 10% cheaper deal done on the subtotal of the receipt or each individual item? I can imagine buying my 4 tubs of Agur thinking I am clever and going to get a refund of 57p per tub, only to find that other deals ASDA will mark up to suit Tesco/etc and so I lose out overall?

TL;DR - ASDA 10% guarantee - is it a scam?

PS. This 40 / 5 voucher - I cannot see what this offer is on the links provided.
# 11
calisto
Old 15-12-2011, 10:02 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Ok, just got back from ASDA, played safe and got 3 of the 2 Agur's, then made sure I bought another at least 7 items, mostly from SmartPrice, and then added on the end of day bakery deals, Granary French Stick for 18p, 8 Apple Toffee bread things for 12p instead of 1.50 or something, 6 Ciabbata rolls for 10p instead of a quid. I know the cut down bargains will not be applicable to the 10% guarantee, but I will see what happens tomorrow morning when I price check.
# 12
calisto
Old 16-12-2011, 9:48 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Got 2.09 back - so at least the St. Agur's are more than paid for.

Unfortunately I purchased 4 cans of Marstons Pedigree for 3.50 ASDA which where 4.25 or something in Tesco, and so they took this off.

Also loads of items declared N/A as they were ASDA own brand sweets, yet the own brand Smartprice Salmon Bits, and own brand Hummous were included, and also the branded Youngs Mariners pie didnt show up in Tesco, but the Admiral pies did compare???

Looking at the receipts, the comparison websites, etc, I still can't work out what is going on... I mean with the "8 rule"...??

Last edited by calisto; 16-12-2011 at 9:50 PM.
# 13
aau1
Old 20-12-2011, 2:16 PM

I've got almost 6 of vouchers which I have to spend. The question and answers section of their website says:

"you can redeem your voucher at the customer service desk if you are spending less than the value of the voucher"

Does anyone know if that means I could buy a paper for 30p and then get 5.70 cash back or does it mean they would exchange my 6 vouchers for 5.70 vouchers??
# 14
aau1
Old 20-12-2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisto View Post
it appears you need 8 *different* items, but they have to be "qualifying items". How the !!!! am I meant to know what qualifies?
According to Asda Price Guarantee website they will compare a "qualifying basket or trolley of food grocery products you've bought at our stores or online as long as there are at least 8 different items, of which at least 1 should be comparable"

When they say "qualifying" they mean it can't be in the following categories: Home, Electricals, Furnishings, Garden, Entertainment, Hardware, Sports, Toys, George, Kiosk, Jewellery, Prescriptions, Optical, Fuel, Photo-processing, Dry Cleaning and all online only products including financial services, flowers, mobile, travel and gifts

i.e. it is a food grocery comparison tool only

So you can compare your shop if it contains any 8 different food grocery products that are not in the above categories and at least 1 of them are sold in a competitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisto View Post
PS. This 40 / 5 voucher - I cannot see what this offer is on the links provided.
Details are HERE

But this offer only applies to receipts dated up to 11th December and checked on APG before 15th January. If your receipt is dated after Dec 11th then you won't qualify (something I only realised today when checking a receipt dated Dec 19th)

Last edited by aau1; 20-12-2011 at 2:40 PM.
# 15
sparky0138
Old 20-11-2012, 4:58 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I have a question hopefully someone will know the answer to. If I have one of the 5 off a 40 shop vouchers from the price guarantee and the next time I go shopping I spend 40 (therefore taking my bill down to 35 when using the voucher) would I then get another 5 off voucher when I do the price check or would I need to spend 45 to bring it down to 40 in order to qualify?
# 16
aau1
Old 20-11-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky0138 View Post
I have a question hopefully someone will know the answer to. If I have one of the 5 off a 40 shop vouchers from the price guarantee and the next time I go shopping I spend 40 (therefore taking my bill down to 35 when using the voucher) would I then get another 5 off voucher when I do the price check or would I need to spend 45 to bring it down to 40 in order to qualify?
Yes, you would

No need to spend 45 at all
Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
The Following User Says Thank You to aau1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
alinwales
Old 20-11-2012, 12:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

most times when I go shopping, I spend 80 to 100... and the 'qualifying items' total comes to around 20-30... so most of my shopping never qualifies... and of the stuff that does, it only has to be around 2 cheaper. I'm not a person to split my shopping into loads... too much hassle for what may be another quid.
# 18
aau1
Old 20-11-2012, 1:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alinwales View Post
most times when I go shopping, I spend 80 to 100... and the 'qualifying items' total comes to around 20-30... so most of my shopping never qualifies... and of the stuff that does, it only has to be around 2 cheaper. I'm not a person to split my shopping into loads... too much hassle for what may be another quid.
if you are doing 80-100 a time just split your shopping in two and get 2 receipts for between 40 and 50 each and with more than 8 different items on them.

It doesn't matter what the comparable values are or if you get an Asda Price Guarantee voucher or not because You will get 2x5 off 40 vouchers either way

So the next week when you are doing your 80-100 shop just split it in two again, use a 5 voucher on each transaction, save 10 in total and then do the same next week

This promo is running for the rest of the year and you could easily save 10 a week (more if yo get an APG for any of your receipts)
Apparently, everybody knows that the bird is the word a moorhen
The Following User Says Thank You to aau1 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
sparky0138
Old 20-11-2012, 1:40 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aau1 View Post
Yes, you would

No need to spend 45 at all
Thanks, aau1. Thought that was the case but just thought I'd have someone confirm it.
# 20
LutonGirl
Old 26-11-2012, 3:30 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I popped into Asda near my office today and someone had left their receipt in the trolley that I used. Out of devilment I have just put the bar code details in to the APG website and now have a voucher for 5.21! Whilst I wouldn't necessarily go scouring the car park for discarded receipts, it was a happy windfall. I will buy some extra petfood and donate to the local shelter on my next visit.