Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joewise
    • By Joewise 21st Nov 11, 12:36 AM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joewise
    Tesco insulation
    • 21st Nov 11, 12:36 AM
    Tesco insulation 21st Nov 11 at 12:36 AM
    I am looking at the promotion for free cavity wall insulation. I would be interested to know of any one who has had this done through Tesco and their experiences.

I have also heard horror stories of damp problems following insulation, should I be put off?

The house is a 1988 semi-detached that I am looking to have insulated.

Thanks
Page 1
    • keystone
    • By keystone 21st Nov 11, 8:56 AM
    • 10,783 Posts
    • 5,874 Thanks
    keystone
    • 21st Nov 11, 8:56 AM
    • 21st Nov 11, 8:56 AM
    Are you sure that your 1988 property doesn't have it already?

Cheers
    • Joewise
    • By Joewise 21st Nov 11, 9:08 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joewise
    • 21st Nov 11, 9:08 AM
    • 21st Nov 11, 9:08 AM
    Are you sure that your 1988 property doesn't have it already?

Cheers
    Originally posted by keystone
    What is the best way to check this?
    • macman
    • By macman 21st Nov 11, 9:59 AM
    • 40,036 Posts
    • 16,193 Thanks
    macman
    • 21st Nov 11, 9:59 AM
    • 21st Nov 11, 9:59 AM
    Drill a test hole through a mortar joint.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • greenface
    • By greenface 21st Nov 11, 10:31 AM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 2,231 Thanks
    greenface
    • 21st Nov 11, 10:31 AM
    • 21st Nov 11, 10:31 AM
    Drill a test hole through a mortar joint.
    Originally posted by macman
    AND ??????!!!!!!helpful but useless information really. Depending what type of build it is .Many 1988ish buildings have timber frames some types dont have nor need insulation. before drilling a hole in your wall then stand there looking at it . Try turning your eleccy off and taking a plug socket /light switch off and looking through there if you have any internal cills need replacing do it a while your at it look for your cavities and what insulation, drill out a external brick and have a nose or as macman says drill a hole hire a boroscope and check that way. you can call in a expert and get a free estimate assesment and quote to do it, there are grants around atm but a 1988 house should be properly insulated
    North Wales Holiday Home Owner
    • Joewise
    • By Joewise 21st Nov 11, 7:53 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joewise
    • 21st Nov 11, 7:53 PM
    • 21st Nov 11, 7:53 PM
    Thanks for your advice, I really am unsure if it has insulation. When the house was surveyed it was assumed that it was insulated. I may just have them round to inspect.

As for my other request has anyone any experience of insulation through the Tesco stuff?

Thanks
    • Joewise
    • By Joewise 23rd Nov 11, 10:59 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Joewise
    • 23rd Nov 11, 10:59 PM
    • 23rd Nov 11, 10:59 PM
    I guess no one has used them yet then?....
  • floss2
    • 23rd Nov 11, 11:02 PM
    • 23rd Nov 11, 11:02 PM
    We tried last year but the surveyor said our cavities weren't suitable.
  • surfergilbert
    • 24th Nov 11, 4:03 PM
    • 24th Nov 11, 4:03 PM
    The best thing to do is apply, they send out an assessor for free, who will know if your house is suitable, if it is, they drill holes and look in the cavity with a special tool, a bit like a doctor. Our house was built in 92, but didn't have insulation.
    We had ours done by Tesco a couple of years ago and had to pay around £200 for both wall and loft insulation, and has been one of the best things we have done to the house, makes a big difference, and would guess has paid for itself now.
    Tesco used a contractor who were great, and the work was done within a couple of hours.
  • justine68
    surfergilbert, how intrusive is the process?

We had our walls repainted 6 months ago, now thinking about insulation (not great planning, I know) and was wondering what the impact of the insulation process on the paint job was going to be.
    • paddy's mum
    • By paddy's mum 27th Nov 11, 9:05 PM
    • 2,969 Posts
    • 10,518 Thanks
    paddy's mum
    We had it done by a Tesco nominated contractor and had nothing but praise for the standard of work.

My only comment was that when the assessor came round, I told him that I did not want polystyrene pellets as I am petrified of what happens if ever there is a fire - I know it's unlikely to have a fire within a cavity wall but nevertheless ... He simply accepted what I asked and arranged for blown white mineral fibre to be used instead.

I recently had some of the soffits and fascias replaced with upvc and it was reassuring to see that the 'woolly jumper' comes right up to the roof timbers with no gaps. Hope that helps you make a decision.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,131Posts Today

7,031Users online

Martin's Twitter