Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Strapped
    "Complete Savings" scheme
    • 19th Nov 11, 11:39 PM
    "Complete Savings" scheme 19th Nov 11 at 11:39 PM
    I just purchased something from TheHut.com and was then asked whether I wanted to join the "Complete Savings" scheme. I've never heard of them before.

So claim all your Complete Savings benefits... plus get your £15 cash back voucher! To get your £15 cash back voucher just make a purchase at thehut.com in the next 3 months. See full instructions on the next page to redeem your voucher and how to access your site and start saving today! Plus we'll send your Membership Pack email to you at your email address. Try all the benefits for the next 30 days FREE and see how much you save! There's no obligation to continue. If you are completely satisfied, do nothing and you'll be able to enjoy ongoing savings for only £10 a month and of course you have our Guarantee as described in the Offer and Billing Details! Retailers and discounts are updated often, so visit the Complete Savings website regularly to get the most out of your membership. You can save up to £100 every month!
    It also says in the fine print that Complete Savings is owned and operated by the Webloyalty group of companies.

I was briefly tempted to do the sign up and cancel before the 30 days is up, but reading the fine print, it seems a faff to actually claim the cash back (sending off a sales receipt) and so like most cash back schemes, doubtful as to whether you actually get the cash back. So I decided not to risk it, as sometimes these things can be difficult to cancel and enough people already have my card details!

Has anyone else heard of this scheme? Reading t'internet they seem to have some bad press, but it is mostly in the States. Scam? Genuine cashback scheme?

MoneySavingExpert.com insert

Complete Savings is part of the Webloyalty group. See our previous news story that relates to other companies in the group:

Beware costly subscriptions when shopping online
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-02-2017 at 12:12 PM.
    They deem him their worst enemy who tells them the truth. -- Plato
Page 9
    • stemcgoo
    • By stemcgoo 13th Feb 17, 6:16 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    stemcgoo
    I discovered that Complete Savings had taken 9 months at £15 per month out of my account.
    OK I should have spotted it but I didn't. It was hidden among my direct debits no I didn't notice. I had not signed up to them or ticked any boxes and they were using an old email address that I would never have used to order anything. I emailed them last Thursday and threatened them with Trading Standards and/or legal action and received a full refund on Saturday - no questions asked.
    They said it was started with a purchase from Jacamo in June 2016. The only thing I have ever bought from there was in 2015 and I definitely hadn't signed up to anything and I never tick boxes.
    OK I got all my money back because I knew what to do but a lot of unsuspecting people don't realise they can do this.
    Originally posted by Dods
    Dods, You are clearly in denial. Everyone knows how the schemes work, and many people like you sign up, forget, then deny ever signing up. Just because Complete Savings refund you because they CBA with the aggro doesn't make your case stronger.
    For example, your old email you would "never use" - so how did they get it? It's your email? No one else would share this but you? And if you stopped using it yourself then of course you won't be seeing their emails informing you of your membership scheme and deductions....
    • triffski
    • By triffski 22nd Mar 17, 12:08 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    triffski
    Yep, obviously this is a scam, I should've spotted it and I should've read the small print.

After noticing the email from them in my spam folder this morning and then the text at the bottom of it saying they had been charging £15 a month since January, I sent them an email threatening legal action on principle if they didn't refund in full.

The following just arrived:

Thank you for contacting us.

Our records show that your membership was cancelled on 22/03/2017 via our website

Your cancel confirmation number is above.

You are entitled to 3 refunds of £15 for the membership fees you were charged. We have also processed the refund of the initial £1 charged for the first 30 days of subscription. Your refund will be credited to your credit or debit card account within 3 to 5 working days.

Our records show that you or someone with access to your credit/debit card completed an online transaction with Trainline.
    After your transaction, you were offered the opportunity to join the Complete Savings programme with a £20 cash back voucher and the first 30 days for just £1.

Immediately next to the offer, the offer and Billing Details were displayed. By entering your name, postal code, selecting the relevant postal address from the drop down list, inserting your credit or debit card details and then clicking on the 'yes' button to accept the offer, you authorised us to charge the monthly membership fee of £15 to the credit card or debit card that was provided after your trial period ended.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the refund. Irony is I never even used the Trainline offer I signed up for.
    • antimanu
    • By antimanu 26th Apr 17, 4:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    antimanu
    Well as a happy customer of webloyalty, if they need any witnesses in their defence I will happily stand up.to testify that they do indeed provide good value for people who can and do read plain English in the contracts that they sign!
    Originally posted by stemcgoo

I also used them, I've made over £150 with £90 expected next month in cashback on purchases I would have made anyway via Currys, Expedia, Booking.com and Jet2.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 1st May 17, 10:37 PM
    • 348 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    It's not technically a scam. I've signed up to them and a few sister companies. Got the £15 intro, and 2x £10 per month (signed up mid-month) and then cancelled before the end of the trial.

They prey on people forgetting they signed up. They, technically, shouldn't offer refunds in this instance as you did sign up and click "agree" on the T&C...
    • dreggie15
    • By dreggie15 18th May 17, 7:48 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dreggie15
    I have only realised today that Complete Save have been taking £15 a month from my credit card since August 2015. I found it when I was looking for something else. I called them and spoke to a nice lady and it appears that I had signed up after buying something from JD Williams and didn't cancel it!!! I wasn't aware of having it and haven't used any vouchers so I'm hoping to get all my money back. I am usually very wary of these things but I hadn't realised I had signed up for anything. This is something that folk need to be informed of. If you sign up for a trial and don't cancel it the company will keep taking money from your account until you cancel. Something needs to be done about these practices. It should be made illegal to do this over the Internet without them sending letters to your address. If I had got a statement through the post I would have questioned it because I can't remember ever receiving any emails from them.
    • stemcgoo
    • By stemcgoo 19th May 17, 12:09 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    stemcgoo
    I have only realised today that Complete Save have been taking £15 a month from my credit card since August 2015. I found it when I was looking for something else. I called them and spoke to a nice lady and it appears that I had signed up after buying something from JD Williams and didn't cancel it!!! I wasn't aware of having it and haven't used any vouchers so I'm hoping to get all my money back. I am usually very wary of these things but I hadn't realised I had signed up for anything. This is something that folk need to be informed of. If you sign up for a trial and don't cancel it the company will keep taking money from your account until you cancel. Something needs to be done about these practices. It should be made illegal to do this over the Internet without them sending letters to your address. If I had got a statement through the post I would have questioned it because I can't remember ever receiving any emails from them.
    Originally posted by dreggie15
    "if i got a statement through the post...." So going paperless on your credit card bill is their fault?? And they should underwrite your stupidity?
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 13th Jun 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,366 Posts
    • 2,463 Thanks
    LadyDee
    Do the Banks get the money back from the recipient banks after they have refunded the fools who don't check their bank statements regularly, don't check which direct debits they have set up, who tick anything and everything without reading the T&Cs?

If they don't then guess who is subsidising these people. It won't be the shareholders, the company directors with their massive salaries, their dividends, their huge pensions. No, it is the other customers whose little benefits have been gradually eroded, the staff who are made redundant, cuts in services.
    • lovehols
    • By lovehols 27th Jun 17, 1:18 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    lovehols
    My elderly mother just noticed two £15 transactions. Took me being detective and looking at her internet history (thank God she hardly used the computer as she isn't tech savvy) to put the link between her doing her first ever online shop to this company. Mum thought it was actually linked to Debenhams and didn't realise it was a third party. Really poor, emailed a complaint.

Mum now refusing to use computer again, really knocked her confidence. Grrrrr
    • nemo183
    • By nemo183 1st Aug 17, 8:23 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 266 Thanks
    nemo183
    Part of retailers process.
    The cunning thing they do is to make themselves look like part of the retailer's process. I naively thought they were part of Argos when I was swindled. They also failed to give me the immediate discount I was promised.
    • TheCardcan
    • By TheCardcan 3rd Aug 17, 6:02 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    TheCardcan
    I purchased a trainline ticket and seemingly applied for a voucher which I never received nor did I receive any clues regarding what it was about.
    Yes. I was in the process of paying trainline so wasn't surprised at all at having to give my bank details. As for the small print, it is small for very good reasons in that people with less than 20 20 vision want to fend for themselves and yet may not even have seen the small print let alone read it.
    • KeithP
    • By KeithP 3rd Aug 17, 6:13 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 1,554 Thanks
    KeithP
    I purchased a trainline ticket and seemingly applied for a voucher which I never received nor did I receive any clues regarding what it was about.
    Yes. I was in the process of paying trainline so wasn't surprised at all at having to give my bank details. As for the small print, it is small for very good reasons in that people with less than 20 20 vision want to fend for themselves and yet may not even have seen the small print let alone read it.
    Originally posted by TheCardcan
    As an aside, can I suggest you avoid using the trainline and their fees?

All the train operating companies sell exactly the same tickets as the trainline and do not charge a booking fee, nor a credit card fee, and most do not charge for postage either.

You may even find some tickets cheaper on the train operator's website.
    Just because I've written it doesn't mean that
    either you or I have to believe it.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 3rd Aug 17, 6:16 PM
    • 203 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    Originally posted by TheCardcan
    The link is after you pay for your tickets.

If you don't have 20 20 vision you would surely increase the magnification on your screen?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,112Posts Today

7,983Users online

Martin's Twitter