Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 3
    • GreyQueen
    • By GreyQueen 30th Nov 11, 3:45 PM
    • 10,043 Posts
    • 192,110 Thanks
    GreyQueen
    Made soup, with cabbage onion lentils barley chicken stock. Its bland and too cabbagey. What can I chuck in to make it tastier? before teatime tonigh!t
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Peel and dice some tatties and chuck in, cook down til tatties soft, add some milk and whizz with blender. Salt and pepper. Makes it smoother and creamier and should neutralise the cabbagey-ness a touch. HTH.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)

• 7 week wonder
    • By 7 week wonder 30th Nov 11, 3:49 PM
    • 809 Posts
    • 10,973 Thanks
    7 week wonder
    Made soup, with cabbage onion lentils barley chicken stock. Its bland and too cabbagey. What can I chuck in to make it tastier? before teatime tonigh!t
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Have you got any bacon you could chop into v. small bits, then fry and add to the soup?
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 30th Nov 11, 4:00 PM
    • 13,083 Posts
    • 120,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    Got bacon and tatties ready. thankyou both ! IOU xxx
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 30th Nov 11, 6:26 PM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    Is there a list anywhere of all the different challenges? - I keep seeing them in people's signatures and think 'that looks interesting, I'll find out a bit more about that' and then can't actually find the thread?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Ess-six
    Not that I'm aware of. They are spread all across the boards.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • applepad
    • By applepad 3rd Dec 11, 3:21 PM
    • 285 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    applepad
    Yorkshire puddings wanted for tea, but only got SR flour, will it be ok?
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 3rd Dec 11, 5:42 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 2,906 Thanks
    mummyjane
    I would think so, might be a bit fluffier than normal but I am sure they will taste fine
    January Groceries Total £302.92
    • valerie57
    • By valerie57 3rd Dec 11, 8:51 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 1,898 Thanks
    valerie57
    I don't think they will work. For a reason that I don't understand using SR flour for Yorkshires means that they don't rise. I had a complete disaster when I used SR flour by mistake.
    • ms_night_ryder
    • By ms_night_ryder 4th Dec 11, 12:19 PM
    • 2,978 Posts
    • 11,534 Thanks
    ms_night_ryder
    Have 2 questions please oh gurus

Milks sel by date and useby were 3rd dec, want to make a macaroni cheese and a hot fudge chocolate cake, alright to use?

Also, receipe for hot fudge cake says flour but doesnt specify, what shall i use?
    Lose 28lb 3/28lb
    SPC Member 1522/2012-£264/ new pot 2013
    • CCP
    • By CCP 4th Dec 11, 3:17 PM
    • 5,031 Posts
    • 92,249 Thanks
    CCP
    With the milk, I'd go for the sniff and taste test - if it smells OK and tastes OK, then it's probably fine to use. (And I'm very fussy about my milk - if it's even slightly off then it has to go - not very OS of me, I know. )

As far as the fudge cake goes, it's not something I've ever made myself, but a quick G00gle suggests that most recipes use self raising flour, so that seems a good bet.

HTH.
    Recent wins: case of wine; £500 gift card; body gel
    • LazyLizzie
    • By LazyLizzie 9th Dec 11, 10:07 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 151 Thanks
    LazyLizzie
    My fridge was left slightly open last night, and when I woke up this morning, the stuff at the bottom is still cold, but the stuff at the top like sausages, bacon, cheesecakes, cream feels not as cold, a bit warm. There's also two already cooked chickens on the middle shelf that feel warm too.
    Do I have to throw it all away? I don't buy meaty stuff often because I find it super expensive, so I really really don't want to throw it away.
    I think the fridge was open for about 8 hours, maybe a bit more.

At least I've learnt something from this, in future I'm just going to put drinks and things that are okay to go warm at the top of the fridge, and all the important/expensive stuff at the bottom!
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 13th Dec 11, 9:52 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    ^The only thing I worry about is lukewarm meat like that...its one of the only times I throw food away...not even sure if I would give it to the dog. Unfortunate that you have so much in there.

Quick question - Whats the thing called that you put between a pan and the hob, to slow the heat right down...? The one I once had had a wood handle and a metal..round flat area.
    • CCP
    • By CCP 14th Dec 11, 8:55 AM
    • 5,031 Posts
    • 92,249 Thanks
    CCP
    Quick question - Whats the thing called that you put between a pan and the hob, to slow the heat right down...? The one I once had had a wood handle and a metal..round flat area.
    Originally posted by beautiful_ravens
    Do you mean a diffuser? I've never seen one with a handle - the ones I've seen are just metal discs that you put under the pan - but it might be the same sort of thing?
    Recent wins: case of wine; £500 gift card; body gel
    • beautiful_ravens
    • By beautiful_ravens 14th Dec 11, 4:41 PM
    • 574 Posts
    • 2,273 Thanks
    beautiful_ravens
    Thats it! heres one just like my old one
    http://www.kitchenniche.ca/images/heat%20diffuser%20fox%20run%201.jpg
    • SDG31000
    • By SDG31000 15th Dec 11, 8:56 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 12,757 Thanks
    SDG31000
    I want to make parkin today and the recipe I have calls for medium oatmeal. Can I use Tesco value porridge oats? Or should I give them a whizz in the food processor to break them up a bit first? Thank you
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Dec 11, 9:42 AM
    • 13,811 Posts
    • 15,845 Thanks
    squeaky
    I should think a quick whizz would be fine. He sez. Guessing
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 16th Dec 11, 8:59 PM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    I've just bought gingerbread men from a local baker and want to keep them for visitors on Boxing Day. Will this be ok please and if so, what's the best way to store them? (Thinking ahead in case we get snowed in!)
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
    • rosie383
    • By rosie383 17th Dec 11, 10:35 AM
    • 4,617 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    rosie383
    Can you not just freeze them? Mind you, depends on what decoration is on them I suppose.
    Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
    (he points to some plastic cows on the table) are very small; those (pointing at some cows out of the window) are far away...
    • Eenymeeny
    • By Eenymeeny 17th Dec 11, 10:56 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 6,105 Thanks
    Eenymeeny
    Can you not just freeze them? Mind you, depends on what decoration is on them I suppose.
    Originally posted by rosie383
    Thanks Rosie, I wondered about that but they have icing and smartie style sweets on them. They came in one of those paperbags with white paper on one side cellephane on the other. I've folded it over to size and put them into an old ice cream carton. I could put that in the freezer? I was wondering how people who make them for hampers etc manage?
    The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
    Thanks to everyone who contributes to this wonderful forum. I'm very grateful for the guidance and friendliness that I always receive from you.
  • omnom
    Plz help, I'm an absolute moron. I'm making a madeira cake. I was beating the butter and sugar, all good, however I then prematurely added the eggs (from the fridge) after I came in from an errand, I've tried to beat them in but the butter is all clumpy and lumpy and now there are lumps of butter everywhere. Can I save this? Total waste of butter, eggs, etc. otherwise. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edit #1: OK WELL. I decided to risk the microwave and it's not looking too bad (was worried about the eggs). Hopefully it will work out.

Edit #2: Ok well... err... it's not looking so great (why didn't I beat the butter properly, woe!), but you can but try. Not sure why I'm updating this post lol, but yes.

Edit #3: Ok, er. If anyone was wondering how far wrong this experiment could possibly go, I thought I had turned the oven on but the only thing I managed to do is make the kitchen stink of gas. BAD DAY. However, the cake batter looks alright with flour etc. added!
    Last edited by omnom; 18-12-2011 at 1:40 PM.
  • Diflower
    I think I would try adding the flour as well, since for an all-in-one mix it works. The only difference with those is that you use soft tub marg or very softened butter, but if you're using a mixer it might be ok.
    All-in-ones also usually have a little baking powder added so maybe add some.
    Good luck with it, how annoying.

Oh I was too late!
    Last edited by Diflower; 18-12-2011 at 1:26 PM. Reason: too late!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,417Posts Today

6,533Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @PapaSlavs: @MartinSLewis hi, how much per month should I typically charge my daughter board & lodgings now she's left uni and become an?

• RT @EssexHebridean: 13 years, 2 months and 6 days after taking it out, we've just paid the final lump sum off our mortgage. #MortgageFree @?

• Many first time buyers panicked about Help to Buy mortgage guarantee ending, here's my video on what it really mean? https://t.co/uGD6sG4hvl

• Follow Martin