Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See firs... (Page 3)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Quick Questions on ANYTHING Old Style 3 (See first post for links to other threads)
Views: 86,227
# 41
GreyQueen
Old 30-11-2011, 3:45 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha View Post
Made soup, with cabbage onion lentils barley chicken stock. Its bland and too cabbagey. What can I chuck in to make it tastier? before teatime tonigh!t
Peel and dice some tatties and chuck in, cook down til tatties soft, add some milk and whizz with blender. Salt and pepper. Makes it smoother and creamier and should neutralise the cabbagey-ness a touch. HTH.
Our life is frittered away by detail.....simplify, simplify.
Henry David Thoreau

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z
member # 5 Can-do Attitude

Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GreyQueen For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 42
7 week wonder
Old 30-11-2011, 3:49 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha View Post
Made soup, with cabbage onion lentils barley chicken stock. Its bland and too cabbagey. What can I chuck in to make it tastier? before teatime tonigh!t
Have you got any bacon you could chop into v. small bits, then fry and add to the soup?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 7 week wonder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 43
mardatha
Old 30-11-2011, 4:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Got bacon and tatties ready. thankyou both ! IOU xxx
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mardatha For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 44
squeaky
Old 30-11-2011, 6:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ess-six View Post
Is there a list anywhere of all the different challenges? - I keep seeing them in people's signatures and think 'that looks interesting, I'll find out a bit more about that' and then can't actually find the thread?

Thanks
Not that I'm aware of. They are spread all across the boards.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 45
applepad
Old 03-12-2011, 3:21 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yorkshire puddings wanted for tea, but only got SR flour, will it be ok?
The Following User Says Thank You to applepad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 46
mummyjane
Old 03-12-2011, 5:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I would think so, might be a bit fluffier than normal but I am sure they will taste fine
The Following User Says Thank You to mummyjane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 47
valerie57
Old 03-12-2011, 8:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I don't think they will work. For a reason that I don't understand using SR flour for Yorkshires means that they don't rise. I had a complete disaster when I used SR flour by mistake.
The Following User Says Thank You to valerie57 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 48
ms_night_ryder
Old 04-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Have 2 questions please oh gurus

Milks sel by date and useby were 3rd dec, want to make a macaroni cheese and a hot fudge chocolate cake, alright to use?

Also, receipe for hot fudge cake says flour but doesnt specify, what shall i use?
Lose 28lb 3/28lb
SPC Member 1522/2012-264/ new pot 2013
The Following User Says Thank You to ms_night_ryder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 49
CCP
Old 04-12-2011, 3:17 PM

With the milk, I'd go for the sniff and taste test - if it smells OK and tastes OK, then it's probably fine to use. (And I'm very fussy about my milk - if it's even slightly off then it has to go - not very OS of me, I know. )

As far as the fudge cake goes, it's not something I've ever made myself, but a quick G00gle suggests that most recipes use self raising flour, so that seems a good bet.

HTH.
NSDs for 2013: 85. NSDs for 2014: 51
Latest wins - witch hazel stick; salad dressing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCP For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 50
LazyLizzie
Old 09-12-2011, 10:07 AM
MoneySaving Convert

My fridge was left slightly open last night, and when I woke up this morning, the stuff at the bottom is still cold, but the stuff at the top like sausages, bacon, cheesecakes, cream feels not as cold, a bit warm. There's also two already cooked chickens on the middle shelf that feel warm too.
Do I have to throw it all away? I don't buy meaty stuff often because I find it super expensive, so I really really don't want to throw it away.
I think the fridge was open for about 8 hours, maybe a bit more.

At least I've learnt something from this, in future I'm just going to put drinks and things that are okay to go warm at the top of the fridge, and all the important/expensive stuff at the bottom!
The Following User Says Thank You to LazyLizzie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 51
beautiful_ravens
Old 13-12-2011, 9:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

^The only thing I worry about is lukewarm meat like that...its one of the only times I throw food away...not even sure if I would give it to the dog. Unfortunate that you have so much in there.

Quick question - Whats the thing called that you put between a pan and the hob, to slow the heat right down...? The one I once had had a wood handle and a metal..round flat area.
The Following User Says Thank You to beautiful_ravens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 52
CCP
Old 14-12-2011, 8:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beautiful_ravens View Post
Quick question - Whats the thing called that you put between a pan and the hob, to slow the heat right down...? The one I once had had a wood handle and a metal..round flat area.
Do you mean a diffuser? I've never seen one with a handle - the ones I've seen are just metal discs that you put under the pan - but it might be the same sort of thing?
NSDs for 2013: 85. NSDs for 2014: 51
Latest wins - witch hazel stick; salad dressing
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCP For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 53
beautiful_ravens
Old 14-12-2011, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Thats it! heres one just like my old one
http://www.kitchenniche.ca/images/he...%20run%201.jpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beautiful_ravens For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 54
SDG31000
Old 15-12-2011, 8:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I want to make parkin today and the recipe I have calls for medium oatmeal. Can I use Tesco value porridge oats? Or should I give them a whizz in the food processor to break them up a bit first? Thank you
The Following User Says Thank You to SDG31000 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 55
squeaky
Old 15-12-2011, 9:42 AM

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

I should think a quick whizz would be fine. He sez. Guessing
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squeaky For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 56
Eenymeeny
Old 16-12-2011, 8:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I've just bought gingerbread men from a local baker and want to keep them for visitors on Boxing Day. Will this be ok please and if so, what's the best way to store them? (Thinking ahead in case we get snowed in!)
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eenymeeny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 57
rosie383
Old 17-12-2011, 10:35 AM

Can you not just freeze them? Mind you, depends on what decoration is on them I suppose.
March Grocery Challenge 130/ 240
NSD 0

Do not look down upon anybody unless you are helping them up.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosie383 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 58
Eenymeeny
Old 17-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie383 View Post
Can you not just freeze them? Mind you, depends on what decoration is on them I suppose.
Thanks Rosie, I wondered about that but they have icing and smartie style sweets on them. They came in one of those paperbags with white paper on one side cellephane on the other. I've folded it over to size and put them into an old ice cream carton. I could put that in the freezer? I was wondering how people who make them for hampers etc manage?
The beautiful thing about learning is nobody can take it away from you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Eenymeeny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 59
omnom
Old 18-12-2011, 1:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Plz help, I'm an absolute moron. I'm making a madeira cake. I was beating the butter and sugar, all good, however I then prematurely added the eggs (from the fridge) after I came in from an errand, I've tried to beat them in but the butter is all clumpy and lumpy and now there are lumps of butter everywhere. Can I save this? Total waste of butter, eggs, etc. otherwise. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Edit #1: OK WELL. I decided to risk the microwave and it's not looking too bad (was worried about the eggs). Hopefully it will work out.

Edit #2: Ok well... err... it's not looking so great (why didn't I beat the butter properly, woe!), but you can but try. Not sure why I'm updating this post lol, but yes.

Edit #3: Ok, er. If anyone was wondering how far wrong this experiment could possibly go, I thought I had turned the oven on but the only thing I managed to do is make the kitchen stink of gas. BAD DAY. However, the cake batter looks alright with flour etc. added!

Last edited by omnom; 18-12-2011 at 1:40 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to omnom For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 60
Diflower
Old 18-12-2011, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I think I would try adding the flour as well, since for an all-in-one mix it works. The only difference with those is that you use soft tub marg or very softened butter, but if you're using a mixer it might be ok.
All-in-ones also usually have a little baking powder added so maybe add some.
Good luck with it, how annoying.

Oh I was too late!

Last edited by Diflower; 18-12-2011 at 1:26 PM. Reason: too late!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diflower For This Useful Post: Show me >>