IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
What size casserole dishes?
Views: 3,910
# 1
Nicki
Old 12-11-2011, 5:48 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default What size casserole dishes?

We had a little catastrophe in our house this morning, when a child opened a cupboard door and managed to unbalance almost my entire stock of casserole/gratin/serving dishes. I had quite a collection built up over around 25 years, including a set of 5 hob proof pyrex which had been going strong for around 20 years! However, seeing the bright side in all of this, I now have an opportunity to treat myself to some nice new equipment and to declutter that cupboard!

At the moment, we are a family of 5, but would like to extend that to a family of 6. We like to entertain, usually also groups of 4 or 5 in addition to our whole family. I'd rather have something hardwearing and a bit more expensive, than something cheap and cheerful which won't last for long without looking stained and tatty. I also like to bring dishes from oven or hob to table when I can.

My regular crockery is this

http://chinasearch.co.uk/buy/denby/r...ducts%20Search

and my special occasion stuff (also a wedding present) is this

http://www.matchingchina.com/replace...mpression-p576

so I am really looking for something in blue I think. I already have a 22 inch le creuset casserole in blue which I use a lot (and is probably about 15 years old) so would be open to buying more of this.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...ed=0CHoQ8wIwAg#

So, getting to the question, if you were restocking your kitchen in this area completely from scratch for a family of this size, what items would be essential, and what size casserole dishes would you go for?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
rising from the ashes
Old 12-11-2011, 6:01 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

I'm not sure whether to sympathise at them being broken.... or congratulate you for being able to splash out on new ones guilt free.

I have lots of casserole / pyrex / stone (? clay?) dishes too (mainly inherited from both DGM's). I do actually use most of them (as they're there and suit different recipes) but if I had to choose one or two, it would have to be my huge le creuset style (different make) pot and the smaller "proper" le creuset one.

I love the fact that they can go from hob / oven - and I have to say that I use both of them on a very regular basis.

The huge one is fab for batch cooking (or a normal dinner in your house) and the smaller one for risottos etc.

Others I'd really miss / struggle without would be:

round glass dish for crumbles
huge glass dish (was the lid of a casserole set but the bottom got broken!) for lasagnes
Pyrex dish for pasta bakes / corned beef hash etc

HTH

ETA: have a look at John Lew*is website for dinner sets. I love this one but just can't justify them atm http://www.johnlewis.com/62937/Product.aspx (I like plates with sides!)
Starting again - back on the frugal MSE journey
Groceries & Toiletries: Annual 2080
Coin jars ..... starting again having paid for my car tax!

Last edited by rising from the ashes; 12-11-2011 at 6:05 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
PixieDust
Old 12-11-2011, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm no use to you......ours are either cast-offs from me mutha, or P0undland jobbies
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PixieDust For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
rising from the ashes
Old 12-11-2011, 6:12 PM

Not sure where you are ..... but there's a le creuset shop in the York Designer Outlet mall (good excuse for a visit if not too far!)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Nicki
Old 12-11-2011, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising from the ashes View Post
I'm not sure whether to sympathise at them being broken.... or congratulate you for being able to splash out on new ones guilt free.

I have lots of casserole / pyrex / stone (? clay?) dishes too (mainly inherited from both DGM's). I do actually use most of them (as they're there and suit different recipes) but if I had to choose one or two, it would have to be my huge le creuset style (different make) pot and the smaller "proper" le creuset one.

I love the fact that they can go from hob / oven - and I have to say that I use both of them on a very regular basis.

The huge one is fab for batch cooking (or a normal dinner in your house) and the smaller one for risottos etc.

Others I'd really miss / struggle without would be:

round glass dish for crumbles
huge glass dish (was the lid of a casserole set but the bottom got broken!) for lasagnes
Pyrex dish for pasta bakes / corned beef hash etc

HTH

ETA: have a look at John Lew*is website for dinner sets. I love this one but just can't justify them atm http://www.johnlewis.com/62937/Product.aspx (I like plates with sides!)
Oooh! I love that link! Mmmmm could I use those for Christmas I wonder

But, must focus! Your post was really helpful. You are right, I need to think what kind of things I usually cook and then work out what I could make them in, and ideally have as many dual purpose things as I can. How big is your huge le creuset style one out of interest? I'm currently looking at the 29cm one online and wondering whether that would be a good size to get. It claims to hold portions for 6-8 but I can easily get 6 portions out of my 22 cm one, so am a bit confused as to how big it actually is!

I am in London so the travel costs to the outlet store would cancel out the savings I think, but once I know what I want I am happy to shop online for a good deal.

The debris this morning was quite something to see . Once I got over the initial shock, and irritation at having to clear it all up, I could see the funny side. It must have scared the living daylights out of her when she did it! Fortunately she didn't hurt herself, and I can't say I didn't have my time and money's worth out of what got broken.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
hotcookie101
Old 12-11-2011, 6:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I adore le creuset, I use mine all the time My most used is the 24cm one (it is in blue, the slightly graduated colour, but the enamel doesn't seem as long lasting on the edges of the lid compared with previous ones-OH killed my first one by totally overheating it and burning a curry to a crisp) I can make bolognese with 500g mince, lots of tomatoes etc in that one for 6-8 portions. For MAJOR batch cooking (shin of beef stew, 8-10 portions, huge pots of chilli) I have a 28cm one, it is great I also have an heirloom 20cm, that was my mums, and is at least 25 years old (I'm 33 and I remember it clearly from my childhood) and a 30cm shallow (I think they call them buffet)

I have no le creuset stoneware, mine is all white ceramic type dishes, I have a 25x25cm deep dish, and various other small/medium and large ones. I use the square one, and a 20cm oval one, most frequently .The square dish can hold 6 GENEROUS portions of lasagne. I also have 2 pyrex (traditional glass casseroles with lids) a small and a medium, they get used for baking apples and crumbles and things like that

My le creuset, other that the heirloom one, has all been bought from amazon-I keep an eye out for it when it's on offer, I think I paid 70 or 80 for my 28 cm one (RRP is 155 now ) and maybe 85 for the buffet-same RRP!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotcookie101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
rising from the ashes
Old 12-11-2011, 6:30 PM

Just went & dug the measuring tape out .... it's 29cm almost identical to this one - DM brought it back from France for me many, many years ago (after several big hints whenever she got hers out). They've not got a make stamped on them but I know they were a lot cheaper than the "real thing".

It says 6 portions on the link but I def get way more than that out of it (I guess it depends on what you make).

ETA: have attempted to put the link to a word - fingers crossed it works (I've seen loads of people do this but never quite managed to)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rising from the ashes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
hotcookie101
Old 12-11-2011, 6:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
I'm currently looking at the 29cm one online and wondering whether that would be a good size to get. It claims to hold portions for 6-8 but I can easily get 6 portions out of my 22 cm one, so am a bit confused as to how big it actually is!
My 28cm one is 6.7l, and I think the 24 was 4.8l, but the latest one doesn't have the volume printed on the lid.
I have NEVER come close to filling the big one, but I can easily get 12 portions when I make stew in it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotcookie101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
hotcookie101
Old 12-11-2011, 6:35 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rising from the ashes View Post
Just went & dug the measuring tape out .... it's 29cm almost identical to this one - DM brought it back from France for me many, many years ago (after several big hints whenever she got hers out). They've not got a make stamped on them but I know they were a lot cheaper than the "real thing".

It says 6 portions on the link but I def get way more than that out of it (I guess it depends on what you make).

ETA: have attempted to put the link to a word - fingers crossed it works (I've seen loads of people do this but never quite managed to)
That is one of the oval ones, I have never bothered with them, just the round ones, as the hold more for the same amount of cupboard space! Hmm, have I the space/money for a new one? (no is the answer)

Last edited by hotcookie101; 12-11-2011 at 6:38 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hotcookie101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Ben84
Old 12-11-2011, 6:36 PM

Pyrex is pretty cheap now and still really good. Sainsburys often have offers on pyrex, so I'd watch their web site, as well as TK max who often have a good selection. I've also found good condition pyrex frequently in charity shops for very small prices, maybe 1-4 an item. However, I might be more tempted to buy new if I had to replace everything again so that I could get items which fit inside each other and save space.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben84 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Nicki
Old 12-11-2011, 6:43 PM

Am very tempted by the 29cm le creuset I have to say. And possibly to put maybe a 26cm one on my Christmas list for hubby. Added to my existing 22cm one, that should surely cover all the bases. And perhaps I need a small pyrex something for things which I might want to blast in the microwave.

On stoneware type things, I need something suitable for lasagne, cottage pie, chicken pies, etc. Obviously the same thing could do for all of those. I need something smaller to serve vegetables in, or to make veg side dishes like cauliflower cheese, or when I am just cooking for DH and myself if the kids have had a fishfinger night It looks like the le creuset stoneware could come up with something to fit the bill as they seem to do a large one which looks like you could get 8 portions out of it, and a smaller one which looks like you could get 6 out. I could probably also use the smaller dish for things like crumbles.

I haven't even though of an oval one in addition to the round ones. What would be the advantage of that? I guess maybe you could fit a chicken or a joint in an oval one if you were a fan of pot roasts, but I have never done that. Maybe because I didn't have the right size pot though

Can anyone think of anything else which would be useful to have in the collection? I did use to use my large trusty pyrex with a lid to pop popcorn in the microwave. Obviously I can't use a le creuset for that. Anyone got any ideas for an alternative. At the moment, on the recommendations so far I think I can cook

lasagnes, pasta bakes, cottage pies etc
vegetable gratins
stews, chillis, bolognaises
crumbles
toad in the hole

Am I missing something obvious? My mind has turned to cotton wool
The Following User Says Thank You to Nicki For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
rising from the ashes
Old 12-11-2011, 6:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcookie101 View Post
That is one of the oval ones, I have never bothered with them, just the round ones, as the hold more for the same amount of cupboard space! Hmm, have I the space/money for a new one? (no is the answer)
LOL, think I need to start a savings pot for a new one!

The big one's getting a bit hard up - I was having problems with things sticking (had a similar mishap to your OH) but seem to have resolved this atm by wiping the whole inside with a bit of oil before I start to cook.

The outside's chipped in a few places too (my fault!) - however, thinking back I've had it at least 15 years so it's not done too badly (especially not being a "proper" one).

Better start saving now .... 1 / week - I can get a new one in a couple of years!

Nicki - I know I've had around 9/10 portions of something like mince and around 7/8 of chicken casserole out the big one and I've never filled it to the max (as haven't needed to). HTH

# 13
rising from the ashes
Old 12-11-2011, 7:05 PM

Just came across this website - not heard of the make but might be worth some research for the smaller one.

I can get a whole chicken in my big Le C pot - DM always had an oval one which is probably why I got that one!

My stone lasagne dishes are like these (I now have 2 - I keep inheriting things & just can't say no!).

Trying to answer some of your questions:

lasagnes, pasta bakes, cottage pies etc - big pyrex dish
vegetable gratins - big pyrex dish
stews, chillis, bolognaises - Stews etc in the SC or the big Le C pot. Chilli / bolognaise in my saute pan (I'd really miss this too! It's a bit like this one, but also came from France courtesay of DM so it's slightly different)
crumbles - deep glass dish
toad in the hole - I tend to make individual ones in my yorkshire pud tray (it makes big ones!)

HTH

# 14
babyshoes
Old 12-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If you decide you want some pyrex, last time I went into Tesco, they had a good deal on a square baking dish (the size I make lasagne in) with a medium sized round casserole packaged together for a fiver - they would normally cost about that individually. I don't need another square one at the moment, but bought the set as I do need the round one and no doubt will need the square at some point!
Trust me - I'm NOT a doctor!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babyshoes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
msb5262
Old 13-11-2011, 12:21 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hello,
I bought some own-brand Pyrex type dishes in Morrisons recently, including a square dish for lasagne/shepherd's pie etc which was 1.99 so amazing value - I really like square or rectangular dishes for the freezer and for easy storage.
Would also recommend you look in Ikea/supermarkets for enamelled ironware - cheaper than Le Creuset, and just as good.
HTH
MsB
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to msb5262 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
mysk_girl
Old 13-11-2011, 7:38 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Swindon designer outlet also has a Le Creuset shop, which would be a bit closer than York...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysk_girl For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
liz-paul
Old 13-11-2011, 9:19 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm no expert but haven't been that pleased with my le creuset stuff - 2 frying pans have had the non stick stuff come off the bottom and my saucepans aren't faring that well, they are relegated to being spares now. TK maxx can be good for kitchen stuff but you prob won't get a matching set....
1% at a time no. 40. 8000 (For dream family holiday) 43/100
MFW 2013 no. 62 10,000/10,000
MFW 2014 no 62 0/7000
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to liz-paul For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
valk_scot
Old 13-11-2011, 9:28 AM

Oh, another vote for Le Creuset...I had everything for a while, baking dishes, casseroles, kettle and lots of pots. It is heavy though and eventually I gave away all my pots and skillet, but I've kept the two casserole dishes (29 cm and 24cm), the big ovel roasting dish and two rectagular oven dishes for lasagnes and bakes. The real advantage of the iron Le Creuset of course is that you ca use them on the hob as well as in the oven and they cook extremely well at slow temperatures.

If you want to pop popcorn in the microwave, may I suggest a roasting bag that's suitable for microwave use too?
Val.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to valk_scot For This Useful Post: Show me >>