Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 8th Nov 11, 10:54 AM
    • 2,628Posts
    • 16,732Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Lulabelle's MFW Diary
    • 8th Nov 11, 10:54 AM
    Lulabelle's MFW Diary 8th Nov 11 at 10:54 AM
    Last edited by lulabelle1; 10-05-2016 at 12:15 PM.
Page 125
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 19th Jul 17, 1:08 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    New puppy sounds lovely we got two kittens back in april and it's amazing how quickly they become part of the family isn't it

Well done for pushing the £100k barrier- very inspiring I must say!
    Originally posted by Kittenkirst
    Thank you Kitten!

We had two kittens when we got our first house together - they were great fun! And, definitely part of the family. Our last remaining cat passed away earlier this year
    We decided to be pet free for a while, which was nice in lots of ways, but it's lovely to have a pet in the house again.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 19th Jul 17, 2:28 PM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 36,326 Thanks
    CathT
    New decking and puppy sound great. I didn't grow up with animals and neither did DH so we don't feel the need to have a pet but I do realise how wonderful it would be for the children. You'll make lots of fab memories over the Summer.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,967
    part 2 - £46,351
    Total - £126,318
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 24th Jul 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Puppy is settling in well.... I'm not enjoying her waking up at 5am wanting to have a wee and have breakfast! Work in progress.

Happy that the boys have now finished for the Summer holidays, but it has literally pi88ed it down since 3:15 on Friday when they finished. Hopefully it wont continue like this for the next 6 weeks.

CC bill horrendous this month. Can't see next month being much better with it being the school holidays since need to try and find some activities to fill the time. Everything so expensive. Maybe they'll just be content to walk the dog and do some puppy training? Hmmmmmmmm.......

Old school uniform has been recycled, new school uniform has been bought and is now hanging in the wardrobes. School bags all checked and stationery placed where required.

Still need school shoes - but that will wait until one week before they go back as their feet are sure to grow. Will most likely need new football shoes too. DS2's feet just seem to grow so quickly.... he's not quite 8 and his feet are already a size 4! DS1 is is 13 and he's only a 6 - looks like DS2 will be HUGE!

Can't see that any OP's will be made this month - just the usual payment to the NWide 5% Reg saver and that's about it.

Heck - this also reminds me that I need to organise something for DS2's birthday in a couple of weeks. I'm not on the ball at all.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 24th Jul 17, 6:53 PM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 36,326 Thanks
    CathT
    You're super organised for going back to school! I'm encouraging mine to write lists of things they want to do. Am hoping lots of the activities are free but it's very much a work in progress. We are having good weather so am trying to make the most of it.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,967
    part 2 - £46,351
    Total - £126,318
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 25th Jul 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    You're super organised for going back to school! I'm encouraging mine to write lists of things they want to do. Am hoping lots of the activities are free but it's very much a work in progress. We are having good weather so am trying to make the most of it.
    Originally posted by CathT
    Great idea to get them to write a list themselves, think I might pinch your idea if you don't mind!

Enjoy the weather whilst you can, we finally have some sunshine/warmth again today - hurrah!!
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 26th Jul 17, 10:25 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    So, the rain has arrived yet again.

Made the most of the afternoon/evening sunshine - went to a friends for fizz and dinner, just the two of us and sat out in the garden, really lovely evening

DS1 had a friend staying over so DH took them all to watch the new Spiderman film (Meerkat movies!).

The teens are still sleeping in the den downstairs - I suspect they stayed up super late watching horror films (I've decided to go down the route of least resistance when it comes to sleepovers and have learnt its utterly pointless to try and get them to go to sleep at any kind of sensible time as it just results in listening to them chit chat and giggle all night).

DS2 is off on his Rugby training again today (a 3 day course at the local club which happens to be a premiership team). He had a fab day yesterday but talked mainly about which players he had spotted having lunch etc as appose to whether he enjoyed the coaching. He's starting to learn contact today, so he's gone off with his gum shield - fingers crossed we don't have any broken bones.

Taking a friend for lunch today for her birthday - seems a nicer idea than spending money on card and pointless present that she most likely would have no use for.

I'm going through a bit of a declutter phase at the moment - just so fed up of all of the pointless crap that we have. Of course, I recognise that the most important thing is to stop buying more pointless crap, but I'm enjoying decluttering too. I've applied the logic to my birthday/christmas wish list - I always (I don't mean to sound ungrateful) end up with more pointless stuff, that whilst it's usually nice/cute etc, I really have no use/place for - so I've put together a list of things that I'd quite like to receive and a list of things that I really do NOT want to receive and given it to DH.
    "My love to have list" includes things like my favourite perfume/handcream/body lotion, flowers, bubble bath etc and my "please do not get me any" list includes things like cuddly toys, photo frames, ornaments, pink things and other stuff that ends up just being put in a drawer.

He seemed happy with the list

I'd like to try and slowly apply this way of thinking to the children too - especially DS2 who has far too much plastic stuff. I'm sure a gift of a zoo trip or a meal at his favourite place would provide a nicer experience that more plastic rubbish that will be put in the cupboard and never played with again.
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 28th Jul 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Lovely few hours yesterday - DS2 had his last Rugby coaching session, we went along to watch him play a game for the last hour and then watch the presentations. I got to see the actual team training on the pitch next to DS2 and half of them were semi naked with their tops removed, in the rain! Nice. DS2 got a lovely picture with one of the main players as we were heading to the car to leave - made his day. Lovely experience overall and worth the money.

Managed to catch up with work this morning and off to the Farm shortly with DS2 to meet a friend for a few hours. DS1 still sleeping - joys of being a teenager.

Hope the rain holds off for a few hours, don't fancy getting totally soaked again today.

Meatball pasta for dinner, yum.

Currently toying with holiday plans for next year... made all the more complicated as our close friends may be getting married in Mexico. Not really a holiday that i would choose myself, especially not in August and especially not with two children. DS1 can only really go in the pool for an hour at a time (due to his diabetes pump & sensor - they'll fall off if he stays in longer) and not really sure what else there is to do at an all inclusive in Mexico. I don't want to let our friends down, especially as I've been asked to be a bridesmaid. I don't think anyone else is going either. There's also a chance that they may change their mind and get married here, so I'm a bit torn as to what to do for the best really. We'd thought about possiblly going to Florida for a few weeks (again not ideal in August) and then going over to Mexico for a few days just for the wedding, but that will cost even more.

Answers on the back of a postcard please (Or just post here, lol!!!)
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 28th Jul 17, 2:38 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 33,931 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    Whereabouts in Mexico? The Yucatan peninsula?

The Mayan ruins are fabulous. We visited Uxmal, Ek Balam and Telum but decided to give Chichen Itza a miss due to the crowds of tourists.

Swimming in the XCanche cenote near Ek Balam was an amazing experience that I'll never forget
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~£42,000
    Current total overpayments: ~£116,250
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 31st Jul 17, 11:15 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Whereabouts in Mexico? The Yucatan peninsula?

The Mayan ruins are fabulous. We visited Uxmal, Ek Balam and Telum but decided to give Chichen Itza a miss due to the crowds of tourists.

Swimming in the XCanche cenote near Ek Balam was an amazing experience that I'll never forget
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    I think so.... Riviera Maya? Same thing I guess? All of that sounds interesting enough for DH and I but I can just see the boys miserable yaps when I tell them we're off to explore ancient ruins in the sweltering August heat/humidity
    • muddywhitechicken
    • By muddywhitechicken 31st Jul 17, 1:14 PM
    • 3,704 Posts
    • 33,931 Thanks
    muddywhitechicken
    I think so.... Riviera Maya? Same thing I guess? All of that sounds interesting enough for DH and I but I can just see the boys miserable yaps when I tell them we're off to explore ancient ruins in the sweltering August heat/humidity
    Originally posted by lulabelle1
    You can climb the ruins at Uxmal and Ek Balam - would that make it more appealing?!
    Mortgage at highest (April 2008): ~£195,000
    Outstanding balance: ~£42,000
    Current total overpayments: ~£116,250
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 10th Aug 17, 11:48 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    You can climb the ruins at Uxmal and Ek Balam - would that make it more appealing?!
    Originally posted by muddywhitechicken
    Not really, but thanks for the suggestions

So, the o/s mortgage has just dropped below the 100k mark by a few pounds, hopefully interest for the rest of the month doesn't pop it over again.

The weather has been rotten, DS2 has been at football club this week with a friend as they've been climbing the walls.

DS1 has coped nicely as he likes noting more than getting wet and muddy, assuming he leaves the house/his electricals. He's off diving this aft with a friend whilst DH does a repair to the B2L.

I've made use of some quiet time this last week to start some major de-cluttering. I've recycled loads, the charity shop have had a major haul and I've made a few hundred quid on ebay - which sadly just pays for this weeks dentist bill.

I'm currently having all of my fillings replaced with white ones - not just cosmetic as unfortunately there was decay around the old fillings that needed to be sorted. So far I'm thrilled with the results, eating is much better, no more funny niggles, aches and pains and to see less dark fillings each time I visit my dentist is fab. Shame it costs so much

I'll have to see whether I can be brave and sell more stuff to help fund it.

The kitchen has been completely de-cluttered as has my office, bedroom, den, lounge, bathrooms and DS1's bedroom. The worse is still to come - that's DS2's bedroom and the loft. Both will wait until DS2 is back at school. Those with children will understand why! I've read articles about teaching children the value of decluttering, giving unused toys to those in need, just choosing a few toys to play with etc and all that good stuff, but the reality is that DS2 will not be impressed whatsoever and will not be generous about giving to those who would appreciate them. He's a hoarder.... I struggle to get him to part with empty crisp packets, so unused toys would just result in weeks of crying at bedtime about how much he misses said items that hadn't seen the light of day for month/years. So, I shall still with my plan to de-clutter in secret when it comes to his room and the loft.

I'm being totally ruthless with it all and it feels great. The house looks fresher and cupboards, drawers etc are not full - things are easy to see/find/access - its wonderful.

Having the pup around has also been incredible for helping focus on whats important - we've had lots of family walks, couples walks etc etc and I haven't been shopping (or internet shopping) for weeks. Who knew.
    • CathT
    • By CathT 10th Aug 17, 11:57 AM
    • 5,286 Posts
    • 36,326 Thanks
    CathT
    My two have been at football club all week aswell and have loved it. Missed having them around though!

I remember de-cluttering some of dd toys and her being distraught at seeing a toy in the charity bag announcing it was her favourite toy! She had never bothered with it! Lesson learned that day.
    August 2017 -
    part 1 - £79,967
    part 2 - £46,351
    Total - £126,318
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 10th Aug 17, 12:24 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    My two have been at football club all week aswell and have loved it. Missed having them around though!

I remember de-cluttering some of dd toys and her being distraught at seeing a toy in the charity bag announcing it was her favourite toy! She had never bothered with it! Lesson learned that day.
    Originally posted by CathT
    Yes, sometimes better to be sneaky and do it whilst they aren't around - thats definitely my plan.

DS2 has loved football club too which is a surprise as he's not really a big football fan. He's been coming home exhausted and even had an early night last night, result!
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 14th Aug 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Monday again....

Lots more decluttering over the weekend and managed to get through DS2's Expedit drawers and wardrobe this morning. Have dropped another 4 large bags at the charity shop and the wheelie bins are filling up nicely. Thank goodness its recycling day tomorrow.

Really can't wait to start on the loft.....

Damned interest rates - mortgage is tipping the 100k mark again. It'll be over it again by the first of the month

Spent my lunch break today having DH and DS1 poke fun at me about slowly emptying the house. They don't share the same decluttering enjoyment as me and have no idea why I get such a thrill out of getting rid of stuff that is no longer used/needed.

August seems to be spendy keeping everyone amused. And that's without me doing any shopping!
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 17th Aug 17, 4:57 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Lovely unexpected sunny day today.... been fairly lazy as we had a full on long fab day out yesterday, so we're all a bit tired, including the Dog who slept in until 08:45!

Nipped out to return school shoes to Next, ordered two pairs, kept one. Just need to get DS2 some school shoes now - waiting until the last minute though as he seems to grow daily at the moment.

Rejigged my wardrobe earlier... for the first time since we bought our own home I have all of my clothes & shoes in my own wardrobe. Until recently they were spread across my own wardrobe, DS1's, DS2's, huge amounts under DS1's bed. After a LOT of charity runs, donations to family/friends and a little bit of eBaying it's all gone. Feeling really quite happy withe myself.

My fave store launched it's new season on Tuesday along with a 10% discount code. I'd usually have ordered a few things... instead I've just added them to my wish list. I looked at my wish list again earlier and removed half of the things I'd added. I'll see how long I can last before ordering.

We've booked a week away in Cornwall for next May half term. Booked early as it gets booked up fairly quickly. It was recommended to me by a friend, reasonably priced and looks really lovely. So, deposit paid earlier.

I'm avidly reading loads of blogs, websites etc etc about minimalism and focusing on whats important and I'm really enjoyment. This is what got me kick started with the whole decluttering. It feels fab and is very therapeutic.
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 30th Aug 17, 2:07 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Only a week left of school holidays...

DS2's birthday last week - did Legoland with Tesco vouchers and cash - worked out just under £100 for the 4 of us with parking. Don't think we'll ever go again. It's a nice enough place but it it gets far too busy and the rides are mediocre at best and not really worth q'ing for. We hardly did any.

Had two teeth out last Monday (overcrowding) and had my braces fitted last Thursday. Haven't really eaten all that much ever since as it's uncomfortable and virtually impossible. So, I imagine we'll save some money on eating out for the next year!

pooch is still growing - this some of Georges Marvellous Medicine has been mixed in with her food.

Boys all sorted for back to school - nothing left to buy. Phew.

Mortgage is well over the 100k mark again thanks to the daily interest charges, but after September 1sts payment we should see it stay under the 100 mark.

Haven't bought anything apart from what the boys needed for school. Quite a remarkable break through really, but then again, with the dentist bills, spending & buying non essentials isn't really an option.
    • lulabelle1
    • By lulabelle1 13th Sep 17, 4:11 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 16,732 Thanks
    lulabelle1
    Wow - mid Sept already and it's feeling very Autumnal.

I transferred some saves to the mortgage, so it's now down to £95,500. And, I've slightly increased my SIPP contributions.

It's been a bit tight this month with the dentist bills... but, I'm nearly there. Just one filling left to replace, the brace is on - so it'll "just" be the wire changes that I need to pay for every 6/8 weeks or so.

We made a final decision on the wedding in Mexico next year and decided we wont be going. We looked at various options but it was just working out to be too expensive. We had a big holiday at Easter and quite simply can't afford to do another next year... so we've booked a week in Cornwall for Aug next year and the boys are really looking forward to it. We'll take the dog with us too which will be great.

Amazingly enough I've still not bought any new clothes etc.... BUT I did buy some skincare products. I was recommended a newish brand called "The Ordinary" - their ingredients appear to be top notch but due to their unique approach, the prices are fairly rock bottom - especially when comparing their products to premium beauty brands. I've been pleased with the products I've tried in the last few weeks and the pricing is amazing, I'd recommend if people are looking for quality skincare ingredients without the price tag. Word of warning, you may need a chemistry degree to understand what you're buying!

With the Autumnal weather I've started switching my wardrobe over... so, Summer stuff has mostly been packed in to the plastic box in my wardrobe and some warmer jumpers have made an appearance in their place.

I've looked through and listed everything I've got and tbh I think I'm pretty much covered for the Autumn/Winter seasons - the only things I'm possibly considering adding are a Grey Cardigan and a casual black loose fit jumper - both of which would be very versatile and see a lot of wear over the next 6 months. I'd been tempted by a rather gorgeous "custard" yellow jumper and whilst I think I'd love it - I'm not convinced as to how versatile it would be?

Menu planning continues along with the weekly Aldi/Tesco shop. I don't remember the last time we had a takeaway, but I think we might need to have one soon as a treat - our fave is Thai, yummy.
    • Secret Saving Squirrel
    • By Secret Saving Squirrel 15th Sep 17, 4:46 PM
    • 3,865 Posts
    • 35,838 Thanks
    Secret Saving Squirrel
    You are so well organised, well done on sorting out the wardrobe. You have inspired me to go through mine. And well done on saying no to Mexico. It is easy to feel you have to do things like this to please friends, but it is their decision to marry abroad and if it doesn't work for you, you shouldn't feel obliged.
    And well done on decluttering. I love it too and regularly go around the house and fill a bag, even when it looks as if there is nothing left to throw! It does also make you very resistant to buying more stuff.
    Paid off mortgage nine years early in 2013. Now picking and choosing our work to fit in with the rest of our lives!
    Still thrifty though, after all these years
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

23Posts Today

3,671Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin