IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Calculating CSA amounts
Closed Thread
Views: 1,492
# 1
xoAmyox
Old 01-11-2011, 3:23 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Calculating CSA amounts

Hi all,

Please could you let me know if CSA is calculated on pre-tax or after-tax pay?

I've worked out that the amount i'm getting, compared to the hours my son's dad works, mean that he would effectively earn less than minimum wage. I've tried to explain this to the CSA, but they refused to look again at the calculations.

Any advice appreciated!
# 2
HappyMJ
Old 01-11-2011, 3:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

After tax pay. Someone on minimum wages for 37.5 hours per week and no children living with them would pay 30,40 or 50 depending on number of children. Then that is reduced by the number of nights they have the children by 1/7th for each night per week.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
xoAmyox
Old 01-11-2011, 3:35 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMJ View Post
After tax pay. Someone on minimum wages for 37.5 hours per week and no children living with them would pay 30,40 or 50 depending on number of children. Then that is reduced by the number of nights they have the children by 1/7th for each night per week.

Could you please let me know the approximate amount payable for someone on 32.5hrs per week at the NMW (6.08p/h bracket)?

TIA
# 4
HappyMJ
Old 01-11-2011, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoAmyox View Post
Could you please let me know the approximate amount payable for someone on 32.5hrs per week at the NMW (6.08p/h bracket)?

TIA
BTW I'm assuming CSA2. He would earn about 180 after tax.

Edit: kfb is right it's 5 for the first 100 earnt then a percentage of the difference up to 200. 25%, 35% or 45%.
So 25, 33 or 39 for 1, 2 or 3+ kids. If he has children in the house then it's reduced further.

Last edited by HappyMJ; 01-11-2011 at 4:18 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to HappyMJ For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
kingfisherblue
Old 01-11-2011, 3:46 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

If the take home pay is less than 200 a week, the calculation is slightly different, but I'm not sure how it is worked out. I know that this happened with my ex, whose net pay was 192 a week. The amounts aren't vastly different, but the amount paid as maintenance is slightly less than the standard 15%, 20% or 25%.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingfisherblue For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
xoAmyox
Old 02-11-2011, 9:44 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Could you tell me more about the rules for earning less than 200 p/w?

Would any tax credits/benefits etc that he gets be added to the calculation as income?
# 7
PreludeForTimeFeelers
Old 02-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

If he is on tax credits then this should be taken into account as income, make sure that you tell the Csa you believe he is receiving them.
The Following User Says Thank You to PreludeForTimeFeelers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
xoAmyox
Old 02-11-2011, 2:40 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I can only assume that he gets tax credits as he's over 25 and obviously a low earner, do I have to prove this to the CSA?
# 9
PreludeForTimeFeelers
Old 02-11-2011, 5:41 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
I can only assume that he gets tax credits as he's over 25 and obviously a low earner, do I have to prove this to the CSA?
It seems to be a bit of a grey area - if he is asked directly by the CSA then he has to tell them the truth, or face a fine of up to 1000. If he's working fulltime and claims to be earning under 200 per week then he may be on tax credits, or may not be, all you can do is ask them and then see if they contact him to investigate further.
The Following User Says Thank You to PreludeForTimeFeelers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
xoAmyox
Old 03-11-2011, 8:43 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I spoke to the CSA, they said they'd ask him, but if he says he's not claiming tax credits then they have to believe him?!

That sounds mad to me, he's on a really low wage, there's no way he's living off just that when he's flashing his new phone, new trainers etc at family birthday parties.

Is there anything more I can do?
# 11
Marisco
Old 03-11-2011, 9:01 AM

Quote:
I spoke to the CSA, they said they'd ask him, but if he says he's not claiming tax credits then they have to believe him?!

That sounds mad to me, he's on a really low wage, there's no way he's living off just that when he's flashing his new phone, new trainers etc at family birthday parties.

Is there anything more I can do?
What more do you want to do?? You say in your first post, that you think the ex is living on less than NMW, so what do you want, to take even more off him? As for the phone etc, he could have got those on CC's or "buy now, pay whenever". How much does he pay now, and is it regular, or has he/is he trying to squirm out of paying?
# 12
xoAmyox
Old 03-11-2011, 10:26 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I get 20 a week currently, but after several years of only 5 a week I feel that he should be contributing more. I know full well he doesn't work full-time so he can get away with paying me less.

He has a new partner (don't know if she works), and he's very adept at getting what he wants out of people so he'll survive.
# 13
Marisco
Old 03-11-2011, 2:09 PM

If it's on CSA 2, then it's irrelevant what his partner earns. She probably pays for his phone etc. The "going" rate on CSA 2 is 15% of his income. If they have a child, he'll have a bit knocked off, and if they get CTC that will be added onto his income for CM purposes. If he was only paying 5 previously, then he was probably unemployed, that is the "going" rate for those out of work.
# 14
xoAmyox
Old 03-11-2011, 3:08 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You say if they have a child, does it make any difference if it is their child, or a child from outside of their relationship? Does the child have to live there, or does it make a difference if they only stay part of the week?

I think that they probably have joint tax credits, so how is the calculation worked out then?
# 15
fannyanna
Old 03-11-2011, 3:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
You say if they have a child, does it make any difference if it is their child, or a child from outside of their relationship? Does the child have to live there, or does it make a difference if they only stay part of the week?

I think that they probably have joint tax credits, so how is the calculation worked out then?
It's any resident child. So even if it's not biologically his your CSA will be effected.

Which (even as an NRPP) is completely wrong in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to fannyanna For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Marisco
Old 03-11-2011, 6:40 PM

Quote:

If the child is the partners, and lives with your ex and her, then that will affect your CSA. If the child only has access visits, then that will not count, as it's the parent the child lives with that will be claiming CTC, not your ex and his partner. If they claim WTC, then if he earns the most, all WTC will be taken into account, if they earn the same, then half will be included as income, but if she earns more than him, then WTC will not be taken into account at all.
Closed Thread