IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
kia sedona (le)
Closed Thread
Views: 2,793
# 1
TokochickUK
Old 23-01-2007, 1:50 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Question kia sedona (le)

anybody have one or know of how they drive? mechanics? problems? we are looking at 7 seater was thinking maybe the sharan but having beenalong to a place we both fell in love with the looks inside and out of the sedona le i did have a look on honest john as of yet we are not 100% what yr we will be looking at but we have a budget of 9000 any info would be great x
# 2
philhuff
Old 23-01-2007, 2:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

In driving terms, they're the very definition of bland. That's not a criticism, as I doubt you want a people carrier to hurl it round as if you're at Brands Hatch. It's predictable and comfortable.

It's perhaps a bit noisy, but that's a bit relative to what you're used to. There's no significant mechanical gremlins, but the car has been recalled a few times by the manufacturers so make sure the jobs have been done.

Safety wise, the car scored just two stars out of five in the EuroNCAP tests.

£9k will get you into any post-facelift model, and that's important, as they changed the engines then. If you want main dealer backup, you'll probably just scrape a 2003 model, or go independent and maybe just get hold of a 2004 model.
The Following User Says Thank You to philhuff For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Quinny
Old 23-01-2007, 9:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My best friend and neighbour has one.It's 2000 on an X

They have the 2.9 Mercedes diesel engine in them,in diesel form of course,and while there are better looking cars on the market,in the same mold,they are quite a roomy car.

However.He has just had to replace the steering rack,and the temp sender,and also one of the heater pipes,that takes heat into the rear passenger area of the car.He got a local garage to do it,and it came to £200 all in,using genuine KIA bits,which I didn't think was bad.

On a different note,I saw an old Sky programme last week,with Mike Brewer in, (Not Deals on Wheels,but another one he does.) and former Jam drummer Rik Butler was looking for a decent size people carrier,to cart all his bands gear,and the band around to gigs,and after trying the Peugeot 807 and the VW Sharan,he then test drove the KIA,and went onto buy it!!!!

I have to say though,for a £9k budget,you are really going to be spoilt for choice in what you buy,so have a good look around at other brands first,and then decide,becasue there are plenty to choose from.

And bear in mind the Sharan shares the same platform as the Ford Galaxy and the Seat Alhambra,so if you like the Sharan,then your pound will probably go further with the Alhambra.

Ken.

Last edited by Quinny; 23-01-2007 at 9:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Quinny For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
rdwarr
Old 23-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

I used to have a Toyota Estima. Much roomier than the Sedona due to not having all that wasted space with a bonnet sticking out the front Previas are similar but not as well-specced per pound.
Having said that, one of my local taxi firms swear by them. Don't buy if you're going to resell as depreciation is steep, otherwise they can be bargains.
As hinted above, a Sharan is an Alhambra with a £2000 badge on it.
Can I help?
The Following User Says Thank You to rdwarr For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
highguyuk
Old 24-01-2007, 9:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to highguyuk Send a message via MSN to highguyuk

I had a Sedona sent to be as a hire car, there were 2 of us(!), and found it "alright". lol.

It was comfortable to drive, and I felt the driving control arrangements good. (Indicators on the right hand side stalk). However, I drove the Automatic (the only Automatic I have ever driven) and found it to be dangerous! No power when I wanted it and gears changes were terrible!
-highguyuk-

The Following User Says Thank You to highguyuk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
TokochickUK
Old 25-01-2007, 5:10 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

thanks peeps, i have yet to take one for a test drive hoping to arrange it for this weekend. Its the manual im looking at, and it will be doing a few miles, im not looking to resell for a number of yrs if at all, as 5 of us without any extras then when the boys start school for friends. lol, it will no doubt get taken round a few of the circuits but not flat out (shame) thanks x
# 7
rdwarr
Old 25-01-2007, 7:58 PM

Just noticed that D C Cook are selling "nearly new" (06 reg) Sedonas for £7,999 + VAT (£9399). That HAS to be a bargain if you've decided this is the car for you.
http://www.dccookdirect.com/
Can I help?
# 8
Crabman
Old 25-01-2007, 8:04 PM

For reviews check www.honestjohn.co.uk and www.topgear.com

Honest John has a "Car by car breakdown" list where he logs all known problems with vehicles and any maintenance issues which may arise.

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings & Investments, ISAs & Tax-free Savings, Public Transport & Cycling, Motoring and Parking Fines, Tickets & Parking Boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly & I can move & merge posts there. Board Guides are not moderators & don't read every post. If you spot a contentious or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

# 9
MarkyMarkD
Old 25-01-2007, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdwarr
Just noticed that D C Cook are selling "nearly new" (06 reg) Sedonas for 7,999 + VAT (9399). That HAS to be a bargain if you've decided this is the car for you.
http://www.dccookdirect.com/
I don't see them on their website. You are right that this is a tremendous bargain, if there are some available.
# 10
shown73
Old 03-02-2007, 12:20 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Only trouble with "Honest John," if you read the reveiws you would never buy another car! Talk about gloomy! He's right, of course, but doesn't give the proportions of owners who suffer the problems, IMHO. There's a lot of luck involved, especially with second hand. Friend of mine had a Sedona as taxi. Broke down once with fuel pump, bummer, but otherwise brilliant over quite a high mileage, 100,000 plus. When you first see it, you wonder why anyone would buy anything so gross looking, then you take a closer look, and it becomes clear. You could do worse....
Closed Thread