IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Are Ugg boots still fashionable?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,906
# 1
zaksmum
Old 26-10-2011, 9:20 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Are Ugg boots still fashionable?

I want to make a start on my Christmas shopping and I'm wondering whether Ugg boots are still fashionable now?

I want to get a pair for my daughter in law - I got her some last year and the year before and she was delighted with them. Last year she said it's impossible to have too many pairs of Ugg boots.

She's late 30s but very fashion conscious with a lovely figure and a job she enjoys, so please can someone with a bit of fashion knowledge advise me if getting her another pair this year will be taking the Ugg thing too far?

Thanks
# 2
OrkneyStar
Old 26-10-2011, 9:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaksmum View Post
I want to make a start on my Christmas shopping and I'm wondering whether Ugg boots are still fashionable now?

I want to get a pair for my daughter in law - I got her some last year and the year before and she was delighted with them. Last year she said it's impossible to have too many pairs of Ugg boots.

She's late 30s but very fashion conscious with a lovely figure and a job she enjoys, so please can someone with a bit of fashion knowledge advise me if getting her another pair this year will be taking the Ugg thing too far?

Thanks
Personally I don't like them, but have seen lots of people (perhaps slightly younger than your SIL) wearing them, so I would say they are still a sought after item.
And if our God is for us then who can stand against?
The Following User Says Thank You to OrkneyStar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Lotus-eater
Old 26-10-2011, 9:25 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Whether they are fashionable or not (and I have no idea) it would be better in my mind, to get her something else this year. Buying the same thing twice smacks of lazyness tbh.
Just my pence worth.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lotus-eater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
sharronej
Old 26-10-2011, 9:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'd maybe stick with the Ugg brand but go for another item - the have quite a range of products out now.
LBM 45k Oct 10 Oct 2012 36k including Mortgage May 2013 still 36K

Grocery Challenge wk 1 65/70 wk 2
Jan 191.07/350

My thought for the day - if you're in a hole just stop digging!
# 5
Any
Old 26-10-2011, 10:00 AM

Fashionable??
Well, that is a question of the century..... They are like marmite. People either love them, or they hate them.
Question is, does your DIL still admires them and wants them? Can't you ask your son?

It is true that Ugg now have much wider range, even my sister has ones, thought you wouldn't know it at first look - they are not that cheap looking carp that every chav wants and destroys by not walking in them properly (or buys fake) but still wears them (and in summer with shorts), they are actually very good quality leather boots that keep you lovely and warm.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Any For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Person_one
Old 26-10-2011, 10:03 AM

Well the Ugg store near me always has about 5 women peering the window, so I think you're ok! They do seem to have much more variety now as well, some of them you can't even tell they're Uggs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Mrs Moore To Be
Old 26-10-2011, 10:06 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Im 30 and LOVE mine

Wish my MIL would buy me some. Way too expensive though! Your DIL is very lucky!!
Got Married on 30/4/11
Joined SW 12/7/12...
-4.5, -3 (1/2 Stone award), STS, -1.5, STS, -2 (SOTW)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Moore To Be For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Lunar Eclipse
Old 26-10-2011, 10:09 AM

I would say yes, they're still fashionable.

It's very generous of you to buy her such an expensive present; I'm just wondering though whether two pairs is enough (despite her comment about never having too many) and if it's time to buy her something else. Jo Malone gift set?
Mortgage Jan 2004 - 252k / Jan 2008 - 207k / April 08 - 150k / May 08 - 115k / July 08 - 114k / Sept 08 - 110k / Dec 08 - 107k / 2009 - 117k / Dec 09 - 115k
The Following User Says Thank You to Lunar Eclipse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
Lucy1973
Old 26-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Eclipse View Post
I would say yes, they're still fashionable.

It's very generous of you to buy her such an expensive present; I'm just wondering though whether two pairs is enough (despite her comment about never having too many) and if it's time to buy her something else. Jo Malone gift set?
Jo Malone stuff is lovely.
Agree with the others when they say maybe 2 pairs are enough. You can buy Ugg bags now and others accesories like sheepskin gloves,hats and scarfs etc
Baby girl born 27/2/12

R.I.P Michael Joseph Jackson. Gone too soon
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lucy1973 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Lotus-eater
Old 26-10-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post
some of them you can't even tell they're Uggs.
I thought the whole point with uggs, is that you have a brand name and you can go "look I've got Uggs!"

Not that I understand that whole name/brand thing, but I know alot of people do.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lotus-eater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
skintchick
Old 26-10-2011, 10:23 AM

Send a message via MSN to skintchick

My 'Uggs' are from Celtic Sheepskin. Cheaper and made in the UK.

OP - unless she has said she wants another pair I'd probably get something else. I'm not sure I'd have a use for two pairs. I actually find mine so warm I can only wear them when it is freezing as they make me overheat otherwise!
DFW Nerd Club member 023...DFD 9.2.2007
married 21 6 08 Angel babies' birth dates 3.10.08 * 4.3.11 * 11.11.11 * 17.3.12 * 2.7.12 My live baby's birth date 22 7 09 I'm due another baby at the end of July 2014!
The Following User Says Thank You to skintchick For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
scooby088
Old 26-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Beware though there are alot of scammers selling them on facebook and other sites, best bet is to buy them from a shop in the high street.
The Following User Says Thank You to scooby088 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
skylight
Old 26-10-2011, 10:31 AM

If she loves Uggs, wears Uggs and wants Uggs, then whats wrong in buying her another pair? Check with your son first that she still has the whole "love them more than anything" thing going on though.

I love Radley handbags - Mum got me one last year and is getting me another this year. I love them, use them and want them - plus getting new seasons versions that I don't have to fork out for myself is a bonus!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to skylight For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
sock-knitter
Old 26-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

i'm 40 and love my ugg boots, i have very bad circulation, and have freezin cold feet, and these are so lovely warm, and comfortable
i have 3 pairs in different colours
also love radley handbags, and a girl can never have too many of them
loves to knit and crochet for others
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sock-knitter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Cherry_Bomb
Old 26-10-2011, 10:51 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

You're DIL is so right, you can NEVER have too many Uggs

The Triple Button Bailey Uggs are very 'in' at the mo. They are probably the most pricey but they are gorgeous and so so comfortable. IMO definitely worth the money

Can you be my MIL please??
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cherry_Bomb For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Lunar Eclipse
Old 26-10-2011, 10:58 AM

Came back on here to see what other people's thoughts were. I find brands like Ugg interesting. It seems that the people who really want to wear them, can't afford to buy them.

I've just turned 40, none of my friends wear them. My 11 year old daughter wanted some until she tried them on this week and decided that whilst comfy, they felt like boats on her feet (which are skinny) and looked ugly. Obviously I was a tad relieved, since they're 140. Everyone I know (in real life) who really loves them are teenagers, who can't afford them, so wear fakes. Most of the people I see wearing them, are in their 30's, because they can afford them. I find that quite interesting. I don't understand why they are so expensive; they certainly don't look expensive or any better made (although the wool inside is softer) than other brands, such as Rocket Dog, Ewe, Sketchers etc.
Mortgage Jan 2004 - 252k / Jan 2008 - 207k / April 08 - 150k / May 08 - 115k / July 08 - 114k / Sept 08 - 110k / Dec 08 - 107k / 2009 - 117k / Dec 09 - 115k
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lunar Eclipse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Person_one
Old 26-10-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus-eater View Post
I thought the whole point with uggs, is that you have a brand name and you can go "look I've got Uggs!"

Not that I understand that whole name/brand thing, but I know alot of people do.

I'm a bit odd, I believe they're actually very warm and comfortable but I wouldn't ever wear them because I don't want people to think I've bought into the name!

However, if they were just a pair of good quality warm, long lasting boots at a reasonable price that weren't instantly recognisable as 'Ugg' then I'd be more tempted!

The original style did look like you were wearing your slippers around town though, and they looked horrible with tidemarks on them from walking round in winter.

EDIT, I've just been on the website and seen the prices, think I'll stick to Millets!

Last edited by Person_one; 26-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Person_one For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Threebabes
Old 26-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

What a lovely MIL you are. I don't wear uggs but my two girls have them 7 and 11, they look lovely. I do think 2 pairs is enough and someone mentioned jo malone gift set, etc I would maybe go for something different this year.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Threebabes For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
lady1964
Old 26-10-2011, 12:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I'm 47 & DH bought me my Uggs 2 years ago for Xmas and they're great, I've got the Kensington 'biker' ones, which were expensive at 250 but I too suffer from cold feet and they keep my feet so toasty warm.
I saw a really lovely pair of Uggs in Office at Westfield a couple of weeks ago, they aren't the traditional suede ones, more like hard leather that would look great with jeans, I think they were about 180, very tempted to buy a pair, perhaps another Xmas present!
Ugg also do some lovely slippers, around 70-90 a pair if she likes slippers or what about gloves or a bag?
I'd go to an Ugg shop and look at their selection.
I don't know where you live but Bicester Village has an Ugg shop and you'd be looking at upwards of 30% off...
The Following User Says Thank You to lady1964 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
Any
Old 26-10-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Person_one View Post
I'm a bit odd, I believe they're actually very warm and comfortable but I wouldn't ever wear them because I don't want people to think I've bought into the name!

However, if they were just a pair of good quality warm, long lasting boots at a reasonable price that weren't instantly recognisable as 'Ugg' then I'd be more tempted!
I don't think you are odd at all, I believe there are Ugg boots and there are "Ugg" boots.

The classical Ugg boots became chav statement when milion teenagers bought cheap copies and wear it under any circumstances with anything just to make a "statement" - "I have Ugg boots so I have style" (while they don't).

However I believe that the real boots are of good quality and really keep your feet warm, I would buy a pair too if everyone looking at them wouldn't be thinking "another chav".

OP - if she really really loves them then you can never have enough pairs of shoes. Obviously not exactly the same ones. I have 10 pairs of evening shoes and no one ever told me that I can do with 1 pair.

But you need to be sure she is still into them. Also the idea of a bag to go with her boots is really nice!!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Any For This Useful Post: Show me >>
Closed Thread