Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • bobajob 1966
    • 26th Oct 11, 2:50 AM
    • 26th Oct 11, 2:50 AM
    If you are receiving means tested ESA, you qualify for help with health costs. If you received contributions based ESA you will not qualify, but you may be able to receive help by completing a HC1 (Help with Health Costs) form.
  • ronw
    • 26th Oct 11, 3:20 AM
    • 26th Oct 11, 3:20 AM
    If you are receiving means tested ESA, you qualify for help with health costs. If you received contributions based ESA you will not qualify, but you may be able to receive help by completing a HC1 (Help with Health Costs) form.
    Originally posted by bobajob 1966
    i think it's income-related esa, is that the same as means tested?
    • steve1980
    • By steve1980 26th Oct 11, 4:40 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 1,140 Thanks
    steve1980
    • 26th Oct 11, 4:40 AM
    • 26th Oct 11, 4:40 AM
    Tesco do a free eye test, whilst www.lensway.co.uk are cheap beyond cheap for glasses and are always doing offers.
    Estate Agent, Web Designer & All Round Geek!
    • Muttleythefrog
    • By Muttleythefrog 26th Oct 11, 5:05 AM
    • 7,929 Posts
    • 15,291 Thanks
    Muttleythefrog
    • 26th Oct 11, 5:05 AM
    • 26th Oct 11, 5:05 AM
    i think it's income-related esa, is that the same as means tested?
    Originally posted by ronw
    Yep.. Income related is means tested. Contribution based isn't. Your award letter (where it gives a breakdown of how much they're paying you) should reference which type.

I got a free eye test (due to being on IR ESA), a cheap pair of glasses (because IR ESA qualifies you to an NHS Optical voucher and I used it to get the glasses)... and I got lucky because it was done through Specsavers who also gave me contact lenses for free and a couple of checkups to make sure they're okay. All I had to do was book appointment for eye test and when there tell them I'm entitled to Free NHS Eye Test and Optical voucher... took proof of benefit award (as directed) but they never asked to see it.

This link seems an excellent one to cover most questions you should have.
    http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcosts/pages/Eyecarecosts.aspx
    Last edited by Muttleythefrog; 26-10-2011 at 5:19 AM.
  • gardenpath
    • 26th Oct 11, 4:53 PM
    • 26th Oct 11, 4:53 PM
    Specsavers will do a free eye test and you can get free glasses... or if you want more expensive ones they take off the cost of the NHS free ones, which is about £39 if I remember rightly! HTH
  • ronw
    • 27th Oct 11, 5:54 AM
    • 27th Oct 11, 5:54 AM
    thanks very much for the advice, i think my last test i got with my jsa and discounted glasses was about 2 years ago, would i be eligible for new eye test and glasses now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

285Posts Today

2,148Users online

Martin's Twitter