'A blog in support of stupid people's rights (probably the most important...)' blog

Options

Comments

• JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Mandelbrot wrote: »
    Even if he had savings that were greater than his mortgage, he would still technically have a debt.
    No credit card, Martin? Even if you pay it off completely each month, you still have a debt until then.
    He said he'd never been "in debt". I think that's different to never having had a debt.
    If your savings outweigh your debts then I'd say you weren't in debt.
  • MSE_Martin
    MSE_Martin Posts: 8,272 Money Saving Expert
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    He said he'd never been "in debt". I think that's different to never having had a debt.

I was talking net :)
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    My list of ‘stupid people’

That's probably the most arrogant and insulting phrase you've written so far. Shame on you.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Scarpacci
    Scarpacci Posts: 1,017 Forumite
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    That's probably the most arrogant and insulting phrase you've written so far. Shame on you.
    I think you may have misunderstood his blog post. The list is of people that may, in his view undeservedly, end up being called "stupid" by some of the more cynical posters and commenters.

The point, as I understand it, is quite a few people are willing to call people stupid for certain financial mistakes, when there are people - like those on the list - who are perhaps more susceptible to these mistakes and do not deserve to be called stupid. It's a post against the idea financial mistakes only happen to stupid people who are too lazy to read terms and conditions, etc. I certainly don't think he's actually calling people on the list "stupid".
    This is everybody's fault but mine.
  • dtsazza
    dtsazza Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2011 at 4:07PM
    Options
    But sometimes this really isn't practical, is it?

For example, I often get updates for Adobe Reader pop up on my computer. Every time I have to tick the box to say I understand the terms and conditions.
    I trust them and so tick the box.

Are you really saying that you read _every_ term and condition of _everything_ that you sign up for?
    Yes - or at least those things that have statutory power over things I care about (a clause about owning your first-born in a EULA, for example, would be unenforceable).

If I don't have time/motivation to assess the terms, then I won't use that service. Once I started doing this I realised how it's less of an issue than you might initially think. There aren't that many things that include more than 30 seconds reading's worth of conditions - and they tend to be important things such as financial accounts, insurance documents, residential contracts etc. An aggregate I probably spend less than an hour a month reading T&Cs, and it's definitely time well-spent.

(In fact your specific example is quite relevant - I use SumatraPDF instead of Acrobat because the latter is so fussy and has so much cognitive overhead for the simple task of displaying a PDF. Prompting for updates and restating the EULA each time is a part of this.)
  • im-lost
    im-lost Posts: 1,927 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2011 at 4:17PM
    Options

Of course you are in debt, just because you have the funds to pay off the debt set aside doesn't mean that there isn't a debt owed, if you owe money to others you are in debt whether you like it or not.

And Mr Lewis, to suggest you haven been 'in debt' because you are basing
    that on your net worth is inexcusable, however you try to twist it.

You are 'in debt' whether you like it or not, got a mortgage? credit card you pay off monthly? is your electric, gas, council tax etc paid in advance? no, oh there's another debt.

Please don't try to paint a picture that you are whiter than white.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    I was talking net :)
    You don't have to answer this if you feel it's too much information, but are you saying, then, that you came out of university with more savings than debts? And that when you bought your first property you (could have, at least) paid cash?
  • dtsazza
    dtsazza Posts: 6,295 Forumite
    edited 21 October 2011 at 4:17PM
    Options
    No, it's not.

The difference is implied trust.
    Implied by who, though? And on what grounds?

If you decide to trust someone, and they turn out to be untrustworthy, then you made a bad judgement. Again, it boils down to your fault for making an assumption which turned out not to be true, and I don't see a problem with the negative consequences accruing to you for that (they've got to accrue to someone).

I'm not saying that you can't/shouldn't trust anyone. The point is that once it comes down to a position of trust, as opposed to a situation with contingencies that protect you, you're taking a calculated risk. If the risk doesn't come off, you'll be the worse for it. You can't expect to fix things to get everything with 100% certainty of a positive outcome, all the time.

And it's especially silly when you can take a small amount of effort to remove guesswork/assumptions, and by extension the imputed trustworthiness, out of the question. For example, in the milk situation, making the decision without taking 30 seconds to work out what the conversion is (Google can do it in a couple of seconds), is foolish.
  • JimmyTheWig
    Options
    im-lost wrote: »
    Of course you are in debt, just because you have the funds to pay off the debt set aside doesn't mean that there isn't a debt owed, if you owe money to others you are in debt whether you like it or not.
    In terms of language I don't know and I'm not that bothered in this instance.

In terms of the reality of the situation, I'd say someone with the funcs to pay off their debts wasn't in the same situation at all as someone with debts without the funds to pay them off.
    Go over to the Stoozing board and find someone with £20k credit card debt.
    Then go over to DFW and find someone with £20k credit card debt.
    You can't possibly equate the two, and so I feel it is not helpful to use the same language for the two.

Please don't try to paid a picture that you are whiter than white.
    Are you saying that someone who pays their phone bill, for example, in arrears is less whiter than white than someone who, somehow, pays it upfront?
  • SD1_2
    SD1_2 Posts: 103 Forumite
    Options
    Working in the online safety arena, I get thoroughly sick of hearing comments like this:

"If people are too stupid to watch their kids online, they deserve everything that happens"

"If people are too stupid to spot a scam, they deserve to lose their money"

It doesn't help. All it does is to discourage those who most need help from asking for that help for fear of being branded stupid, accused of being crap parents or subjected to ridicule.

As far as I'm concerned, it's the people who brand people who fall victim to any kind of ripoff as "stupid" who are in fact the stupid ones.
    Blogger, Journalist and Author writing about scams and online ripoffs
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport