Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eyelinerprincess
    • By eyelinerprincess 21st Oct 11, 10:06 AM
    • 4,523Posts
    • 3,640Thanks
    eyelinerprincess
    Damp musty smell in kitchen cupboards
    • 21st Oct 11, 10:06 AM
    Damp musty smell in kitchen cupboards 21st Oct 11 at 10:06 AM
    Some of my kitchen cabinets, particularly the ones attached to the exterior walls, have stunk of a damp musty smell since we've moved in. Has anyone had this before and know of a way to get rid of the smell? I'm fed up of having to wash my plates again before using them.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Page 1
  • TimBear
    • 21st Oct 11, 10:50 AM
    • 21st Oct 11, 10:50 AM
    Firstly you need to check where the damp is actually coming from. Is it c oming from outside or perhaps is there a pipe leaking?
    • Ben84
    • By Ben84 21st Oct 11, 12:46 PM
    • 2,813 Posts
    • 3,465 Thanks
    Ben84
    • 21st Oct 11, 12:46 PM
    • 21st Oct 11, 12:46 PM
    Finding a direct source of damp would be a great start, but it may just be because they're in the kitchen and humidity gets in and condenses on the colder outside wall at the back. We have some glass fronted cabinets with mirror tiles in the back and it's surprising just how much water appears on the tiles when we're cooking, even though the doors are shut. If this is the case you probably need to start by reducing humidity in the kitchen, for a start always using lids on pans (you'll capture a lot of the steam with just this), then perhaps an extractor hood for the cooker or fan in a window. We've also improved some of our cupboards by fitting air vents in the doors as greater air flow helps them stay dry. Another option we considered was insulation board for the back of the cupboards so water vapour doesn't condense there so much.

Edit because I forgot to ask, is there any mould/mildew visible in there? Dilute bleach cleaning tends to clear it up, but more long term I may paint my cupboards around the house with anti-mould paint inside.
    Last edited by Ben84; 21-10-2011 at 12:48 PM.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 21st Oct 11, 2:41 PM
    • 1,146 Posts
    • 8,884 Thanks
    russetred
    • 21st Oct 11, 2:41 PM
    • 21st Oct 11, 2:41 PM
    A dish of bicarbonate of soda will trap moisture and damp smell till you figure out the long term problem.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
    • Fruball
    • By Fruball 21st Oct 11, 3:12 PM
    • 5,578 Posts
    • 36,363 Thanks
    Fruball
    • 21st Oct 11, 3:12 PM
    • 21st Oct 11, 3:12 PM
    I've got this problem in the larder since I cleared out the whole of the bottom 2 shelves - I put a tub of bicarb in there and the smell has all but gone in 3 days
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 21st Oct 11, 3:15 PM
    • 8,576 Posts
    • 110,188 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 21st Oct 11, 3:15 PM
    • 21st Oct 11, 3:15 PM
    Is the guttering outside leaking down the walls,?
    35 to go. 35 already gone
    (5 stone to get rid off in total)
    • eyelinerprincess
    • By eyelinerprincess 22nd Oct 11, 5:38 PM
    • 4,523 Posts
    • 3,640 Thanks
    eyelinerprincess
    • 22nd Oct 11, 5:38 PM
    • 22nd Oct 11, 5:38 PM
    Can't see any leaking outside, and landlord just had guttering cleaned out a couple of weeks ago. There's no visible mould or mildew. Will try the dish of bicarb atm until I've had the little one.
    "Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, But beautiful old people are works of art."
    -- Eleanor Roosevelt
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,736Posts Today

7,369Users online

Martin's Twitter