IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Fairy's Thread
Closed Thread
Views: 4,709
# 1
fairyclicks
Old 14-10-2011, 9:53 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default Fairy's Thread

I keep finding i need somewhere to have discussions without taking over other threads so i'm starting this one where i can witter on
Debt at Aug 2010 (LBM) 21,908.86, Debt Freeeeee Date 4th Nov 2013 Massive Thanks to the 10 per day thread, where remarkable people made the impossible appear possible 8.11/ 500 Sept
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fairyclicks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
wolveslass
Old 15-10-2011, 9:56 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Fairy,

I've just lent a measley 20 on Zopa- just to see how it works. I did it through autolend, is this the best way? Also I have the option of any interest going into a holding account or into the lend, what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.
LBM Jul 2010: 29717.06
July 2012: 19548.40 Paid 34.2%

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other - Walter Elliot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolveslass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
fairyclicks
Old 15-10-2011, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolveslass View Post
Hi Fairy,

I've just lent a measley 20 on Zopa- just to see how it works. I did it through autolend, is this the best way? Also I have the option of any interest going into a holding account or into the lend, what do you recommend?

Thank you in advance.
HI Wolveslass, thanks for the post I started with a small amount too so i could get used to the site so i think thats the best way to go with it Its best to be cautious with your money when you are unsure!

I would say autolend is not really the best option unless you have a specific interest rate in mind that you want to earn, for example if you don't want to lend for anything less than 8% interest you can set it at that level and it won't go out unless a borrower is happy to pay 8% interest.

To do that just create a lending offer for 8% in the market(s) you are happy with and then click on manage lending offer and click that offer for your autolend option.

Personally i like to be in control of my money so i set a specific lending offer and i do not use autolend. I let the returns build up in my holding account until i want to make another offer.

I have decided to write a blog post on how i use Zopa so i can explain it better. I will post the link to this very soon
Debt at Aug 2010 (LBM) 21,908.86, Debt Freeeeee Date 4th Nov 2013 Massive Thanks to the 10 per day thread, where remarkable people made the impossible appear possible 8.11/ 500 Sept
# 4
wolveslass
Old 16-10-2011, 9:42 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi Fairy,

Thanks for your reply, I will take the autolend off and have a good look at the site - shame about the blog link!
LBM Jul 2010: 29717.06
July 2012: 19548.40 Paid 34.2%

Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other - Walter Elliot.
The Following User Says Thank You to wolveslass For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
fairyclicks
Old 16-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Yeah i know i didn't realise the blog link wasn't allowed, i thought it was just referral links I just thought it would be easier to explain things with some pics etc as well!

Anyway, yes i would def advise taking the autolend off!
# 6
Rosie
Old 17-10-2011, 8:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi Fairy
I am just trying to get the hang of my Z account. Should I have the rapid returns ticked ?
Thanks.
Rosie x
Apr 10 a day 461.25/300
May 10 a day 102.37/300
June 10 a day 233.77/300
July 310 a day 342.22/310
Aug 10 a day 384.66/310
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
fairyclicks
Old 18-10-2011, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosie View Post
Hi Fairy
I am just trying to get the hang of my Z account. Should I have the rapid returns ticked ?
Thanks.
Rosie x
Hi Rosie, the rapid returns thingy is an option you can use to get your money back quicker than initially agreed. To get it back you have to sell your loans onto another lender at a much reduced rate (and this is only if there is no missed payments by the borrowers). The way i see it is a bit like having a savings account that you would normally earn say 5% on if you leave it in the account for a year, but if you want it back before then you may get 1% if you are lucky.

As far as i know there is no penalty for ticking the rapid returns box, only if you decide to cash in your loan accounts so if you want to be able to get it back quicker then go ahead and tick it. This is just a new option on the site and i haven't read up much about it just yet!

BTW did you see my blog about Z?

Fairy xx
The Following User Says Thank You to fairyclicks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Rosie
Old 18-10-2011, 6:43 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairyclicks View Post
Hi Rosie, the rapid returns thingy is an option you can use to get your money back quicker than initially agreed. To get it back you have to sell your loans onto another lender at a much reduced rate (and this is only if there is no missed payments by the borrowers). The way i see it is a bit like having a savings account that you would normally earn say 5% on if you leave it in the account for a year, but if you want it back before then you may get 1% if you are lucky.

As far as i know there is no penalty for ticking the rapid returns box, only if you decide to cash in your loan accounts so if you want to be able to get it back quicker then go ahead and tick it. This is just a new option on the site and i haven't read up much about it just yet!

BTW did you see my blog about Z?

Fairy xx
Hi Fairy thanks for that. I will leave it unticked.
No I haven't seen your blog.
I saw it mentioned in a previous post but I don't know where it is. Can you pm me the link to it please.
Rosie x
Apr 10 a day 461.25/300
May 10 a day 102.37/300
June 10 a day 233.77/300
Aug 10 a day 384.66/310
# 9
Rosie
Old 18-10-2011, 6:48 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Hi again Fairy I have found your blog will have a good look at it later.
(when I have finished my 10 things lol)
Rosie x
Apr 10 a day 461.25/300
May 10 a day 102.37/300
June 10 a day 233.77/300
Aug 10 a day 384.66/310
The Following User Says Thank You to Rosie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
fairyclicks
Old 19-10-2011, 3:28 PM

Just letting you guys know i have posted another Z blog post today
The Following User Says Thank You to fairyclicks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
fairyclicks
Old 05-11-2011, 9:38 PM

I'm going to add some of my hints and tips to this thread so i can direct anyone here instead of typing it all out over and over!

Here are some of my tips for swaggers then:

My tips

* log into swags site before any of the others you use, type the name of other sites in the search box, visit your site and do whatever you do, once finished go back to swags page and search again for the next site you do (it doesn't need to be different sites all the time to earn) - you can earn random amount of sbs twice a day by doing this.

* for NOSO just click on link in sidebar, click on red button to start, each page with an offer on it go to the bottom of the page and click on skip or next offer button, end page just type the words in the box

* sb TV - open a new page, go to sb TV page, click on any vid, let it play while you do something else on the other page (my fav thing is to do a survey on other page, or to do the sb games) every few questions go to swags page and click on new vid. You should see the meter going up - earn 3 sb for every 10 vids you let play - BTW i have discovered the max earning for vids is currently 150 per day!!!!

* games - if you are using chrome close the message about difficulties, Click on play now for whatever game you want to play (i play zip zap but i think it works the same for other games too), choose play for free,
play the game - don't worry about getting good scores but you do need to play a bit at least, at the end of the game submit the score as a guest - DO NOT create an account for game scores. You will earn 2sb for every 2 games you play (it might skip paying sb out if you aren't actually playing the game for long enough). You will earn a max of 10sb a day for this.

* check trusted surveys page - for quick 1 sb if there is a survey choose none of these option on screening questions. Otherwise complete the survey if you can - it will give you a great boost in points. Points will not be added straight away.

* tasks - I don't do too many of these - some of them are really dull and long. Its worth having a wee read through them to see if its something you wouldn't mind doing. open the task and see how many pages there are and how many times you have to do it. If its too many, or the instructions are hard to understand then skip it. Once you do a few you are happy to complete you will be able to keep an eye out for those ones again in future. Points will not be added straight away.

Hope that helps you to earn plenty
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fairyclicks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
fairyclicks
Old 05-11-2011, 11:11 PM

Maxi Tips

Maximiles is another one of those favourites of mine so i thought i would write some hints and tips for earning on this site.

You can claim various gifts and vouchers on this site - i usually choose the vouchers which cost 3000 points for 10 and can claim this every 4 - 6 weeks or so!

How to earn for free

As i said there are various ways of earning for free - these are:

1. Signing up to various sites or offers - There are lots to choose from including survey sites, bingo/gambling sites, mobile phone sims, store newsletters, and many many more. Please note signing up to some of these sites will result in regular posts to your email address.

2. Completing surveys - these are separate from the survey sites and are from maximiles themselves. I find most of these surveys pretty quick easy and interesting (tho there can be a long one here and there). To earn points with maximiles surveys you need to subscribe to the survey panel on the site.

3. Earning emails - quite simply if you subscribe to these you will get sent various offers via email. If you open the email and click through to the offer you will earn 5 points.

4. Personal Profile - If you complete your personal profile the offers you get sent will be more relevant to you. You will also earn points for completing the profile questionnaires. There are 8 different profile questionnaires so you don't have to complete them all at once. You will earn 5 points for each one you complete.

5. Referral - refer up to 5 friends and earn 1000 points for each of them when they earn 500 points.

6. Videos - Very simple earner this one, just watch some videos and rate them to earn from 5 - 20 points. Videos are added all the time so its a good one to top up your points.

7. Credit Card - there is a maximiles credit card that you can apply for. It does have a couple of 0% interest rates at the minute and you earn 1 point for every 1 spent. Easy way to boost your points if you use a credit card anyway. This is a free points option ONLY if you clear your balance each month or just use for the 0% period!

8. Mini Polls - When you log into the home page there will often be a mini poll on the right side just below the navigation bar. Easy 5 points for answering a couple of questions.

9. Recommendations - Also on the right side you will see a list called maximiles recommends - often there are new free earning options posted on here so its worth a quick look.

10. Groupon - Ok so its not a free earner, but i haven't seen this on any other cashback site so thought i would add it to the list. If you do buy any of the deals via groupon you can earn some points on these as well on maximiles - 6 points for each 1 you spend making the deals even better value than they already are

Hope you find these tips useful

Till next time, earn lots
Ells xxxx
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to fairyclicks For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
-katied-
Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

just found this thread from a link on another thanks for all your tips on all these sites .

which survey sites do you think are the best ones

new to all this and really trying hard to figure them out and all your help is really appriecated
5 a day challenge april 338 /150

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -katied- For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
soxxxxy
Old 05-11-2011, 11:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for the tips on Maxi .I have just joined so all help gratefully accepted .
1% at a time member #112 2% paid
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soxxxxy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
BlueCow1975
Old 06-11-2011, 10:11 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks for the helpful advice Fairy )

5 a day June: 17.30
52 Week Money Challenge: 310 / 1378 (wk 22)
2014 Crazy Clothes Challenge : 194.66/ 350
# 140 2014 VSP 143.39
Roadkill Rebel #8 2p 20p savers club

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueCow1975 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
kingkano
Old 12-11-2011, 5:22 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Thanks didnt know about the swagbucks games business Under special offers though there is usually plenty of videos to hit quickly, although 1 provider is gone now. Shame as that used to be 10+sbs a day.
The Following User Says Thank You to kingkano For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
kingkano
Old 12-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
* sb TV - open a new page, go to sb TV page, click on any vid, let it play while you do something else on the other page (my fav thing is to do a survey on other page, or to do the sb games) every few questions go to swags page and click on new vid. You should see the meter going up - earn 3 sb for every 10 vids you let play - BTW i have discovered the max earning for vids is currently 150 per day!!!!
My tip here is to install the swagbucks toolbar. You get 1SB per day just for having it installed but more importantly there is a little button 'Watch SBTV' so instead of having it in a browser tab/window it launches a seperate little window. Resize this window small, then hold control and roll your mousewheel down a few times to resize whats inside the window to fit. This way you get SBTV in a tiny standalone window that stays on top as soon as it hits 35secs or so, click the next video (or just whenever you want lol).
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kingkano For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
fairyclicks
Old 17-11-2011, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkano View Post
My tip here is to install the swagbucks toolbar. You get 1SB per day just for having it installed but more importantly there is a little button 'Watch SBTV' so instead of having it in a browser tab/window it launches a seperate little window. Resize this window small, then hold control and roll your mousewheel down a few times to resize whats inside the window to fit. This way you get SBTV in a tiny standalone window that stays on top as soon as it hits 35secs or so, click the next video (or just whenever you want lol).
Thanks for that - might work for people on IE but i'm on chrome so toolbar doesn't work for me too well pity, sounds like a good tip
# 19
kingkano
Old 17-11-2011, 8:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Thanks for that - might work for people on IE but i'm on chrome so toolbar doesn't work for me too well pity, sounds like a good tip
It works with Firefox nicely. Yah - can't say about Chrome - shame
# 20
ThriftyFelicity
Old 18-11-2011, 9:58 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingkano View Post
Thanks... great tip!
R.I.P. Bart. The best cat there ever was.
Closed Thread