IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
£49.99 Soup Maker Robert Dyas
Closed Thread
Views: 17,456
# 1
Maysie
Old 12-10-2011, 6:51 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default £49.99 Soup Maker Robert Dyas

hi, i have been after one of these for ages but really don't fancy spending £100 plus.

What do you think
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~153043~American-Originals-Stainless-Steel-Soup-Maker

The top lifts off and its like a kettle fitting with a long chopping spinner bit.

It looks very like the morphy richards one. Now if i can track down a fiver voucher for robert dyas i had the other week. Looks like a total bargain to me.

lakeland are giving out voucher books with any purchase at the moment that have £15 of the Morphy Richards one if you prefer a known brand. As well as lots of other vouchers.

On quidco if you buy online.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maysie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
kurgon
Old 12-10-2011, 6:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

This one is bigger and only costs £19.50.....
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Judge-Vista-...8442314&sr=1-9
# 3
Maysie
Old 12-10-2011, 7:01 PM

saucepans don't chop and cook at the same time?
# 4
Hopelesswithmoney
Old 12-10-2011, 7:09 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maysie View Post
hi, i have been after one of these for ages but really don't fancy spending £100 plus.

What do you think
http://www.robertdyas.co.uk/P~153043~American-Originals-Stainless-Steel-Soup-Maker

The top lifts off and its like a kettle fitting with a long chopping spinner bit.

It looks very like the morphy richards one. Now if i can track down a fiver voucher for robert dyas i had the other week. Looks like a total bargain to me.

lakeland are giving out voucher books with any purchase at the moment that have £15 of the Morphy Richards one if you prefer a known brand. As well as lots of other vouchers.

On quidco if you buy online.
Looks good to me for that price. I made some homemade soup the other day and what a faff.
Hopeless by name, hopeless by nature.
# 5
rovgers
Old 12-10-2011, 8:01 PM
MoneySaving Convert

You don't need to spend that much, all you need is a pan and a hand blender. I made some leek and potato soup today with not a lot of effort.

After looking at the product, there's more effort needed to clean the item after using!

Last edited by rovgers; 12-10-2011 at 8:03 PM. Reason: read item description
The Following User Says Thank You to rovgers For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
moonshine
Old 12-10-2011, 8:02 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovgers View Post
You don't need to spend that much, all you need is a pan and a hand blender. I made some leek and potato soup today with not a lot of effort.
absolutely agree with that. Soup is the easiest thing to make and you don't need special equipment to do it
The Following User Says Thank You to moonshine For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Lotus-eater
Old 12-10-2011, 8:08 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopelesswithmoney View Post
Looks good to me for that price. I made some homemade soup the other day and what a faff.
faff?

You stick it all in and blend it with a hand blender!

Umm, as the 2 above said
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lotus-eater For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
moneymatter
Old 12-10-2011, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I've made soup recently by just throwing all the ingredients in the slow cooker and then when its ready blending in food processor when its finished. Its easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to moneymatter For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
squigs
Old 12-10-2011, 8:49 PM

Chop, chop, in the pan, simmer, blend, serve. Simples!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to squigs For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
beachie
Old 12-10-2011, 9:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Complete waste of time in my opinion - just another Gadget to have around the house taking up space.
Mortgage: Jan 11 - £91830 Jan 12 - £89'199 May 14 - £69'999 Car Loan: Jan 11 - £3658 July 12 - £0! Credit Card: Jan 11 - £3300 Jan 12 - £2250 Oct 13 - £0

MFiT-T3:#43 (Half Mortgage) April 13 - £10719/£42875 (25.00%)
The Following User Says Thank You to beachie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
victory
Old 12-10-2011, 9:27 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Too expensive as the above posters say, it is easy enough to make soup
[QUOTE=misspiggy;51404641]I'm sure you're an angel in disguise Victory
# 12
jj_jj
Old 13-10-2011, 8:12 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default I can recommend a slightly more expensive alternative....

Have you looked at a Thermomix TM-31?

Somewhat more expensive, but does so much more than a soup maker - the soups are absolutely fantastic though (and usually take about 12-20 minutes) to make.

Bread (dough), sauces, ice cream, deserts, flans, curries, flour, butter(!), cream can all be made. And it replaces a number of other Kitchen gadgets (even has built in scales).

I'm not allowed to post links, but Google UK Thermomix. You can get a free demonstration at home, with nothing in the way of pressure - though the gadget rather does sell itself.

I do own a Thermomix, but have no other association with them.

I don't think you'll see the price on the website - something that annoys me but don't expect much change out of £900.

Cheers

John

Last edited by jj_jj; 13-10-2011 at 8:15 AM. Reason: Spelling
# 13
Toto
Old 13-10-2011, 8:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj_jj View Post
Have you looked at a Thermomix TM-31?

Somewhat more expensive, but does so much more than a soup maker - the soups are absolutely fantastic though (and usually take about 12-20 minutes) to make.

Bread (dough), sauces, ice cream, deserts, flans, curries, flour, butter(!), cream can all be made. And it replaces a number of other Kitchen gadgets (even has built in scales).

I'm not allowed to post links, but Google UK Thermomix. You can get a free demonstration at home, with nothing in the way of pressure - though the gadget rather does sell itself.

I do own a Thermomix, but have no other association with them.

I don't think you'll see the price on the website - something that annoys me but don't expect much change out of £900.

Cheers

John

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
nnik
Old 13-10-2011, 8:33 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

If you can wait until Monday they have 15% of everything in store. The till will print a voucher with any purchase over the next few days but if you don't have one just say you forgot it on the day.
The Following User Says Thank You to nnik For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Maysie
Old 13-10-2011, 8:54 AM

I think the thing that attracts me is its all in one. I quite happily use a big pan and hand blender or liquidiser to make soup. I can already make really nice soup. I like the idea of just making it and leaving it to do then just cleaning out the removable inner and cleaning the bending attachment. No faffing about chasing random veggies with the handblender in the pan and getting hot liquid spat at me. Or having to put the food processor together use wash and put away.

£900 quid your having a laugh !

15% sounds good will go and buy some bin bags or something today lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Maysie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Toto
Old 13-10-2011, 9:12 AM

I get it Maysie, I was looking at soup makers the other day too. I like the idea of bunging the veggies in and walking away. I use the pan hand blender method at the moment and I find it messy and not all that good. I get random chunks of veg and the texture of the soup is never really smooth no matter how much I stand there being splattered with boiling soup while blending. The other way I do it which gives nicer results is to go from pan to liquidiser, but this is 2 lots of things to clean up plus the puddle of soup I make on the worktop while pouring.

Let me know how you get on with this and I might get one too.

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid" - Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to Toto For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Alan5000
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I make a lot of soup, especially in winter. I have always used the saucepan and food-processer method, until my wife saw the ad in Robert Dyas and thought it would save a lot of bother, and bought the 'American Original Soup Maker' for Christmas.
It does NOT have a removable stainless steel inner, and can only be cleaned by filling carefully with water and detergent and using the blender function to swill the mixture around. It comes with a brush to scrub off any stains. No part of the machine can be put in a sink or dishwasher and cannot be dismantled.
The main drawback I found with it is that it will only make a specified amount of soup, between 1.3 and 1.6 litres, which is OK for four servings, or two batches for eight. With a saucepan I could make a small amount or a large amount, or anything in between!
In my case, it made the first four batches of soup OK, but anything needing more than about 12 mins of cooking needs to be precooked.
Mine failed on the fifth batch and refused to heat, presumably either a fault in the heater element or wiring internally in the machine. it is going back to the shop, as £50 is very expensive for a single speed blender with no pulse function. Back to the saucepan and food processer for me!
# 18
dollydee
Old 10-01-2012, 5:45 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I was watching the soup maker 'selling episodes' on Ideal World just before Christmas and nearly got sucked into the hype but thankfully decided against one. There was a choice of chunky or smooth soup making recipes but I just know that it would have been stuck in a cupboard, taking up precious storage space and hardly used once the novelty had worn off.To be honest, the soup didn't look that appetising, either.

I decided to buy a kenwood triblade with various attachments instead, including the soup attachment blender but am waiting for it to be delivered. That seems much more functional to me.
# 19
WilliamWatt
Old 02-03-2012, 1:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

I have this. Was bought as a Christmas present. Initially I loved it and was making at least 1 batch a week. It is much easier than the pan and blender method but the same happened to mine as Alan5000! The heating element has packed up so its now a glorified blender! Hoping to take it back but no receipt/box etc
Closed Thread