Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    ladylord
    Vanquis Balance Transfer - way around it?
    • 12th Oct 11, 10:06 AM
    Vanquis Balance Transfer - way around it? 12th Oct 11 at 10:06 AM
    Hi there, I have just built up my credit score by using Capital One and Vanquis Credit cards, and just got accepted for a Halifax CC interest free for 17 months on balance transfers. However I have just found out that Vanquis don't accept balance transfers and I can't seem to find a way around this as my new cc can't raise a cheque for it. I don't think it says anything in their terms and conditions about this but I could be wrong. If they don't specify this in their t&c what legal right do they have not to accept a balance transfer or even a credit card payment. Please help I'm paying so much in interest I'm struggling to pay off my debt!!
Page 1
    • Tixy
    • By Tixy 12th Oct 11, 10:53 AM
    • 31,081 Posts
    • 39,468 Thanks
    Tixy
    • 12th Oct 11, 10:53 AM
    • 12th Oct 11, 10:53 AM
    Vanquis can't stop your doing a transfer. They won't let you BT another balance to vanquis but you don't need their permission for what you want to do.
    You simply tell halifax the vanquis account card number and the amount you want to pay (or enter that info on your halifax online banking). And they make the payment to vanquis and it is credited to your account (just the same as when you make a payment to vanquis).
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give

or "It costs nowt to be nice"
  • Cash Flow
    • 12th Oct 11, 11:36 AM
    • 12th Oct 11, 11:36 AM
    Vanquis can't stop your doing a transfer. They won't let you BT another balance to vanquis but you don't need their permission for what you want to do.
    You simply tell halifax the vanquis account card number and the amount you want to pay (or enter that info on your halifax online banking). And they make the payment to vanquis and it is credited to your account (just the same as when you make a payment to vanquis).
    Originally posted by Tixy
    Your wrong tixy - Vanquis will not accept the payment from halifax or any other lender.

There is away around this, OP have a quick search.
  • Letfromspain
    • 12th Oct 11, 12:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 11, 12:00 PM
    Your wrong tixy - Vanquis will not accept the payment from halifax or any other lender.

There is away around this, OP have a quick search.
    Originally posted by Cash Flow
    They will, I had a couple hundred quid on mine, got approved for a Barclaycard Initial a couple of weeks back and transferred the balance to the Barclaycard - no problems whatsoever.
  • Cash Flow
    • 12th Oct 11, 12:02 PM
    • 12th Oct 11, 12:02 PM
    They will, I had a couple hundred quid on mine, got approved for a Barclaycard Initial a couple of weeks back and transferred the balance to the Barclaycard - no problems whatsoever.
    Originally posted by Letfromspain
    There seems to be conflicting reports on here
  • donnap83
    • 12th Oct 11, 3:44 PM
    • 12th Oct 11, 3:44 PM
    They wouldn't allow me to do it when i tried.
    Getting married 23rd June 2012!!
  • anchorless33333
    • 12th Oct 11, 4:00 PM
    • 12th Oct 11, 4:00 PM
    They wouldn't allow me to do it when i tried.
    Originally posted by donnap83
    what do you mean 'wouldn't allow'? Who stopped you and how?

Surely you just give your card details to the new CC and they pay vanquis for you?? How are vanquis going to stop them?

This is quite worrying to me as I just got a 0% card specifically for transferring my vanquis onto!
    • Tixy
    • By Tixy 12th Oct 11, 4:04 PM
    • 31,081 Posts
    • 39,468 Thanks
    Tixy
    • 12th Oct 11, 4:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 11, 4:04 PM
    Did you try just recently donna? I know a friend of mine did manage to (to natwest if I remember correctly) but its maybe 6months ago now.
    Sounds maybe they've found a way to enforce it.

Ladylord - how much is the balance on your vanquis? Is the halifax 0% just on BTs or on purchases as well?
    A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give

or "It costs nowt to be nice"
    • jackjones01
    • By jackjones01 12th Oct 11, 7:04 PM
    • 320 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    jackjones01
    • 12th Oct 11, 7:04 PM
    • 12th Oct 11, 7:04 PM
    As of last week or the week before vanquis will now allow you now to do a balance transfer. I am just in the process of doing one myself to Barclays.
    • alfred64
    • By alfred64 12th Oct 11, 9:02 PM
    • 3,162 Posts
    • 2,770 Thanks
    alfred64
    Was it that vanquis were not on the normal system that banks use and balance transfers had to be done manually?
  • izools
    Was it that vanquis were not on the normal system that banks use and balance transfers had to be done manually?
    Originally posted by alfred64
    Exactly. Third party creditors didn't recognize the Vanquis 16 digit number - they didn't know where to send the payment.
    Cashback Earned ¦ Nectar Points £68 ¦ Natoinwide Select £62 ¦ Aqua Reward £100 ¦ Amex Platinum £48
    • Bosie
    • By Bosie 12th Oct 11, 11:59 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    Bosie
    Regarding balance transfers, Halifax tried twice for me and it was a no can't be done. They suggested withdrawing money from the ATM (no charges with the Clarity Card) putting it in my bank account then paying them like that!
  • donnap83
    It was around February/March/April time. I'd got a card with a lower APR so called up to do the transfer. They tried twice but it didn't work. They said it wasn't a problem with them, therefore it was Vanquis blocking the request. Didn't really give it much though, as I don't think i called them to query it. But I got a small loan from my back less than a month later so i didn't dwell on it too much.

Thinking about it now, it kinda p!sses me off.
    Getting married 23rd June 2012!!
  • Gen123
    As of last week or the week before vanquis will now allow you now to do a balance transfer. I am just in the process of doing one myself to Barclays.
    Originally posted by jackjones01
    I did one to my Barclaycard around 2 weekes ago, £1600, absolutely no problem. I'd heard the same from reading on here that it wouldn't go through, maybe Barclaycard are the exception?
  • Atom
    They probably want to keep the high balances people want to transfer so they keep reeling in the interest - absolute numpties and very greedy.
    The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
  • ALG83
    New to the site/forum.

Just want to try and clarify on this....I have a Vanquis visa card with £1900 on and yesterday i was accepted with my bank Lloyds for a new credit card with 0% balance transfer....

Once i receive my card will i be able to transfer the Vanquis balance? How can they not accept a balance transfer.....

Any help is appreciated
    • jackjones01
    • By jackjones01 15th Oct 11, 11:17 AM
    • 320 Posts
    • 116 Thanks
    jackjones01
    My balance transfer when through today from vanquis to barclays the transfer took 5 days in total.
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 15th Oct 11, 12:59 PM
    • 9,735 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    chanz4
    A closure letter for Vanquis,

" Dear Sir Or Madam,

Please could I request you close my account, dont bother trying to call me trying to get me to stay as it wont work.
    My shredder has eaten your card, to which it is very thank full. My new providers card apr is 18.9%, to which seem
    to be very low compared to yours, also their staff are very polite and not pushy unlike yours.

I would request that no further correspondance is recived, and that all details are removed from your marketing systems including provident.
    Have a very nice day, just hope your company doesnt go like your sister company yes car credit.

p.s your care insurance is ppi but renamed, incase your boss told you diffently
  • doelani
    A closure letter for Vanquis,

" Dear Sir Or Madam,

Please could I request you close my account, dont bother trying to call me trying to get me to stay as it wont work.
    My shredder has eaten your card, to which it is very thank full. My new providers card apr is 18.9%, to which seem
    to be very low compared to yours, also their staff are very polite and not pushy unlike yours.

I would request that no further correspondance is recived, and that all details are removed from your marketing systems including provident.
    Have a very nice day, just hope your company doesnt go like your sister company yes car credit.

p.s your care insurance is ppi but renamed, incase your boss told you diffently
    Originally posted by chanz4
    Why not just ring them and ask them to close it ? I did and all they asked was why, I said " I now have another card" and that was it , no calls , no lettters except one confirming it was closed .
    TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 15th Oct 11, 2:03 PM
    • 9,735 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    chanz4
    its called been funny
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,281Posts Today

5,449Users online

Martin's Twitter