Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Credit Cards > Vanquis Balance Transfer - way around it? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Vanquis Balance Transfer - way around it?
Closed Thread
Views: 4,709
# 1
ladylord
Old 12-10-2011, 10:06 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Vanquis Balance Transfer - way around it?

Hi there, I have just built up my credit score by using Capital One and Vanquis Credit cards, and just got accepted for a Halifax CC interest free for 17 months on balance transfers. However I have just found out that Vanquis don't accept balance transfers and I can't seem to find a way around this as my new cc can't raise a cheque for it. I don't think it says anything in their terms and conditions about this but I could be wrong. If they don't specify this in their t&c what legal right do they have not to accept a balance transfer or even a credit card payment. Please help I'm paying so much in interest I'm struggling to pay off my debt!!
# 2
Tixy
Old 12-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Vanquis can't stop your doing a transfer. They won't let you BT another balance to vanquis but you don't need their permission for what you want to do.
You simply tell halifax the vanquis account card number and the amount you want to pay (or enter that info on your halifax online banking). And they make the payment to vanquis and it is credited to your account (just the same as when you make a payment to vanquis).
A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
or "It costs nowt to be nice"
# 3
Cash Flow
Old 12-10-2011, 11:36 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tixy View Post
Vanquis can't stop your doing a transfer. They won't let you BT another balance to vanquis but you don't need their permission for what you want to do.
You simply tell halifax the vanquis account card number and the amount you want to pay (or enter that info on your halifax online banking). And they make the payment to vanquis and it is credited to your account (just the same as when you make a payment to vanquis).
Your wrong tixy - Vanquis will not accept the payment from halifax or any other lender.

There is away around this, OP have a quick search.
# 4
Letfromspain
Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash Flow View Post
Your wrong tixy - Vanquis will not accept the payment from halifax or any other lender.

There is away around this, OP have a quick search.
They will, I had a couple hundred quid on mine, got approved for a Barclaycard Initial a couple of weeks back and transferred the balance to the Barclaycard - no problems whatsoever.
# 5
Cash Flow
Old 12-10-2011, 12:02 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letfromspain View Post
They will, I had a couple hundred quid on mine, got approved for a Barclaycard Initial a couple of weeks back and transferred the balance to the Barclaycard - no problems whatsoever.
There seems to be conflicting reports on here
# 6
donnap83
Old 12-10-2011, 3:44 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They wouldn't allow me to do it when i tried.
Getting married 23rd June 2012!!
# 7
anchorless33333
Old 12-10-2011, 4:00 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnap83 View Post
They wouldn't allow me to do it when i tried.
what do you mean 'wouldn't allow'? Who stopped you and how?

Surely you just give your card details to the new CC and they pay vanquis for you?? How are vanquis going to stop them?

This is quite worrying to me as I just got a 0% card specifically for transferring my vanquis onto!
# 8
Tixy
Old 12-10-2011, 4:04 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Did you try just recently donna? I know a friend of mine did manage to (to natwest if I remember correctly) but its maybe 6months ago now.
Sounds maybe they've found a way to enforce it.

Ladylord - how much is the balance on your vanquis? Is the halifax 0% just on BTs or on purchases as well?
A smile enriches those who receive without making poorer those who give
or "It costs nowt to be nice"
# 9
jackjones01
Old 12-10-2011, 7:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

As of last week or the week before vanquis will now allow you now to do a balance transfer. I am just in the process of doing one myself to Barclays.
# 10
alfred64
Old 12-10-2011, 9:02 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Was it that vanquis were not on the normal system that banks use and balance transfers had to be done manually?
# 11
izools
Old 12-10-2011, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfred64 View Post
Was it that vanquis were not on the normal system that banks use and balance transfers had to be done manually?
Exactly. Third party creditors didn't recognize the Vanquis 16 digit number - they didn't know where to send the payment.
Cashback Earned Nectar Points 68 Natoinwide Select 62 Aqua Reward 100 Amex Platinum 48
# 12
Bosie
Old 12-10-2011, 11:59 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Unhappy

Regarding balance transfers, Halifax tried twice for me and it was a no can't be done. They suggested withdrawing money from the ATM (no charges with the Clarity Card) putting it in my bank account then paying them like that!
Cheers to clean files
# 13
donnap83
Old 13-10-2011, 9:30 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It was around February/March/April time. I'd got a card with a lower APR so called up to do the transfer. They tried twice but it didn't work. They said it wasn't a problem with them, therefore it was Vanquis blocking the request. Didn't really give it much though, as I don't think i called them to query it. But I got a small loan from my back less than a month later so i didn't dwell on it too much.

Thinking about it now, it kinda p!sses me off.
Getting married 23rd June 2012!!
# 14
Gen123
Old 13-10-2011, 5:19 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackjones01 View Post
As of last week or the week before vanquis will now allow you now to do a balance transfer. I am just in the process of doing one myself to Barclays.
I did one to my Barclaycard around 2 weekes ago, 1600, absolutely no problem. I'd heard the same from reading on here that it wouldn't go through, maybe Barclaycard are the exception?
# 15
Atom
Old 13-10-2011, 10:38 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

They probably want to keep the high balances people want to transfer so they keep reeling in the interest - absolute numpties and very greedy.
The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience and ability.
# 16
ALG83
Old 15-10-2011, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

New to the site/forum.

Just want to try and clarify on this....I have a Vanquis visa card with 1900 on and yesterday i was accepted with my bank Lloyds for a new credit card with 0% balance transfer....

Once i receive my card will i be able to transfer the Vanquis balance? How can they not accept a balance transfer.....

Any help is appreciated
# 17
jackjones01
Old 15-10-2011, 11:17 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

My balance transfer when through today from vanquis to barclays the transfer took 5 days in total.
# 18
chanz4
Old 15-10-2011, 12:59 PM

A closure letter for Vanquis,

" Dear Sir Or Madam,

Please could I request you close my account, dont bother trying to call me trying to get me to stay as it wont work.
My shredder has eaten your card, to which it is very thank full. My new providers card apr is 18.9%, to which seem
to be very low compared to yours, also their staff are very polite and not pushy unlike yours.

I would request that no further correspondance is recived, and that all details are removed from your marketing systems including provident.
Have a very nice day, just hope your company doesnt go like your sister company yes car credit.

p.s your care insurance is ppi but renamed, incase your boss told you diffently
# 19
doelani
Old 15-10-2011, 1:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanz4 View Post
A closure letter for Vanquis,

" Dear Sir Or Madam,

Please could I request you close my account, dont bother trying to call me trying to get me to stay as it wont work.
My shredder has eaten your card, to which it is very thank full. My new providers card apr is 18.9%, to which seem
to be very low compared to yours, also their staff are very polite and not pushy unlike yours.

I would request that no further correspondance is recived, and that all details are removed from your marketing systems including provident.
Have a very nice day, just hope your company doesnt go like your sister company yes car credit.

p.s your care insurance is ppi but renamed, incase your boss told you diffently
Why not just ring them and ask them to close it ? I did and all they asked was why, I said " I now have another card" and that was it , no calls , no lettters except one confirming it was closed .
TOTAL 44 weeks lose. 6st 9.5lb
# 20
chanz4
Old 15-10-2011, 2:03 PM

its called been funny
Closed Thread