Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Marriage, Relationships & Families > what are the best value dating sites? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
what are the best value dating sites?
Views: 230,229
# 1
lushplus4
Old 08-10-2011, 4:18 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default what are the best value dating sites?

Ok so I am going to take the plunge and join a dating site, but which one? There are so many, but all seem to be quite expensive.

I don't want to join one thats free for women and not men as I think I would be way outnumbered and then not stand a chance.

What do you think ? (I'm female by the way)
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lushplus4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
crazyguy
Old 08-10-2011, 4:22 PM
PPR
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Try POF( plenty of fish ) for a free site for both sexes,
Dont know what its like as I dont go on them but a mate has had a number of dates and says its free.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crazyguy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
building with lego
Old 08-10-2011, 4:26 PM

I don't know how good it is but if you join up to matchaffinity via Quidco you get paid £6.00, £6.06 through Topcashback.
(If you have two email addresses you can get £12.06 )
They call me Dr Worm... I'm interested in things; I'm not a real doctor but I am a real worm.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to building with lego For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
VfM4meplse
Old 08-10-2011, 4:32 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

None of them are good value for money, the men are of very poor quality and often quite socailly retarded, so just get out there and spend your money on having fun instead. Fun people attract fun people you know!
Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy .....A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win......If in doubt, don't pull out!
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to VfM4meplse For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Li0nhead
Old 08-10-2011, 4:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Li0nhead Send a message via MSN to Li0nhead

Tried a lot, most are rubbish.

If your female you will get loads of mail from married perverts
If your male you will get no contact except the odd fake scammer/fake profile to keep you interested.

Plenty Of Fish: Free and loads of users. Downside, perverts/your mails getting no response as your mail has been lost among the perverts mass mails.

Ok cupid: also free and smaller. Less crap sent to me but no contacts on there either.

Various pay ones: Very little contact because nearly all the users are on the free bits to make the site appear to have more users than it does.

Heard lots of happy stories from them but not having much luck myself.
Feel for those worse off than yourself. Don't feel for those unwilling to better themselves.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Li0nhead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
*max*
Old 08-10-2011, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfM4meplse View Post
the men are of very poor quality
Makes it sound like shopping, literally!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to *max* For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Jessie11
Old 08-10-2011, 4:41 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I've never used a 'dating' site despite meeting a few people (including my fiancee) online, but a friend met loads of people on plentyoffish which is free. Don't know what it's like for straight dating though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jessie11 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
lushplus4
Old 08-10-2011, 4:48 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by VfM4meplse View Post
None of them are good value for money, the men are of very poor quality and often quite socailly retarded, so just get out there and spend your money on having fun instead. Fun people attract fun people you know!
I do try to "get out there" as much as possible, I have now made it my policy to say yes to every single invitation, as you never know who you might meet. But my problem is that only attatched males seem to go for me and that is a no go area for me.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lushplus4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
vintagebrighton
Old 08-10-2011, 5:12 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I recommend OK Cupid.......... it's free. Yes you have to fend off a lot of unwanted attention if you're female but that's not too hard to do. Also Guardian Soulmates. I don't think it was expensive but I joined when they had some sort of offer. A long time ago now but I met some lovely people on there. Let's face it, you meet allsorts in bars etc as well as online - at least you can filter to some extent online
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vintagebrighton For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Butterfliesarepretty
Old 08-10-2011, 5:15 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I use plentyoffish and smooch, i met one guy off plentyoffish had five dates, then he turned on me. He was an only child grew up in well to do family, went to boarding school, was married 25 years and wife left him for another man. He was a gardener self employed, a cat and no kids. Father died when very young. He promised to take me day out in the lakes then backed out because he didnt want to leave his cat and didnt want to drive all that way. there's me making him nice teas (he didnt like travelling 25 miles to my house),and even though the first dates he made an effort.took me for a meal, he began to want me at his house all the time rather than going for enjoyable days out, asked about my finances, he didnt understand why women had to work full time. The tea he made me was an onion bahji topped with burnt seaweed. My teas were properly cooked as I love treating my man. I made an effort and made some nice pasta dishes and curries that were healthy.

Anyway when he couldnt be bothered to pick me up on way to lakes, (he wanted me to drive 3/4 to his house) he then called me a chauvinist pig, huge inflated ego (because i am confident),cruel to cats (because i work and leave them sleeping at home) and a skinflint golddigger because I hadnt bought him a coffee yet. He believes in women doing as they are told and not working. Said he couldnt keep up with my hectic life, which is going to work and coming home and spending some weekends with my daughter.

Needless to say few days later after telling him its over he then said he was missing me then when I said no, he went nasty again.
Then he sent me pics of his day out as if like a child to try and make me envious for some reason.

Anyway had to warn him of harrassment.

Ive looked at the paying sites and they dont let you pay monthly so I said no to that.
Unemployed But Determined To Get Work

Last edited by Butterfliesarepretty; 08-10-2011 at 5:18 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Butterfliesarepretty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
lushplus4
Old 08-10-2011, 6:07 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfliesarepretty View Post
I use plentyoffish and smooch, i met one guy off plentyoffish had five dates, then he turned on me. He was an only child grew up in well to do family, went to boarding school, was married 25 years and wife left him for another man. He was a gardener self employed, a cat and no kids. Father died when very young. He promised to take me day out in the lakes then backed out because he didnt want to leave his cat and didnt want to drive all that way. there's me making him nice teas (he didnt like travelling 25 miles to my house),and even though the first dates he made an effort.took me for a meal, he began to want me at his house all the time rather than going for enjoyable days out, asked about my finances, he didnt understand why women had to work full time. The tea he made me was an onion bahji topped with burnt seaweed. My teas were properly cooked as I love treating my man. I made an effort and made some nice pasta dishes and curries that were healthy.

Anyway when he couldnt be bothered to pick me up on way to lakes, (he wanted me to drive 3/4 to his house) he then called me a chauvinist pig, huge inflated ego (because i am confident),cruel to cats (because i work and leave them sleeping at home) and a skinflint golddigger because I hadnt bought him a coffee yet. He believes in women doing as they are told and not working. Said he couldnt keep up with my hectic life, which is going to work and coming home and spending some weekends with my daughter.

Needless to say few days later after telling him its over he then said he was missing me then when I said no, he went nasty again.
Then he sent me pics of his day out as if like a child to try and make me envious for some reason.

Anyway had to warn him of harrassment.

Ive looked at the paying sites and they dont let you pay monthly so I said no to that.
OMG sounds like a nutter
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lushplus4 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
watsinaname
Old 08-10-2011, 6:54 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

POF and smooch ..used them but be careful loads of very strange men.... women probably also but wouldn't know about them personally.

Match is ok , you know they may be serious about dating etc but again mostly out for 'fun'.

I gave up on internet dating sites a while ago . All i seemed to get was men wanting 'fun'. Not like i even had a meal or a drink out of them. It was call in during the day when supposed to be at work..... might get lonely now and then but not that desperate.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to watsinaname For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
k9387
Old 08-10-2011, 7:23 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have a few mates of both sexes that have used POF, as long as you filter out the perverts it is ok.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to k9387 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Mrs P Pincher
Old 08-10-2011, 7:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I found one of Mr P's very married mates on a dating site last week. Not because I was looking on a dating site, but because I googled his mate to find his blog and that came up on google.

Dating sites are no substitute for getting yourself an interest and going out there and meeting people.

Mrs P P
"Keep your dreams as clean as silver..." John Stewart (1939-2008)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mrs P Pincher For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Butterfliesarepretty
Old 08-10-2011, 7:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs P Pincher View Post
I found one of Mr P's very married mates on a dating site last week. Not because I was looking on a dating site, but because I googled his mate to find his blog and that came up on google.

Dating sites are no substitute for getting yourself an interest and going out there and meeting people.

Mrs P P
No they are an addition. I go walking and meet people, I even went on a group volunteering to clean the canals and then I got frozen shoulder so could not go anymore. I meet people. But still it doesnt help with meeting someone you can fall in love with.

I have met a few bad dates on these, but i always tell myself it will happen one day.
Unemployed But Determined To Get Work

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Butterfliesarepretty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
ukjoel
Old 08-10-2011, 8:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Dont think the paid for ones are any better than the free ones.

If you check the stats the ration of female to male on some are 1:50.

They are meat markets but its like anything else shop well and know what your looking for. Unfortunately I speak from experience.

If they insist on only email communications or can only speak at certain times of the day they are married or attached.

If they say they are curvy and about to lose weight they mean they are size 28.

If they have a family size bucket of lithium on top of the fridge they are likely to go mental when you comment their garlic bread is still frozen.

If they live in Letchworth and are in their 20's and have never ever left the town of Letchworth even for the day - just run.

If the first picture they send is of one of their 14 cats - leave it.

My understanding is the blokes are just as bad but not tried any of them so cant comment.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to ukjoel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Li0nhead
Old 08-10-2011, 8:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Li0nhead Send a message via MSN to Li0nhead

This thread reminded me of an amusing link:

http://storify.com/rhodri/your-awful...140-characters

We can all relate to some of them.
Feel for those worse off than yourself. Don't feel for those unwilling to better themselves.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Li0nhead For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
Foodhoarder
Old 11-10-2011, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Convert

I just thought i would share my experiences on Plenty of Fish site.
As a female, I did get a lot of male attention, mostly from perverts who would speak to me as a normal human being then suddenly for no reason would send obscene pictures which was a real shame (but in hindsight helped me to avoid some rather undesirable male packages ahem!)

There were also men with numerous profiles who would approach me, say something vulgar and i would 'block' them... then i would be approached again by a 'different' man, who sent the same pictures to my mobile phone... These chaps appeared to get some kind of kick out of offending ladies- but in honesty, it always gave me something to giggle about with my friends!

I did meet a really lovely chap, who was mid 40's. I am early 30's... He was very flash with the cash. We had one date and i decided that he wasn't what i was looking for. He then went on to offered me money to go to his house for the night to 'keep him company' that ended with me reporting him to the site and changing my mobile number as he was very abusive. I have never been so insulted in my whole life!

The next one told me lies from the very beginning... said he was 41, was nearer 51, very old picture of him when he actually had hair. very rude throughout the 'date', stated he was a non-smoker, that was not true... spent most of the date trying hard to oggle down my top or on his mobile which kept ringing. I left before the meal I had paid for myself arrived (1st rule of internet dating, never accept anything on a first date, and NEVER accept a drink which you have not watched be poured... safety first!)

Another man was really lovely, went on several dates, spent over a month getting to know him until I saw him in town with his pregnant wife... thankfully I didn't get to know him 'that' well.
My current chap I also met on there. We have been together for almost a year so it can work.. there are some genuine men on there

My advice is simple... take it all with a pinch of salt, get a harder skin and try not to let any dating site take over your life and most importantly, look for profiles you want to meet up with yourself, dont wait for them to come to you!
Good Luck
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Foodhoarder For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
Jinx
Old 11-10-2011, 6:17 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I met my hubby on a dating site. I found that the ones you pay for were better if you were looking for something more long term - I figures if they were too cheap to pay they were too cheap to go on dates!

As I'm over size 16 I used datingbbw.co.uk and my mum recently met someone on maturedating.

In all honesty I think you get out what you put in - I spent a lot of time chatting online, on the phone and going on nights out. Ultimately I married the guy I spoke to for 18 mths while I was dating others! lol

Good luck
Light Bulb Moment - 11th Nov 2004 - Debt Free Day - 25th Mar 2011
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jinx For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
rosie-lee
Old 11-10-2011, 6:57 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Location: Where everyone uses manners & says please & thankyou

Never used one myself but a friend has used match.com. First guy turned out to be a cheating rat with a few on the go, but this second chap seems to be working out nicely. And appears to be 'normal'!!

hope thats any help, good luck.