Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Phones & TV > Mobiles > NEW THREAD: Feedback on Onavo (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
NEW THREAD: Feedback on Onavo
Closed Thread
Views: 6,770
Old 04-10-2011, 9:59 PM   #1
Former MSE Becca
Former Tech Writer / Researcher
MoneySaving Stalwart

This is the discussion to link on the back of the

Please read the article first, and then come back here to leave feedback/suggestions. Thanks
# 2
djhworld
Old 05-10-2011, 9:29 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Does this application work for those who tether/use their iphone as a personal wifi hotspot?

Can I afford to buy? Mortgage Affordability Calculator

caniaffordtobuy.co.uk
# 3
Former MSE Becca
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhworld View Post
Does this application work for those who tether/use their iphone as a personal wifi hotspot?
Thanks for your question djhworld. I've spoken to Onavo, this was their response:
No. Our service (monitoring/compression) only supports downloaded HTTP traffic, so when configuring the device as a personal hotspot no compression is being made on the data, and also we cannot present it under "Reports".

In a future release coming soon, we'll be able to present the usage, but still not compress it.
Hope that helps,
MSE Becca
# 4
tlsawbo
Old 17-02-2012, 2:53 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi,
This app sounds interesting. I have a non 3G iPad2 and decided to partner it with the "3 myfi" gizmo. It works very well and am pleased with my choice of pay as you go package (3gb over 3 months)
My question then is.
I read this review on the app page in itunes, and I quote,
(.....on the iPad however I can't access my 3 account unless I remove Onavo first - please fix.
Until this problem is resolved I can't recommend Onavo for iPad users in the UK who use 3 as their 3G carrier.)
Does it really not work with the 3 network on iPad or has the reviewer made a mistake?

Thanks
# 5
Former MSE Becca
Old 20-02-2012, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlsawbo View Post
Hi,
This app sounds interesting. I have a non 3G iPad2 and decided to partner it with the "3 myfi" gizmo. It works very well and am pleased with my choice of pay as you go package (3gb over 3 months)
My question then is.
I read this review on the app page in itunes, and I quote,
(.....on the iPad however I can't access my 3 account unless I remove Onavo first - please fix.
Until this problem is resolved I can't recommend Onavo for iPad users in the UK who use 3 as their 3G carrier.)
Does it really not work with the 3 network on iPad or has the reviewer made a mistake?

Thanks

Thanks for your question tlsawbo, I have spoken to Onavo and this is their response:

The Onavo iOS app doesn't support non-3G enabled devices, meaning iPod Touch and iPad WiFi. Even if you are able to install Onavo on a non-3G device, it won't do anything as the Onavo service is paused over wi-fi. In your case, the iPad is connecting to the Three Mobile MiFi over a wi-fi network.

When the Onavo service is enabled, it's not possible to access operator's apps, such as MyAccount, as the user is registered as originating 'outside' the operator's network. It's a known conflict between Onavo and operators, which can be resolved by disabling Onavo via the app setting.

I hope this helps answer your question - please feedback on how you find the app.

Many thanks,
MSE Becca
# 6
23n1th
Old 20-02-2012, 1:32 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

So basically this works the same as Opera Mini works for internet browsing. Though opera do this to speed up browsing.

All you data requests get redirected through Ovaros servers where the requested data gets compressed and sent to your phone.

Whilst this can save you money I would be more worried about the privacy implications involved with this app.

Do they build a profile for each user? (I would say yes to provide statistics)
How long do they keep the data for?
Do they sell this data to third parties?
Is the service secure? ie HTTPS / SSL if it isn't its a no no for banking.
How secure are their systems to keep you data safe?

Just playing devils advocate here but its a valid concern.

Last edited by 23n1th; 21-02-2012 at 8:27 PM.
Closed Thread