NEW THREAD: Feedback on Onavo

This is the discussion to link on the back of the
Please read the article first, and then come back here to leave feedback/suggestions. Thanks :)

Comments

• djhworld
    djhworld Posts: 221
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Does this application work for those who tether/use their iphone as a personal wifi hotspot?
    Can I afford to buy? Mortgage Affordability Calculator

https://caniaffordtobuy.co.uk/
  • djhworld wrote: »
    Does this application work for those who tether/use their iphone as a personal wifi hotspot?

Thanks for your question djhworld. I've spoken to Onavo, this was their response:
    No. Our service (monitoring/compression) only supports downloaded HTTP traffic, so when configuring the device as a personal hotspot no compression is being made on the data, and also we cannot present it under "Reports".

In a future release coming soon, we'll be able to present the usage, but still not compress it.
    Hope that helps,
    MSE Becca
  • Hi,
    This app sounds interesting. I have a non 3G iPad2 and decided to partner it with the "3 myfi" gizmo. It works very well and am pleased with my choice of pay as you go package (3gb over 3 months)
    My question then is.
    I read this review on the app page in itunes, and I quote,
    (.....on the iPad however I can't access my 3 account unless I remove Onavo first - please fix.
    Until this problem is resolved I can't recommend Onavo for iPad users in the UK who use 3 as their 3G carrier.)
    Does it really not work with the 3 network on iPad or has the reviewer made a mistake?

Thanks
  • tlsawbo wrote: »
    Hi,
    This app sounds interesting. I have a non 3G iPad2 and decided to partner it with the "3 myfi" gizmo. It works very well and am pleased with my choice of pay as you go package (3gb over 3 months)
    My question then is.
    I read this review on the app page in itunes, and I quote,
    (.....on the iPad however I can't access my 3 account unless I remove Onavo first - please fix.
    Until this problem is resolved I can't recommend Onavo for iPad users in the UK who use 3 as their 3G carrier.)
    Does it really not work with the 3 network on iPad or has the reviewer made a mistake?

Thanks

Thanks for your question tlsawbo, I have spoken to Onavo and this is their response:

The Onavo iOS app doesn't support non-3G enabled devices, meaning iPod Touch and iPad WiFi. Even if you are able to install Onavo on a non-3G device, it won't do anything as the Onavo service is paused over wi-fi. In your case, the iPad is connecting to the Three Mobile MiFi over a wi-fi network.

When the Onavo service is enabled, it's not possible to access operator's apps, such as MyAccount, as the user is registered as originating 'outside' the operator's network. It's a known conflict between Onavo and operators, which can be resolved by disabling Onavo via the app setting.[FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]

I hope this helps answer your question - please feedback on how you find the app.

Many thanks,
    MSE Becca
  • 23n1th
    23n1th Posts: 1,523 Forumite
    edited 21 February 2012 at 7:27PM
    So basically this works the same as Opera Mini works for internet browsing. Though opera do this to speed up browsing.

All you data requests get redirected through Ovaros servers where the requested data gets compressed and sent to your phone.

Whilst this can save you money I would be more worried about the privacy implications involved with this app.

Do they build a profile for each user? (I would say yes to provide statistics)
    How long do they keep the data for?
    Do they sell this data to third parties?
    Is the service secure? ie HTTPS / SSL if it isn't its a no no for banking.
    How secure are their systems to keep you data safe?

Just playing devils advocate here but its a valid concern.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure