Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Old Style MoneySaving > Smoking Kenwood Chef! - its Dead!!! (Page 2)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Smoking Kenwood Chef! - its Dead!!!
Views: 53,174
# 21
liamck
Old 31-03-2008, 7:08 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcringer View Post
All,

I have recently had problems with 2 different Kenwood chefs.

The first was an A901. It made a 'popping' noise and then gave out white smoke. On examination this turned out to be a blown capacitor. It will be pretty obvious. There should be a crack in it or possibly a burn mark. In my case it was the 0.15 microfarad capacitor.

I also had a problem with a KM200 which would only operate at max speed. This was rectified by replacing the triac (colour black, approx. 1 cm square, 3 legs, secured to a metal place with a nut and bolt).

The triac can be bought from maplin and has part no. BTA08-600B. You should also be able to get a 0.15 microfarad capacitor also.

Good Luck
I also had the one speed problem with my Kenwood A901, however, i replaced the triac yet that didn't solve the problem. I loosened the scews holding the circuit board a bit and that allows me to regulate the speed slightly, however it is not a constant rotation at the lower speeds and the motor and fan seem to jump when on lower speeds, any ideas?
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following User Says Thank You to liamck For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 22
djrock
Old 23-04-2008, 1:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamck View Post
I also had the one speed problem with my Kenwood A901, however, i replaced the triac yet that didn't solve the problem. I loosened the scews holding the circuit board a bit and that allows me to regulate the speed slightly, however it is not a constant rotation at the lower speeds and the motor and fan seem to jump when on lower speeds, any ideas?
Hello, Did you check check the capacitors? Since i had to replace the triac and both capacitors.

djrock
# 23
lumpy_bum
Old 23-04-2008, 9:40 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

this threads enough to put me off having a kenwood chef lol
minds is willing , soul remains, this woman cannot be saved

# 24
djrock
Old 25-04-2008, 12:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpy_bum View Post
this threads enough to put me off having a kenwood chef lol
Hello, There’s nothing to the electronic side of the a901. 1 triac, 4 capacitors and 2 resistors. I think what usually happens is the triac goes and I think that’s what takes out 2 of the capacitors and can take out 1 or both resistors. If you know what you are doing and can use a soldering iron you can fix it for about a fiver.

The a701 seems to rely less on electronic components.

djrock
The Following User Says Thank You to djrock For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 25
jud1255
Old 05-08-2008, 3:14 PM
MoneySaving Convert

whats the green button for ? which is visible on the motor section when the body is in its lifted position.

ALSO has anyone got a manual or Link for the A901 , ive looked on the kenwood site and there is no mention for the old A series eg the A901
only the KM's.
Thanks to anyone that has the answer.
# 26
Addiscomber
Old 05-08-2008, 3:58 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I have an A901 and have the manual. I would say that you could use the manual that you can download from the Kenwood site as a general guide re care and cleaning and so forth.

re the green button (had to look this up as I have never had to use it)
"The overload protection device will operate if your mixer is subjected to overload. Operation of this device will stop the mixer, and if this should happen switch the mixer off and raise the head, so exposing a green button. Allow the mixer to stand for a few minutes then press the button so that mixing can continue."
The Following User Says Thank You to Addiscomber For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 27
jud1255
Old 18-08-2008, 9:15 PM
MoneySaving Convert

update on the manual .
I went to kenwood.com
couldnt find the link for the 901 so i phoned them and they sent me a photostat edition free of charge and very helpful they were too.

just ordered me some caps and triac an resistors cos it went dead.
the caps were blown and the small restistor also blown

ANYBODY NOW HOW TO GET TO THE BRUSHES so i can check them ?
# 28
AlexUk
Old 05-12-2008, 7:40 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Smile

Hi, the manuals of all models of Kenwood Chef you can get in

http://www.kenwoodchefrestore.co.uk/ Download section, also another info, they are experts in Old Kenwood Chefs.

the Brushes I know in GTA electrics they have in good value..

Cheers
:rolleyes:
The Following User Says Thank You to AlexUk For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 29
XRAT
Old 23-04-2010, 5:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks for starting the thread, and for the advice.
Our A901 belched out white smoke (mid chocolate and walnut sponge cake) whilst I was out. Naturally I couldn't replicate it, it ran fine for a couple of months.., then did it again. Having read the thread I checked carefully and noticed a 'leak' mark on the printed circuit board below the capacitor (white box approx size 2x1x.75cm, marked 0.15uF@X) closer examination revealed that the side was bulging slightly. It still runs.., but it won't be used until a new capacitor is in place.
I wouldn't mind but we've only had it 30 years! Mum's had hers for 60 and all it's needed is one set of brushes in the motor!
The good news is the sponge is fine!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to XRAT For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 30
George_Bray
Old 25-08-2010, 6:20 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Kenwood Chef repair A901E

My Kenwood Chef A901E was still working fine (not smoking, for example) but I thought I'd better check the circuit board (PCB) before it went wrong. Prevention must be better than cure. It's a good job I looked because two of the capacitors and one resistor were in a bad way and couldn't have lasted much longer.

I decided to replace all the capacitors as well as the Triac and large resistor. The 9 components cost me about 4 from Cricklewood Electronics in North London, whereas just 4 of those bits are charged at 6.50 or more on eBay. Here are the new parts before mounting:

And here they are after I'd fitted them to the board:

It worked first time. I ran the mixer on its slowest speed (the most demanding mode) for at least 5 minutes and none of the components became even slightly warm, so it bodes well.

Update Jan 2012 - here's a copy of the original receipt from Cricklewood Electronics, giving the part numbers and values for the new parts I used for the repair, as in the previous photo:

Last edited by George_Bray; 12-02-2012 at 2:14 PM. Reason: List of parts added - image of receipt
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to George_Bray For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 31
J.oane
Old 27-03-2011, 6:04 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Your pictures are spectacular. I would love to tackle an own repair on my 30 year old 901A. I'm a total beginner here - can you tell me how to open the housing to get at the motor? I managed to get the top off through the screws for the liquidiser attachment but don't know where to go to next to get at the motor.
The Following User Says Thank You to J.oane For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 32
good2go
Old 04-04-2011, 12:17 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi folks
My wife was recently given a 30 odd year old A901, today it emitted a cloud of smoke and snuffed it - somehow the control board seems like it may be a likely candidate for repair, the question is how do I get to it? Any help would be greatly appreciated

David
The Following User Says Thank You to good2go For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 33
good2go
Old 04-04-2011, 11:51 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

woohoo!!! took the motor cover off and it was plain to see a 56ohm resistor and a small capacitor had departed this world. Off down to maplins for spares for the princely sum of 1.52, 15 min with a soldering iron and its alive again.
dead chuffed
thanks for the other posts for pointing me in the right direction

David
The Following User Says Thank You to good2go For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 34
good2go
Old 08-04-2011, 11:27 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi
turn the mixer upside down, remove the screw you can see and disconnect the electrical connections from the terminal block - 2 wires from the plug and the two wires that go into the motor housing.
next press the button to release the mixer hinge so that you can see where the two screws are. undo them and put them on one side. The hinge will open up even more. push the button in and slide the silver bar out of the way, you can then lift off the motor housing.
parts you will need seem to vary slightly from model to model but for mine they were available from maplins for slightly under 5
1 resistor 56 ohm part no M56R
1 resistor 220 ohm part no D220R
1 triac BTA08-600b part no UK54

they didnt have any .15 microfarad capacitors so i got
2 0.1 microfarad capacitors and
2 0.047 microfarad capacitors

I then soldered them in place in parallel

works a treat.

One thought..... replace all the parts, if ones failed the others won't be far behind

David
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to good2go For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 35
dean350
Old 16-04-2011, 7:27 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Broken Capacitor on A707A

Hi all,

I have a Kenwood Major A707A (built between 1962 and 1976) and bought for a tenner last year in Singapore! It been a great machine until it went bang last week.

I think one of the capacitors has failed. Its abut 15mm diameter an 45mm long. It is marked up 0.1mF X + 2 x 0.01mF Y and '250V'.

My internet research so far tells me that is it probably a 'one X and two Y multi section electrolytic safety capacitor rated for 250V AC'.

I can't find any information on what I can replace it with.

I would be very grateful for any help as once its fixed I get to eat some yummy foods again!

Dean
# 36
squeaky
Old 16-04-2011, 9:50 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Send a message via MSN to squeaky

Hi,

If you start reading from post #24 you'll find all the information you need.

Good luck.
Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
# 37
moggyminor1966
Old 01-05-2011, 1:59 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default To George_Bray

Please could you list the names of the 9 parts required with the identification marks so I can order them from the same firm you got them from.
# 38
Magpie27
Old 21-05-2011, 3:28 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default Help Kenwood Chef smelling of burning

Hi, I'm hoping someone can anyone help me with a problem with a Kenwood Chef A901. I brought on Ebay recently, I made a cake mix the other day and it worked fine but today I decided to make bread in it. Whilst it was knending I had a pop then it started to smell of burning I quickly turned it off and now I'm too scard to switch it back on. Has anyone had this before is it likely to be knackered???
# 39
MaggieBaking
Old 21-05-2011, 4:24 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

It's likely that you've overheated it trying to make a dough which will be giving it a good work out!! Try and stick to lighter mixes next time and I'd plug it back in tomorrow (with someone else in the house!) and see if it works again.

Edit... Just reread your message... You heard a pop?? If so it'd be going in the bin for me.
# 40
jackieglasgow
Old 21-05-2011, 4:35 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Find the old kenwood threads on here, someone had links and istructions on how to fix an old one, they are very serviceable and most things can be repaired or replaced on them. My old one was the same model, and it couldn't cope with bread dough either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mardatha View Post
It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
The Following User Says Thank You to jackieglasgow For This Useful Post: Show me >>