Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 22
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 16th Sep 16, 8:11 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    @finster10

Half the cost of a made up rip off price.... may unfortunatly.... still be a rip of price.

Any company selling electric heaters as being more efficient than any other electric heater and charging a premium for it is ripping you off.

It also seems like you are advertising for another rip off company.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 17-09-2016 at 2:49 PM.
    • tberry6686
    • By tberry6686 16th Sep 16, 8:17 PM
    • 902 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    tberry6686
    So you bought oil filled radiators at half the price of the rip off Fischer heaters. Going by the prices seen on here for Fischer heaters you will have paid ~£2-3K for radiators that you can buy the equivalent of in Argos for ~£30 each.

Either you are very gullible or advertising your own employer or company. I'm pretty sure which one it is.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam5; 19-09-2016 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Sep 16, 10:30 PM
    • 26,079 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Cardew
    I had this in an Email, and can 100% guarantee that I have no connection with this well known firm other than I bought a carpet cleaner for my son.

http://www.vax.co.uk/oil-radiators?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=20160909_S eptemberNewsletter_Subscribers&utm_source=Vax&utm_ content=Radiator+text

These are oil filled radiators with thermostat, timer and come with a 2 year warranty.

The 1.5kW model costs £49.99, the 2.0kW model costs £69.99 and the 2.5kW model costs £99.99.

The point of posting this is to state unequivocally that any of these models give out EXACTLY the same amount of heat, for the same running cost, as any of the heaters mentioned in this thread.

In fact although the models in the link below can hardly be described as 'future heat' they also will give EXACTLY the same amount of heat, for the same running cost, as any other electric heater.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=3+bar+electric+fire&qpvt=3+bar+electric+f ire&qpvt=3+bar+electric+fire&qpvt=3+bar+electric+f ire&FORM=IQFRML
    Last edited by Cardew; 16-09-2016 at 11:15 PM.
    • r2015
    • By r2015 17th Sep 16, 1:11 PM
    • 777 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    r2015
    Anyone seen Rip Off Britain about infra red heaters?
    Past 70 and getting more forgetful and tending to ramble more.
    If you think I've asked this before I probably have.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 18th Sep 16, 9:42 AM
    • 26,079 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Cardew
    Anyone seen Rip Off Britain about infra red heaters?
    Originally posted by r2015
    Yes, these heaters were not only a complete rip-off but dangerous.

This is the link and the article starts at about 13 minutes 30 seconds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07w5qkq/rip-off-britain-series-8-episode-4

Although this is an extreme case(and nothing to do with the title of this thread) similar rip-off electrical heating systems have been on sale in UK for years.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 19th Sep 16, 8:59 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    lstar337
    Yes, these heaters were not only a complete rip-off but dangerous.

This is the link and the article starts at about 13 minutes 30 seconds

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b07w5qkq/rip-off-britain-series-8-episode-4

Although this is an extreme case(and nothing to do with the title of this thread) similar rip-off electrical heating systems have been on sale in UK for years.
    Originally posted by Cardew
    That's a good thing to keep handy for the next time we get a glut of new 'How good are Infra Red heaters?' threads.
    • lstar337
    • By lstar337 19th Sep 16, 9:00 AM
    • 2,873 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    lstar337
    I actually got a flier through from Fischer the other day, sadly they seem to be doing water heaters too now.
    • Jayceeme
    • By Jayceeme 16th Oct 16, 12:45 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jayceeme
    fischer radiator cost
    Radiators/storage heaters cost depending on size from £800 to £1500+- EACH
    • Jayceeme
    • By Jayceeme 16th Oct 16, 12:59 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jayceeme
    They are NOT CHEAPER TO RUN after 174 days post installation we got electricity bill for £898 and warning from utility supplier that year end bill would be in excess of £1600!! We immediately switched them off contacted Fischer with whom we are still in dispute! Response from Fischer "our installation team advised changing from Economy 10 tarrif and you refused as wanted to compare running cost? If on single tarrif they would have been cheaper. Fischer does not compensate customers who experience high running cost but we have authorised our dedicated energy supply switch team to contact you"
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 16th Oct 16, 2:00 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    changing from Economy 10 tarrif...
    Originally posted by Jayceeme
    This alone should/could save you a lot of money (based on predicted usage). In fact, much of the current cost could be due to this. Unless you somehow timed the heaters to use economy 10 periods only. E10 and E7 are designed for storage heaters only. Outside of cheap periods, these tariffs are very expensive. Panel heaters, like the fischer ones, will be using (most likely) this extortionate rate.

Do you have annual usage figures for past total use. You now need to compare tariffs based on that figure. Ignore comparing e7 tariffs or e10 as they are no longer suitable.

If you do not have figures for comparison, average (all electric) users can use between 5000 -7000kwh (if not more). Try comparing a range of figures and see what comes up cheapest....and switch.

Unfortunately this is a lesson, to anyone. Do your homework before believing any marketing hype.
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 16th Oct 16, 3:55 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    I was curious about this company so got them to come around and give us a quote. They were very pleasant people, as you'd expect, and not particularly pushy. However, to install 3 radiators in one room (as a trial, so we could see for ourselves how good they were, at a "45% discount"), they were quoting at nearly £4k. For one room (and not our largest by a long long way)!

That buys an awful lot of heating oil, or indeed a cheap electric heater and plenty of electricity.

At that kind of price I don't know how anyone would even contemplate them as an option, though to be fair they might be more suitable for heating a small conservatory or the like.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 16th Oct 16, 5:05 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    However, to install 3 radiators in one room (as a trial, so we could see for ourselves how good they were, at a "45% discount"), they were quoting at nearly £4k. For one room (and not our largest by a long long way)!
    Originally posted by ElefantEd
    What was the KW rating of each heater out of interest?
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 16th Oct 16, 5:28 PM
    • 26,079 Posts
    • 12,542 Thanks
    Cardew
    At that kind of price I don't know how anyone would even contemplate them as an option, though to be fair they might be more suitable for heating a small conservatory or the like.
    Wouldn't one of these also be suitable?

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=3+bar+electric+fire&qpvt=3+bar+electric+f ire&qpvt=3+bar+electric+fire&qpvt=3+bar+electric+f ire&FORM=IQFRML
    • Jayceeme
    • By Jayceeme 16th Oct 16, 8:00 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Jayceeme
    This alone should/could save you a lot of money (based on predicted usage). In fact, much of the current cost could be due to this. Unless you somehow timed the heaters to use economy 10 periods only. E10 and E7 are designed for storage heaters only. Outside of cheap periods, these tariffs are very expensive. Panel heaters, like the fischer ones, will be using (most likely) this extortionate rate.

Do you have annual usage figures for past total use. You now need to compare tariffs based on that figure. Ignore comparing e7 tariffs or e10 as they are no longer suitable.

If you do not have figures for comparison, average (all electric) users can use between 5000 -7000kwh (if not more). Try comparing a range of figures and see what comes up cheapest....and switch.

Unfortunately this is a lesson, to anyone. Do your homework before believing any marketing hype.
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    Thank you yes i have same period previous years meter readings and have been on comparison sites with these and am in the process of changing tarrif and supplier, also have been doing load test comparison with heaters on timer and not and results have been jaw dropping. As of today heaters are to be used only as last resort until tariff changed or Fischer remove them. Thanks again
    • ElefantEd
    • By ElefantEd 16th Oct 16, 8:22 PM
    • 477 Posts
    • 875 Thanks
    ElefantEd
    What was the KW rating of each heater out of interest?
    Originally posted by CashStrapped
    The total was 7.2kW if I remember correctly - three were needed rather than two because of the size of the available spaces on the walls. Can't remember the individual sizes, the smallest was 1.2kW I think.
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 16th Oct 16, 8:27 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    Can't remember the individual sizes, the smallest was 1.2kW I think.
    So if you compare what they offer, to something like this (if you wanted modern looking wall hung heaters).

https://www.heatershop.co.uk/dimplex-plx-ti-panel-heaters

The 1.25KWH wall hung heaters, which are pretty slim, look good. They have thermostats and timers which ensures they have all the controls you need for efficiency.

Three of those would cost £357!!!

Compared to the 4k from fischer, just demonstrates what a rip off they are.

They would be just as efficient than any of the fischer heaters.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 16-10-2016 at 8:52 PM.
    • Kemilyb
    • By Kemilyb 21st Oct 16, 4:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Kemilyb
    Price=MEGGA
    I've only just found this forum.
    I have a 3 bed, terraced, x council house, with 7, old storage heaters, that need replacing. 2 Large and 5 small. Wanted 3 large and 4 small.
    Just had a staggering quote. We guessed before hand about £4,500 to £6,000. .
    The Quote. . £10,400. An average of £1,486 EACH. And the FREE heating survey was awful, hard sell, no answers to direct questions, and lots of jargon, and science, that I'm sure was supposed to sound impressive, and I wasn't supposed to understand, just be dumbly impressed.
    I asked for no silly gimmicks during the survey, but I got nothing but that.
    Because I said I had 2 quotes already, and wouldn't tell him who with, he managed to put a slur on the products and services of every company he could think of.
    I'm totally sceptical of any company that is scared to tell you the price indication of their products.
    And he tried to give me a discount, if I put the deposit down NOW. . .NO WAY. Very poor conduct of the guy on the survey. . which was actually a Sales man. . Who was more like a dodgy car sales man. . Honestly "insert name" I wouldn't lie to you. . . "insert name" I only am passionate because our product is so much superior and I believe that you need it "insert name" . . .Blah blah. He repeated my name in EVERY sentence for 2 hours. I can just imagine the sales course he went on. Worst 2 hours of my life.
    I knew I wouldn't use them 2 mins after him arriving. . Before knowing the price.
    It is a good product, but not worth the hilarious price.
    I just want to add, that I made it quite clear that I wanted night storage heaters before booking my quote/sales appointment, as that is what I have now. They said yes correct. However the sales guy, tried to insist that I would need to change off of E7, because these Fischer heaters are NOT totally night storage heater, and DO continue to use electric during the day. Saying that even after I did this I'd be saving on electric. . I'm not so sure. My current antique night storage heaters are not expensive to run on E7.
    Last edited by Kemilyb; 25-10-2016 at 7:31 AM.
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 21st Oct 16, 7:00 PM
    • 6,212 Posts
    • 4,700 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    I've only just found this forum.
    I have a 3 bed, terraced, x council house, with 7, old storage heaters, that need replacing. 2 Large and 5 small. Wanted 3 large and 4 small.
    Just had a staggering quote. We guessed before hand about £4,500 to £6,000. .
    The Quote. . £10,400. And the FREE heating survey was awful, hard sell, no answers to direct questions, and lots of jargon, and science, that I'm sure was supposed to sound impressive, and I wasn't supposed to understand, just be dumbly impressed.
    I asked for no silly gimmicks during the survey, but I got nothing but that.
    Because I said I had 2 quotes already, and wouldn't tell him who with, he managed to put a slur on the products and services of every company he could think of.
    I'm totally sceptical of any company that is scared to tell you the price indication of their products.
    And he tried to give me a discount, if I put the deposit down NOW. . .NO WAY. Very poor conduct of the guy on the survey. . which was actually a Sales man. . Who was more like a dodgy car sales man. . Honestly "insert name" I wouldn't lie to you. . . "insert name" I only am passionate because our product is so much superior and I believe that you need it "insert name" . . .Blah blah. He repeated my name in EVERY sentence for 2 hours. I can just imagine the sales course he went on. Worst 2 hours of my life.
    I knew I wouldn't use them 2 mins after him arriving. . Before knowing the price.
    It is a good product, but not worth the hilarious price.
    Originally posted by Kemilyb
    Always good to get real facts, prices and experiences from householder's. Thanks for your feedback KemilyB - to MSE members and visitors.
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - ℜ
    • geoffB
    • By geoffB 22nd Oct 16, 2:29 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    geoffB
    geoffb
    i'm a bit confused too, there is no pdf. and information on there website makes no such claims
    Originally posted by peacock17
    iam still trying to find a rough idea of the cost of these heaters and the installment cost no one seem to be able to answer this??
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 22nd Oct 16, 2:45 PM
    • 859 Posts
    • 478 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    iam still trying to find a rough idea of the cost of these heaters and the installment cost no one seem to be able to answer this??
    Originally posted by geoffB
    You can't, that's the point. The company makes up any price they want! You have to get sales person to come out, who is trained to market them ,put pressure on you and get a sale.

They inflate prices way beyond the material value of the heaters and then slap on fake discounts.

As you can see above...two examples...(posts 437 and 431)..where they quote crazy prices they have been given. So, they [the company] just make them up. The prices will be different for every customer depending how how much they feel they can get out of each person.

If you look at the link I posted above, you will see a similar range of heaters. They will be just as efficient, just as responsive but you will get a true retail value.

Above example quoted £10,400 for 6 heaters. An average of £1485 per heater.

The other example a customer posted £4000 for 3 heaters. An average of around £1300 per heater.

The link I posted above, which has similar looking heaters if you look through their range. £100 - £300 per heater.

In fact, you can get portable heaters from argos which cost £50 and have the exact same efficiency.

So don't get drawn in. Avoid at all costs.
    Last edited by CashStrapped; 22-10-2016 at 2:47 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,690Posts Today

6,415Users online

Martin's Twitter