Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    scooter_aust
    BT Complaints & Escalation
    • 27th Sep 11, 4:30 PM
    BT Complaints & Escalation 27th Sep 11 at 4:30 PM
    I am currently having what I would call an "experiance" in the worst possible customer service and total lack of ownership I have ever experianced with BT.

Does anyone know how to get complaints resolved?

I am owed over £300 due to incorrect billing and after speaking to 7 differnet people at an average of 30-40 mins each over the last month I am no nearer getting things resolved.

any help would be appreciated.

Money SavingExpert Insert

If you're having trouble complaining Resolver might help you.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 13-10-2016 at 2:44 PM.
Page 50
    • ekimhoo
    • By ekimhoo 4th Oct 16, 10:12 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ekimhoo
    BT Broadband Fiasco
    Is there any advice or UK contacts that can help with this problem ?

Telephone + Broadband Fiasco with BT[/U][/I]
    Account No.SW*********

In the beginning of September my mother, who is 85 told me that every time she calls my phone the line is busy so I asked how long has this been happening and she said around 2 to 3 weeks. I checked my phone and the tone wasn’t the same as normal so I went up to Argos and bought a new phone because I thought that would sort out the problem but the same unusual tone was on the new phone.

4th Sept. I went onto the BT website and completed a line check and a problem was detected, I reported it. This was stated as fixed on BT website on 7th Sept. It was NOT fixed
    Why was it flagged as fixed on the BT website?

12th Sept. I once again went onto the BT website and completed a line check and a problem was detected and I reported the line as faulty and when the engineer came to do the repair he phoned me and told me that a new 150 slot board was being fitted in the Cabinet but it had to be commissioned by a senior engineer and I had a choice of keeping my Broadband or having the landline, I said I wanted my internet much, much more than the phone line and that I was prepared to wait for the repair to the landline. It was marked as fixed on the BT website a few days later. It was NOT fixed.
    Why was it flagged as fixed on the BT website?

19th Sept. I once more reported the line as faulty and when the engineer came to do the repair he phoned me as he was outside my house and wanted to do some checks, I was out shopping but returned to my house. Everything was OK from the house and he went to the BT street cabinet and called me and told me the same as the previous engineer but when I came home I had NO Broadband but I had a working telephone line. I called the engineer to ask what was happening and he told me to call BT as he was working for Openreach and because I reported a Line fault his job was to repair that fault. He repaired the line fault but created a fault 100 times bigger by disconnecting my broadband.
    Why didn’t he leave it the same as the 1st two engineers?
    I then called BT, it took 15mins to get through and the agent kept me waiting another 15 mins while she done some ‘checks’ and I was still without Broadband.

20th Sept. Broadband fault was reported and another engineer came out and he called me on 21st Sept and explained that he as he is not ‘Fault Finder’ trained but he has to call his boss about the problem, he did and his boss told him to report the problem again for another engineer to deal with it.
    Why is BT sending an engineer to solve a fault when he is not ‘Fault Finder’ trained?

22nd Sept. I called BT again – 15 mins to get through and 15 mins going through the same time wasting questions and checks. The agent told me that he has reported the Broadband fault and raised it to Level 2 but it will not be done until Monday 26th Sept. and even after I explained all the problems and he had all the engineer reports on his computer screen explaining that the problem was in the BT Cabinet, I was warned verbally and by text that £129.99 would be charged if the fault was inside my house.

26th Sept. The BT engineer called me early on Monday and said he is at the Cabinet and that that there is nothing he can do because the problem requires a PCR engineer. He couldn’t give me an approximate time for when the job will be completed.
    Just to rub salt into the wounds I received a 3 text messages at 11.00am, 11.54am and 12.21pm to tell me that an engineer was on his way and 3 emails at 11.00am, 11.54am and 12.21pm to tell me that an engineer is at my property but he had already been and left the village at 8.45am.

Why send a normal engineer to sort a Broadband problem when a PCR engineer is required?
    The 2nd engineer on 12th Sept knew that the 150 slot board needed a PCR engineer to commission it, why are normal engineers sent out every time and each time they fail to resolve the problem and I have to wait an extra 4 days or more each and every time?

I then called BT 150 Complaint section and went through all the same router description, telephone, identity etc. checks. I had to wait 15mins to get through another 20mins before the she came back. The call was 32mins long. She said she spoke with some high level people and that the fault will be completed by 1.45pm Friday 30th Sept.
    I then received a call from a level 2 agent at BT and I explained the story so far and he said he would investigate and get back to me. He did not get back to me.

27th Sept. Received a call from a Complaints Manager who told me he is going to raise my complaint with a Level 2 team.

28th Sept. Opened BT Chat. Took around 15 mins to get answered when the page stated “2 mins waiting time” I and wanted BT to ensure that a PCR Broadband engineer comes out on Friday. Asked for a transcript of the chat and advisor said it will be emailed to me.

29th Sept. BT called me and told me that the engineers are working on the fault in the exchange and will be rectified by 2nd Oct. I suspect I’m being lied to and this has become a totally and utterly disgusting amount of time to sort this minor problem out. This has become an absolute fiasco run by what seems like a Micky Mouse bunch of amateurs that is supposed to be a Tech Giant in 2016. Flabbergasted by the stuff I’m being told by these Customer service agents.

30th Sept. BT engineers are working at the green street cabinet where my faulty connection is situated but still no Broadband. BT called my house phone when I was in work at approx. 3.30pm when I already told them to call my mobile if there is no answer from my landline. I went onto BT Chat to find out who called and asked for a phone call to be returned. 50mins on webchat, passed from one agent who took 25mins to ‘check things’ to a supervisor who took another 25mins to ‘check things’ and was eventually told that someone would call me.
    Nobody called me back.

1st Oct. Called BT to cancel my contract - took 25mins for an answer and was told I can’t cancel without charges unless there is a no ‘held to term’ action put on my contract by Openreach Technical Services which would allow me to leave due to BT failing with their service. So was advised to wait after engineers visit 2nd Oct.

2nd Oct. Today is the day that I was promised to have my Broadband up and running. As I suspected absolutely nothing has been done. Phone call was promised between 1.00pm and 4.00pm but couldn’t wait and phoned BT and as normal an unusually high amount of calls was relayed to me and I opted for the ring-back option at 2.30pm. Ring-back came after 65mins but I when I picked the phone up the line went dead. Called BT again, they answered after 22mins and the call was 24mins while checks were made. The agent told me that nothing will be done until 4th Oct. I asked for a no ‘held to term’ action on my account and the agent told me that he can’t provide this and that it would have to be a manager. He arranged for a manager to call me 3rd Oct at 1.00pm – 3.00pm.
    At 5.25pm I received a call from another agent at BT to tell me that the work couldn’t be carried out as no engineers work on Sunday, I questioned this Sunday fix on 29th but was told that it will be done by today (Sun) and when I asked why I was told that it would be done by Sun 2nd Oct. She didn’t know what to say. Just a laughable pile of crap.

3rd Oct. BT called at 2.50pm. Couldn’t give me any update or information. Couldn’t give my account any ‘held to term’ action. Promised another call-back between 1.00 – 3.00pm
    Over the last 2 weeks I’ve spent over 90mins waiting for my BT calls to be answered.
    Over 100mins waiting or talking when the phone was eventually answered.
    Over 100mins on Web chat and 6hrs waiting in for BT call-backs.
    This is now making me ill!!!
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
    • nevvyc
    • By nevvyc 4th Oct 16, 11:18 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    nevvyc
    BT Fiasco
    Totally understand your predicament.
    My experience is no way as bad as yours, but I have had no BT line (and Broadband ) for 6 days.
    BT Call Centres are totally useless. Consistently blame Openzone, and I keep explaining, nicely, that I do not care, my contract is with BT.
    Plus I get call backs from BT Call Centre "MANAGERS" who are so obviously reading from a hymn sheet, that I have to hang up before I say something I will later regret.
    We all need to transfer to Utility Wharehouse or similar, I will!
    • MrsJones999
    • By MrsJones999 7th Oct 16, 6:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MrsJones999
    I'm having problems with BT too. Moving from BT Broadband to BT Infinity the box that 'will fit through a normal letterbox' hasn't. It didn't arrive at Royal Mail early enough from BT for them to deliver it on time although it was ordered days ago. 42 minutes waiting for BT to answer the phone to see what they can do to help and apparently they can't do anything I need to take it up with Royal Mail. When I check blogs on the internet it's been happening since 2010. So there's progress for you. Oh how I wish I had gone elsewhere. So I'm paying for a service I'm not getting and I felt BT were in breach of contract because my contract is with them not Royal Mail. Why are they still using Royal Mail when this appears to happen constantly. And breathe.............
    Last edited by MrsJones999; 07-10-2016 at 6:40 PM. Reason: Added a bit
    • iancal1
    • By iancal1 11th Oct 16, 11:45 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    iancal1
    Mr Caldwell
    My phone line has been faulty for two weeks. I still cannot get a date for a fix BT blaming Openreach who are blaming third party because they need to dig up my front garden. The call centre is hopeless.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 11th Oct 16, 11:46 AM
    • 30,276 Posts
    • 35,824 Thanks
    Browntoa
    awaiting contractors to do the work
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 11th Oct 16, 11:19 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    ekimhoo - They are not 'engineers', they are 'technicians'. Big difference.
    • Minrich
    • By Minrich 13th Oct 16, 9:22 AM
    • 588 Posts
    • 325 Thanks
    Minrich
    My parents aged over 80 have had issues with their BT line for about 3 - 4 years and have complained 6 times in 15 months , each time an engineer comes out and tells them it is a big problem up the road which needs digging up. This never happens and the line continues to go from just about acceptable to being not able to hear the caller at all. Each previous time they are told the problem is resolved and a slight improvement is seen over a few weeks then it goes back to how it was before ! Others in the same road get similar problems but they are also over 80 and cannot put up with the hassle. A retired BT Openreach engineer has said it will be water damage to the cables which need replacing which are underground and are very old. So any advice ?
    • Kelz.Flet
    • By Kelz.Flet 24th Oct 16, 9:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Kelz.Flet
    Problems with BT
    Is there still a BT representative on this forum that would be able to assist me with ongoing issues I am having with the BT service I am getting?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 24th Oct 16, 9:47 AM
    • 17,248 Posts
    • 7,790 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Is there still a BT representative on this forum that would be able to assist me with ongoing issues I am having with the BT service I am getting?
    Originally posted by Kelz.Flet
    That poster hasn't logged on to this site since September 2015
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/member.php?u=687371

Why don't you simply contact BT directly by telephone or on Twitter or Facebook?
    • jcsubmit77
    • By jcsubmit77 29th Oct 16, 9:35 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jcsubmit77
    How to effect change at BT
    I propose that anyone affected by BT's incompetence follow this procedure:

Open a new BT account - perhaps via Uswitch. The next day, cancel the new account - you have 14 days to do this. Spend a month or more chatting / phoning / emailing BT support staff in India to ensure that the new account is cancelled. Once it is cancelled - if it is - open a new BT account and cancel it. If enough people follow this procedure, BT may get a message ... but I doubt it.

Note to ofcom below

==
    Opened an account with BT on Wed, 21 Sep 2016

After interactions with the BT website and support staff, I realised that BT is as incompetent and uncaring as they were 10 years ago, so cancelled the account the following day.

It has taken until yesterday, 29 October, contacting them every day or every other day, to get clarity on a definite statement of said cancellation.

BT is technically incompetent - leaving customers stuck on dead web pages; stuck on answering machines; transferred to other support personnel with no continuity of data. BT's help lines are incompetent - being transferred from pillar to post, speaking to people who do not know their !!!! from their elbow and who cannot communicate in reasonable English nor understand an Edinburgh accent.

On numerous occasions I have been promised emails, letters, account cancellation etc, none of which happened and without extreme effort on my part, nothing would have been resolved.

BT is not fit to run a consumer-oriented business, and any license they have to do so should be revoked until such time as they can pass stringent tests as to their competence. They should certainly no longer be allowed to use the epithet "British".

I have documentation to support all of the above if required. Myriad other such complaints will be found in fora online.

JC
    • boatman
    • By boatman 31st Oct 16, 1:23 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    boatman
    Its clear to anyone who has had dealings with BT that their systems are not fit for purpose and their call centres are all but useless.
    Can i suggest that anyone who needs a result go via the official complaint page and email them.
    https://www.bt.com/help/home/complaints.html
    Or to skip all the choices, and choose to email:
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/complaints/queue_id/462

Or send an email to their CEO, found here, via www. ceoemail. com
    Last edited by boatman; 31-10-2016 at 1:29 PM. Reason: ll
    • gseabrook
    • By gseabrook 8th Nov 16, 4:09 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gseabrook
    Bt are awful
    I had the exact same problem with BT after doing a house move - no services working for over a month and a half, countless excuses, bad customer service and being passed through department to department with no-one helping. They are the worst service provider ever and I can't wait for our contract to end with them, I will never be using BT again.

They finally sent an engineer out, assuring us that it would be at their own cost as they were at fault, then a month after the visit, £100+ was taken by BT from our bank account for the engineer call out cost. We called them immediately, and they said it was a mistake and would be refunded back to us within 5 days, it's now 7 days later and still no money back... We called them today and they said it had accidently been credited to our BT account instead of our bank account.. and will take another 7 days for it to come back to us..

They are an awful, awful company, I wish we'd never got into contract with them, and I will continue telling everyone I know not to use their services.

The worst customer service I've ever received, they are all useless, just empty promises, and no care for their customers.

So angry!!! DON'T USE BT!!!! THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE SERVICES REQUIRED!!!
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 8th Nov 16, 4:26 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I had the exact same problem with BT after doing a house move - no services working for over a month and a half, countless excuses, bad customer service and being passed through department to department with no-one helping. They are the worst service provider ever and I can't wait for our contract to end with them, I will never be using BT again.

They finally sent an engineer out, assuring us that it would be at their own cost as they were at fault, then a month after the visit, £100+ was taken by BT from our bank account for the engineer call out cost. We called them immediately, and they said it was a mistake and would be refunded back to us within 5 days, it's now 7 days later and still no money back... We called them today and they said it had accidently been credited to our BT account instead of our bank account.. and will take another 7 days for it to come back to us..

They are an awful, awful company, I wish we'd never got into contract with them, and I will continue telling everyone I know not to use their services.

The worst customer service I've ever received, they are all useless, just empty promises, and no care for their customers.

So angry!!! DON'T USE BT!!!! THEY WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NOT PROVIDE YOU WITH THE SERVICES REQUIRED!!!
    Originally posted by gseabrook
    Could be worse, you could be with Talk Talk, had an engineer date set 4 months in the future, nothing earlier
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • FOREVER21
    • By FOREVER21 8th Nov 16, 4:55 PM
    • 1,420 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    FOREVER21
    Could be worse, you could be with Talk Talk, had an engineer date set 4 months in the future, nothing earlier
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    And on the other hand I telephoned TalkTalk about a problem with my router/ wireless reception last Monday after doing some checks on line the agent said she would arrange an engineer call out.

Appointment made for the following Thursday with choice of 2 time slots.
    • kfsimpson
    • By kfsimpson 9th Nov 16, 11:29 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    kfsimpson
    Cancelled my British Telecom service as saving on the Line Rental saver has now become so trivial that it wasn't worth it. Waited until end of LRS term, then asked new provider to take over the line. Received confirmation by letter from British Telecom that no charges due for ending contract. On the day the service was switched received an email from them demanding cancellation charges, which apparently are for the free evenings and weekends calls. This has always shown on my monthly bill as a charge of £0.00.
    Have contacted them advising that I have no intention of paying for cancelling a 'free' service, especially when they did not advise in advance of the charge, and reminding them that they specifically advised me there was no charge to cancel.
    Has anyone else had this problem? If they won't back down, what's your advice on the best way to escalate it? Letter to CEO first, I assume, if still no joy do I go to the Ombudsman service, or contact a weekend newspaper financial troubleshooting column? Any advice or experience on how to proceed in dealing with these sharks gratefully received. Thanks.
    • ahja
    • By ahja 9th Nov 16, 4:23 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    ahja
    Look online for their complaint procedure and follow it - In writing! that means you don't have to talk to the call centre idiots and will be dealt with someone who actually deals with complaints! - send signed for - these are the things that the ombudsman will look for - no joy, not happy with outcome? - do a deadlock letter - they have to respond to this with action or agree that your complaint is at a deadlock (deadlock letter template can be found on communication ombudsman website) if they agree deadlock you can go straight to ombudsman, otherwise you can go there anyway after 8 weeks.

Don't ask how I know!! I don't think I have ever known such frustration........
    • jaybeetoo
    • By jaybeetoo 9th Nov 16, 7:08 PM
    • 554 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    jaybeetoo
    I'm having problems with BT. Yesterday, the Openreach technician left my property without saying he was leaving. I then found out that I didn't have a working phone or Internet connection. Openreach marked the fault as fixed. I was so angry.

When I complained BT opened a new fault which means I go to the back of the queue. I'm sure BT close faults before they are resolved, and don't reopen them when the customer complains, because it makes their stats look good. If they didn't close a fault until it was fixed their stats would look dreadful.

The offshore call centres are useless. They follow a set script and don't appear to use any initiative or common sense. It's like talking to a brick wall. BT could save a fortune if they got rid of them as they don't add any value.

Where I live, Openreach have a monopoly - I don't have any choice but to put up with this rubbish service.
    • Judge001
    • By Judge001 17th Nov 16, 10:09 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Judge001
    BT cares not for the induvidual customer.
    The problem I encountered with BT during the initial ordering and installation of Broadband and TV:
    The order information I was given over the phone during my initial order with the sales team at BT was contradictory to information I received in email correspondence shortly after I placed my order; I was informed over the phone that a FTTP installer would be at the property on Thursday 13Th October to install the internet and TV service – I had made it very clear that the FTTP infrastructure was already installed and powered up, and I only needed the router.
    E-mails which followed my order suggested that a youview box and router would be delivered to my address, only the router was delivered (a week later than the delivery date). The delivery of the router only, suggested the engineer would be there on the date specified by the sales team (13th October). After receiving shortly thereafter, numerous e-mails from BT, with setup instructions for you-view and router; it became evident there was miss-communication between the sales team and the order management team. I then proceeded to to contact BT to highlight this issue, calling customer service/FTTP team/order management team…
    I spent over eight hours on hold, on two separate occasions for over 120 minutes!!
    I was being passed between various customer service departments, I complained and stated my intentions to cancel my contract if the matter was not resolved, they couldn't make heads or tails of my order. I then continued my arduous journey, to the Order Management team, who deal internally with front line departments such as the open-reach engineering branch, and sales. I spoke to someone who could assess my order. The person I spoke to informed me the order was incorrectly imputed into their system by the FTTP selling team. This made it evident to me that the selling team hadn't received the correct training in FTTP based technology, which is ironic. The person I spoke to at Order Management was much more competent and intuitive in comparison to staff in the other departments of which I was unfortunate to liaise with. I was informed the information in my order was incorrectly implemented, there was a lack of communication, and the order was not completed correctly at the initial stage by the sales team. It therefore transpired I do not require an FTTP trained engineer to install my equipment, as it was already there. To add extra incompetence on BT, the sales team didn't put the order through for the youview box delivery either. When I made the order initially, the information I was given over the phone contradicts the emails I received thereafter, which is why I was determined to resolve the issue. I eventually got the youview out for delivery.
    By this stage, I had lost over EIGHT hours of my time on hold. I’m very precarious in using BT services now, and in the future. I hope to be reimbursed by BT, for my persistent effort to resolve this issue, as they are looking at a potential lifetime customer of BT services. To top it off, they had the audacity to charge me for the engineer visit on my latest bill, even though the issue was caused by their incompetence. Depending on the outcome. I am not going to wait out my contract, and move elsewhere. BT cares very little for individual customers, they only care for numbers in volume. I urge everyone to join me with campaigns/awareness to advise other potential customers to boycott BT, and existing customers to leave BT, on account of their disrespect to customers, poor service and blatant general lack of competence. I am very aware that BT has in place a disgusting code of practice that puts emphasis on making it so hard for customers to complain and get anywhere with their complaint that BT hopes they’ll just give up. This issue must be sorted!! There are many other media and internet providers that do a far better job with customer retention, and many have their own infrastructure and do not use BT lines.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 20th Nov 16, 12:10 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 1,912 Thanks
    boatman
    https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/bd-p/Billqueries

Proof if it were needed of how bad BT have become. Just look through the volume of complaints on their forums. If you consider only a small percentage of customers probably sign up to the forum to complain, it shows the extent of the problem. I'm just surprised OFCOM have not fined them yet!!
    Last edited by boatman; 20-11-2016 at 12:10 PM. Reason: I l
    • leswhitworth
    • By leswhitworth 22nd Nov 16, 1:41 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    leswhitworth
    BT Complaints & escalation
    We are having a nightmare even getting on board with BT having left Talk-Talk. We have ended calls thinking that we have left a complaint or ordered a replacement box and when we make a follow-up call, nothing has been registered. The problem is that we are all being funnelled into Asian-based call centres and they are not dealing with the issues.
    We found that insisting they follow up a commitment to deliver a replacement box with a confirmation email, would at least give us a record of the call. They wouldn't do this, but they did send a text. We insisted that they send the text whilst we were still on the phone.
    Perhaps you should try this with your billing problems.
    Maybe, they don't respond to complaints in an attempt to not look as bad as they really are.
    Good luck!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

445Posts Today

3,270Users online

Martin's Twitter