Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • di3004
    • By di3004 26th Sep 11, 3:03 PM
    • 42,302 Posts
    • 56,679 Thanks
    di3004
    • 26th Sep 11, 3:03 PM
    • 26th Sep 11, 3:03 PM
    I took out a loan with Club La Costa in around 2004/5 which I was sold PPI but was not really aware that they had added this on. I already have Income Protection and at the time got 6 months full pay and 6 months half from my employer. The loan was taken out with GE whilst I was in Spain and I am uncertain whether I can claim against them and where would I write to?

Can anyone help?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by kimmie13

Hi there
    Unless someone else says any different, but as far as I am aware you can still make a reclaim on the ppi.

However, I understand that Santander are dealing with the complaints of this business, but make it clear that its GE your complaining of, so they can check the records.

http://www.santander.co.uk/csgs/Satellite?appID=abbey.internet.Abbeycom&c=Page&can al=CABBEYCOM&cid=1210607166846&empr=Abbeycom&leng= en_GB&pagename=Abbeycom%2FPage%2FWC_ACOM_TemplateA 2

There's a reclaim questionnaire below, complete and send to the addy shown on the above link, remember to keep copies for yourself as well, good luck.
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/ppi-loan-insurance#step3

You can wait for other opinions as well if you want to, before you make a start.
    Last edited by di3004; 26-09-2011 at 3:07 PM.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di"
  • JEZ59
    • 13th Nov 11, 4:41 PM
    • 13th Nov 11, 4:41 PM
    Hi there
    Unless someone else says any different, but as far as I am aware you can still make a reclaim on the ppi.

However, I understand that Santander are dealing with the complaints of this business, but make it clear that its GE your complaining of, so they can check the records.

Originally posted by di3004
    I am in exactly the same position - initially I contacted GE Money who stated that it was club la costa who I should be claming from and that they have passed on the details of my claim to them . However given the above info I assume I should address further corresponce to Santander - is that correct?
    • di3004
    • By di3004 13th Nov 11, 4:52 PM
    • 42,302 Posts
    • 56,679 Thanks
    di3004
    • 13th Nov 11, 4:52 PM
    • 13th Nov 11, 4:52 PM
    I am in exactly the same position - initially I contacted GE Money who stated that it was club la costa who I should be claming from and that they have passed on the details of my claim to them . However given the above info I assume I should address further corresponce to Santander - is that correct?
    Originally posted by JEZ59

Hi

To what I am aware of others have been writing to Santander who has been in the same position, you just have to make them aware that your complaining about the other business, so they can put them in their correct batches when investigating the complaint.
    The one and only "Dizzy Di"
  • bespokeandy
    • 28th Mar 12, 9:28 PM
    • 28th Mar 12, 9:28 PM
    Has any one had any joy claiming this back. I'm the same and having wrote to GE was told to take a run and jump and that it was down to club costa. I did speak to the ombudsman who said they wouldn't be able to look at any claim against clc as they were only selling the ppi on a licence, does that make sense it lost me.

Beginning to think I might have to take it on the chin.
  • gusdkeep
    • 16th May 12, 2:20 PM
    • 16th May 12, 2:20 PM
    Having taken a loan with CLC/GE Money some years ago, I have been trying to sort this out and felt I was pushed from pillar to post, but have now just sorted it with one 10 minute phone call.
    All you do is contact Santander explaining that you bought a holiday ownership with CLC and took a loan with with GE Money (Santander have now taken over GE Money). They did try to push me onto GE Money Finance Dept, but that came to nothing. The telephone number to contact Santander is 0845 600 6014 Options 1 then Option 4 then Option 2. Please have your GE Money Account number at hand. A few simple questions and it was sorted.
    • mikeykw
    • By mikeykw 9th Nov 12, 10:41 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mikeykw
    • 9th Nov 12, 10:41 AM
    CLC / Santander / PPI
    • 9th Nov 12, 10:41 AM
    Hi

I have just contacted Santander and unlike your experience Gusdkeep they have told me to go to CLC as they sold the PPI. My loans were taken out with First National Bank that became GE and now I understand Santander.

I thought that under section 56 of the CCA 1974 "...makes the credit card company or the finance company liable for any representations made during negotiations between you and the supplier, that took place prior to the contract being made, which later turn out to be untrue."

is this not the case and are CLC liaible?. If thats the case has anyone had any luck with claiming back from CLC

Thanks
    • gromit99
    • By gromit99 18th Dec 15, 10:55 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gromit99
    • 18th Dec 15, 10:55 AM
    • 18th Dec 15, 10:55 AM
    Does anyone have an answer to Mikeykw question please
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 18th Dec 15, 4:32 PM
    • 4,047 Posts
    • 2,336 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 18th Dec 15, 4:32 PM
    • 18th Dec 15, 4:32 PM
    Does anyone have an answer to Mikeykw question please
    Originally posted by gromit99
    User Mikeykw last logged into this site 28-09-2013 6:29 PM - no update in the 10 months after that post or in the last 3 years
    • mikeykw
    • By mikeykw 7th Jan 16, 4:39 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    mikeykw
    CLC / Santander/ PPI
    I would still be interested if any one had any joy with CLC PPI
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 7th Jan 16, 5:47 PM
    • 18,905 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I would still be interested if any one had any joy with CLC PPI
    Originally posted by mikeykw
    They weren't regulated
    Another thread from 2012:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3991689
    • stevvieboi
    • By stevvieboi 31st Jan 17, 4:55 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stevvieboi
    does anyone know who the insurance policy was provided with? club la costa would have had to pay the money to someone for the insurance, in your name, i found a booklet with my loan details, cardiff pinnacle and ge money home lending, payment protection insurance summary, phoned them but have no details of me on their system
    • -taff
    • By -taff 1st Feb 17, 6:17 AM
    • 7,172 Posts
    • 5,162 Thanks
    -taff
    when did you take this loan out?
    • Wee Jimmie
    • By Wee Jimmie 3rd Nov 17, 10:25 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wee Jimmie
    Wee Jimmie
    Hi
    I have been pursuing this too for two GE loans taken out in 2001. I wrote to Vacation Club Ltd at an Edinburgh address in May 2017 and got a reply from Club La Costa (UK) PLC from a London address dated 20th October.2017.
    I am keen to hear from others about how best to progress this so please folks let me know.
    Letter states
    After reading your letter, your complaint appears to be based on various statements made by the Financial Services Authority ("FSA") from time to time regarding sales of PPI by firms regulated by the FSA and subject to various rules contained in the FSA handbook. But Club La Costa (UK) PLC was not regulated by the FSA when you purchased PPI, and so was not obliged to follow the FSA's rules.

At this time we must also explain that as the purchase agreement and finance application was made in Spain it was therefore not subject to the UK PPI rulings.

We regret that we cannot be of more assistance however in the circumstances there is no basis for complaint against Club La Costa (UK) Pic
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 3rd Nov 17, 11:31 AM
    • 18,905 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    I am keen to hear from others about how best to progress this so please folks let me know.
    Originally posted by Wee Jimmie
    Your rejection letter is clear and in plain English. I'll break it down into the salient points for you

The firm you complained to and about was not regulated by the FSA at the time of the sale.

The sale was conducted in Spain, so was not subject to UK rules with regard PPI.

There is no basis for complaint.

If you want to read the similar experience of others, look at the earlier posts in this thread and you might also want to look at this other thread from 2012:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=3991689

Time to forget about this now.
    • Wee Jimmie
    • By Wee Jimmie 3rd Nov 17, 2:56 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Wee Jimmie
    Club La Costa PPI
    Dear Moneyineptitude, Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your time. I would just like to add that I signed up for my Destinations Club membership at a CLC office in Maidenhead Berks. Obviously this means it was not all done in Spain. I also was able to recover PPI money from a separate loan taken out with GE money at this time, so what I am trying to disprove are some of the statements made by the writer of the CLC letter. For instance they were selling financial products in the UK and cannot just hide behind GE.
    Thanks too for the 2012 link. I saw that this morning but just wondered if other forum members had more recent experience.
    Again many thanks for your input.
    WJ
    • Jenny Kennedy
    • By Jenny Kennedy 29th Nov 17, 10:34 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Jenny Kennedy
    Gosh Moneyineptitude, 3rd November 2017 your reply was very harsh. We are all innocent parties in this Club La Costa mess. I have received a similar letter from Club La Costa. It is full of jargon and is obviously designed to put us off pursuing a complaint.
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 30th Nov 17, 12:00 AM
    • 18,905 Posts
    • 10,122 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Gosh Moneyineptitude, 3rd November 2017 your reply was very harsh.
    Originally posted by Jenny Kennedy
    I'm not here to hold your hand, The blunt truth is that any complaint you might make is not going to be successful for the reasons I have already outlined.

Instead of being "harsh" I could have left you with no responses at all..
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,081Posts Today

6,406Users online

Martin's Twitter