Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • marlasinger
    • By marlasinger 23rd Sep 11, 10:00 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 366Thanks
    marlasinger
    Car tax with no Log Book or reminder
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:00 PM
    Car tax with no Log Book or reminder 23rd Sep 11 at 10:00 PM
    I have only now just realised that my car tax is due to run out at the end of the month. I haven't received a reminder, which must have been sent to our old address. I can't find my log book either - I'm sure I sent it off when we moved, to get my address changed, but given that it was a year ago, I don't remember. I just know I can't find the bleeding thing.

Is there any way I can get a new tax disc within a week, without a reminder or log book? Can I go to the DVLA in person and get it sorted?

I feel like such a plum.
    marlasinger

Page 1
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 23rd Sep 11, 10:23 PM
    • 17,098 Posts
    • 13,562 Thanks
    wealdroam
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:23 PM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:23 PM
    Can you go to your old address and see if the reminder is there?
    • marlasinger
    • By marlasinger 23rd Sep 11, 10:30 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    marlasinger
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:30 PM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 10:30 PM
    No, as the new owners did not move in on particularly good terms, and so would have probably either destroyed it or sent it back.
    marlasinger

• molerat
    • By molerat 23rd Sep 11, 11:25 PM
    • 14,610 Posts
    • 9,006 Thanks
    molerat
    • 23rd Sep 11, 11:25 PM
    • 23rd Sep 11, 11:25 PM
    You need a V62 & V10 & £25 & £cost of tax & documents for change of address to apply for the tax and a duplicate logbook. Only way I am afraid. See http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_069680
    Last edited by molerat; 23-09-2011 at 11:27 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • marlasinger
    • By marlasinger 24th Sep 11, 8:45 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    marlasinger
    • 24th Sep 11, 8:45 AM
    • 24th Sep 11, 8:45 AM
    That's great, I can tax it at the local DVLA. I was worried I would have to wait 4-6 weeks for a new log book to arrive in the post, before I could tax it.
    marlasinger

• Rover Driver
    • By Rover Driver 24th Sep 11, 9:09 AM
    • 1,181 Posts
    • 537 Thanks
    Rover Driver
    • 24th Sep 11, 9:09 AM
    • 24th Sep 11, 9:09 AM

The above only applies if you are the registered keeper.
    • marlasinger
    • By marlasinger 24th Sep 11, 9:49 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    marlasinger
    • 24th Sep 11, 9:49 AM
    • 24th Sep 11, 9:49 AM
    ^ Which I am.
    marlasinger

• forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 25th Sep 11, 1:45 AM
    • 22,667 Posts
    • 8,910 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 25th Sep 11, 1:45 AM
    • 25th Sep 11, 1:45 AM
    But you failed to notify the DVLA of change of address so thats an £80 fine.

And still leaves you with no logbook for you at the current address. They will probably write to you at the old
    address to ask if you have moved.

Now if the new occupiers dont like you they could reply to the letter saying they are you and have no knowledge
    of any transfer.

Either way its a few weeks wait.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 25th Sep 11, 8:48 AM
    • 14,610 Posts
    • 9,006 Thanks
    molerat
    • 25th Sep 11, 8:48 AM
    • 25th Sep 11, 8:48 AM
    Which is wy V10, V62 & £25 fee with supporting documents is used to notify change of address and obtain new V5.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • dibuzz
    • By dibuzz 25th Sep 11, 9:05 AM
    • 1,976 Posts
    • 6,377 Thanks
    dibuzz
    Ex recently had to tax his car and realised he hadn't been sent a reminder or log book, he rang the DVLA who were very helpful and sorted it quickly so best thing is to ring them and ask what you can do.
    I went to the local DVLA for a different matter on Friday and was in and out in less than half an hour and they were also very helpful.
    14 Projects in 2014 - in memory of Soulie - 2/14
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 25th Sep 11, 4:10 PM
    • 22,667 Posts
    • 8,910 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    I think the main issue with people at the offices whilst i was there is the fact they didnt want to put their name
    on the logbook for whatever reason.

Maybe its me but i just presumed dodgy reasons.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
  • Dunx69
    a lot of people haven't received their September reminders this year for some reason.

We just went down DVLA office as much easier.
    All hail the Jack Daniels Swozzler!
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 29th Sep 11, 2:33 PM
    • 5,178 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    LeeUK
    a lot of people haven't received their September reminders this year for some reason.

We just went down DVLA office as much easier.
    Originally posted by Dunx69
    You can renew tax online without the reminder too. Just need the reference off the V5.
    Lee's No More Takeaways Club No.1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

98Posts Today

2,134Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • If you know you're bust you must declare it asap. So no firm ever says "yes we plan to go insolvent". So you never? https://t.co/w8aIKOqHzq

• Some people misreading... it's NOT the rumours of insolvency of the Monarchy! Its Monarch airlines (again tho I've no idea of its validity)

• Also re #monarchinsolvency rumours it's important to state Monarch are firmly denying it... https://t.co/N27MENRjY9

• Follow Martin