Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Essential Money > Debt-Free Wannabe > How to cancel Experian membership? (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
How to cancel Experian membership?
Views: 142,945
# 1
Hootie19
Old 13-01-2007, 5:29 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Default How to cancel Experian membership?

I signed up to the month's free trial of this (intially ok, but everytime they emailed me to alert me to a new activity on my account, I could never log in to find out what it was - waste of time!) and today is the day to cancel.

Trouble is - I can't actually find out how to cancel it. Does anyone know if I have to email them to cancel, or if there is somewhere hidden on their site where I can do it.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hootie19 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
Dan2779
Old 13-01-2007, 5:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Hello

I had the same pproblem when I came to cancel mine in the end I emailed them CreditExpert <CustomerService@CreditExpert.co.uk> and requested to cancel, I received a response to say they had received my email and then a while later I got another email as confirmation of the cancellation

Thanks

Danielle
Debt at Highest 3989.04 on 01/09/06
Debt Free 15/04/07

2 Savings Cub - 96 (50 banked)
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dan2779 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
handbagfetish
Old 13-01-2007, 5:43 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Call them on 0800 656 9000 then select option 4.

I've not tried it but that's what it says to do on their site.

Good luck.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to handbagfetish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
0776steph
Old 07-02-2009, 11:55 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default credit expert

dont bother trying to call them they never answer phone particularly if you press option 4 to try and cancel
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 0776steph For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
Numpty Monkey
Old 07-02-2009, 12:00 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

The phones are only open 9 till 5 Monday to Friday
PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT NERD #869
Quote:
Numpty,Not sure why but I'm crying . Of all the peeps on this board you're the kindest & most supportive of all & I'm & for you all at the same time :confused: .Wish I was there to give you a big & emergency hobnobs
xx
DFD 5/1/16
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Numpty Monkey For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
Ana Bondar
Old 10-02-2011, 7:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Here is your answer!

CALL YOUR BANK AND CANCELL THE CARD YOUVE USED FOR REGISTERING.

I JUST CALLED MY BANK AND APPARENTLY EXPERIAN HAVE EVEN CHARGED ME FOR THE FREE TRIAL REGISTRATION 0.86

THIS WAS NOT MENTIONED IN EXPERIAN TERMS AND CONDITIONS, YET HERE WE GO,
IT ISNT A BIG AMOUNT OF MONEY BUT DID GET ME WORRIED AS i AM NOW 0.44 OVERDRAWN AND THE 28.00 UNAUTHORISED OVERDRAFT CHARGE WILL BE ON ME

NO WAY I WILL DISPUTE THAT
THIS EXPERIANS ARE DODGY!!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Bondar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
Ana Bondar
Old 10-02-2011, 7:54 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down Sham bogus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana bondar View Post
call your bank and cancell the card youve used for registering.

I just called my bank and apparently experian have even charged me for the free trial registration 0.86

this was not mentioned in experian terms and conditions, yet here we go,
it isnt a big amount of money but did get me worried as i am now 0.44 overdrawn and the 28.00 unauthorised overdraft charge will be on me

no way i will dispute that
this experians are dodgy!!!!!
:t ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ana Bondar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Ana Bondar
Old 10-02-2011, 7:56 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Thumbs down

EXPERIAN IS TOO BAD!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ana Bondar For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
missladyannie
Old 10-02-2011, 9:32 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hiya, i've used Experian a couple of times and you usually have to phone up to cancel your membership, they try to get you to stay on but fight your corner!! Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to missladyannie For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
amkbaker
Old 11-02-2011, 12:32 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

I registered for the free month, my credit score was 999, I believe the highest possible, then the month after they emailed me and quoted my credit reference to be 730 so I signed in for a look and was charged 5.50 for it to tell me that my credit rating was in actual fact 999. I have been receiving the same email every month and am now going to attept to cancel. Thanks to everyone for the information given.
The Following User Says Thank You to amkbaker For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Bikerdels
Old 19-11-2011, 11:23 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default So far so good....

Scared by forum members' comments, with trepidation I rang the new (5p a minute ) 0844 481 0800 option 4 number to leave Experian, after checking my report was OK. Phone was answered immediately (11.00am Saturday) by a knowledgeable lass named Caroline.
She quickly asked why I wanted to cancel and I explained I was just wanted to check my score as I'd had a mobile phone contract denied and it was implied this was due to my credit score/number of searches.
She confirmed my score was fine but gave good advice about shedding unused credit cards to reduce unnecessary debit liability/exposure and also saw that I had two associated people on my file.
Now one of these is my wife who (for better or worse) I am happy to be associated with. The other is my stepson who I guaranteed rent for when he was at university. That was years ago and he now has two perfectly good feet to stand on! Apparently associations stay on file for life unless removed so Caroline explained how to disassociate online and that it could be done within 14 days, but I needed to be an active member for them to do it.

As I am only into my 2nd day of 30 with them, she agreed that she would postpone cancellation of membership until I'd applied for disassociation.

This I've done so I will report later if it all goes smoothly and the cost is just the premium phone call charge!
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bikerdels For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
poppasmurf_bewdley
Old 19-11-2011, 11:35 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Bikerdels

If you'd gone onto the Say No to 0870 website and entered that 0844 number, it would have given you the freephone number 0800 5610083 so you could have missed paying the premium rate number costs.

I used to be a Conservative, but I'm better now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poppasmurf_bewdley For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
Bikerdels
Old 07-12-2011, 11:14 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default So far so average!

Thanks Poppasmurf!
Used the number to chase my email and spoke with Amy who elevated my query to be responded to in 48 hours. (This is after me chasing by email on 2 Dec and having nothing more than auto acknowledgement).

(Why didn't I find that number on Saynoto0870? Doh! )
A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bikerdels For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
shain101
Old 25-01-2012, 11:11 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default No problems!

Just dialled the freephone number 0800 5610083 (Wednesday 11am) and got through after a minutes wait as i am 20 days through my trial and want to cancel.

Lady i dealt with initially offered to reduce the payment from 14.99 pcm to 7.99 pcm but as this service is duplicated on my new Vanquis card, i politely declined.

Therefore i am now cancelled and am waiting my e-mail confirmation.

Was initally worried that it was going to be hard-sell but seems no problems at all!!
The Following User Says Thank You to shain101 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
Stokesy666
Old 16-02-2012, 2:13 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Just registered to say thanks to everyone for this post. I too had nightmare on the website trying to find a number or way of cancelling the 30 days free trial before I started paying.

Have to say the call was a breeze and was the free (0800) number, answered quickly at lunchtime as well. They tried in vain to keep me signed up (1.99 for monthly update if someone tries to apply for finance in my name) but I see no need for it and was very happy with my 999 rating! Had credit issues many years ago and wasnt sure what was still lurking on my credit history, but thankfully all is well. I will have my revenge on Barclaycard anyway as sent off my PPI claim!

Thanks again and will now be using the site a lot more!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Stokesy666 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
techspec
Old 23-02-2012, 8:20 PM

I've used them for many, many years - but often cancelled for a few months - then joined again.

But the last time i cancelled - the woman told me there were technical errors, but she would cancel later. I asked why it was so hard to cancel by phone - but we could join easily via the internet. She got all snotty - and said i should be gratefull she was going to do it for me. I said "don't let me keep you from you tea and biscuits - i thought you were getting paid to do it".

The call ended and i immediatley backed up my cancellation request via email.

Fast forward 3 months and they were still helping themselves to my money. I wrote to them,but they denied i had cancelled. They acknowledged my phone call - but said i had called to tell them i wanted to stay. Why would anyone phone to say that.

Anyway, capital one got me my money back, and a month extra. Heard its gone up from 6.99 per month to 14.99 now - not sure if its true because they hide the price on their site.

So a company that protects us from fraudulant financial activity - thinks its ok to take money from our card they have no right to. So who's gonna protect us from them????? They also spy on everyone now, for the government. Big Brother is watching you!!!!!!

Last edited by techspec; 23-02-2012 at 8:26 PM.
# 17
jetblack61
Old 29-02-2012, 6:04 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Have just phoned to cancel my credit report with experian, having got the PIN through the post this morning which means I can actually log in and view the report...viewed it...and now cancelling it!

Phoned 0800 5610083 (17.50pm, Wednesday), and got through to a very helpful guy called Kane, he asked me why I wanted to cancel, so said I just wanted to have a general look at my report, that I'd now done that and didn't need it anymore; then he asked if I was looking at it for anything in particular, so I said 'no particular reason'; then he asked whether I wanted to continue with just the score report at xx per month, or the ID insurance at xx per month, to which I said I didn't want to continue with anything that would cost me money, and that was it.

No hard sell, no making me feel bad, just helpful, clear and sorted. Should get an email to say it's been cancelled, and then when my 30-day trial actually runs out, I'll get another email to say it's been cancelled and no money will be taken from my account.

So, let's hope it really is that simple and it does indeed get cancelled as he said! Will post if I get any further problems!
# 18
robert12
Old 11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Cancel experian credit report

TO CANCEL UR EXPERIAN CREDIT REPORT ALL U HAVE TO DO IS CALL THIS NUMBER 0844 481 0800 AND PRESS OPTION 4 THATS WHAT I DID AND IT GOT CANCELLED RIGHT AWAY HOPES THIS HELPS U GUYS
# 19
Gordon Hose
Old 11-05-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert12 View Post
TO CANCEL UR EXPERIAN CREDIT REPORT ALL U HAVE TO DO IS CALL THIS NUMBER 0844 481 0800 AND PRESS OPTION 4 THATS WHAT I DID AND IT GOT CANCELLED RIGHT AWAY HOPES THIS HELPS U GUYS
Someone has already given the correct freephone number above.

Please read the thread before jumping in and spouting incorrect information. Calling 0844 numbers is hardly "moneysaving" is it??
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hose For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
delsus
Old 26-06-2012, 12:21 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Well I wanted to cancel my membership, I attempted by email and got this reply

Quote:
THIS IS AN AUTOMATED RESPONSE. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL.

Thank you for your email.

If you would like to cancel your membership, please call us on free phone 0800 561 0083.

Our opening hours are Monday to Friday 9am until 6pm and Saturday 9am until 1pm.

Before cancelling your membership, we would like to remind you that we do receive regular updates from lenders, so it is likely that your credit report will change. As a member of CreditExpert, you can check your report as often as you like.

Being an active member of the CreditExpert service allows you to easily check your report before you apply for credit to make sure everything is up to date.

If you do cancel your membership, you can easily rejoin CreditExpert any time that you need to.

If you have a specific question about the information held on your credit report, please use this form: [link removed]. We will respond to report queries as quickly as possible.
I also only use a mobile, and I really don't want to talk about anything to do with my finances in the middle of a street in a phone box, I waited for a reply but never got one. I sent an email yesterday requesting contact when they were trying to take the money but they couldn't (I should have done this sooner, I know) and low and behold today (after they said they would try again in a couple of days) its gone, so I sent another email today, the first auto reply said they aim to contact me within three days, and today's says 2 weeks. I also have charges to leave my account this week so yeah I could go over my limit because they refuse to reply to an email marked urgent.

They just seem like money grabbers to me, yes I know what they do but give me a damn online way of canceling my membership, not call a number that will cost me an arm and a leg on my mobile.

Had to remove links because I am a new member.