Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > In my home (includes DIY) MoneySaving > Modern vertical radiator ideas for kitchen (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Modern vertical radiator ideas for kitchen
Closed Thread
Views: 4,847
# 1
jpsid
Old 16-09-2011, 5:13 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Modern vertical radiator ideas for kitchen

We are looking for a new, modern looking slimline vertical radiator for our kitchen ideally stainless steel or chrome. Our plumber input the kitchen dimensions (4.7m x 4.2m) into a hand held calculator which showed we need a mininum of 1900 watt output. Based on the size of the room and the fact that we have 3 large Velux windows in a vaulted ceiling (which we may lose heat from) he recommended a convecting radiator, but from those that I have seen online they look quite bulky and white.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of nice looking modern radiators with the output we need?

Thank you.
# 2
Dan_Iggulden
Old 16-09-2011, 5:17 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsid View Post
We are looking for a new, modern looking slimline vertical radiator for our kitchen ideally stainless steel or chrome. Our plumber input the kitchen dimensions (4.7m x 4.2m) into a hand held calculator which showed we need a mininum of 1900 watt output. Based on the size of the room and the fact that we have 3 large Velux windows in a vaulted ceiling (which we may lose heat from) he recommended a convecting radiator, but from those that I have seen online they look quite bulky and white.

Does anyone have any recommendations or experience of nice looking modern radiators with the output we need?

Thank you.
I am just about to buy a vertical radiator for our kitchen actually!

We had an extension done and there is no radiator at all in the kitchen, we need around 6000 BTU's for effective heating!
I am going to buy one from eBay, there are loads on there for good prices, anything between 150-200.
# 3
jpsid
Old 16-09-2011, 5:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks - Would you mind posting a link for the rads you are looking at please. We will require around 6400 btu's.
# 4
Dan_Iggulden
Old 16-09-2011, 5:42 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Ebay item: 160648415923 is the one I think I am getting.

Do not buy from ibathuk on eBay, they sell lots of radiators, I ordered one two weeks ago in auction, to be told they had no stock, why was it is auction then?! Anyway, emailed me yesterday to say no stock until November 8th, disgusting really!
# 5
Mayflower10cat
Old 16-09-2011, 5:44 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Something like this??
http://www.screwfix.com/p/atlas-desi...-x-530mm/71589#

We bought our towel radiator from Screwfix for our new little cloakroom on the recommendation of our heating engineer. The one we originally bought (for only a few s less) from a certain high street DIY chain he pronounced - 'utter rubbish' and pointed out that there were already signs of rust on it, which was true.
# 6
PeggyAnn
Old 16-09-2011, 6:11 PM
MoneySaving Convert

We're looking at radiators ourselves at the moment for our cottage renovation/extension and are probably going to buy from www.traderadiators.com. Not having used them before I can't comment on their products/service but they do have a massive range.

It seems that chrome radiators are a lot less efficient than white ones, whilst you can also get black and anthracite. There's a calculator for the wattage you need on the trade radiators site, but I'm not qualified to comment on its accuracy.

We'd be interested to see what you decide on as it may help us too, and of course others.
# 7
mrschaucer
Old 16-09-2011, 6:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Have a look at the designer rads on the B&Q website. We bought a slimline vertical one from them for the kitchen, Acova I think, high, white, (because it gives out more heat than chrome), lots of thin tubes. The site gives heat specs for the different size rads. Try and buy when they are doing one of their frequent offers!
# 8
mrschaucer
Old 16-09-2011, 7:01 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Just had a look and it's not that easy to see them. Suggest you download the full designer rad brochure from this page
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/templa...p;menu=default
and have a browse. Ours is the Acova Striane Vertical Page 32. Throws out lots of heat.
# 9
Dan_Iggulden
Old 16-09-2011, 7:11 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Yes B&Q are actually very well priced for a retailer, they have a nice range. I'm just hoping the ones on eBay are of half decent quality!
# 10
kabayiri
Old 17-09-2011, 9:10 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyAnn View Post
We're looking at radiators ourselves at the moment for our cottage renovation/extension and are probably going to buy from www.traderadiators.com. Not having used them before I can't comment on their products/service but they do have a massive range.
I bought one of their designer radiators for the new kitchen dining room this summer.

In general I am quite pleased with it, although you have to inspect the item as soon as it arrives. I tried to do this but missed a small dent at the back. On balance I decided to keep the product.
# 11
PeggyAnn
Old 17-09-2011, 10:55 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabayiri View Post
I bought one of their designer radiators for the new kitchen dining room this summer.

In general I am quite pleased with it, although you have to inspect the item as soon as it arrives. I tried to do this but missed a small dent at the back. On balance I decided to keep the product.
In my experience few drivers will wait long enough for a sufficiently thorough inspection.

Some firms say that signing unchecked isn't acceptable. This seems to be passing on the terms and conditions imposed by their carriers.

My feeling is that this is a try on by the carriers, and that these terms and conditions don't supercede the law and would therefore probably be unenforceable.

Indeed, we had a situation like this in our family last year. When explained in this way the company backed down, perhaps helped by our raising of a dispute with the credit card company.

What do others feel?

Last edited by PeggyAnn; 17-09-2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: added probably
# 12
kabayiri
Old 17-09-2011, 11:25 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggyAnn View Post
In my experience few drivers will wait long enough for a sufficiently thorough inspection.

Some firms say that signing unchecked isn't acceptable. This seems to be passing on the terms and conditions imposed by their carriers.

My feeling is that this is a try on by the carriers, and that these terms and conditions don't supercede the law and would therefore probably be unenforceable.

Indeed, we had a situation like this in our family last year. When explained in this way the company backed down, perhaps helped by our raising of a dispute with the credit card company.

What do others feel?
It is a kop out I think.

You should have seen the amount of bubble wrap the radiator came in! It takes about 30 minutes to strip it all away!
# 13
jpsid
Old 17-09-2011, 5:32 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Thanks everyone. B&Q could be worth a visit then!

Are there any particular brands we should/should not be looking at?
Closed Thread