IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
APCOA Parking fines LUTON AIRPORT
Views: 15,252
# 1
Daisycat
Old 13-09-2011, 12:17 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default APCOA Parking fines LUTON AIRPORT

We've read lots of your messages about this & they reflect our experience exactly with an 'out of the blue' accusation re 'alleged car parking offence'. We were reassured by your comments.
However, this morning we had a phone call from 'Graham White Solicitors' asking to speak to the car owner - we have previously appealed so they have our address (not that of the car owner).
Has anyone else got as far as a phone call from these people? has anyone actually been taken to court?
Reply With Quote Report Post
# 2
Sirdan
Old 13-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisycat View Post
We've read lots of your messages about this & they reflect our experience exactly with an 'out of the blue' accusation re 'alleged car parking offence'. We were reassured by your comments.
However, this morning we had a phone call from 'Graham White Solicitors' asking to speak to the car owner - we have previously appealed so they have our address (not that of the car owner).
Has anyone else got as far as a phone call from these people? has anyone actually been taken to court?
I haven't but many do.(Get phone calls that is ..APCOA don't do court)

Graham White are in fact just Roxburghe, a Debt Collection Agency (and you can tell them so if you speak to them).

You are not obliged to speak to them but they have a habit of phoning back again and again...unless you tell them this simple fact :

Firstly you are recording the call from this time on (they hate that)

The "debt" is expressly denied.

As such Roxburghe / Graham White are not allowed to continue to pursue the "debt" they must refer it back to their client APCOA.

This is a requirement of the Office of Fair Trading Guidelines on debt collection.

You may wish to remind them that at this time the OfT are minded to revoke their license ..probably because of this sort of behaviour.

Also point out to them that continued phone calls for a denied "debt" is harassment which is a criminal offence and if they continue they will be hearing from a REAL Solicitor i.e. yours re the harassment.

Phone down..and relax.

Last edited by Sirdan; 13-09-2011 at 2:12 PM. Reason: Clarity
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirdan For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Inflatable Armadillo
Old 13-09-2011, 12:39 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisycat View Post
Quick answer from me and more expereicnced posters will give you more details on what to say next time they call, but yes Graham White/Roxburghe (because it is the same office... remember, this is a scam, this is just another tactic!) do call people and it just another threatening tactic.

The issue, as you probably now know, is that you 'engaged' with them and fell for the 'appeal' element of the scam to make it appear you have some sort of recourse, you don't, they turn all 'appeals'. They have you down now as a possible soft touch, so you will probably get a few more calls and stuff, but if you follow the advice from the posters on this forum, they will be off your back very soon.
# 4
Inflatable Armadillo
Old 13-09-2011, 1:04 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Top tactic from JCook on this MSE parking thread http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...583539&page=17 on 'recording' the next call you have from Graham White. He didn't even get to deny the debt before they put the phone down on him!
# 5
Daisycat
Old 28-09-2011, 11:34 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Wink

Many thanks from all of you who replied - very reassuring & can sleep better!
Best wishes - Daisycat.
# 6
afshah
Old 08-12-2011, 7:52 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Help needed!

Hi, Please advise us on APCOA parking fines. We read the comments and the advice people have given on the forum. We ignored the two different fines of £80.00 each. After a month we received aother two letters now from Roxburghe Debt Collectors with the new fines of £122.00 each. We also ignored these. After a couple of weeks we received another two letters now from Graham White Solicitors. Now the cost had gone up to £207.25 each. Also this we ignored with great difficulty. Then we got a phone call from Apcoa at home. We started talking about the parking fine at Luton airport, I asked how they got my phone number but they wouldn’t answer that. I asked if they have any proof of anyone getting in or out of the car in question, the answer was, it will cost £10.00 to get a proof by post or if I give them my email address it would be free. But I didn’t want to give my email address. By then I was so upset I told them the car in question did not belong to me but to my wife. Then my wife started getting calls on her mobile, she ignored them, but we don’t know how they got her mobile number. Well this morning my wife received a letter from Roxburghe Debt Collector asking her to call the office to discuss amicable solution and payment. But for one of the Reference no. quoted, we have a receipt of parking (only thing is there is 2 minute difference between receipt and time on fine.) Well please can anyone advise us what to do now urgently please…..
# 7
Trebor16
Old 08-12-2011, 8:30 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by afshah View Post
Hi, Please advise us on APCOA parking fines. We read the comments and the advice people have given on the forum. We ignored the two different fines of £80.00 each. After a month we received aother two letters now from Roxburghe Debt Collectors with the new fines of £122.00 each. We also ignored these. After a couple of weeks we received another two letters now from Graham White Solicitors. Now the cost had gone up to £207.25 each. Also this we ignored with great difficulty. Then we got a phone call from Apcoa at home. We started talking about the parking fine at Luton airport, I asked how they got my phone number but they wouldn’t answer that. I asked if they have any proof of anyone getting in or out of the car in question, the answer was, it will cost £10.00 to get a proof by post or if I give them my email address it would be free. But I didn’t want to give my email address. By then I was so upset I told them the car in question did not belong to me but to my wife. Then my wife started getting calls on her mobile, she ignored them, but we don’t know how they got her mobile number. Well this morning my wife received a letter from Roxburghe Debt Collector asking her to call the office to discuss amicable solution and payment. But for one of the Reference no. quoted, we have a receipt of parking (only thing is there is 2 minute difference between receipt and time on fine.) Well please can anyone advise us what to do now urgently please…..
Yes, ignore them. If they call again tell them you dispute the debt and they will have to refer it back to Apcoa.

There are plenty of threads here, including a long one about Luton Airport. Read through it to give you some peace of mind.
The Following User Says Thank You to Trebor16 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
Coupon-mad
Old 08-12-2011, 11:47 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by afshah View Post

It's not a fine at all. It's a scam - read this whole thread, I haven't a clue why you are so panicked TBH with all the info and links on here.

Also when you have read this thread, then go back a step to the current forum view and read the sticky threads at the top of the sub-forum 'welcome, please read before posting' and 'PPC letters, what to expect'.

Stop calling it a fine and stop taking their calls and talking about what they want to talk about! Next time they call, (DO NOT waste your money ringing them!!) tell them what YOU want to say: 'The alleged debt is denied and any further contact will be deemed harassment. Goodbye' Phone down.
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coupon-mad For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
vax2002
Old 08-12-2011, 11:50 PM

You are well within your rights to make the answer simple
tell them to **** OFF and if they think they have a case to answer go to court.
Repeat as many times as required.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vax2002 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
esmerobbo
Old 09-12-2011, 6:42 AM

Dont encourage them by holding a conversation just a simple bye bye or as Vax advised!
# 11
cj1739
Old 23-01-2012, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi.
I've just received a letter from APCOA alleging that I did a drop off/pick up at Luton Airport. I wasn't even at Luton Airport on the day they say I was.
Should I reply saying that I dispute the enforcement notice, explaining that I wasn't at the airport on the day mentioned in their letter, or should I just wait and see what they do next?
Many thanks
# 12
pogofish
Old 23-01-2012, 11:20 AM

Just ignore them and read the APCOA mega-thread, then check the sticky to see what letters to expect.

The advice above is great for phonecalls but the less contact you have now, the less likely they are to bother you further.
The Following User Says Thank You to pogofish For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
esmerobbo
Old 23-01-2012, 11:33 AM

Apcoa have a habit of getting the wrong VRM at Luton, if you were not there its of no interest to you just let them write their silly letters and ignore them.
The Following User Says Thank You to esmerobbo For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
Oopsadaisy
Old 23-01-2012, 12:16 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Private = ignore, ignore, ignore some more.

Really, truly nothing else about your case is relevant ...simply ignore everything from them.

Yes...I mean it.

Seriously...ignore it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oopsadaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
cj1739
Old 23-01-2012, 5:36 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Hi
Thanks for all the fast replies
I should have said in my earlier post that I did actually stop and pick a friend up on the road at the airport, but it was on the day before the date stated on the letter from APCOA. I picked my friend up on Saturday 10th December, and the letter says I was there on 11th December (a Sunday). Does that make any difference.

I also looked at the Luton Airport website london-luton.co.uk/en/content/7/166/car-park-information.html
It says there:
"An £80 enforcement charge is payable by drivers who stop their vehicles to drop off or pick up passengers on the approach roads, roundabout, or bus lane leading up to the Airport terminal. This charge is reduced to £40 if paid within 14 days."
Again, is this something that affects things?

Thanks again
# 16
The Slithy Tove
Old 23-01-2012, 5:51 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1739 View Post
I also looked at the Luton Airport website london-luton.co.uk/en/content/7/166/car-park-information.html
It says there:
"An £80 enforcement charge is payable by drivers who stop their vehicles to drop off or pick up passengers on the approach roads, roundabout, or bus lane leading up to the Airport terminal. This charge is reduced to £40 if paid within 14 days."
Not a jot. It's a random "condition" that a private company is trying to impose on you, and issuing penlaties if you don't. Such penalties (even if they try using the words enforcement charge) are not enforceable in law.

Treat it the same was as a parking charge from a private company, i.e. ignore it.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Slithy Tove For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Coupon-mad
Old 23-01-2012, 6:45 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Hi
I should have said in my earlier post that I did actually stop and pick a friend up on the road at the airport, but it was on the day before the date stated on the letter from APCOA. I picked my friend up on Saturday 10th December, and the letter says I was there on 11th December (a Sunday). Does that make any difference.

It says there:

Thanks again

Nope. Ignore it even if they had got the date right.

Only ever take seriously tickets from the Police, TFL, Councils (and certain tickets from TOCs such as Northern Rail who now enforce some of these).
Ticket in a private car park in England/Wales?... DON'T PAY IT BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT- the advice changed in 2012/13!

CLICK on '>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking>' end of the small blue 'Home>Forums>' link, top of the page, to see current threads.
Do NOT read older advice to ignore, unless it was in Scotland or NI.
# 18
Oopsadaisy
Old 23-01-2012, 11:34 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Hi

It says there:

Thanks again
Private = ignore, ignore, ignore some more.

Really, truly nothing else about your case is relevant ...simply ignore everything from them.

Yes...I mean it.

Seriously...ignore it all.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oopsadaisy For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
ajb2012
Old 16-02-2012, 5:25 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default APCOA parking fines

in oct 2011 i dropped off my partner at luton airport, it was for 10 seconds on the side of a rd. 2 months later i get a letter from roxburghe statingi had 'illigally parked' and that i hadn't replied to a letter sent to me from apcoa (which i never received) and my time to appeal had run out, and that i now owed £122.
i asked for proof of my aleged parking offense, and they sent me photos of me 'dropping someone off, not parking' i must have been there for no longer then 10 seconds as there was 2 photos taken 10 seconds apart. i then wrote a letter to apcoa stating that i was happy to pay £40 which was the price of the orginal fine (had i received the letter) and sent a cheque along with it. they have now sent me a letter stating to contact roxburghe along with my returned cheque.
i called roxburghe and told them that i hadn't received the orginal letter therefore i felt happy to pay the £40, as there was evidence i had 'dropped someone off for 10seconds in a no drop off/pick up point' and when visiting the scene found there was a sign, although i did not notice it previously. Roxburghe were very rude, said that there was no way they'd reduce the fine, and when i said i'd call back the next day instead of paying for it, the man said i had wasted his time and put the phone down!!!!

my point is that i would agree to pay the £40 fine had i received the letter, but due to not getting it, i now owe £122. i wish i'd read these posts before contacting them, as now i'm not sure if i've made matters worse!
any advice would be grately received!!!!
# 20
trisontana
Old 16-02-2012, 5:29 PM

From now on just ignore them. Nothing will happen. Finally it's not a FINE, it's an unenforceable index.
I am an "internet guru" (copyright Stephan Hall @ UKCPS)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trisontana For This Useful Post: Show me >>