IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
That last half inch....?
Views: 4,358
# 1
valk_scot
Old 13-09-2011, 9:03 AM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Default That last half inch....?

Does anyone else get as compulsive as me about using up that last half inch in the bottom of a jar of jam or bottle of hair conditioner? My family think it's very funny that mum will spend time in the morning scraping out the inside of the mayo jar for a last two sandwiches rather than open another jar that day, or that conditioner/shampoo bottles get turned upside down to get another hairwash or two out of them. I even rinse tins of food out with a tablespoonful of water to get the dregs out to add to the pan of food and yup, I do that thing with a teaspoon of vinegar in the ketchup bottle to get the last drop out too.

Now as I said, my family think it's funny that mum is such a skinflint. I just laugh back at them and say it's moneysaving. But then I got to wondering...how many other folk do the same? Am I really that mean?????
Val.

C.R.A.P R.O.L.L.Z Member #22 Chief Kale Knitter & Sheep Spinner.
Reply With Quote Report Post
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to valk_scot For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
JulieGeorgiana
Old 13-09-2011, 9:09 AM

I do most of that. I don't put vinigar in ketchup or open toothpaste tubes (I think open toothpaste is unhygenic), but all shampoo goes upside down, I open my washing gel packs, scrape the jars empty, and always rinse my tins with a little water to get all the stuff out! I put washing liquid in soap dispensers, but rinse them to get the last drop when empty, same with hand soap. Oh and I open mayonaise/ketchup squeezy pots to scrape the last bits out!

My family don't think I'm odd or different or a skinflint, just sensible. I never thought of it as being cheap, just frugal.
We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
Overpayments Made: 3591.22 - Interest Saved: 7900.64 - Months Saved: 16
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JulieGeorgiana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
Maggie Bob
Old 13-09-2011, 9:13 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I keep a tube of handcream on my desk at work (the air conditioning seems to really dry my skin), and I can usually make it last an extra week by cutting the top off (when the cream stops squeezing out) and just scooping some cream out with my finger.

I completely believe in getting every last drop out of jars and tubes - my Dad once told me that Mr Hellman's (or whoever) claimed they made all their money from the sauce that people don't use - ie the excess on your plate and left in the jar!
In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Final loan payment May 2014 - then the challenge is to stay debt free!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Maggie Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 4
Need2bthrifty
Old 13-09-2011, 9:14 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

I'm with you Valk_scot, spatula's are great for getting the last of the mayo out of the jar.

Bottles are upended on top of the replacement to allow the dregs to run in and I have been known to cut tubes of toothpaste, face/handcrean in half to scrape out what always sticks to the inside of the tube

I just see it as setting a good example your kids will appreciate your efforts one day
January GC - 44.03/60.00
January NSD's = 23/31
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Need2bthrifty For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
MRSTITTLEMOUSE
Old 13-09-2011, 9:27 AM

You pay for it,so you may as well use it.
I do it with everything I can.
Maggie Bob I'm with you on the hand cream thing .
I've even got some specially designed jar scrapers I bought from Lakeland very cheaply some time ago that does the scraping job extremely well.
How sad is that.
Seriously though why waste stuff.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MRSTITTLEMOUSE For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
MaggieBaking
Old 13-09-2011, 9:46 AM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

My mum uses the lakeland scrapers and things their marvellous. I'm not one for scratching to get the last out of things, I don't use many jars and I'll use water to swill the last of some cheat sauces or shampoo.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/1864/Jar-Busters

Last edited by MaggieBaking; 13-09-2011 at 9:48 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MaggieBaking For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
MaLarkin
Old 13-09-2011, 10:00 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Yes to all the above, my family think it's funny.

Only thing that worries me is that I might go a bit extreme if I was living alone. One place I used to live had an old fashioned indoor market and a man (not homeless) used to go in every day and pick up the bit of sandwiches etc from the cafe. Always refused if someone offered him money or to buy him a sandwich. Just said he couldn't stand waste.

Did he start by upending bottles I wonder?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MaLarkin For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
lostinrates
Old 13-09-2011, 10:10 AM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieGeorgiana View Post
(I think open toothpaste is unhygenic), .

t bh, its going in my mouth, which as well as being pretty yucky in its own right, flaps open enough to pick up anything a tube of tooth past cut open might. a cut open tube lasts me at least a week, sometimes more (I'm not very strong to squeeze last dregs out...) but.....I do put it in a tupperware anyway!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lostinrates For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
JulieGeorgiana
Old 13-09-2011, 10:28 AM

lostinrates it's a good point, but I have always been funny about toothpaste and brushing teeth (I can't be in the same room as someone else!). After suggesting to my OH a year ago about cutting open toothpaste he is the one who does it and uses it, I kind of freak out and chuck it...

It's my weird thing and I accept that
We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
Overpayments Made: 3591.22 - Interest Saved: 7900.64 - Months Saved: 16
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JulieGeorgiana For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 10
Margaret52129
Old 13-09-2011, 10:34 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

We as a family always do this. We have a challenge on who can get the last squeeze of toothpaste out! Don't go that far to open it though!

When my DD2 was at uni - her flatmates were amazed at how much she got out of the finished (to them) jars/tubes etc! They were all from pretty monied families (one of whom even had maids!!!) so if they needed something they just got it - scraping out jars etc was simply something they had never done, whereas my DD2 knew that every penny she spent was hard earned and not to be frittered away by waste.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Margaret52129 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 11
Reverbe
Old 13-09-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaLarkin View Post
Yes to all the above, my family think it's funny.

?
would they think it so funny if the money was coming out of their pockets??

TBH ma I cant stand to see the waste either. I reg walk past KFC as it is nexxt to Tescos and the amount of food waste there is shocking.. esp when you think that a burger costs what I spend on several meals.
What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reverbe For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 12
Maggie Bob
Old 13-09-2011, 11:15 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saver0811 View Post
It was Colmans.....mustard.
That's the one - thank you!

(Guess I should have listened to my Dad more )
In a better financial position than ever before (thank you MSE!). Final loan payment May 2014 - then the challenge is to stay debt free!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Maggie Bob For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 13
culpepper
Old 13-09-2011, 11:25 AM

Me too!
I use a spoon for the marmite /bovril jars.
They are shaped that way specifically for that reason.
I fold puree tubes as evenly as possible too when getting it out because they are metal and will leave pockets of puree inaccessible if not rolled evenly.
Toothpaste is not so bad these days because the tubes are now soft plastic,you can push a thumb into the shoulder of the tube from outside and the pressure gets the corners emptied.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to culpepper For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 14
minerva_windsong
Old 13-09-2011, 11:44 AM

I am the girl who will cut the tops off squeezy body lotion/scrub tubes just to be sure I've got it all out - my theory being that this stuff costs money and therefore I'm going to get the use out of it! I do it with jars/tubs of food as well but not to the extent I do with toiletries.
Getting married to my best friend 1st November 2014
"I don't want a fashionable wedding, but only those about me whom I love, and to them I wish to look and be my familiar self.' - Meg March, Little Women

No More Toiletries! 31/3/14 - 170 (16 IN, 27 OUT) Spend 56.73
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to minerva_windsong For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 15
prudencekitten
Old 13-09-2011, 12:08 PM
MoneySaving Convert

I bought a pack of icecream spoons with long handles very cheaply in Poundstretcher - invaluable for scraping out jars and you don't get your hands messy from the top of the jar. :-)
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to prudencekitten For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 16
Margaret52129
Old 13-09-2011, 12:52 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

The worse bottles ever to get the last stuff out of is my face serum (Aldi's). The pump stops working near the bottom and even if I turn the bottle upside down, the stuff never moves and it's too narrow a neck to get a finger down, but too long for a cotton bud! SOOOOOOO annoying!

In fact I really don't like any pump action bottles as there is always something left at the bottom that you can never get out!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Margaret52129 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 17
Steel
Old 13-09-2011, 1:00 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret52129 View Post
The worse bottles ever to get the last stuff out of is my face serum (Aldi's). The pump stops working near the bottom and even if I turn the bottle upside down, the stuff never moves and it's too narrow a neck to get a finger down, but too long for a cotton bud! SOOOOOOO annoying!

In fact I really don't like any pump action bottles as there is always something left at the bottom that you can never get out!
That's where a baby hacksaw comes in handy (or strong scissors if the plastic is thin enough). I cut about a third to a half off the container and then wrap it in clingfilm to keep the contents from drying out.

I've even been known to pull off the 'straw' of the pump and blow the contents back in to the container.

With tubes I flatten them out and use the back of a knife to scrape up and force the tube flat to squeeze the contents up near the top.

There is no packaging I can't savage for the last drops, regardless of how clever the manufacturers think they have been.
"carpe that diem"

Last edited by Steel; 13-09-2011 at 1:07 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Steel For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 18
exlibris
Old 13-09-2011, 1:26 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

I top up the dregs of a thickish moisturing cream with a thinner one to get the last bits out. This I usually use as hand cream.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to exlibris For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 19
JackieO
Old 13-09-2011, 1:38 PM
Deliciously Dedicated Diehard MoneySaving Devotee

Yup me too I also scrape as much as I can from any jars or bottles after all I paid for it and I'm not throwing stuff away just because I can't get to it .Re marmite jars when I've got as much as I can out I will top up with boiling water ,give it a shake to clean it and then put in a jug in the fridge to use when making gravy next
R.I.P Alan 1933-2003
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JackieO For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 20
MaggieBaking
Old 13-09-2011, 1:39 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret52129 View Post

If it's anything like the old toothpaste pump things, I used to jam a toothbrush up the bottom of it and push hard whilst holding the tube with the other hand and trying to navigate it onto a toothbrush

Was a bit of a palava. Perhaps you could try something similar into a an old pot of moisturiser and just keep going till it's empty and then use it from the pot for a week?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MaggieBaking For This Useful Post: Show me >>