Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 10th Sep 11, 7:46 PM
    • 521Posts
    • 530Thanks
    sugarcube84
    On the up (Hopefully)
    • 10th Sep 11, 7:46 PM
    On the up (Hopefully) 10th Sep 11 at 7:46 PM
    We had our lightbulb moment at the beginning of the week when hubby had to extend his overdraft (not as dire as it seems as he is due to get paid for a big job hes just finished) Anyway it prompted us to have a proper sit down and go through our finances, ive been aware that we needed to do something radical to stop it getting any worse but hubby was doing the head in sand thing and thinking it would go away.

Anyway i already had a spreadsheet going (basically a SOA) and we have identifed areas we can cut back or cancel.- reduced mobile tariffs
    - Cancel phone insurance
    - ebay items we dont use, including new phone upgrade (got £330!!! ebay total around £360 after fees)
    - Joined the library
    - switched off all the appliances i can at the wall
    - changed energy providers (saved £90 a year)
    - looked at changing the 4x4 but we need something that can tow for the business and insurance/tax/mot/diesel compared with a estate it still worked out cheaper
    - looking at forecasting hubbys wage better, i have given hubby some basic cashflow forecasting lessons.
    - made all meals from the cupboard this week we have had some interesting meals!! Involving lots of tinned sweetcorn bizzarely!!
    - had packed lunches everyday
    - sat down and made a meal planner so i dont overshop and waste food
    - got new house rules such as branded stuff to be avoided, no coke have squash or water, no bottle of wine a week.No lunches from shops or fast food during . No takeaways or meals out. Only go to cinema with a 2 for 1. No buying magazines/newspapers/treats etc from shop.
    - Try and use my car as much as possible (company car & 50mpg)
    - Charge phone in work
    - walk to shop

Think thats it i will add anything else i think of

Debts wise we have got

Natwest Loan £1898
    MBNA Credit Card £2485 0%
    Halifax £4800ish (which was for the car 0%)
    Barcalycard £100 (should pay off next month)

Hubby also has an overdraft which looks worse than it is (£2474) as he hasnt been paid.

We have a long way to go but i feel really positive that now hubby has woken up to how bad things are that will be the kick up the bum he needs to Stop spending!!

Another thing i found useful was printing out his statement and highlight and adding up all those little just popping to the shop items he was really shocked that he was spending £8 a day on nothing!!

Hopefully this will keep me on track and remind me where i started from.
    Target DFD September 2017- Only 2 payments to go!!!

Amount Paid off 90.37%
Page 17
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 19th Jun 17, 10:30 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Thumbs up form the mortgage broker all our paperwork is in order, no queries from him on anything. The paperwork will be reviewed again by the admin team and then they will submit the application probably tomorrow or Wednesday.

Amount Paid off 90.37%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 21st Jun 17, 3:39 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Mortgage application submitted and the survey on the house we are buying has been carried out, doesn't look like any issues have cropped up (yey!!!) survey on our current house tomorrow.
    Kepping everything crossed!!

Amount Paid off 90.37%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 28th Jun 17, 12:11 PM
    • 521 Posts
    • 530 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Mortgage valuation day today eeek

Amount Paid off 90.37%
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

353Posts Today

2,668Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • You're right, of course. How silly of me. After all, all my work is solely focused on my own personal circumstance? https://t.co/m6DHzFUjzg

• RT @ARJMOR: @MartinSLewis It may well be kind of random, but the algorithm used has a bias to the unpopular seats.

• It seems what Ryanair is saying is "don't pay and we leave you the seats we don't think people want and they're in the middle."

• Follow Martin