Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 10th Sep 11, 7:46 PM
    • 541Posts
    • 549Thanks
    sugarcube84
    On the up (Hopefully)
    • 10th Sep 11, 7:46 PM
    On the up (Hopefully) 10th Sep 11 at 7:46 PM
    We had our lightbulb moment at the beginning of the week when hubby had to extend his overdraft (not as dire as it seems as he is due to get paid for a big job hes just finished) Anyway it prompted us to have a proper sit down and go through our finances, ive been aware that we needed to do something radical to stop it getting any worse but hubby was doing the head in sand thing and thinking it would go away.

Anyway i already had a spreadsheet going (basically a SOA) and we have identifed areas we can cut back or cancel.- reduced mobile tariffs
    - Cancel phone insurance
    - ebay items we dont use, including new phone upgrade (got £330!!! ebay total around £360 after fees)
    - Joined the library
    - switched off all the appliances i can at the wall
    - changed energy providers (saved £90 a year)
    - looked at changing the 4x4 but we need something that can tow for the business and insurance/tax/mot/diesel compared with a estate it still worked out cheaper
    - looking at forecasting hubbys wage better, i have given hubby some basic cashflow forecasting lessons.
    - made all meals from the cupboard this week we have had some interesting meals!! Involving lots of tinned sweetcorn bizzarely!!
    - had packed lunches everyday
    - sat down and made a meal planner so i dont overshop and waste food
    - got new house rules such as branded stuff to be avoided, no coke have squash or water, no bottle of wine a week.No lunches from shops or fast food during . No takeaways or meals out. Only go to cinema with a 2 for 1. No buying magazines/newspapers/treats etc from shop.
    - Try and use my car as much as possible (company car & 50mpg)
    - Charge phone in work
    - walk to shop

Think thats it i will add anything else i think of

Debts wise we have got

Natwest Loan £1898
    MBNA Credit Card £2485 0%
    Halifax £4800ish (which was for the car 0%)
    Barcalycard £100 (should pay off next month)

Hubby also has an overdraft which looks worse than it is (£2474) as he hasnt been paid.

We have a long way to go but i feel really positive that now hubby has woken up to how bad things are that will be the kick up the bum he needs to Stop spending!!

Another thing i found useful was printing out his statement and highlight and adding up all those little just popping to the shop items he was really shocked that he was spending £8 a day on nothing!!

Hopefully this will keep me on track and remind me where i started from.
    DFD September 2017
Page 16
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 30th Nov 16, 11:27 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Just been paid today, that makes it only one more pay day to being df!! All the holiday spends has been budgeted for, I've got a to do list a mile long but it's holiday/Christmas/df date coming up in the next 1 1/2 months so i'm getting very giddy!! The only negatives are that I still haven't got my car beck and we have a family funeral to go to.

To Do List- Here Goes!!!

- Change holiday money
    - Buy Sun cream
    - New underwear/bikini
    - Buy Lilo/rubber ring
    - Pay for new kitchen table
    - collect new kitchen table
    - sort out oven connection
    - sort out skirting
    - buy new plates and serving bowls
    - decide on menu for when my dad comes for his early xmas dinner
    - clean house
    - get decs and wrapping paper down from loft
    - put up decs
    - wrap presents
    - buy cards
    - write cards
    - get ds to write his cards
    - buy ds xmas jumper
    - sort secret santa present
    - post secret santa present
    - finish presents for dad/niece/sil
    - sort out dog sitter
    - get suitcases from loft
    - pack

I've probably forgotten loads but I've checked the banks this morning and moved all the money around and updated my budget so that's a big one crossed off before it even made it on the list!!
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 8th Dec 16, 2:49 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Update on my monster list, while i'm at home ill :-(

To Do List

- Change holiday money
    - Buy Sun cream- Done
    - New underwear/bikini- Done
    - Buy Lilo/rubber ring - Done
    - Pay for new kitchen table -paid through paypal delayed until delivery
    - sort out oven connection - Hopefully tomorrow
    - sort out skirting Hopefully tomorrow
    - buy new plates and serving bowls
    - decide on menu for when my dad comes for his early xmas dinner -sorted
    - clean house- mostly done, need to scrub kitchen floor and then a quick hoover/mop through
    - get decs and wrapping paper down from loft- done
    - put up decs- tree up being decorated tonight
    - wrap presents -done
    - buy cards -done
    - write cards- half done
    - buy ds xmas jumper- done
    - sort secret santa present - done
    - post secret santa present
    - finish presents for dad/niece/sil -done
    - sort out dog sitter
    - pack

Not doing so bad, a few extra below

- sort pony present
    - sort friend and family present
    - put decoration boxes back in the loft
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 15th Dec 16, 12:27 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Signature updated :-)

To Do List

- Change holiday money done collecting on monday
    - sort out oven connection - done!!!!
    - sort out skirting not yet
    - buy new plates and serving bowls done
    - clean house- done
    - put up decs- done
    - write cards- done
    - post secret santa present done
    - sort out dog sitter
    - pack

Not doing so bad, a few extra below

- sort pony present
    - sort friend and family present
    - put decoration boxes back in the loft
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 13th Jan 17, 1:51 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Just when it was all going so well dh loses his job :-( so that means we aren't quite df this month, i'll update my signature. I had to reduce the last 2 payments to the cards so they will be paid off next month instead, that should give us some breathing room for dh to find a job.

On better news we had a lovely holiday and xmas /new year in the sun was brilliant.
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 24th Jan 17, 1:37 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Well we have made a big decision, dh isn't going to find a second job to replace the one he lost instead he is going to up the hours at his part time job (nights) and then do the school runs, saving us £4k a year in childcare and concentrate on finishing off the house so we can get it up for sale. It's been working well for us the last week and its so much better for my job as it means I don't have to leave at 4.30 to get to school for 6, he has also been tidying/cleaning the house and cooking at night as well as sorting homework/uniform etc for ds.

It might mean not quite as much money coming in, but we have a better family balance.
    DFD September 2017
    • AspiringButAnxious
    • By AspiringButAnxious 24th Jan 17, 1:50 PM
    • 615 Posts
    • 2,488 Thanks
    AspiringButAnxious
    That sounds like a great solution. I know it might not sound MSE to say so, at least on the face of it, but there are considerations which make staying in debt and/or having less money worth more in terms of happiness. Your new plan seems to be saving you a lot of stress — probably more so than being able to get debt free quicker but struggling in other ways. Good luck
    Rainy day fund — 580/500 Emergency fund — 1009/1000
    Loan — 100/19,300 = 0.5% Fun fund: 10 Credit card balance — 0
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 25th Jan 17, 2:08 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    To be fair a big part of us making the decision was that this time next month we will be debt free. We still owe some money to my mum for the holiday but we are saving that up and giving it to her in one big chunk in June that's how she requested it but no more card payments, store cards or overdrafts!!
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 6th Apr 17, 2:55 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Not updated for ages!! Everything is going well with the new arrangement we have more time together as a family and we have finished off another 2 rooms of the house. Only 2 more to go and then some finishing off outside when the weather improves.

New Job is going great :-) i'm now 8 months in and I've just found out that i'm getting a pay rise and a bonus. Small ones..but better than a kick in the teeth, I wasn't expecting anything as i thought i would have had to have been there for a year. The bonus will help replenish the emergency fund after we had to use it to pay for the new boiler :-(

Had to edit the signature :-( due a number of things all happening in close succession

- boiler breaking and new one fitted £1300
    - car insurance increasing due to claim as it got stolen before xmas £120
    -husband losing job, loss of £400 per month taking into account saving on childcare
    - professional subscription renewal (new company doesn't pay and i forgot to update the SOA ...OOPS) £512

we haven't quite been able to finish paying off the credit card...it's not a massive problem as it's on 0% but as we also had to use the emergency fund (grr nee boiler) our priority now is replenishing the emergency fund again before overpaying the credit card to clear it.

We are also prioritising getting the house finished and balancing paying off the last of the debt v spending on the house and we have come up with a new DFD of September 2017. I know it's a while off but as we are close we have decided to balance family life with debt repayment for once.
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 25th Apr 17, 10:37 AM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    I rang up for a settlement figure on my student loan, it's one thing that i need to get rid of before we look at moving. I can afford to pay it off after pay day on Friday, if i stick to the miniumum payment on the credit card, i spoke to dh about it and he said go for it and get rid of it. So next week i will be student loan free, will save some money on interest and will have another £176 each month to throw at the last credit card/put into the emergency fund.

DH has struggled a bit lately with balancing his current account and has dipped into the dreaded overdraft!! I think it's for a number of reasons
    - he is now at home during the day
    - he lost half his pay when he lost one of his jobs but is still spending as if he has 2
    -honestly has never been very good with money
    - he is now in control of the shopping and the shopping budget and has been overspending because he keeps forgetting to do a big shop and keeps picking enough up for tea that night which is uneconomical

...only 5 1/2 years late he has finally had his lightbulb moment and .....downloaded a spending tracker app!!! and he loves it!!!!

This doesn't mean he hasn't been committed all these years to paying off the debts, he has, but the way we have basically gone about it is that I controlled all the money and gave him spends and petrol money. Now he has more responsibility and is in charge of more and we hit a little bump in the road...but he has recognised and has done something about it. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Onwards and upwards
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 27th Apr 17, 2:57 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Student loan paid off....woohooo!!
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 11th May 17, 3:08 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    DH's spending app seems to be doing the trick, he seems to be much more aware of how the occasional spends can add up and make a big difference.

He has cracked on with the outside of the house while the weather is nice, he should have the front garden finished by the weekend. Then that leaves us with

- finishing fencing behind the garage
    - painting the fence
    - painting the decking
    - jet washing everywhere
    - painting the soffits and fascias
    - replacing a bit of downpipe
    - ridge tiles re pointing

It might look like a long list but will probably only be a weekends worth.

In the house the jobs left to do are

- paint the bathroom
    - decorate our bedroom
    - put up new ceiling light in the kitchen
    - fill holes around sockets in kitchen,
    - buy/fit blinds for kitchen and bathroom
    - get kitchen guy back to finish end panel/boiler housing
    - replace/paint internal doors
    - skirting in kitchen

I've also got a second coat of paint to put on my second-hand wardrobe for ds bedroom and repair/sand/paint a sideboard that I picked up for the front room.

That lots going to keep us busy!!
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 19th May 17, 2:17 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Well we had the house valued today and.......its been valued £10k over where we thought it would be
    they said they had a number of potential interested parties already on their mailing lists and actively looking and that it was decorated in an ideal way to appeal to the broadest market. All in all brilliant news!!

So on to the jobs to finish off

- painting the fence
    - painting the decking
    - jet washing everywhere - DONE
    - paint the bathroom
    - decorate our bedroom - Not sure we are going to bother
    - fill holes around sockets in kitchen- Done
    - buy/fit blinds for kitchen and bathroom
    - replace/paint internal doors
    - skirting in kitchen

So this weekend we will crack on with some more jobs, I've also set up a meeting with a mortgage broker for a when i'm off work in a couple of weeks time...fingers crossed that goes as well as the valuation.
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 22nd May 17, 12:55 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Got home on Friday night to find out that dh had agreed a deal with the estate agents and they are coming taking photos on Friday!!So it has been a busy weekend

- painting the fence
    - painting the decking
    - paint the bathroom- done
    - decorate our bedroom - Not sure we are going to bother, dh needed to move the cutain pole so we now have patched holes so it needs painting
    - buy/fit blinds for kitchen and bathroom- Bought not fitted
    - replace/paint internal doors- 2 done 3 to go
    - skirting in kitchen

I've also put another coat of paint on the wardrobe in ds room and painted the sideboard in the front room, plus sorted out the paint for our bedroom and done a big shop and a meal plan. Feel like going to work for a rest!!
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 25th May 17, 12:02 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    It has been a busy week, had some spending which wasnt included in the budget this month, blinds/topsoil/turf etc but i'll just tweak the budget next month to accomodate.

- painting the fence
    - painting the decking
    - decorate our bedroom - Not sure we are going to bother, dh needed to move the cutain pole so we now have patched holes so it needs painting
    - buy/fit blinds for kitchen and bathroom- Bought and fitted
    - get kitchen guy back to finish end panel/boiler housing - end panel done, boiler housing next week
    - replace/paint internal doors- all done and looking great
    - skirting in kitchen - bought should be fitted today

New Items, things that id forgotton previously!!

- topsoil and turf front garden
    - finish flagging in front of garage
    - stone middle of drive to side of house
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 26th May 17, 1:14 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    House photos done, should get them on Tuesday to review ....exciting :-)

- painting the fence
    - painting the decking
    - decorate our bedroom - Not sure we are going to bother, dh needed to move the curtain pole so we now have patched holes so it needs painting
    - get kitchen guy back to finish boiler housing
    - topsoil and turf front garden- Topsoil done, turf going down today
    - finish flagging in front of garage - Done
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 5th Jun 17, 1:38 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    I had a lovely but busy week off from work. The house is now on the market and we have had 4 viewings so far, we have also potentially found a house eeek!! We also had a positive meeting with a mortgage broker who said that what we are looking to do is well within our affordability and the credit card shouldn't pose a problem even if not paid off. Woohoo. We are just waiting to hear feedback from our viewings...fingers crossed as the house we love isn't on the market and ideally would like to snap it up before it gets put on the market.

- painting the fence
    - painting the decking
    - get kitchen guy back to finish boiler housing
    - topsoil and turf front garden- done
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 7th Jun 17, 3:43 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Heard back from the first viewers but no one else yet, getting a bit worried as I desperately want to stop the house we love making its way onto the market but i'm not sure if they would hold off doing it based on a offer alone when we can't proceed. I'm waiting on the estate agent giving me a ring but she is out of the office until Friday grrrrr.
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 8th Jun 17, 12:33 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Got a second viewing tomorrow with one couple and another have submitted an offer £10k below asking price, we have declined, they then came back with an offer of the asking price however they need an updated AIP/DIP from the mortgage company. Fingers crossed!!!
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 13th Jun 17, 4:48 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Big news... we have accepted an offer on our house and not the asking price offer mentioned previously,the vendors of the house we want to buy now want to buy our house!, so we are (sort of )house swapping. Our offer on their property has been accepted and both offers confirmed in writing.The property we want is one that they rented out so is currently empty, they will use this sale to fund the purchase of ours, they will carry on living in their other property while putting an extension on ours. Thumbs up all round.

All our info is with the mortgage broker, who is reviewing it and then meeting with us Friday to discuss the application/next steps. The solicitors have been instructed so its all system go....it's only been 2 1/2 weeks since it went on the market!

We need to have a chat with them about the jobs we are planning on doing and whether they want us to do them or leave them.

I'm so excited after years of paying off debts we are almost df and have a lovely new house to look forward to or it will be lovely when it has been decorated top to bottom.
    DFD September 2017
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 16th Jun 17, 12:20 PM
    • 541 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    All the solicitor paperwork has been returned just a couple of items outstanding. The certificate for the boiler installation and the receipt for the last groud rent payment. We have arranged a survey for next week as have our buyers. The mortgage broker is coming tonight to go through the mortgage illustration prior to hitting the submit button, fingers crossed but everything seems to be progressing nicely.
    DFD September 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,193Posts Today

6,565Users online

Martin's Twitter