Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 10th Sep 11, 7:46 PM
    • 487Posts
    • 503Thanks
    sugarcube84
    On the up (Hopefully)
    • 10th Sep 11, 7:46 PM
    On the up (Hopefully) 10th Sep 11 at 7:46 PM
    We had our lightbulb moment at the beginning of the week when hubby had to extend his overdraft (not as dire as it seems as he is due to get paid for a big job hes just finished) Anyway it prompted us to have a proper sit down and go through our finances, ive been aware that we needed to do something radical to stop it getting any worse but hubby was doing the head in sand thing and thinking it would go away.

Anyway i already had a spreadsheet going (basically a SOA) and we have identifed areas we can cut back or cancel.- reduced mobile tariffs
    - Cancel phone insurance
    - ebay items we dont use, including new phone upgrade (got £330!!! ebay total around £360 after fees)
    - Joined the library
    - switched off all the appliances i can at the wall
    - changed energy providers (saved £90 a year)
    - looked at changing the 4x4 but we need something that can tow for the business and insurance/tax/mot/diesel compared with a estate it still worked out cheaper
    - looking at forecasting hubbys wage better, i have given hubby some basic cashflow forecasting lessons.
    - made all meals from the cupboard this week we have had some interesting meals!! Involving lots of tinned sweetcorn bizzarely!!
    - had packed lunches everyday
    - sat down and made a meal planner so i dont overshop and waste food
    - got new house rules such as branded stuff to be avoided, no coke have squash or water, no bottle of wine a week.No lunches from shops or fast food during . No takeaways or meals out. Only go to cinema with a 2 for 1. No buying magazines/newspapers/treats etc from shop.
    - Try and use my car as much as possible (company car & 50mpg)
    - Charge phone in work
    - walk to shop

Think thats it i will add anything else i think of

Debts wise we have got

Natwest Loan £1898
    MBNA Credit Card £2485 0%
    Halifax £4800ish (which was for the car 0%)
    Barcalycard £100 (should pay off next month)

Hubby also has an overdraft which looks worse than it is (£2474) as he hasnt been paid.

We have a long way to go but i feel really positive that now hubby has woken up to how bad things are that will be the kick up the bum he needs to Stop spending!!

Another thing i found useful was printing out his statement and highlight and adding up all those little just popping to the shop items he was really shocked that he was spending £8 a day on nothing!!

Hopefully this will keep me on track and remind me where i started from.
    Target DFD January 2017- Only 2 payments to go!!!

Amount Paid off 69.38%
Page 15
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 23rd Jun 16, 2:16 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    No decisions yet regarding the job I'm taking a week to think about it.

In other news I've booked flights for my girly trip to Budapest in August, got cashback as well :-) and ordered a few essentials and a new bag/backpack thing.

I need to pop to @ldi tonight for a few bits and bobs nbut aprt form that everything is as it should be, hubby gets paid tomorrow and then a quiet weekend just swimming and a party for ds. Hopefully the weather will stay nice and we can do a bit in the garden as the grass is getting ridiculous!!

To Do List
    - steam clean bedroom carpet this is going to be done after the decorating
    - finish driveway
    - 3 NSD's 1/3
    - pictures on walls in living room and swap switches/sockets 2 up 1 to go!!
    - power washing
    - order bedroom wallpaper, chosen but not ordered UPDATE I've found a cheaper one and will sort it for the end of June, due to our holiday and my mum who is doing the papering!
    - choose paint and decorate bedroom

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 30th Jun 16, 1:09 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Decision made I'm taking the new job, the benefits far outweigh the disadvantages which primarily is the commute. In other news husband has been offered a new job as well, its closer to home better shifts and better pay and there is more scope for advancement so....he is going to take it. New jobs all round :-)

My mum has very kindly offered us some money to get our kitchen done, we already have the kitchen units and appliance just no tap, worktops or handles so I have started the process of arranging electricians, plumbers, skips etc. I'm going to update my to do list as our jobs will have totally changed.
    To Do List

- 3 NSD's 1/3

New List
    - sort plumber
    -sort electrician
    - get skip
    - buy worktops, handles, tap, tiles
    - sort plasterer

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 4th Jul 16, 12:45 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    All systems go on the kitchen, electrician arranged, 2 kitchen fitters coming round to give us quotes, plasterer lined up to give us a quote and plumber arranged to carry out the work this week. I batched cooked yesterday and have 3x chilli, 3 x spag bol, 4 x curry and 2x beef and ale. So we have a few teas sorted for when we lose the oven. Not looking forward to the mess though!!

To Do List

- 3 NSD's 1/3
    - sort plumber -done
    -sort electrician -done
    - get skip
    - buy worktops, handles, tap, tiles-samples in the post, sinks shortlisted but dependant on worktop
    - sort plasterer arranged a quote

New List
    - kitchen fitter

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 11th Jul 16, 11:38 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Still looking for a plasterer but everything else is slowly coming together, I'm now without a cooker but are managing well so far.

DH first day at his new job today fingers crossed it goes well. I've had a bit of spare time so I've updated our budgets and next years forecast to reflect our new wages/spending.

To Do List

- 3 NSD's 0/3
    - sort plumber -done and work complete
    -sort electrician -done
    - get skip
    - buy worktops, handles, tap, tiles-got samples and chosen just need to order now
    - sort plasterer arranged a quote, didn't turn up!! trying to find a replacement
    - kitchen fitter -sorted just need to confirm a date when we have a plasterer

New List
    - after first new wage contact student loans company about swapping to a d/d as I'm within 12 months of paying my loan off

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 13th Jul 16, 11:33 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Plasterer sorted, door knob sample ordered, tap ordered, going picking up the sink on Saturday, worktops ordered. So I've just got to wait on electrician confirming that he can come before the plasterer, order the doors and flooring and decide on knobs once my sample gets here. Phew I have been busy :-)

I've signed my contract for my new job and start date has been confirmed for the 1st August, it's going to be a stretch money wise as I end up going 6 weeks without a full pay, swapping from mid month to end of the month pay. Hopefully this will be eased with my 4 days holiday being paid next month rather than this month and I'm putting material purchases on the credit card and keeping the cash for labour that spreads it a bit better and I won't leave myself short.

To Do List

- 3 NSD's 0/3
    - sort plumber -done and work complete
    -sort electrician -done
    - get skip
    - buy worktops, handles, tap, tiles-waiting on door knob sample and need to pick up sink and look at flooring
    - sort plasterer done
    - kitchen fitter -sorted just need to confirm a date when we have a plasterer
    - after first new wage contact student loans company about swapping to a d/d as I'm within 12 months of paying my loan off

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 19th Jul 16, 12:31 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    My kitchen is being plastered as I write this!! The kitchen fitter is booked for a week on Saturday which leaves us a week and a half to paint, do skirting's, window boards, swap plates on sockets/switches, install the radiator, install light and maybe blinds and then shop for flooring.

To Do List

- 3 NSD's 0/3
    - get skip
    - buy worktops, handles, tap, tiles-waiting on door knob sample and need to pick up sink and look at flooring
    - sort plasterer done and plastering
    - kitchen fitter -date confirmed
    I'm not in a rush for the flooring, part of me wants to see the kitchen installed first and there is a layer of vinyl tiles stuck to the concrete floors that can't be removed so in the short term we have a floor we can live with.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 27th Jul 16, 11:58 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Trying to sort all the jobs I can before I start my new job next week, I've sorted the travel insurance for my girly trip next month £2.21 (bargain!!) and applied for a balance transfer for my one credit card left, the 0% runs out next month and I got it fee free :-)

Feeling very organised!!

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 16th Aug 16, 2:44 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    It's been a crazy few weeks with starting my new job and then going away with my friend so I haven't been on here much.

The kitchen fitter let us down so it's going to be another couple of weeks before the kitchen is finished but it will all be worth it in the end.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 23rd Aug 16, 11:40 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Another kitchen fitter has been found, hoping for a start mid next week :-)

I have got my first pay slip and rung up the student loan company to swap to a direct debit, for some reason they want to reduce the payment amount by around half of what is taken out of my new wage and extend the repayment period from 9 to 18 months. I can only assume they make more in interest that way. I asked to increase it to my current deduction amount but he said if I want to pay off more I'll have to make an overpayment through the website, a right faff every month!!

- 3 NSD's 0/3
    - get skip- getting it this week I think
    - buy worktops, handles, tap, tiles-just tiles to sort now
    - kitchen fitter -another sorted

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 30th Aug 16, 2:26 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    A very productive weekend and gorgeous weather as well :-)

Managed to get a lot done in the garden, lawn mown, seeded and fed. Hedge cut. Skip filled and ready to be collected, Garden weeded and decking stained. I ran out of stain to do the garage and the DIY shop had run out so I'm going to have a look online.

We didn't finish painting the kitchen but dh is on earlies this week so he will be able to do it in the afternoons when he finishes.

The food spend has gone over budget this month with us not having a kitchen for a lot longer than expected but it really couldn't be helped. I'm getting excited now about going shopping for the new kitchen.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 5th Sep 16, 4:31 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    The kitchen has been started!! I was an hour late for work and we are already missing a unit and a door but it's been started which is the main thing.

I might have to reduce the amount I've budgeted for the credit card this month to pay for the little extras but I have to bear in mind that we are trying to finish off the house so we can sell it as well as paying off our debts. An overpayment of £500 is still great and it's no good paying off the debts and then not being able to move as we have a load of jobs to do, there needs to be some balance.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 15th Sep 16, 3:50 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    It's finished.....sort of!! I'm still missing some doors, we need a last coat of paint, radiator fitting and the skirting/flooring doing, not that I've chosen the flooring yet! so not quite finished but the end is in sight.

DH and I had a chat the other night and as we are both so busy with and want to actually spend time together as a family we think the best way forward is to bite the bullet and get someone in to decorate the bathroom, hall and ds room as a job lot.

Then in terms of other jobs.

- We can manage the bedroom between me, my mum and dh.
    - DH can finish the garden jobs (last 2m of driveway/corner of fencing/grass/planter/water to garage) with me and ds 'helping'
    - I can paint the fence, decking and wooden bit on the garage.
    - soffits/facias/ridge tiles we will review later

So it's going to be very busy!!

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 16th Sep 16, 11:41 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Door knobs are on, radiator is on which means the heating is back on and I can have a bath!!! Plans for the weekend are connecting the oven/hob/dishwasher and finishing painting. I might go and have a look at flooring.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 26th Sep 16, 11:44 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Still not much further on, spark let us down so the oven still isn't connected, I'm going floor shopping this weekend and the painting is being put on hold until the floor is down as dh says he will just end up scuffing the walls when laying the floor.

On to non kitchen related news. It's payday for us on Friday (x3!!!!) my pay is going to a bit more than last month due to my student loan being stopped and my d/d only kicking in next month, childcare vouchers also start which save me a few quid.

I bought a couple of xmas prezzies in the @rgos 3for2 and a birthday present. I got J0hn lewis to price match my kettle, much more convenient to pick it up from there as it is across the road from the office and bought a fruit bowl and new tea/coffee/sugar jars most of which was paid for by my payout from t0pcashback :-) Just need to pop to the cheap card shop and stock up as I'm running out.

Booked dh's car in for an MOT (45% off) and it passed today yey!! but got a letter from the HMRC about dh not paying NI when he was self employed, he didn't pay it as his earnings weren't over the threshold and I wrote to them a year ago (the last time they sent a letter) telling them this grrrrrr to make it even more annoying they don't put a phone number, address, email or even a fax nr on the letter, just assume that you will pay it, so annoyed. Off to write a letter.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 3rd Oct 16, 11:36 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Christmas present buying is well underway. Most of the nieces/nephews have been sorted as have the cousins. DH and I have agreed to buy something for each other on holiday, I'm after some new perfume :-) biggest one left to buy is ds, I'm waiting for a decent offer on a ds xl. I have even bought all my wrapping paper bows etc. Normally we (ds and I) make cards for the family so we don't buy specific mum/dad/granddad etc cards but as we are going away this year I don't know if we will have the time so I'm undecided.

Starting my to do list to keep me focused

- 3 NSD's 0/3
    - get another skip
    - buy tiles
    - sort wardrobes in ds bedroom, he needs a new one when we re do his room and I want to get a smaller one to make the room look bigger which means I need to de clutter.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 6th Oct 16, 11:41 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Updated my budget for this month as it appears childcare fees are going to be a bit less than expected, around £50 less, this is due to dh being able to pick him up earlier when he is one the early shifts.

I've bought a few more Xmas presents I managed to get 4 men's gifts in the B00ts 50% off last Friday and I saw a post of faceb00k for the local gift shop advertising some candle sets and reed diffusers for 50% off so I've reserved 3 and will collect them on Saturday.

I got some tile sample at the weekend and unfortunately the one I like best is the most expensive so I have ordered a few more samples online in similar colours, fingers crossed I find a cheaper version.

Ds parents evening went really well, I'm so glad that I took the risky decision to swap his schools last year it has worked out wonderfully and he is so much happier and progressing well.

- 3 NSD's 1/3
    - get another skip
    - buy tiles
    - sort wardrobes in ds bedroom, he needs a new one when we re do his room and I want to get a smaller one to make the room look bigger which means I need to de clutter- This may be hard to do while i'm filling it with xmas prezzies!!

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 12th Oct 16, 1:26 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    I had a productive weekend sorting out the wardrobes in ds bedroom everything has either been chucked, put in a pile to go in the loft, put in the charity shop pile or put back in the single wardrobe to be transferred into the new wardrobe when I get round to buying it. Hopefully dh should have some time to collapse the double wardrobe and skip it and put stuff in the loft

- 3 NSD's 1/3
    - get another skip done
    - buy tiles - I don't like the cheaper sample so I think we are just going to get the more expensive ones :-(
    - sort wardrobes in ds bedroom, he needs a new one when we re do his room and I want to get a smaller one to make the room look bigger which means I need to de clutter- done

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 31st Oct 16, 9:30 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Just when everything seems to be going ok, my car gets stolen from the driveway. So angry and upset!!

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • sugarcube84
    • By sugarcube84 15th Nov 16, 11:24 AM
    • 487 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    sugarcube84
    Car was found the next day, such a waste of my no claims and excess just for someone to have a jolly in it for a few hours :-(

Anyway onwards and upwards, we have no only got 2 payment each to make to our credit cards and then the debt is gone. Last payments will be January rather than December, we will have the balance of the holiday to pay but will have it saved up before we make the payment. So as of mid Jan i'll be classing us as debt free, so exciting!!!! I'll be updating the signature as well but we are almost there.

Amount Paid off 69.38%
    • crunch_time
    • By crunch_time 15th Nov 16, 12:44 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    crunch_time
    Ooh so close!!! Xx
    June 2014 £23,555 vs Now £10,500 (Loan)
    Smashed my credit card for the last time £1275 PAID OFF!!!
    Next up - Husbands Credit card £1461
    0% Credit card £950/£1096
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

621Posts Today

3,767Users online

Martin's Twitter