Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    InsideInsurance
    Yodel - shockingly bad - email address anyone?
    • 9th Sep 11, 9:22 AM
    Yodel - shockingly bad - email address anyone? 9th Sep 11 at 9:22 AM
    Bought from an online retailer purely because they do next day delivery and the next day is the only time someone will be available for delivery.

Call the retailer to place the order because I know delivery is difficult at my address due to security gates and a complex buzzer system. Retailer speaks to Yodel (ex-DHL part) for the order and instruct them to call me to gain access to the property.

I have to go out unexpectedly the next day so call the depot at 9am, they say they will send a message to the driver giving the wifes mobile as she will be in all day.

10:58 failed delivery message with online tracker, no calls made to either phone. 11:10 get through to the depot who try to call the driver but cant get through so say they left a message instructing the driver to redelivery and to call the depot to confirm instructions.

4pm still no call so call the depot again. They call the driver again. They say the driver has both the telephone numbers, is doing the last collections and will then redeliver. ETA for delivery 6pm ish

6:38pm Tracking updates to returned to depot. Call depot at 6:40 told that the driver probably didnt have telephone numbers. Then said about other messages and woman says her 3 colleagues had probably not done what they had said.

Offered before 11am delivery. Explain reason for paying for next day was to get it the next day not the day after because wife is going on holiday and I am out for long hours with work. I say that they can deliver before 8:30am or after 7:30pm as their website state 7-9 deliveries. She laughs, says their website lies too! 9:30 is the earliest to my area and 6pm the latest.

I tell them to return the item to the retailer as it will be 2 weeks before the next time someone can wait in all day. She says ok.

Next morning? 8:30 - parcel out for delivery.

Can a company get any more incompetent?

Does anyone know the email structure for their senior management team? firstname.lastname@yodel.co.uk bounces.
Page 8
  • fattybumble85
    I've had a shocking experience with Yodel and my 75 Amazon order that is now god knows where. Someone called Jones signed for it - funnily enough there is no-one of that name in this building, hmm! And plus I was in at the time they supposedly delivered.
    I've emailed Amazon today and told them that if Yodel is their preferred courier I will not be ordering from them again.

After my email to them I got a dispatch notice for my bargainous Nigella Christmas today and sadly that is being sent by Yodel. I might as well start looking for a replacement now as that will be another order I'll never receive. Glad I have nothing else waiting to be dispatched.
  • gwapenut
    Can the Forum moderators PLEASE get a message to Martin? There needs to be a National campaign about ALL the "delivery services" (i.e. NO deliveries, No Service at all). I previously had no luck getting deliveries from DHL or City Link and Now YODEL are similalry failing.
    As customers who have paid for a delivery WHY are we asked to COllect our items?
    I have had three packages due and failed deliveries in the last month all via YODEL. One Amazon market seller business who is refusing to deal with the issue, one from Lego and 2 direct Amazon sales. yes that doesn't add up, one of these is a returns collection to Amazon.
    Yodel's website arranged the collection automatically but then I get an email from the company saying they wont collect till 2 days later than thier OWN SYSTEM booked it.
    I did raise my issues with Amazon and they have sent the other item out by Royal mail. I'm still down by two purchases and one return. A Yodel driver even bullied my son (14) into signing for an item I had told the company to return to sender after they had failed to deliver within the promised 5 days. The company (YDOEL) have not replied to any contact I have made to them about this.

I am actively asking each online retailer BEFORE purchase who they post with and will now only buy an item if they will use the Royal Mail. YODEL do not deliver.
    Originally posted by Mike_s
    Report the amazon marketplace seller to trading standards and cite yodel as the delivery agent.
    Last edited by gwapenut; 05-12-2011 at 7:00 PM.
  • gwapenut
    you seem to be forgetting a small matter
    the millions of people who are happy with the service they receive
    the majority of people who post on forums will those with problems
    If you dont like the service then don't use the companies offering it
    Originally posted by custardy
    So are you forgetting something I'm afraid ... all companies, good and bad, do have, as you say, at least a minority of unhappy customers who complain.

The difference between yodel and a good company is that good companies do not either encourage, or pressurise (jury's out on this one) their drivers to fabricate fictitious delivery records.

This is not purely a matter of statistics - yodel's management style is resulting in some delivery driversat least feeling the need to lie about the work they've preformed that day.
  • custardy
    So are you forgetting something I'm afraid ... all companies, good and bad, do have, as you say, at least a minority of unhappy customers who complain.

The difference between yodel and a good company is that good companies do not either encourage, or pressurise (jury's out on this one) their drivers to fabricate fictitious delivery records.

This is not purely a matter of statistics - yodel's management style is resulting in some delivery driversat least feeling the need to lie about the work they've preformed that day.
    Originally posted by gwapenut
    and you think yodel are the only delivery company doing the same?
    the difference between a 'good' company and Yodel can be as simple as how far along the route you live
  • gwapenut
    and you think yodel are the only delivery company doing the same?
    the difference between a 'good' company and Yodel can be as simple as how far along the route you live
    Originally posted by custardy
    I can only speak in previous comments of the lies I have been told by Yodel, but in this case I was responding about your reply to Mike_S who had stated 'There needs to be a National campaign about ALL the "delivery services"'.

I deliberately didn't use the phrase "good *delivery* company". If this is, as you imply, industry standard, then Mike_S isn't "forgetting something", he's absolutely correct in stating that there needs to be a national campaign against ALL delivery services.

Despite deliberately not using the phrase 'good delivery company', I later confused matters - I agree in hindsight it was badly worded in terms of using "drivers" as an example, but the analogy runs to all kinds of staff.
    Last edited by gwapenut; 05-12-2011 at 7:48 PM.
  • custardy
    I can only speak in previous comments of the lies I have been told by Yodel, but in this case I was responding about your reply to Mike_S who had stated 'There needs to be a National campaign about ALL the "delivery services"'.

I deliberately didn't use the phrase "good *delivery* company". If this is, as you imply, industry standard, then Mike_S isn't "forgetting something", he's absolutely correct in stating that there needs to be a national campaign against ALL delivery services.

Despite deliberately not using the phrase 'good delivery company', I later confused matters - I agree in hindsight it was badly worded in terms of using "drivers" as an example, but the analogy runs to all kinds of staff.

and what do you think a national campaign would end in?
    where do you think the likes of HDNL,yodel etc get their custom?
    its price driven
    customers dont want to pay(just look at the uproar on stamp prices) and businesses need the cheapest services to get custom.
    the couriers need the lowest prices to get the contracts
  • gwapenut
    You're right, we should abolish all trading standards / office of fair trading activity and let all companies get away with everything. Because otherwise, companies like GroupOn wouldn't be able to advertise really cheap prices. Never mind the fact that not all price drops are realistic or all vouchers available, so long as customers get to buy not-as-advertised services at rock bottom prices, that's all that matters.
  • custardy
    You're right, we should abolish all trading standards / office of fair trading activity and let all companies get away with everything. Because otherwise, companies like GroupOn wouldn't be able to advertise really cheap prices. Never mind the fact that not all price drops are realistic or all vouchers available, so long as customers get to buy not-as-advertised services at rock bottom prices, that's all that matters.
    I'm telling you where its at.
    people are pushing to the lowest service levels through cost.
    RM is going the same ways. cut,cut,cut and that's with a regulated service
    boxes are ticked but the service drops
    raising the standards is fine but it will come at a real cost.
    Royal Mail SD has a high success rate (probably sitting 99%) but its far more expensive than a courier through a reseller
  • chris_griffiths_uk
    Hi all

Unfortunately it is getting far to common for complaints to start piling up against Yodel and their customer services (or lack of).

Have you considered DX?

ive had shocking service via yodel too.

After waiting in all day I called them and they called the driver to be told was told that the driver couldnt get access.
    I have cctv and was at the property all the time so knew that was a lie. I called them and told them so and strangly 10 minutes later the driver turned up and denied saying he couldnt get access. I called the retailer who checked their tracking system and it stated unable to get access too. I escalated it and the retailer (eurocarparts) was taking it up with yodel as they were not happy at all.

avoid them at all costs (yodel that is)
    Originally posted by whitelabel
  • chris_griffiths_uk
    Unfortunately Yodel appear to currently be the preferred courier for Amazon. Hopefully that will change soon.

Try DX maybe?

I've had a shocking experience with Yodel and my 75 Amazon order that is now god knows where. Someone called Jones signed for it - funnily enough there is no-one of that name in this building, hmm! And plus I was in at the time they supposedly delivered.
    I've emailed Amazon today and told them that if Yodel is their preferred courier I will not be ordering from them again.

After my email to them I got a dispatch notice for my bargainous Nigella Christmas today and sadly that is being sent by Yodel. I might as well start looking for a replacement now as that will be another order I'll never receive. Glad I have nothing else waiting to be dispatched.
    Originally posted by fattybumble85
  • cwobbles
    Has anyone got a list of service codes for the depots which get put on the back of missed delivery cards? It's really hard to do anything without it and without a delivery card on a returned to depot package (no comments to say delivery attempted or card left, house was occupied the whole time etc etc) the nightmare that is the Yodel "customer service" line really starts to wind me up! :P

I'm specifically after the Brighton depot code so I can at least try for redelivery..... where it went for 5 days I have no idea...

Status Date Time Signatory Branch Comments
    Parcel returned to delivery depot 03/12/11 09:41 BRIGHTON SERVICE CENTRE
    Out for delivery 28/11/11 08:45 BRIGHTON HOME DELIVERY
    Passed to delivery courier 28/11/11 07:48 BRIGHTON SERVICE CENTRE
    Arrived At Depot 28/11/11 07:09 BRIGHTON SERVICE CENTRE
    Departed Depot 27/11/11 11:03 WEDNESBURY HUB
    Arrived At Depot 27/11/11 11:00 WEDNESBURY HUB
    Parcel data received awaiting coll. 27/11/11 SHEFFIELD SERVICE CENTRE
    Last edited by cwobbles; 06-12-2011 at 12:29 PM.
  • howcanitbe
    Having just read the comments about Yodel, I think I could have written many of them myself. Having ordered some items on a shop's website in the store itself, I was delighted to find that the same evening I had an email from them notifying me that the goods had been dispatched and were in one of Yodel's warehouses. Great service!
    Yodel delivered unannounced on a Sunday morning whilst we were out but left a card explaining how to reschedule the delivery. I did this on their automated phone service for the day after, Monday. I was informed that the delivery would be between 7am and 7pm! They also asked for permission to save my phone number to which I agreed. I waited on the Monday- no show.
    The next day, I rang the particular warehouse and was met with a frosty comment saying I should have used the automated service. When I asked about the delivery, I was told that it was in the van and en route. Asked if the driver would give me a call, I was told that the company did not issue company mobile phones and that the driver in question always had his own switched off thus rendering him incommunicado. It seems strange that they asked for my number and then never used it to contact me.
    I am still waiting for our goods. It's only a day and a half late but we'll see! If my very brief encounter with Yodel is representative of their overall performance......well! I have made my feelings clear about them to the shop who is using them to deliver its goods. What they do about it is up to them of course. I know what I would do.
  • gwapenut
    Here's your chance to feedback elsewhere and perhaps raise the profile ....

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-2070962/Surge-online-Christmas-shopping-triggers-warning-delivery-chaos.html

Bear in mind Yodel's broken promises were evident well before the Xmas rush.
  • pinkteapot
    City Link now top my list of cr*p couriers.

Missed a delivery yesterday. Went online to reschedule. I am off work on Tuesday so wanted to rearrange for then. It only offered me Thursday, Friday or Monday. I phoned them up and asked if they could rearrange for Tuesday. "No, because after five days it will be returned to sender." Can you leave it in a safe place then? "No". Can you leave it with my neighbour? "No."

They told me to collect. Depot is 75 mins away - a two and a half hour round trip.

City Link then tell me that I should speak to the shop I ordered from as the shop can authorize them to redeliver on Tuesday.

How does that make sense? At least Parcel Force, Royal Mail and Yodel give you more than just three days as options when it comes to redelivery.

Ho hum, will speak to the shop today.

EDIT: Shop has sorted it - redelivery on Tuesday.
    Last edited by pinkteapot; 07-12-2011 at 3:14 PM.
  • custardy
    City Link now top my list of cr*p couriers.

Missed a delivery yesterday. Went online to reschedule. I am off work on Tuesday so wanted to rearrange for then. It only offered me Thursday, Friday or Monday. I phoned them up and asked if they could rearrange for Tuesday. "No, because after five days it will be returned to sender." Can you leave it in a safe place then? "No". Can you leave it with my neighbour? "No."

They told me to collect. Depot is 75 mins away - a two and a half hour round trip.

City Link then tell me that I should speak to the shop I ordered from as the shop can authorize them to redeliver on Tuesday.

How does that make sense? At least Parcel Force, Royal Mail and Yodel give you more than just three days as options when it comes to redelivery.

Ho hum, will speak to the shop today.
    Originally posted by pinkteapot
    because thats the contract terms the sender has set
  • Jo_Mc
    Well I have two parcels which have been out for delivery with Yodel since 3.51am on Monday morning and there's no sign of them yet....
  • Delivery Driver
    Having just read the comments about Yodel, I think I could have written many of them myself. Having ordered some items on a shop's website in the store itself, I was delighted to find that the same evening I had an email from them notifying me that the goods had been dispatched and were in one of Yodel's warehouses. Great service!
    Yodel delivered unannounced on a Sunday morning whilst we were out but left a card explaining how to reschedule the delivery. I did this on their automated phone service for the day after, Monday. I was informed that the delivery would be between 7am and 7pm! They also asked for permission to save my phone number to which I agreed. I waited on the Monday- no show.
    The next day, I rang the particular warehouse and was met with a frosty comment saying I should have used the automated service. When I asked about the delivery, I was told that it was in the van and en route. Asked if the driver would give me a call, I was told that the company did not issue company mobile phones and that the driver in question always had his own switched off thus rendering him incommunicado. It seems strange that they asked for my number and then never used it to contact me.
    I am still waiting for our goods. It's only a day and a half late but we'll see! If my very brief encounter with Yodel is representative of their overall performance......well! I have made my feelings clear about them to the shop who is using them to deliver its goods. What they do about it is up to them of course. I know what I would do.
    Originally posted by howcanitbe
    We are not issued with a company phone and the idea that I would have to preadvise the people I am delivering to is totally impractical.I have been delivering 200+ parcels a day and to call even half of those would take at least an hour-time in which I should be delivering parcels.To pay clerical staff to do it would require an extra member of staff for every 4-5 drivers.This is never going to happen as it would be hugely expensive.
    Unless you have paid for a timed delivery slot(3 hour windows eg 7-10,8-11 etc) then 7am-7pm is as good a guess as the person on the phone will be able to give you.
    Your goods were attempted on sunday, so technicly not late through any fault of Yodel.
  • Doc N
    We are not issued with a company phone and the idea that I would have to preadvise the people I am delivering to is totally impractical.I have been delivering 200+ parcels a day and to call even half of those would take at least an hour-time in which I should be delivering parcels.To pay clerical staff to do it would require an extra member of staff for every 4-5 drivers.This is never going to happen as it would be hugely expensive.
    Unless you have paid for a timed delivery slot(3 hour windows eg 7-10,8-11 etc) then 7am-7pm is as good a guess as the person on the phone will be able to give you.
    Originally posted by Delivery Driver
    And yet DPD manage to do it - you get a 2 hour slot as part of the standard service. And it can't be that difficult (or expensive) to achieve, or Amazon wouldn't be using DPD.

Feedback to Amazon has, I gather, been excellent for DPD, reasonable for CityLink - but awful for Yodel. It won't take Amazon too long to decide what to do - they really do NOT like hacking off their customers.
  • Pipeorgandude
    I've been waiting for a parcel from Dabs.com, since Friday 2nd December. Delivery time 2 to 3 days.
    There was no delivery. There parcel tracking system says "No one to receive, card left".
    We were home all day and the letter box was empty. I conclude that there was no attempt at all to make the delivery. A phone call to Yodelay raised a pleasant lady who re-booked the delivery for Tuesday 6th. Apparently it was not possible to deliver on Monday. Well, it's 8th December now, still nothing.
    Dabs said they would chase it up, but I've had no feedback.
    Dabs sent a satisfaction survey by email so I started to complete it. It must have a negativity detector in the software, as when I got to the final page, the "Close Window" button wouldn't work.
  • KxMx
    Well I had some books sent via Yodel 36 hours ago and still waiting for tracking to kick in!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

6,303Posts Today

8,011Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Disgraceful upsell on "The Bank" on BBC2. Young woman goes in for £1,500 loan gets sold £3,000 more. A BANK'S JOB IS TO SELL NOT ADVISE!

• Facebook's the new eBay - 27 tricks on flogging stuff for FREE... http://t.co/E9jppI9cn2

• How many times have you (or your household) switched energy provider in the last 5 years? PLEASE VOTE... http://t.co/UIUfLij3Zl

• Follow Martin