Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Household & Travel > Praise, Vent & Warnings > Tesco pet insurance - warning (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
Tesco pet insurance - warning
Closed Thread
Views: 9,161
# 1
unluckychappie
Old 06-09-2011, 6:12 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Default Tesco pet insurance - warning

We cancelled insurance in May on the policy renewal anniversary and the direct debit, and insured with another company. Tesco have since awarded their pet insurance business to RSA who reinstated the payments from July.

It will take them two days to contact the previous insurers. Fortunately we kept the letter from Tesco stating the policy had expired so I expect a swift resolution.

Direct debits, don't you hate them.
# 2
Azari
Old 06-09-2011, 6:22 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by unluckychappie View Post
Direct debits, don't you hate them.
No.

If you cancelled the DD with the bank then there is no way that anyone can 'reinstate' it.

If you didn't, then you can tell the bank that the payment was unauthorised and you require its immediate reversal. You may need to be firm with them but they will do it.

Direct debits are superb for making life easier. There may be the odd occasion when something goes wrong but with a DD you are far better protected than with any other payment method.
# 3
unluckychappie
Old 06-09-2011, 6:44 PM
MoneySaving Convert

The direct debit was cancelled with the bank.
# 4
shaun from Africa
Old 06-09-2011, 7:20 PM

Quote:
If you cancelled the DD with the bank then there is no way that anyone can 'reinstate' it.
Yes they can.

I used to have a DD set up with for a monthly payment to EON and this was cancelled when I switched suppliers. (I cancelled it myself via online banking and printed out a copy of the DD list confirming that this debit was no longer active).
3 months later EON decided to start taking regular payments again and this took a fair while to finally get sorted.

Even when you cancel a DD, the details are still held in the system and even though it shouldn't be possible for payments to be requested and paid, this does seem to be allowed to happen occasionally.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shaun from Africa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 5
arcon5
Old 06-09-2011, 7:26 PM

Are the Tesco & EON DDs setup online? They probably store your details in their system then reprint a mandate form and send it to the bank again. Seems odd being able to charge it after being cancelled.
The Following User Says Thank You to arcon5 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 6
shaun from Africa
Old 07-09-2011, 12:17 PM

I don't know about Tesco, but yes, the EON debit was all done online.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shaun from Africa For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
unluckychappie
Old 07-09-2011, 12:38 PM
MoneySaving Convert

There was a two month delay between extractions. Presumably the mandate list was prepared by company A some time before the transfer of business to company B. In the meantime we had cancelled, but A failed to inform B. The names on the mandate had changed from 'Tesco Insurance' to 'RSAIPLC-TESCO BANK', a really simple macro change but one I was not looking for.

After cancellation I had checked two statements to ensure that the original DD was not being collected but then had a rest from statement scrutiny over the summer. Shall not do that again.

I have been stung by DD errors in the past such as double withdrawal, even times ten on one occasion, and I am again noticing some companies collecting at the end of the month instead of the start. When I was paid on the last working day of the month this was a worrying period, especially if the payment was for the mortgage.

Anyway, thanks for your comments on your thread and hope you have a hassle free DD experience.
# 8
biggaz26
Old 07-09-2011, 1:34 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

What I found absolutely asstounding is that a direct debit can be set up for any amount without a signature.

If some one gets your bank account number and sort code there is nothing to stop them taking any amount of money on a DD (unless there is a limit to how much a DD can take, im not sure on that)

Bearing in mind how much secrity we have to go throught to get an account of use a debit/credit card. DD's seem inadiquately protected to me.

G
One day some company will do what they say they will do and charge a fair charge.

Not doing the opposite of that which they promise and charge you a fortune for the privaledge.:confused:

Or maybe not
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to biggaz26 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 9
michaelhall
Old 17-11-2011, 11:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Tesco direct debit / pet insurance

Just checked my bank statement and noticed that Tesco are taking £17 a month from my account. It's been happening since June at least. I cancelled our pet insurance when it came up for renewal over a year ago. Will be going to my bank and calling Tesco's tomorrow. I reckon they could owe me well over £100.

It is shocking how they can start taking payments without a signature, especially as my original premium was for much less.
# 10
Den26
Old 02-12-2011, 4:44 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

This happened to me, I cancelled the DD two months ago. The new Tesco brokers reinstated it today and deducted £10. I called them and they said cancelling the DD online was not enough I needed to let them know by phone so I will not get my money back. I put it down to lesson learned.
# 11
Caroline73
Old 02-12-2011, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhall View Post
Just checked my bank statement and noticed that Tesco are taking £17 a month from my account. It's been happening since June at least. I cancelled our pet insurance when it came up for renewal over a year ago. Will be going to my bank and calling Tesco's tomorrow. I reckon they could owe me well over £100.

It is shocking how they can start taking payments without a signature, especially as my original premium was for much less.
It's shocking how you could miss unauthorized direct debits for 6 months.
Don't look at me, I'm irrelevant.
# 12
SnowTiger
Old 02-12-2011, 5:07 PM
Serious MoneySaving Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den26 View Post
This happened to me, I cancelled the DD two months ago. The new Tesco brokers reinstated it today and deducted £10. I called them and they said cancelling the DD online was not enough I needed to let them know by phone so I will not get my money back. I put it down to lesson learned.
Insurance policies usually automatically renew unless you contract the insurer to cancel.

According to the Direct Debit Guarantee "You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify us."

So, you could contact your bank and ask for a refund under the Direct Debit Guarantee, pointing out that you'd cancelled the direct debit authorisation. However, as you hadn't cancelled the insurance policy you may still be liable for the fee.
# 13
timbstoke
Old 02-12-2011, 7:00 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Send a message via ICQ to timbstoke Send a message via MSN to timbstoke Send a message via Skype™ to timbstoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den26 View Post
Contact your bank. Now. Tell them you never authorised the DD to be reinstated, and the debit is not authorised by you. Be firm. The direct debit guarantee is VERY clear on this:

Quote:
If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by (insert your organisation name) or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.
Note: Your Bank is responsible for refunding you, NOT the company who set up the DD. Your case is covered by the very first example on the Ombudsman page: http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.u...-guarantee.htm
[Credit Utilisation: £2000/£6400: ■■■□□□□□□□ 53%]
[House Fund £0/£10,000: □□□□□□□□□□ 0%]
[Budget Status: ]
Closed Thread