Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

• MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,996Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
    • 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories 10th Jan 07 at 12:02 PM
    MSE Insert!

Forumite lanerideruk successfully reclaimed 19 years' worth of council tax - £2,400! Join and let us know what you've reclaimed too.

Read how to do it yourself:

This thread is especially for reporting your successes in getting your council tax rebanded plus refunds.

The aim is to show others that it works.

Please report your successes here, if possible in the format:

Local Borough Council:
    Council Tax Band Before:
    Council Tax Band After:
    Amount refunded:
    Annual saving going forward:

Plus if possible a few details on your experiences.IMPORTANT NOTE! This thread is only to report succcesses

Please note this thread is ONLY for reporting successes/experiences. It isn't for answering questions, discussing what to do, or postulating on the general issues; any posts of that nature will be deleted. If you want to do that please instead go to the Discussion on Council Tax Cost Cutting

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:15 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts:

Page 87
    • ReginaldP
    • By ReginaldP 16th Oct 16, 11:50 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tribunal Success
    Local Borough Council: Hillingdon
    Council Tax Band Before: F
    Council Tax Band After: E
    Amount refunded: £300 (approx.)
    Annual saving going forward: £300 (approx.)

Martin & team, thank you for your very useful and comprehensive guide on challenging Council Tax bands.
    I downsized last December from a large 3 bed detached house to a small 2 bed bungalow just around the corner (and am now mortgage free!). I was surprised when I received my council tax bill - I was still a band F. A check on your guide soon showed me the right websites to get the information on local council tax bands of neighbours. I checked on several local similar houses and found that they were a mixture of Band E & F. It seems that 11 people in the area challenged their bands and were reduced to band E, but others haven't challenged. I applied to the VOA straight away for a reduction but was refused. The main reason appeared to be that my house sold in 1993 for £121k - just above the band F threshold, and the listing officer relied on the difficult state of the housing market and believed prices were falling at the time and would have been higher in 1991. As your guide states, this next step is a bit more tricky. I did have to do a lot of research, but some of the similar houses had sold for less than £120k but generally there was a serious lack of housing price data. Local knowledge told me that the lack of price data was because not many houses are sold (obvious when you think about it!). People like the area and stay here for a long time - that creates a demand. This was supported by the other local bungalows which had sold for over £120k after 1991. I decided to challenge the VOA decision and went to a Valuation Tribunal. It did take quite a bit of work and nearly 6 months but I felt it was a fair process and they found in my favour in the end.
    So, many nearby households are in band F - only because they have not challenged their banding. Nobody will do it for them... get checking now!
    I'm now due a refund of around £300 and will save just as much every year - on top of all the other savings you've made me. Thanks again!
    • thxultra73
    • By thxultra73 18th Oct 16, 8:24 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Some advice please guys, 87 pages is too much to read I'm afraid. Ok I'm convinced I'm in the wrong council tax band. I'm currently in D but I believe I should be in C. I've done the neighbours check and all my neighbours are in D too. The problem is all these sites that do valuations comftably put me in C. I spoke to the valuation office today and they were very unhelpful. I explained my problem and they said my only hope was to find a similar property within 2 miles that's in a different band. I knew that I wouldn't so I asked what if I couldn't ? And what if everyone's else's bands were wrong ? The woman gave me no answer. When I mentioned these various valuation sites she dismissed them saying these don't count as evidence. What do I do now ?
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 18th Oct 16, 8:48 PM
    • 17,024 Posts
    • 7,580 Thanks
    Some advice please guys, 87 pages is too much to read I'm afraid.
    Originally posted by thxultra73
    No need to read this massive thread.
    Read here;
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

159Posts Today

1,438Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just changed my profile description. Wish I was cool and brave enough to go for one of those really short ones!

• Happy with my 15k time today, one of my fastest 1:18:56. Managing to keep up my 150k a month target.

• That's why I'm asking question. To see whether people perceive they are or aren't.

• Follow Martin