Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    • 1,872Posts
    • 5,995Thanks
    MSE Archna
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories
    • 10th Jan 07, 12:02 PM
    Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories 10th Jan 07 at 12:02 PM
    MSE Insert!

Forumite lanerideruk successfully reclaimed 19 years' worth of council tax - 2,400! Join and let us know what you've reclaimed too.

Read how to do it yourself:

This thread is especially for reporting your successes in getting your council tax rebanded plus refunds.

The aim is to show others that it works.

Please report your successes here, if possible in the format:

Local Borough Council:
    Council Tax Band Before:
    Council Tax Band After:
    Amount refunded:
    Annual saving going forward:

Plus if possible a few details on your experiences.IMPORTANT NOTE! This thread is only to report succcesses

Please note this thread is ONLY for reporting successes/experiences. It isn't for answering questions, discussing what to do, or postulating on the general issues; any posts of that nature will be deleted. If you want to do that please instead go to the Discussion on Council Tax Cost Cutting

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 24-08-2015 at 1:15 PM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 86
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 28th Mar 16, 2:28 PM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,892 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Refund should be automatic, but a 6 week wait isn't that excessive and they may credit your 2016/17 CT bill with any refund due. No harm in writing or phoning to find out what's happening
    • Mossey2
    • By Mossey2 13th Apr 16, 6:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Mossey2
    Milton Keynes Council
    Council Tax band D
    Lowered to band C
    Refund 1774

Amazed. Was so simple to do thanks to this site. Thank you Martin !
    • dodgy123
    • By dodgy123 29th Apr 16, 11:24 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    dodgy123
    Milton Keynes Council
    Council Tax band D
    Lowered to band C
    Refund 1774

Amazed. Was so simple to do thanks to this site. Thank you Martin !
    Originally posted by Mossey2

Me and Mossey2 showing MK council how its done, got 1280 back this week. Also got some very happy neighbours who've had theirs reduced too
    • Steve191r
    • By Steve191r 12th Jun 16, 7:52 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Steve191r
    Council tax rebanding
    I have a band c property and have been in the same house for 17 years and now been told by my neighbour that the properties in the street should be on a band B can I claim for this 17 years? And what is chance of succeeding in trying to claim and change to correct band ? Can anyone advise me the best way to go about this.

Kind regards

Charlotte
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 12th Jun 16, 8:46 PM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,892 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    I have a band c property and have been in the same house for 17 years and now been told by my neighbour that the properties in the street should be on a band B can I claim for this 17 years? And what is chance of succeeding in trying to claim and change to correct band ? Can anyone advise me the best way to go about this.

Kind regards

Charlotte
    Originally posted by Steve191r
    Why does your neighbour believe the CT bands should be Band B?
    • wiltshire rob
    • By wiltshire rob 24th Jun 16, 3:51 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wiltshire rob
    I challenged my banding and my band was reduced and i received a 5800 refund thank's Martin
    • Carnival
    • By Carnival 16th Jul 16, 1:57 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Carnival
    Another success!
    Liverpool City Council
    Previous Band: E
    New Band: D
    Refund: 6400
    New saving: 450 annually

I used all the information on this website and thoroughly researched everything before challenging. The neighbours' check was clearly the deciding factor!
    • gandaallen1
    • By gandaallen1 21st Jul 16, 11:37 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    gandaallen1
    10 Years overpayment refund
    PLYMOUTH CITY COUNCIL
    Was BAND C; now BAND B
    Refund - 1468.01

Did the 2 things suggested - compared house values to 2 local houses as suggested, and compared their banding compared to mine. They were in B, I was in C for 10 years!
    Sent off the info and got the standard letter saying it was rejected, but in small print it said but call as there may be circumstances permission to look at it will be granted. So I called, told them to the 2 things over the phone and they looked themselves at the banding whilst on the phone. Didn't hear any more for a few weeks until a letter today. Yay. Thank you MSE!
    • Daerve
    • By Daerve 5th Sep 16, 4:42 PM
    • 241 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    Daerve
    Worcestershire County Council changed my band from D to E after we moved last year.

Appealed and band was changed back to D.

Happy days....
    • mrlapes
    • By mrlapes 7th Sep 16, 11:02 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    mrlapes
    proof of sale price?
    i challenged my band and have been told from the council without proof of sale price from 1991 - nothing can be done

is this correct?
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Sep 16, 3:10 PM
    • 8,200 Posts
    • 5,892 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    i challenged my band and have been told from the council without proof of sale price from 1991 - nothing can be done

is this correct?
    Originally posted by mrlapes
    It will be the Valuation Office Agency who said this as they deal with CT bands not the council. Your band can be reviewed without this information, find similar properties nearby in a lower band and inform VOA of these.
    • LynnCrawford
    • By LynnCrawford 21st Sep 16, 3:42 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LynnCrawford
    Thank You MSE
    Dundee City
    Was Band G
    Now Band F
    Refunded 5035.16
    Monthly payment reduced by 28.25

23 years refunded!

When Mum passed away in April 2014, I inherited half and then bought my sister's half of the family home and moved in during Nov 2014 with the prospect of a long renovation project.
    In June this year, I was going through papers from Dad's estate and discovered that the house had been valued right in the middle of the Band F range in late 1990 for his estate. I did a bit of research on similar houses in the area and discovered that my neighbour and I were the only 2 Band G in the area. Interestingly, both she and Mum were recently divorced and widowed respectively and did not challenge the band at the outset.

Using your template as a guide, I contacted the Council by email and asked them to review the band. I pushed my luck and asked them to go back to the time of my Mum's ownership.

The Council surveyor came out to the house and I was able to prove that there had been no significant work done to the house until after April 1991 when the bands were set.

A couple of weeks later I was advised that my appeal had been successful and I was refunded 372.86 straight to my bank in a matter of days. The overpayment of 28.25 per month that had been made for 5 of the 10 payment months has been offset against the rest of the years's payments.
    I sent a further email thanking them for the payments relating to the time of my ownership and asking what consideration had been given to the period between April 1993 and Mum's passing in April 2014. The would have been a vacant possession full discount between then and the transfer to my name.

I have just received a letter from my solicitor advising that Mum's estate has been repaid 4521.05 and that my sister and I will each receive our half share tomorrow. Bear in mind that both Mum and I were entitled to 25% single occupancy discount so these figures are 75% of the full Council Tax value.

Sorry, long post, but I'm over the moon!! I am now helping my neighbour with her appeal.

Thank you Money Saving Expert!!
    • darich
    • By darich 22nd Sep 16, 9:59 AM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 1,008 Thanks
    darich
    I tried to have my band changed based on numerous identical properties within 200-300m of my house. They're all band D, I'm in Band E.
    I was refused based on the fact that I missed the 6month deadline (that I was unaware of) by 3 weeks.
    Despite me pointing out that any mistakes must be rectified regardless of when they are notified the council stood firm and I remained in Band E.

It still annoys me and I'm still sure I'm in the wrong band but the council refuses to budge!!

Keen photographer with sales in the UK and abroad.
    Willing to offer advice on camera equipment and photography if i can!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim's to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,962Posts Today

6,609Users online

Martin's Twitter